PDA

View Full Version : Ran No Jidai is looking for a modellers!

Kagemusha
04-18-2006, 20:43
Hello all! Ran No Jidai Team is looking for a talented modellers.We are sad to inform you that Prometheus our main modeller is taking a brake from modelling and now we need someone else to pick up the modelling task. The situation is that in Unit Modelling we have most of the basic units done.What we need is Someone who can model the Individual General models for most of the factions.And also some other stuff like different horse model and Vegetation.
Then we need someone to model buildings.There we have about 20% of Models done.So if you are intrested on working on Japanese models please tell us it here on this thread or PM me or TomteOfDoom.Thanks!:bow:

-Kage

antisocialmunky
04-25-2006, 02:39
Perhaps we should advertise on 3d Cafes or something. We can't let this die.

Duke John
04-25-2006, 08:14
I think you should reduce the amount of required models. One general, 1 castle set, 2 horse models, etc. S:TW was a gem despite having a very limited set of buildings and units. Remember that.

If you are content with less then I might want to model a few things some time.

Kagemusha
04-25-2006, 16:08
I think you should reduce the amount of required models. One general, 1 castle set, 2 horse models, etc. S:TW was a gem despite having a very limited set of buildings and units. Remember that.

If you are content with less then I might want to model a few things some time.

Hi DJ!
We already have 2 Generals and ready castle .What we need is couple Dojos.Im completely Ok if there are just difference in building stats on different levels of the same building for the first beta Version. So basicly there isnt many buildings to do at all.We just need those few.:bow:

Tatsumaru
04-26-2006, 18:35
Does anybody know which program Prometheus is using to make these models?
Or simply, do you know a 3D-program where you can export the models to?

I have "Maya 7.0" and "Gmax". So I could try a bit and say if I can model them or not.
I cannot promise anything in therms of grafical modding. :shame:

Revolting Friendship
04-27-2006, 18:59
Well, it's all about 3d Studio Max as far as I know, in which case you would need that.

Voevod al Moldovei
04-27-2006, 20:09
yeah i have some modelling experience with RTW units in 3ds max and i have the program

send me the unit descriptions and ill see what i can do

Lord Adherbal
04-29-2006, 19:04
Unless Prom recently did all the lower LOD models I think you have a LOT of (annoying) work left to do. We at NTW2 are facing a simular situation too. Modellers often have the tendency to do the fun stuff first (high poly models) and delay the annoying work (low poly models). The result: a huge pile of annoying work that someone will have to do at some point.

Sorry for my kinda off-topic rant, but I think you need motivated modellers more seriously then you think.

Revolting Friendship
04-29-2006, 21:50
Voevod al Moldovei:

I really think you need to make a horse:

Reference1 (http://www.imh.org/imh/bw/japan.html)
Reference2 (http://horse.shrine.net/index.html)

[cF]Adherbal:

It's like that, and we still only have high-poly models lol. btw didn't you offer to help us out before?

Voevod al Moldovei
04-29-2006, 23:18
why dont you just only have high poly models so everyone will have to play on high or just replace all other models with high polys

so you want a regular horse or a horse with decorations ill make a regular one first and then show me which ones you like with decorations

thyre quite small horses too

do you want the skins aswell or will you do that

Revolting Friendship
04-29-2006, 23:56
Voevod al Moldovei:

Haha, well considering how high-poly these models are I don't think we want to do that because that would deprive 95% of the possibility to enjoy this mod. Also, even on the best settings the game uses several levels of details depending on the distance between the camera and the model.

But still, who wants to sit around and make low-poly versions of someone elses models and little else? Not any decent modeller I could relate to anyway, but for the sake of those who wait for this mod I hope there is one of those out there somewhere, heading our way.

Anyway, starting with the horse alone is fine, we will work together to make sure the basic model is perfect before you start adding the details. If you can extract a decent skin from somewhere or even make one from scratch, be my guest. At any rate it's good to have one to work with I suppose.

Voevod al Moldovei
04-30-2006, 01:37
check your email man

i sent you some screen picks of the horse at 1.36 am

i'm exicted!

Revolting Friendship
04-30-2006, 09:22
Haha, sorry to make you wait but I have been sleeping. Anyway, there's nothing in my inbox I'm afraid. Something went wrong I guess. But this is what we'll do, either add me on sgt_danne@hotmail.com and we'll look at it on messenger, or just go ahead and post directly in this thread(if you have no problem with public critique). I guess you could try the PM thing again but just in case I don't want to waste more of your time.

Lord Adherbal
04-30-2006, 10:04
It's like that, and we still only have high-poly models lol. btw didn't you offer to help us out before?

yes I did. I made a -mod switch compatible folder with almost all units added. I hoped that I would find time and motivation to work harder for this mod, but it didn't happen.
I can send the work I did so far though, atleast you'll have something structurized to work with.

