PDA

View Full Version : That most dreaded enemy...

Mikeus Caesar
03-11-2006, 13:56
...the bright green arrow. Will MTW2 be seeing a return to those bright green arrows that were at the foot of all your people during battles? I know it's quite easy to get rid of, but when you're playing your first ever TW game and don't have a clue how to get rid of these horrible green arrows, it's very offputting. Not to mention there's no real point to them (yes i know, bad pun).

The_White_Knight
03-11-2006, 14:49
The could indeed have found something more subtle, yet I found it kind of helped: in MTW battles you would often completely loose overview in the chaotic melees -i.e. not even knowing what units you have selected etc....

Edit: What's 'bad pun'? :help:

ivoignob
03-11-2006, 15:17
Glowing bulbs, green arrows, bouncing unit flags, now some way there must be, to indicate the selected unit. But I agree, those arrows were horrible.

Dutch_guy
03-11-2006, 15:38
As long as those features remain moddable, like they are now, I won't mind.

:balloon2:

Furious Mental
03-11-2006, 16:01
I also hope they get rid of the red line around the battlefield.

Kraxis
03-11-2006, 16:47
The bobbing flags were nice in a way. It wasn't as if I liked them, but they didn't spring into my eyes like the arrows. I tried playing with them, but they soon tired on me.
The bobbing flags could at least be imagined to be a man doing it. I don't know what kind of human action could create the arrows.

And while the lack of arrows mean a bit more confusion, that was not only bad. You only got confused when the big melee had started, the time when a real general also lost some sense of overview.

cutepuppy
03-11-2006, 17:13
Edit: What's 'bad pun'? :help:

It means that he made a bad joke. Talking about (the green) arrows, he says that there is no point to them. Arrows...no point... you got the clue?

Viking
03-11-2006, 19:41
I hope they`re back; or something equal. :book:

Kraxis
03-11-2006, 23:43
I hope they`re back; or something equal. :book:
The arrows?
Well, I can't say I agree, so my hope is that your hopes are dashed like a bag of potatoes caught in a tidalwave.~;)

screwtype
03-12-2006, 03:42
...the bright green arrow. Will MTW2 be seeing a return to those bright green arrows that were at the foot of all your people during battles? I know it's quite easy to get rid of, but when you're playing your first ever TW game and don't have a clue how to get rid of these horrible green arrows, it's very offputting. Not to mention there's no real point to them (yes i know, bad pun).

The green arrows were ugly, but even after modding them out, I hated the way selected units would still light up like fluorescent bulbs. In fact, I'm suprised more people didn't complain about it. I thought it made the game look damn silly - cartoonish.

What's the point in going to all that trouble with great 3D graphics when you are just going to light up units with ridiculous colours? It beats me.

I really, really hope this technique isn't used again in M2, or if it is that you can mod it out like the arrows. It's a total immersion buster for me.

Ludens
03-12-2006, 13:37
The green arrows were ugly, but even after modding them out, I hated the way selected units would still light up like fluorescent bulbs. In fact, I'm suprised more people didn't complain about it. I thought it made the game look damn silly - cartoonish.

What's the point in going to all that trouble with great 3D graphics when you are just going to light up units with ridiculous colours? It beats me.

I really, really hope this technique isn't used again in M2, or if it is that you can mod it out like the arrows. It's a total immersion buster for me.
I doesn't bother me. You have to do something to show which units and, given what a mess units can become after an intense melee, which soldiers are selected.

Mikeus Caesar
03-12-2006, 15:16

Actually, i didn't mind units lighting up like light bulbs. It was a good way of telling which men you've selected. Although i don't know why the unit flag had to bounce up and down. That was annoying...

Alexanderofmacedon
03-12-2006, 16:34
Yes, the sort of help me...

