PDA

View Full Version : Cavalry Questions In STW v1.12

Nobunaga
04-13-2006, 10:33
Well I have two questions first do calvary charge add a moral penalty to unit in 1.12? Second does heavy calvary give a morale boost to nearby units?

I tried searching the sword dojo i found some posts on the topic however i didn't find a definite answer.

Krasturak
04-13-2006, 18:47
I'm not aware of these effects.

1) I think a unit gets a morale penalty for 'being charged' regardless of the charging unit.

2) I am not aware of any special effect from any unit type due to proximity except the Taisho.

Drisos
04-13-2006, 18:52
As far as I know:

1) Yes

2) No

:bow:

Sasaki Kojiro
04-13-2006, 20:16
All units give a morale boost. If you have 3 units in a certain area and the enemy has six you'll have a fairly large moral penalty, and they get a bonus.

There might be bonuses for having a friendly unit on the flank or to the rear, I could be mixing this up with gettysburg though.

I think the morale penalty for a cavalry charge is double. Extra points for charging when the enemy unit is disorganized, charging from flank, or charging from rear.

Puzz3D
04-14-2006, 14:30
I measured morale effects in STW v1.02 back in Apr and May of 2002 on my LAN, and I just found my notes on those results. I had also done morale tests in STW v1.12 the previous year, and the v1.02 tests were consistent with those findings which indicates that the morale system was not changed.

For reference the morale states in STW are:

Impetuous: 18 or above
Steady: -6 to +16
Uncertain: -12 to -8
Wavering: -22 to -14
Routing: -24 or below

There is a proximity effect on morale for units within a 1.8 tile radius which is about 75 meters. For reference, archer open fire range is 100 meters on flat ground. I measured proximity effect for a single unit. This is for units facing each other as there is an additional penalty of -2 morale at about 60 meters for being flanked. A flank is anything outside the 90 degree arc centered on the front facing axis of the unit leader.

For proximity to 1 enemy unit, the morale penalty is -8
For proximity to 2 enemy units the morale penalty is -12
For proximity to 3 enemy units the morale penalty is - 14

Above 3 enemy units, there was no additional effect. This penalty is calculated by counting the number of enemy banners. The type of units, their honor rating or the number of men in the units does not matter. The ratio of the number of enemy and friendly unit banners within 75 meters is what counts. I doesn't look like I made any measurements of morale boost for outnumbering the enemy.

I did specifically measure the morale effect of a YC charging a YA. My test was sensitive to morale changes of 2 points. There was no noticable effect on morale other than the proximity effect before the units made contact.

Some other effects on morale that I measured were:

Death of Taisho: -8 morale with no range limit
Friendly unit routing: -6 morale within 75 meters
Friendly unit routing through a unit: no additional effect
Taisho routing: -6 morale within 75 meters (same as any other unit)
Taisho leaving the field: no additional effect
Flanked unit: -2 morale at about 60 meters
Flank support: +2 morale supporting one flank from behind within 75 meters

Nobunaga
04-15-2006, 11:00
thanx alot for the replies guys, help appreciated