But still, who wants to sit around and make low-poly versions of someone elses models and little else? Not any decent modeller I could relate to anyway, but for the sake of those who wait for this mod I hope there is one of those out there somewhere, heading our way.

exactly. We have the same problem with NTW2. Our modellers Flint and Winnie made almost all of the High Poly models, but none of the lower LODs. It's not unlikely that by the time everything else is done we're still waiting for these low poly models (which make up 75% of all required soldier models). In that case I will rather redo the entire unit (4 LODs) myself then create just the low poly models. Then I can atleast get the credit for creating the units.

Revolting Friendship
04-30-2006, 10:51
[cF]Adherbal:

I can send the work I did so far though, atleast you'll have something structurized to work with.

Good, contact Kagemusha about that, he's the one handling all the files. I don't even have the game so I wouldn't know what to do with it.

In that case I will rather redo the entire unit (4 LODs) myself then create just the low poly models. Then I can atleast get the credit for creating the units.

Not to mention the fun/relief of designing them yourself. When you rely on someone else to do the work there always turns out to be a lot of details you want changed/fixed, but in the end it's just too much to keep nagging about. If you do the models yourself you don't need to worry about that.

Since I'm learning to model myself now I might just remake them all myself, unless something happens. In either case I know I will at least finetune the shape and UV-mapping of those already made.

PROMETHEUS
05-01-2006, 10:26
Modellers often have the tendency to do the fun stuff first (high poly models) and delay the annoying work (low poly models).

Models are made all in high polygons for a reason , not just fun .... Since I work with other experts I need to refine those all the time , so is better to refine one model than everytime a set of four , when , and only when , the model is final can be done the lower lods , the high ones serve as placeholders for definitive versions that will have 5 lods usually...

Voevod al Moldovei
05-01-2006, 10:57
hey prometheus have you moded any horses because i'm trying to do some for ren no jidai and I have some problemes

Lord Adherbal
05-03-2006, 11:58
Models are made all in high polygons for a reason , not just fun .... Since I work with other experts I need to refine those all the time , so is better to refine one model than everytime a set of four , when , and only when , the model is final can be done the lower lods , the high ones serve as placeholders for definitive versions that will have 5 lods usually...

that shouldn't make difference. You make a model, discuss it with the experts, change some details if necessary until they are happy, then you make the low LODs and voila, unit 100% done. I fail to see why you would move to the next high poly model before the current one is completed, unless it takes your experts weeks to judge what details need to be changed.

Revolting Friendship
05-03-2006, 20:20
I have to agree there, it should also be much easier on your patience and interest if you can take the additional mental burden at the start. Saving all the tideous and boring work(no matter the reason) last is not a good policy if it can be avoided, better then to spread it evenly, and you will also get a clearer overall idea of where you are in the progress.

PROMETHEUS
05-05-2006, 20:41
I doubt you understood what I said ....
I make the max level polygonal model ,.....
the experts comment , blunt about it , I do changes , they comment again , I do changes , then again .... bla bla bla .... finally , in the meanwhile I made all the ret of the main models , usually some serve as bases for the rest , since are all the big max level lods they are the main base to cut pieces and polygons out for lower lods ....then when all max level units are done and experts satisfied with it ..... and If you knew Tomte , you have to agree sometime is even too picky on details .... then , and only after everyuone is happy , and every model is more or less final starts the second phase , the construction of lower lod levels ....

If you instead are freelance worker and not mainly following instructions and guidelines for your models you do not have to agree on others opinions or follow their directions and so is better to make the lower lods first befoure moving to the next model....

that is how should work ...:book:

Lord Adherbal
05-07-2006, 15:34
well either way, this mod is now stuck with a ton of High Poly models and it'll be very hard to find someone to do them. NTW2 has the same problem, but the guy who made most of the models promised he would do the low polies aswell. I just hope that'll happen soon, cause the rest of the mod is nearing completion.

palissa
05-16-2006, 18:35
What is all this crying on low poly models :)
I did the lods for 2 model tomte sent me, the teppo and another one.
I told him to send me more, so i can do their lods, because i believe this is a good mod with alot of people who want to see it finished.
Till now, tomte dindt send me any other model, so i believe they are still finishing the high ones.
I dont care if i got credit for the model, they can just add my name on the credits in the last place, like in the movies, where they credit even who take the coffee :)
Can add me after the one who take the coffee, tomte :)

When have another model ready send me, take 15 minutes make 3 low lods.

Bye

Tatsumaru
05-17-2006, 15:08
:dizzy2: :no: Hmmm... Seems like you guys need more organisation instead of more people to help^^ There are many modders who want to help but you don't care about them.

:2thumbsup: So just make more organisation and less discussion and soon your really nice MOD will be released!!

:furious3: And once more: I CAN HELP WITH TEXT EDITING! SO SEND ME SOME WORK!! DAMN IT, GUYS!!

If you need somebody who help with organisation, ask me too!! The next 2 months I can help a lot.

Kagemusha
05-17-2006, 15:20
:dizzy2: :no: Hmmm... Seems like you guys need more organisation instead of more people to help^^ There are many modders who want to help but you don't care about them.