Maybe I've just never played without them, but it seems like it'd be a bit chaotic without them?:help:

Antagonist
03-12-2006, 18:33
The lighting effect doesn't bother me in theory, but it's too heavy in RTW, IMO. I would have preferred a subtler effect, less bright. It wouldn't surprise me if something like the green arrows is in MTW2 by default, but I don't mind as long as they're disableable. An in-game toggle option for those kind of UI effects would be great.

Antagonist

screwtype
03-13-2006, 02:44
Actually, i didn't mind units lighting up like light bulbs. It was a good way of telling which men you've selected. Although i don't know why the unit flag had to bounce up and down. That was annoying...

Okay, but the least they could do is make it moddable like the green arrows so that the people who don't like it can mod it out.

There was no such scheme in STW or MTW, and I had little trouble telling what was selected in those games.

Trajanus
03-13-2006, 07:20
STW and MTW had the flag bouncing up and down. Worked fine then as was a much more "realistic" way to see where your units are.

"Form line, draw swords, insert feet into flourescent green arrow holders, CHARGE!"

Seems slightly unrealistic.

Furious Mental
03-13-2006, 10:37
I think they should allow you to toggle it with a hot key.

Orda Khan
03-13-2006, 12:53
OK, the green arrows look ugly and so does the unit lighting up but what subtle method would we like to see that would make a selected unit instantly recognisable on a hectic battlefield? Bobbing banners were very difficult and with same faction allies you could end up losing the unit before you found it. At least the arrows make it hard NOT to see your unit. So let's try and think of a better alternative

........Orda

TB666
03-13-2006, 13:27
The green arrows were annoying so was the banners hence I turned it off.
But the lighting of the units selected was alright IMO.

Kraxis
03-13-2006, 18:42
OK, the green arrows look ugly and so does the unit lighting up but what subtle method would we like to see that would make a selected unit instantly recognisable on a hectic battlefield? Bobbing banners were very difficult and with same faction allies you could end up losing the unit before you found it. At least the arrows make it hard NOT to see your unit. So let's try and think of a better alternative

........Orda
I liked the confusion. Not that I like confusion in general, but it just seemed to fit. Of course I swore when I selected the wrong unit to sent the right unit to the wrong flank and so on, but somehow I just seemed to accept that that was the reality of it.

Of course, I doubt I would feel as well with the pace RTW is going. So perhaps we should find something.

Apparently it has to be less than green arrows or lightbulb people, but more than a bobbing banner (before thinking it over I was considering a tilting flag).
Clearly it has to be something that affects the entire unit, all men. That alone leaves us in a situation where we are forced to accept that it can be confusing (bobbing flags) or something that just looks silly (something that affects every man in the unit).

Since it has to be like that I think the lightbulb people is a fairly good choice. For those who wants control, it is enough, and for those who hates silliness (to use a word) then it is not as intrusive.

Viking
03-13-2006, 23:00
The arrows?
Well, I can't say I agree, so my hope is that your hopes are dashed like a bag of potatoes caught in a tidalwave.~;)

What a....most peculiar analogy.

HarunTaiwan
03-14-2006, 09:20
Maybe if you guys laid off the beers while playing you wouldn't get so confused.~:cheers: ~:cheers:

Akka
03-14-2006, 16:00
Actually, I was very pleased with the lighting.
It wasn't that unsubtle, it was in fact quite discreet, and still allowed to clearly see which units (and even which individual soldiers in a mélée) were selected.

I'm all for the lighting.

ivoignob
03-14-2006, 16:45
I had no problem with the bouncing flags in MTW. It is a good option between green arrows and lighting up. I am for bouncing flags!!! Why don't we make a poll for this?

