PDA

View Full Version : Roman Ingenuity Mod

B1ueBa11
03-16-2006, 22:53
History teaches us that the Roman army was an extremely versatile war machine. One of the reasons is that they would incorporate their vanquished enemy's skills and technology into their empire.

The mod I'm developing will allow the roman factions to train certain units from the original capital city of a conquered faction. I was inspired by the Client Kingdoms MOD. It didn't work on my PC but I thought it was a good idea so I decided to come up with my own mod.

I was surprised to find out how easy it was when I attempted to give the Julii the Spartan Hoplite unit. It worked but the unit card and Battle graphics were wrong.

Can anyone let me know where I can setup the unit cards and battle graphics. I intend to give the new units the same look as the original units but with a roman banner.

Epistolary Richard
03-17-2006, 01:01
You may be interested in some of the tutorials on the Scriptorium, such as this one (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=51750) that covers adding new units including unit cards. There are others about battle graphics.

B1ueBa11
03-17-2006, 16:30
Thanks. Thats exactly what I needed. I should have a working beta within a couple of days.

BTW The tutorial did not mention anything about banners. I assume the unit banner in the battle map is determined by the faction that controls the unit. Am I wrong?

Epistolary Richard
03-17-2006, 18:33
For the larger, hovering banner - that's correct. The smaller ones carried by standard bearers is a part of their skin.

B1ueBa11
03-30-2006, 16:20
Thats OK.

I've changed all the files and am now able to start the game without crashing. I still need to do some testing but I should have the mod ready withing a few days.

PS: Can anyone tell me how I upload files to this forum?

B1ueBa11
04-07-2006, 16:24
I just hit a major problem: When I attack a Gallic town, the game crashes with the error message that 8 items were undeleted.

I'm gonna try again with some mod utilities to see if it's just Typo problems with my editing. Most likely, It's a problem with the export_desc_buildings.txt file. I will edit it with Hadrian editor and see if I can resolve the problem.

QUESTIONS: If I just add the "roman, " faction in a particular unit's texture and sprite entry in the desc_model_battle.txt file, will it work? If not, can I add an entry pointing to the original faction's folder? Also, do my files have to be unpacked for the options above to work?

Helgi
04-07-2006, 21:10
Thats OK.

I've changed all the files and am now able to start the game without crashing. I still need to do some testing but I should have the mod ready withing a few days.

PS: Can anyone tell me how I upload files to this forum?

Looking forward to checking the Ingenuity mod out. Good luck with it.
As for Uploading files unto the forum, check with one the moderators.
:2thumbsup: