PDA

View Full Version : FAQ updated - Religion!

Alexander the Pretty Good
03-27-2006, 23:36
First post ZOMG! (http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotalwarfrm55.showMessage?topicID=1127.topic)

Q. How will Religion feature in Medieval 2?

A. Religion was a huge part of medieval life. As a result the religious system in Medieval 2 has more depth than previous games in the series. As well as spreading the influence of their chosen religion and minimizing outbreaks of heresy, players will also have manage their relationship with the Pope to avoid the intervention of inquisitors and even excommunication. As the game progresses players will be able to have develop their religious characters to the point where they can even get their own Cardinal elected as Pope.

Q. How can I spread the religious influence of my faction?

A. You’ll be able to influence your population by constructing various religious buildings within your settlements. There are a huge number of new building types now available each being upgradable multiple times to open up new abilities and units. As examples, churches and mosques will spread your religion whilst building cathedrals and converting people to Catholicism will help you get on the good side of the Pope. These religious buildings also give you access to Priest characters who are agent characters or also help spread the influence of your religion.

Q. How do Priests work?

A.Priests are agents that can be used on the campaign map to spread your religion in their surrounding area. senior Catholic priests can become cardinals and get elected to the collage of cardinals. This can give the player influence in the Papacy and Priests can even get elected Pope, improving their original faction’s standing with the Papal States.

However there is always a possibility that Priest may lose his way and turn heretic, in which case they fall under AI control and spread heresy instead, undermining the established religion.

Q. What effect does heresy have?

A. If you are deemed to have a problem with heresy in your lands the Pope may send out an Inquisitor to deal with the situation. They’ll do a great job at reducing heresy but they may also denounce nearby characters, and have them tried and executed.

Q. How do I interact with the Pope?

A. The Pope will make various requests of you as the game progresses, and generally meddle in affairs. If you accede to his requests, he’ll like you, and if not he’ll become increasingly tiresome, and may even excommunicate you. Building cathedrals and converting people to Catholicism will also please him.

Having the Pope as an ally offers significant benefits. Players can turn to him to request that he warns off other factions from attacking you and he may even accept suggestions as to where to call a crusade.

Q. How do I get my own Pope elected?

A. When the existing Pope dies (for whatever reason) a new Pope is elected by the college of cardinals. If you have a cardinal of sufficiently high rank, he’ll be a candidate in the election. You can then negotiate with the other factions to get them to vote for your guy, or you can agree to vote for theirs.

Q. How do the crusades work?

A. Crusades will be far more of an “event” in Medieval 2 than they were in the original Medieval. The Pope will commission a crusade that all the catholic factions then have the option to join. The faction that captures the target first will gain considerable prestige and wealth as well as significantly boosting their standing with the Pope. As we’ve said, as you gain more influence with the Pope you can begin to request Crusades to be called on specific targets.

Players can choose specific armies and Generals to join the crusade and Generals involved in crusades can earn bonuses relating to chivalry and honour.

Most of this has been answered by interviews and previews. :juggle2:

NagatsukaShumi
03-28-2006, 14:16
The way religion works sounds far better to me in this version of the game and will be interesting to say the least.

Sarmatian
03-30-2006, 03:21
Yeah, but what about orthodox and muslim factions?

anti_strunt
03-30-2006, 12:36
Presumably they will work the same, only without the whole Catholic church thingy, I doubt that they will create some unique stuff for every religion.

Anyway, I see we can look forward to the Egyptians spreading islam in Scandinavia again; yay.

screwtype
03-30-2006, 17:22
I really don't care about this sort of stuff. To me it's just chrome, and I suspect, chrome that will only increase the micromanagement burden as in MTW.

What I want is a logical and authentic-feeling economic system that requires skill to manage effectively and which is tightly integrated with the military aspects of the game. But I've just about given up hope of such a system from CA. Probably the "economy" will once again be little more than the ability to tweak tax rates.

lar
03-31-2006, 13:27
doesnt explain how having your own pope works. could you just excommunicate who you wanted and crusade whereever you felt like?

Sarmatian
04-01-2006, 02:21
doesnt explain how having your own pope works. could you just excommunicate who you wanted and crusade whereever you felt like?

I`m guessing it works the same as with all other popes, he is just more inclined to your faction.

Barbarossa1221
04-03-2006, 00:31
Crusades are more of an "Event"?
Que? I dont understand what this means, can I no longer reduce the infidels to ashes at my whim?
But this will probably make them more fun and enjoyable, maybe all of Europe will rise up in one turn and blast the holy land to smithereens!

I like the idea of having my own little cardinal becoming pope to!

Trajanus
04-03-2006, 14:16
What it means is that if your cardinal becomes Pope he no longer belongs to your faction so you cannot control him. But there will be a special link between your faction and the Papacy because the Pope came from your faction.

Crusades will I'm guessing be much like the missions from the senate in RTW. But a bit more spiced up so to speak.

AntiochusIII
04-12-2006, 22:09
Cool. It does sound interesting.

The Pope pestering the hell out of me (I've always, always been excommunicated at least once in the thousand Catholic campaigns I've played) is way more fun than the bunch of old men from the Senate.

The Cardinal as the Pope also sounds interesting.

I hope, though, that the Pope will not order Catholic factions around the way the Senate does. The historical Pope only does that when he feels something's not right for him, not at every whim possible. So, you can war, intrigue, and whatever and he will not interfere, unless you threaten his interests, or when he decides he needs a Crusade, then he will. That would be nice, compare to the Senate in Rome which would direct your every move if they can, and is utterly boring.

Mithras
04-13-2006, 13:15
It would be cool if they let you defect to heresies and switch religions which could offer some interesting possibilities.

I can't remember if the game leads up to the reformation.