Akka
03-14-2006, 17:50
I had no problem with the bouncing flags in MTW. It is a good option between green arrows and lighting up. I am for bouncing flags!!! Why don't we make a poll for this?
Bouncing flags don't let you know which man belong to which unit.
They aren't nearly as good.

myz
03-14-2006, 22:15
well, I wish they could make the battle field a little bit bigger, as it was in RTW, i often found that there was not enough room to maneuver your soldiers. If they double the size of the battel square, that would be more interesting. Also, the randomly generated maps start to look familiar after a while, so I wish there would be more variety in MTW2

ivoignob
03-14-2006, 22:36
well, I wish they could make the battle field a little bit bigger, as it was in RTW, i often found that there was not enough room to maneuver your soldiers. If they double the size of the battel square, that would be more interesting. Also, the randomly generated maps start to look familiar after a while, so I wish there would be more variety in MTW2

Hmm, my personal view is, that the battlefields are quite big. And AFAIK they are not generated randomly. Every square on campaign map has it's own battlefield. Even though I am not sure, if it is able to see Cyprus when fighting in front of Antioch, but I wasnt there either. Hmm, but what has this to do with the most dreaded enemy? :dizzy2:

screwtype
03-15-2006, 04:21
Actually, I was very pleased with the lighting.
It wasn't that unsubtle, it was in fact quite discreet, and still allowed to clearly see which units (and even which individual soldiers in a mélée) were selected.

I'm all for the lighting.

Look, I readily concede the lightbulb soldiers were practical. They were also just plain frickin' stoopid!

And ugly. AND immersion busting.

If you children really MUST have your lightbulb men, so be it. All I'm arguing for is an option to turn the lightbulb men OFF, just like the green arrows, so that hardcore realism buffs like me can also have their druthers.

Orda Khan
03-15-2006, 13:28
I think we could do with a poll for this question. So far we have possibly three suggestions....
Green arrows
Illuminated units
Banner movement
So far I would prefer to go back to the original banner movement, whether it bobs or is waved, it seems far more realistic

.......Orda

Vlad The Impala
03-15-2006, 13:38
How about something like the green arrows, but more subtle, both is colour and in shape/size? Grey(ish) triangles or something? Or they should give you the option to choose between three types of markers (and 'no marker') and the colour you want it to be...

caravel
03-15-2006, 14:06
Hopefully all the feedback markers will be easy to disable from the display or gameplay options and there should be an option "turn on the classic bouncing flags". :idea2:

Kraxis
03-15-2006, 14:19
Hopefully all the feedback markers will be easy to disable from the display or gameplay options and there should be an option "turn on the classic bouncing flags". :idea2:
Which would demand that the banner doesn't vanish when you get close.

screwtype
03-18-2006, 17:48
How about something like the green arrows, but more subtle, both is colour and in shape/size? Grey(ish) triangles or something? Or they should give you the option to choose between three types of markers (and 'no marker') and the colour you want it to be...

I don't really see why you *should* be able to spot every man in a unit anyhow. It's part of the fog of war that units get a bit messed up sometimes and you can't tell one from the other.

I mean, it's not as though real commanders in the field had a switch that would make all the men in their unit glow so they could tell where they were at.

Yeah, I agree with Orda. What's wrong with a waving or bouncing banner? Works for me.

Akka
03-23-2006, 13:43
Look, I readily concede the lightbulb soldiers were practical. They were also just plain frickin' stoopid!

And ugly. AND immersion busting.
No, no and no.
Maybe you hate them, but as for me, I saw them just a bit highlighted, which didn't bothered me the slightest.

If you children really MUST have your lightbulb men, so be it. All I'm arguing for is an option to turn the lightbulb men OFF, just like the green arrows, so that hardcore realism buffs like me can also have their druthers.
Fair point about being able to turn it off in the preference. Options are great to chose what you like and don't like.
But I don't want to let CA think that there is only people not liking the highlighting, and as such they CAN keep it for MTW2.

On the "children" point, you look much more immature with such calling that the ones it's directed at.
And being called a "child" at 27 is somewhat funny :laugh4:

Vlad The Impala
03-23-2006, 14:30
I mean, it's not as though real commanders in the field had a switch that would make all the men in their unit glow so they could tell where they were at.
True, but they probably had lieutenants (sp?) who at least knew where all the men in their unit were. ;-)