PDA

View Full Version : What about the throne rooms?

Leet Eriksson
03-21-2006, 19:52
We all know the movies for Assasinations from STW will return, but what about the throne rooms? will they also make a return?

That would be absolutely awesome.

Dutch_guy
03-21-2006, 21:41
Care to explain what there throne rooms are, for those who - like myself - haven't played Shogun.

Thanks.

:balloon2:

Sasaki Kojiro
03-21-2006, 21:50
Care to explain what there throne rooms are, for those who - like myself - haven't played Shogun.

Thanks.

:balloon2:

http://pcmedia.ign.com/media/reviews/image/shogun003.jpg

You could click on the advisor guy and he would give you random advice. Also emissaries would come into the room and give a little speech asking you to sign a treaty.

phred
03-21-2006, 22:30
Also, the map showed who owned what province - including provinces which were obscured by fog of war on the campaign map.

Servius
03-21-2006, 22:36
And if you knew the secret code, the geisha would...do her thing...

j/k

The_Doctor
03-21-2006, 23:08
Basically it was a massive waste of time. Ok it looked nice and it added atmosphere to the game, after a while it became pointless.

Sasaki Kojiro
03-21-2006, 23:20
Basically it was a massive waste of time. Ok it looked nice and it added atmosphere to the game, after a while it became pointless.

I don't know about that, I used it every game.

Kraxis
03-21-2006, 23:58
and it added atmosphere to the game, after a while it became pointless.
So a good atmosphere is pointless?

I absolutely loved the throneroom. I didn't always clap my hands when the same emmisary came to propose a cease fire for the fith tim after his faction had broken the previous. But like with the ninjamovies, after a while I would begin to love it again. Especially when you get the Portuguese captain. Ow, he is absolutely lovely! Arrogant, heavily accented, bad language (because he couldn't be bothered with learning it properly) and stomps all over local traditions by wearing the boots and sword in the inner sanctum. Even his bows were sloppy and more an insult rather than a proper action of respect.

And of course the beheading of an emmisary... Perfect.

Servius, I believe I have seen a betashot of the Geisha actually doing that. Pulling a tanto to kill an obnoxious emmisary. Too bad it didn' make it (especially when it could happen to you).

The advisor was also supreme. His would give a little poem that could be easy or hard to read the meaning of, but there was a meaning and it reflected your current situation economically, militarily or politically.

The_Doctor
03-22-2006, 00:14
I just like info given to me quickly.

The advisor was just weird and somewhat unless.

Csargo
03-22-2006, 00:15
They should make it where the Emissaries didn't always say the same thing and the guy that gives advice never runs out of advice. It gets pointless when the people trying to make alliances all say the same thing it just gets boring always liked the advice guy though he was awesome.

Kraxis
03-22-2006, 00:32
The emmisaries all had different speeches depending on which faction they came from. And each of them had three different speeches for each agreement (weaker, equal and stronger).

So their speeches were never pointless. You would just have to read their attitude. Of course at times it would be obvious, but at times it could get rather uncertain.

The advisor was perhaps wierd, but his advise-poems told you exactly how the situation was. You would just have to learn to read them, and to me that made the atmosphere very deep. I did feel like a Japanese warlord, I had to deal with issues I could imagine that one such would have had to.

Oaty
03-22-2006, 02:48
And if you knew the secret code, the geisha would...do her thing...

j/k

It's no secret, just upsetting when your Daimyo would get intmate with her.

Oaty
03-22-2006, 02:59

Just like the battle speeches but believe me, although I typically ignore them I still enjoyed them quite a bit in my first campaigns.

Csargo
03-22-2006, 04:58
The emmisaries all had different speeches depending on which faction they came from. And each of them had three different speeches for each agreement (weaker, equal and stronger).

So their speeches were never pointless. You would just have to read their attitude. Of course at times it would be obvious, but at times it could get rather uncertain.

The advisor was perhaps wierd, but his advise-poems told you exactly how the situation was. You would just have to learn to read them, and to me that made the atmosphere very deep. I did feel like a Japanese warlord, I had to deal with issues I could imagine that one such would have had to.

You I never noticed that the emissaries said something different but I did notice the fact that they had different attitudes though maybe its just been a while since I've played.:dizzy2:

Trajanus
03-22-2006, 09:06
Yeah each clan had three different diplomatic offers as Kraxis said. And yes it also made me feel like I was actually in the game. This was a great part of original shoggy that made it such a joy to play back in the days.

Man the game was pretty much a cult game, clans and ronin took it to heart when playing online and talking in forums etc. Those were the days. I hope they bring the throne room back in some way, it would be great!

spmetla
03-22-2006, 09:20
I'll loved the throne room! The map was the only reason I'd usually visit it (besides diplomacy) and I really missed it MTW where I had to do the full map cheat to see what was happening which I wasn't too happy to do.

The atmosphere of course was great, I undestood in a way why the scrapped it along with the movies for MTW, with so many different factions and cultures they'd have to make a ton of different animations for each faction, it was fine for japan where everything was for the most part the same or at least similiar but not good for the scale of MTW/RTW. With the harddrive space that's now available on computers I'd like these at least as an option but I can easily part with them, I just wish I could at least bring up a map of the world.

Trajanus
03-22-2006, 09:29
agreed, a map of the world would be useful. It wasn't like Kings didn't know what was on the otherside of their borders etc. Their advisors would of course keep them up-to-date on changes via wars or mariiages or deaths.

Cowhead418
03-23-2006, 02:09
Yes, I loved seeing the rise and fall of each faction throughout the world, but I hated having to "cheat" to see it.

Crazed Rabbit
03-23-2006, 08:33
We all know the movies for Assasinations from STW will return,
I've heard that before.

but what about the throne rooms? will they also make a return?
That would be absolutely awesome.

I'd love it too. Hopefully they will.

Crazed Rabbit

Samurai Waki
03-23-2006, 09:01
That would be awesome, one of my favorite aspects of STW:2thumbsup:

Each Faction would have a different looking emissary, or agent that wanted to speak with you. And depending on the nature of your empire, the look of your (unique) faction throneroom would change. During Times of Peace there would be the usual stuff going on in your room, people eating, talking to each other, servants coming and going (which would make a great Assassination Video). During Times of Prosperity your Throne Room would look far more lavish, during times of war Officers would be crowded around your table, pointing out different tactics that could be used on the map, having men guard you (during times of war, it should be more difficult to assassinate The King, especially if he is in a city), you could also click on different advisors to give you their shpiel on your current situation(s), When you are on the brink of defeat, or in debt your throne room will look cluttered and poor, and your advisors will be dirty and unkempt, and they'll be sure to give you notice too when you look to them for advice... wishful thinking on my behalf though *sigh* :laugh4:

Ludens
03-23-2006, 12:17
Where did you read that the movies would return? I was assured by some forum members that the assassination movies would return in R:TW; but I ended up disappointed.

Both the throne room and the movies were nice features. Not essential, but nice. I'd rather have these back than the night battles (but I assume that night battles will be easier from CA's point of view).

Cowhead418
03-24-2006, 01:50
Where did you read that the movies would return? I was assured by some forum members that the assassination movies would return in R:TW; but I ended up disappointed.

Both the throne room and the movies were nice features. Not essential, but nice. I'd rather have these back than the night battles (but I assume that night battles will be easier from CA's point of view).
IIRC, it was on totalwar.com in one of the previews of M2TW where they talked about some new features. I am 100% certain they said they will have the return of the assassination movies.
Here is a direct quote: "Charge assassins to wipe out enemy generals and witness their cold-hearted killing first-hand with assassination movie sequences."

Trajanus
03-24-2006, 06:19
Correct it does say this on the .COM site.

I also hope they make more movie sequences, so it doesn't get too boring to watch them over and over again. Eventually I did get bored of watching the movies because I could guess what was going to happen based on how the beginning of the movie went.

More movie sequences and a return of the throne room please CA.

GoreBag
03-24-2006, 22:09
I would also love to see a throne room, but can imagine how difficult it would be to make each faction's throne room different.

Ludens
03-25-2006, 12:48
IIRC, it was on totalwar.com in one of the previews of M2TW where they talked about some new features. I am 100% certain they said they will have the return of the assassination movies.
Here is a direct quote: "Charge assassins to wipe out enemy generals and witness their cold-hearted killing first-hand with assassination movie sequences."

Correct it does say this on the .COM site.

I also hope they make more movie sequences, so it doesn't get too boring to watch them over and over again. Eventually I did get bored of watching the movies because I could guess what was going to happen based on how the beginning of the movie went.
Thanks for the information.

Cronos Impera
03-25-2006, 20:46
What was the secret geisha code?

hoom
03-26-2006, 02:30
Originally you were going to be able to click on the Geisha & send a rather harsh reply to whoever sent the emmisary...

Dunno about a special code though?

PS: The Throne room was great & I miss the immersion of it :(

Dooz
03-27-2006, 06:42
I would also love to see a throne room, but can imagine how difficult it would be to make each faction's throne room different.

Why would it be so difficult? They're already making dozens of units for all the factions and doing everything else that goes into making a TW game. Making unique throne rooms would just be part of the days work. At least it should be.

Divine Wind
03-27-2006, 06:54
Why would it be so difficult? They're already making dozens of units for all the factions and doing everything else that goes into making a TW game. Making unique throne rooms would just be part of the days work. At least it should be.

I agree with your point Wonderland. It wouldnt be difficult to implement multi-cultural throne rooms. Perhaps a weeks work for a dedicated artist team. The only difficult thing would be the animations, and even then im sure it wouldnt be anything more than what we had in Shogun.

Bring it back i say.

Samurai Waki
03-27-2006, 10:17
I like the advisor idea too and the situation of the throne room during different levels of diplomacy. When at peace and making buckets of money and you click on your financial advisor he'd say something like "Your Coffers are full m'lord and your people love you. Now is the time to spend it!" or when you are poor "Your Treasury is near empty, and your people are depressed, perhaps you should cut back on your military spending and invest in fertile soil." or when when you are really poor and your people rebel against you "your people openly flaunt your laws, and the tax collectors fear to leave their homes in fear of reprisal, you must cut back on your spending immediately or you risk losing the realm to rebels and vagabonds." Or similarly when you become overly rich "The Wealth of our lands is mighty indeed, so mighty infact, that it seems as though some of your lords think themselves Kings in their own right and the commoners wield enough wealth and power to make you listen to them. If You do not show your people that you are the hand that feeds them, you may very well be only a King in name." ...there are a ton of other variables your financial advisor could give you, such as if a Lord isn't producing enough money in a province, he could suggest you remove his title and give it to someone with a higher acumen.

Also Military Advisors would act similarly though much more responsive on things that immediately pertain to your realm.

When at Peace and making only a little bit of money: My Lord, our military is small and weak, and our lands do not produce enough food to feed a vast war machine, perhaps you should build up an army and capture another province.

When at Peace and Making a lot of money: Sir, though the vastness of your lands is great, and our military mighty; perhaps it would be a wise choice to invest further in your Army so that no enemy will stand in our way!

When at War and Defending: My Lord, an Army of Germans is making its way into our lands, invest in our military now to defend the realm, and show them that we are capable of defending ourselves.

When at War and Attacking: We have sacked many cities in our conquest, but the Germans have proven to be a tenacious enemy indeed, after the death of your first born son to these dogs who rode him down with their many Knights, I suggest you counter their Mobile Forces with a long line of Spears.

Also, there would be Your Religious Advisor, who would tell you the state of religion in your lands, and what should be done to make your people more pious.

A Diplomatic Advisor who would give you his opinions about other nations and how you should percieve them. Also there should be a subterfuge Advisor who stands in a dark corner of your throneroom and whispers about agents that he has tracked, that should be killed, cities that you should spy on for further information, and also advise you to build watch towers in areas that he has tracked where enemy agents have inflitrated from.