PDA

View Full Version : What CA doesn't want you to know about Medieval: Total War 2.

Ignoramus
03-27-2006, 09:57
Consider these these things before you cast your opinion on the upcoming game. Follow these steps.

1.) Think of the number of turns in BI(Barbarian Invasion)
2.) Think of the number of turns in BI with the same number of provinces in RTW(Rome: Total War)
3.) Think of the number of turns in BI with the same number of provinces in RTW, plus the Atlanctic Ocean and Mexico.
4.) Think of the numbers of turns in BI, with the same number of provinces in RTW, plus the Atlanctic Ocean and Mexico, with the technology tree in MTW(Medieval: Total War) squeezed in.
5.) Think of the number of turns in BI, with the same number of provinces in RTW, plus the Atlanctic Ocean and Mexico, with the technology tree in MTW(Medieval: Total War) squeezed in, with evolution of different forms of warfare.

Getting worried yet?

6.) Think of the characters in RTW.
7.) Think of the generals in RTW who kept getting 10 stars.
8.) Think of the characters and 10-star generals in RTW existing for 200 years(100 turns).
9.)Think of Richard the Lionhearted discovering the New World, after winning the Third Crusade.
10.) Think of not worrying about succesion.
11.) Think of struggling for ages agianst the pig-headed Holy Roman Emperor, finally to achieve victory over him in the glorious turn of our king, 103.

But most importantly of all!

12.) Think of all the nice pictures of chivalry, which soon will be outdated by gunpowder!

Duke John
03-27-2006, 12:52
13. Think of the players who want more settlements, and the players who autoresolve the many sieges.
14. Think of the players who want more settlements, and the players who complain about the tedious endgame.
15. Think of the players who boast about finishing the game in 100 turns and the ones taking 500+ turns.
16. Think of the players that want a complex techtree and the players who never see the second half of the techtree when finishing the campaign within 200 turns.
17. Think of the players who train 10 star generals on rebels and the players who roleplay their generals.
18. Think of the players who use every possible exploit to win and the ones playing according to the "rules".

And most importantly:

19. Think of how many different types of players there are and whether one type is more important than the other.

KukriKhan
03-27-2006, 13:41
Think, think, think.

All this thinking makes me tired. I think I'll take a nap. :smile:

Martok
03-28-2006, 08:48
Think, think, think.

All this thinking makes me tired. I think I'll take a nap. :smile:

:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4:

anti_strunt
03-28-2006, 22:59
11.) Think of struggling for ages agianst the pig-headed Holy Roman Emperor, finally to achieve victory over him in the glorious turn of our king, 103.

Immortal family members? Since there was no such thing in MTW nor RTW I'm somewhat puzzled.

Servius
03-29-2006, 00:46
I don't understand the point of the FP.

Ignoramus
03-29-2006, 01:04
Immortal family members? Since there was no such thing in MTW nor RTW I'm somewhat puzzled.

But, there will be in MTW2, characters age 1 year every 2 turns, every turn = 2 years, so characters age 1 year for every 4 years.

Duke John
03-29-2006, 06:01
Nope, that is not true. Characters age 1 year per 2 turns and that is the end of it.

There are many R:TW players who manage to conquer most of Europe and walk through the techtree in a 1/4 of the time that was needed in history. So does that mean their characters age 4 times as slow? No of course not. The passing of years remains just as fast, the progress of historical events is quicker.

Voigtkampf
03-29-2006, 06:23
Think positive. Mod. :thumbsup:

TB666
03-29-2006, 06:46
But, there will be in MTW2, characters age 1 year every 2 turns, every turn = 2 years, so characters age 1 year for every 4 years.
But turns doesn't equal 2 years.
Turns doesn't mean a passage of time anymore hence they can't be translated into years.
In my theory, how fast you progress won't be depending on the turn like if you hit turn 50 you advance. No instead you will advance when you have got the requirments to do so and will not be bound to turns meaning that in some games you will advance at turn 30 but in some games maybe in turn 60.
So how fast you advance will depend on the player and not the game.
Like Marius reforms in RTW the unpatched version.
Of course this is just my theory in trying to bring order to chaos.:dizzy2:

A.Saturnus
03-29-2006, 19:04
But still, the game will cover a time period of 550 years during which characters will only age 112 years. It's not as straightforward as a character aging one year per 4 years, but the relation between aging and campaign development may still be very strange.

screwtype
03-30-2006, 17:37
Nope, that is not true. Characters age 1 year per 2 turns and that is the end of it.

There are many R:TW players who manage to conquer most of Europe and walk through the techtree in a 1/4 of the time that was needed in history. So does that mean their characters age 4 times as slow? No of course not. The passing of years remains just as fast, the progress of historical events is quicker.

Yes, that's basically the deal. History has been compressed in order to make the game more eventful. In principle, it's not such a bad concept.

But I really don't care much about this issue since I will probably be able to find a mod for it if I don't like it. What I care about is that the combat and the game as a whole is immersive and challenging, because in my opinion, RTW was neither.

Bobby G
10-04-2006, 13:45
8.) Think of the characters and 10-star generals in RTW existing for 200 years(100 turns).

Characters age 1 year per 2 turns

Ignoramus obviously can't do his sums. 100 turns equal 50 years. Not 200 years.

:oops: :wall: :idea2:

econ21
10-04-2006, 13:52
100 turns equal 50 years. Not 200 years.

You had to resurrect a half year old thread for that?

Ignoramous was assuming MT2W characters age 1 year per 2 turns and that 1 game turn in M2TW represents roughly 2 historical years. So characters will age 1 year per 4 historical years.

We haven't heard much about this temporal paradox recently, it's true, but I am rather glad of its absence, as it makes my brain hurt.

Randarkmaan
10-04-2006, 13:57
As far as I know there are both turns AND years in MTW2 I saw it in a screenshot once, the faction detail button or something like that.

Ringeck
10-04-2006, 14:41
There's turns on the main screen and years in the pop-up overviews, I think. Really odd way to do it...

Tiberius maximus
10-04-2006, 18:33
i think you shouldnt do that much thinking to be honest:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4:

Martok
10-04-2006, 21:03
You had to resurrect a half year old thread for that?
Gah! Necromancy once again rears its ugly head.... :wall:

We haven't heard much about this temporal paradox recently, it's true, but I am rather glad of its absence, as it makes my brain hurt.
Mine too. Temporal mechanics give me nosebleeds. :dizzy2: I long ago decided to simply stop pondering this issue, and just go with it....

Oaty
10-05-2006, 03:53
20) think that MTW2 will gross over a million sales

sharrukin
10-05-2006, 04:24
Does anyone actually know how the flow of time takes place in this game?

But still, the game will cover a time period of 550 years during which characters will only age 112 years. It's not as straightforward as a character aging one year per 4 years, but the relation between aging and campaign development may still be very strange.

Is this true? :inquisitive: I thought there were 225 turns total in the game?
225 X 2 = 450? where does 550 come from?

Are we gonna have to have Stephen Hawking on speed dial every time we play?

Polemists
10-05-2006, 05:04
People have been play testing this thing. I'm sure it has plenty of turns. Trust me though when I say give someone like half a day to make the mod. Then the years will be back in as will as many turns as you like. I mean that should be a pretty easy mod to make I would think.

Furious Mental
10-05-2006, 05:06
+1 summoning skill. Level up!

Braden
10-06-2006, 14:06
..yeah but add in my Ritual Amalgam Chalice and I get a +5 to Resurrection :dizzy2:

Anyway, the time-dilation is one of my main "in-game" concerns but the proof will be in the eating.

I'm gonna let others buy and play the game, comment and disect on these forums and then.......assuming I've got a PC that'll run the game....is when I'll decide if I want to purchase it or not.

I'd dearly love to want to buy it and be safe in the knowledged its at least as good as vanilla Rome (which had its many flaws, but was playable and enjoyable and now thanks to the Mod community.....long-lived).

:skull: Dark Incant #2 "by my dark paladin power I Control Unliving thread to the power of 10!"

:laugh4: