PDA

View Full Version : Why not mod?

hellenes
03-26-2006, 01:08
I still cant understand why people assume that a mod making non playable factions into playable is rocket science?
1. It does NOT affect MP compartibility.
2. It has absolutely miniscule effect on game stability.
3. People play with all factions mod for years and notice no difference in stability compared to the unmodded game.

Why everyone is worried if a faction(s) is "playable"? I dont care at all if even one faction is playable as long as I can safely mod the rest to be playable...

Hellenes

A.Saturnus
03-26-2006, 21:37
Well, if there's something like glorious achievements for example, non-playable factions may be short-changed. But other than that I agree that it's pretty much a non-issue.

Dooz
03-27-2006, 06:39
Well, if there's something like glorious achievements for example, non-playable factions may be short-changed. But other than that I agree that it's pretty much a non-issue.

I believe in some MTW mods like the XL mod, there were a whole bunch of new factions and of course unlocked ones and they all had custom GA points. If I'm not mistaken, then that shouldn't be an issue either as it's moddable.

doc_bean
03-27-2006, 15:21
Because people don't want to buy an unfinished product ?

I agree that in practise it isn't a big deal, but in principle, it sucks to get half a game.

And i doubt you can play as the Aztecs since they'd have nothing to do for a few hundred years, sorry, turns :oops:

Orda Khan
03-27-2006, 16:17
Most of the time I think it is the case that some people are not aware that this can be done easily and are a little frightened to tamper

........Orda

A.Saturnus
03-28-2006, 19:27
Because people don't want to buy an unfinished product ?

That doesn't make it unfinished. There are certainly enough factions for your buck. If you want to play a faction not intended as playable you can make it playable. You should be happy about that.

hellenes
03-29-2006, 03:06
double post

hellenes
03-29-2006, 03:06
That doesn't make it unfinished. There are certainly enough factions for your buck. If you want to play a faction not intended as playable you can make it playable. You should be happy about that.

While I made this thread Ill have to disagree with you on this point, when a company invests heavily in resources and manhours into eye candy and shallow satisfaction of most basic insticts then it has NO excuse for not having time to provide a decent gameplay... A person is happy for the love that his relatives/friends show to him, must be happy for the good health and prosperity and the fruit of his own labor but when a person is happy for a consuming good that he WORKED to pay for then something is really wrong...If CA/SEGA provided the game for free then one could be happy...

Hellenes

Alexander the Pretty Good
03-29-2006, 03:22
While I have my own problems with CA, you can't blame them for not including 300 different, individual factions (of which, 250 seem to be smaller than modern Vatican City). It costs CA time and money to design and create art for each and every faction. To add more factions costs more time and money, which would set back the release date and increase the cost of the product.

As long the mechanics are there, I don't care what factions CA puts in, or if their graphics are done using Paint! Just make it moddable! I don't make mods, but I use everyone else's!

A.Saturnus
03-29-2006, 19:13
While I made this thread Ill have to disagree with you on this point, when a company invests heavily in resources and manhours into eye candy and shallow satisfaction of most basic insticts then it has NO excuse for not having time to provide a decent gameplay... A person is happy for the love that his relatives/friends show to him, must be happy for the good health and prosperity and the fruit of his own labor but when a person is happy for a consuming good that he WORKED to pay for then something is really wrong...If CA/SEGA provided the game for free then one could be happy...

Hellenes

I'm not quite getting you. This isn't about gameplay. This is about the number of factions. A game is obviously unfinished when lots of well-intended features don't work right or when bugs seriously affect the gameplay, not when faction xy isn't made playable. That's purely a design feature.
And if a person in NOT happy for a consuming good that he worked to pay for THEN something is wrong.

hellenes
03-30-2006, 02:22
I'm not quite getting you. This isn't about gameplay. This is about the number of factions. A game is obviously unfinished when lots of well-intended features don't work right or when bugs seriously affect the gameplay, not when faction xy isn't made playable. That's purely a design feature.
And if a person in NOT happy for a consuming good that he worked to pay for THEN something is wrong.

I agree on that but happiness has nothing to do with the moddability of such feature...
Every person has different standards of what makes one happy or not...
I replied in such way because I percieved your "happy" remark as if we should be gratefoul for CA proving such favour to us...correct me if im wrong.
I cant be grateful for something that I pay money for Im grateful for free things like mods but not for consuming goods.

Hellenes

A.Saturnus
03-30-2006, 19:15
If you can't be happy about something you bought then I pity you. I just bought a CD with Vivaldi's Four Season and I enjoyed it. Shouldn't that make me happy? What do I have money for if not to buy things that make me happy?

FearofNC
04-09-2006, 11:24
i could care less about how good the units look... how many factions there are.. how different cultures building look ect... in shogun you had i think 8 factions and 9 unit types available to them all.. the graphics were 2d.. all the buildings were the same and the only difference in the factions were the colors of the soldiers.. yet it was still the best version produced... every dollar that goes into eye candy is one less for gameplay..

Trajanus
04-11-2006, 13:43
true. STW was so simple compared to the games they release now, but still the best.

But as others have said, I don't mind what they do so long as people are happy and able to mod it.