:2thumbsup: So just make more organisation and less discussion and soon your really nice MOD will be released!!

:furious3: And once more: I CAN HELP WITH TEXT EDITING! SO SEND ME SOME WORK!! DAMN IT, GUYS!!

If you need somebody who help with organisation, ask me too!! The next 2 months I can help a lot.

Oh dont worry Tatsumaru we care of modders.Allright.PM me couple samples of new traits and you can start with them.:bow:

Revolting Friendship
05-17-2006, 15:41
Tatsumaru:

Nice to see some spirit, and if you back that up with actions I'm sure you could be a great help to us. It's just that we have had so many offers that have turned out to be empty words, we are(or at least I am) starting to tire of picking up new ones. I'm sure you can understand that spending time on showing new people the routines who won't even contribute could be better invested in doing things yourself.

palissa
05-17-2006, 18:38
I prepared a low poly model with 116 polygon, standard for all the models who have the body uv on the left, head next, and arm and leg in bottom middle, the vanilla standard of 70% models.
Can be adapted to other model too easily.
To this model must add the weapon and shield or banner, and voila have your very low poly model.

You can use high model both for high and medium, where you need to see the details, and the low for the other 2, where need jsut to see the figure and weapons or banner from long distance.

If send me some High model, i will give you the lod in no time, all standardized and working at best performance (100-150 poly for a low model is way better even than vanilla ones)

If anybody is interested i can do lod for any mod :)
Call me the lodder :)
Bye

Tatsumaru
05-17-2006, 20:48
Hi@all

I hope you understod me right. I didn't want to anger you, just bring some move to the project.
Yea, I didn't also want to say emty words, no I want to help. But I said that nealy one month ago. And I also informed you that (now) I have only 2 moths I can really help much, so I need some advices quick.

@Tomte
Ofcause I understand you. I know that well and I hope I can help you a lot. I just need to know what I should do.
I think there are for example many small text docs which aren't very importaint, but which have to be done.
Or I also can translate some texts into german language. Just say what you need and I can say what I can do^^.

@Kagemusha
What 'd you mean with:
"PM me couple samples of new traits and you can start with them."
??

:sweatdrop: The bad thing is: I was asked to help with another MOD only some days ago. And than I'll be a centre-member of that crew. How much I can help you than depends on whether the MOD will be started or not!

Dimeola
06-08-2006, 19:55

Drisos
06-09-2006, 14:07
Good to see you Dimeolas :bow: weird post though:laugh4:

Dimeola
06-09-2006, 19:19
http://www.dimeolas.com/bon2.jpg
....as I have no experience in what is needed for gaming perhaps I should ask before offering help. Would like to see a full STW mod finished. To me this was always the best of the series and greatly deserves a remake.
As far as figures is concerned I could perhaps provide some from my Poser stash......are what you use that detailed...or a very low poly figure with a tex? Because I do have horses and several pose sets for same.
Same for buildings...I have read low poly and high poly......can I assume that the low poly are just the basic geometric shape with a nice tex? And the high poly will prolly be the same as the regular meshes I use in Poser and bryce and carrara.......
What in the way of buildings, bridges etc is needed? There is a nice collectiopn at www.3dchaya.com that I believe would be ok for nonprofit projects........
If nothing else if you need illustration I would be interested in that.
Would different regions have different styles of architecture? Or same same for the entire japan? Ever considered making the main castle or fortress for each Daimyo unique?
dim

Dimeola
06-09-2006, 19:33
...ok yea they are free for ANY use but do not have textures.
dim

Revolting Friendship
06-10-2006, 15:06
I don't know how high poly the models you have in bruce and poser are, but I suspect MUCH higher than even our "high" poly models, and our mod probably have some of the highest poly models on the RTW-scene. Our Teppõ ashigaru is just above 1000 polygons in the highest level of detail, and thats one of the bread and butter units.

If you can adjust to make models with fewer polygons than you are used to we could use a hand, we need buildings and vegitation and also additional unit models. Also the pieces for the strategy-map needs to be reworked, the ships, towns, forts, harbours etc.

You also mention illustrations, that we need too, we need building info pictures, event images and loading screens etc. Even though I put high demand on quality and historical accuracy for original art, but I'd be happy to see samples of your work.

Feel free to drop me a PM and we can talk some more.

Dimeola
06-11-2006, 05:52
sent you a PM earlier today.....
dim

Dimeola
06-18-2006, 06:38
...I will be around. Let me know if I may be of help.
Dimeolas
http://www.dimeolas.com/0704a.jpg

Rand al'Thor
06-28-2006, 16:29
Hey are u guys looking for anyone to help out or do u know any mod teams looking for help cos i wanna join a mod team and i'm not too bad at coding.

ratbarf
02-06-2007, 03:58
By low polygon figures you mean like just funny cylander men dont you? Or do you want 2D sprites like in the original game? Also do you absolutely need 3DS max because I have anim8or and was wondering if that would work. Also if you know a place were I can get 3DS Max I would appreciate it.