PDA

View Full Version : FAQ- new update 19/4/06

GiantMonkeyMan
04-20-2006, 15:53
Section 7 forum questions:

Q. If units are individual now, are they still recruited in regiments or do you simply recruit a certain number of soldiers?

A. You still recruit units.

Q. Do they still fight as regiments or do the regiments break up once the fighting begins?

A. Soldiers fight in much the same way as previous TW games. Although they're ordered around in units, once combat begins individuals have a fair amount of freedom to react to circumstances

Q. What is the max number of units per army? ( is it still 20)
A. yes it's still 20.

Q. Is MTW2 going to require a Hardware upgrade to play on the higher settings ( if you could play on the higher settings on RTW)?

A. Time and hardware move on, and MTW2 will make the most of the top end hardware available when it launches, so playing on the highest settings may require an upgrade. However, machines that could run Rome on the highest settings should easily be able to cope with MTW2 on medium settings, which will still result in great looking game.

Q. will governments be part of the game?

A. You can choose to develop settlements as either castles or cities. This choice really represents choosing a feudal style system or a republican one. Castles (feudal system) are better for law and order and for military recruitment. Cities are better for economic growth and technology.

Q. Will there be assassination videos?

A. Yes. The same very talented artist (now with even more years experience under his belt) who did such a great job with these on Shogun has been directing the team working on these. There'll be movies for infiltration and sabotage as well as assassination.

Q. how drastic will the bubonic plague be in MTW2?

A. That's a game balance thing really which will get worked out later in the project. My hunch now is that we'll want to make it bad, but probably not as bad as reality.

Q. will the commercial revolution and the end of the high middle ages be in the game?

A. Commerce will be of ever growing importance throughout the game, as players develop their infrastructure and merchant networks

Q. How much of the RTW team is working on MTW2? and how much of MTW's team is working on MTW2?

A. The project director, lead programmer, and three other programmers worked on RTW. A couple of other programmers and most of the artists also worked on BI. We also have several artists who worked on previous games.

Q. Will the Generals system work the same way as in Rome? i.e. Traits, ancillaries etc.

A. Yes they'll be similar, but with a new set of Medieval ones. We've also tweaked and improved the system

OMG assassination movies are back :2thumbsup:

LeftEyeNine
04-20-2006, 17:00
"Castles and Cities" seems one of the best new features to me up to now.

Servius
04-21-2006, 02:40
I hope the people who designed the stat system for MTW are working on this. MTW was so easily modable because all the stats for units were in freaking .txt files! MTW was the game that got me started on modding. I hope MTW2 is as easy to tinker with.

Furious Mental
04-21-2006, 16:53
More text files and less bloody hard coding please!

Dutch_guy
04-21-2006, 18:20
Is there an advantage for the producers - read CA - to hardcode instead of putting it al into .txt files ?

:balloon2:

drone
04-21-2006, 20:07
Is there an advantage for the producers - read CA - to hardcode instead of putting it al into .txt files ?

:balloon2:
From a software standpoint, putting data into text/config files allows for easier tweaking during testing, since a fresh code compile is not necessary. Downsides of text files would be having to setup the parser for the data structure in the files (not that big a deal), the added time at game start to read/parse the files, and handling multiplayer synchronization issues.

One big downside of the text files that we saw with RTW: the text files didn't seem to be controlled as well as the code, so various bugs were introduced into the text files from patch to patch. The "official" files should be placed under CM control and changes reviewed by the development and QA team, not so sure that happened.

Divinus Arma
04-22-2006, 02:36
Seems pretty brief compared with previous FAQs. My guess is that CA isin overdrive. No time for Q&A or marketing drives since the team is going full throttle in final production and Quality Assurance.

Dooz
04-22-2006, 04:44
Seems like none of these are really new or big news in any way. Meh, hopefully Divinus Arma is right and that's what's going on...

Viking
04-22-2006, 10:54
Q. Do they still fight as regiments or do the regiments break up once the fighting begins?

A. Soldiers fight in much the same way as previous TW games. Although they're ordered around in units, once combat begins individuals have a fair amount of freedom to react to circumstances

:2thumbsup:

No more of my soldiers showing their backs to the enemy..

edyzmedieval
04-22-2006, 20:35
Very nice FAQ. MTW2 should provide a really good gameplay experience.

I just hope the modding part will be done. I love modding. :smitten:

pyj99
04-24-2006, 08:49
I think one of the main New information in this faq is the hardware one.

Up to now they said something like "If your computer runs RTW,it should run MTW2 well", the faq says "Rome on the highest settings = MTW2 on medium settings" as far as processing and graphic card power is concerned

I think this means a 30-50% increase in computer power needed as Rome on highest setting is very demanding.

PYJ99