PDA

View Full Version : Lite on CD writers

Nikpalj
04-21-2006, 18:23
I gotta chance to get myself a cheap Lite on CD burner. What's the firm like - is this supposed to be quality stuff or junk? Thx.

Xiahou
04-21-2006, 20:20
For my part, I like LiteOn. I've owned a CD burner of theirs and I currently own a DVD burner of theirs as well. I have no complaints at all- I know they used to be(for a time) top of the heap for CD-Rs, but that stuff changes so quickly it's tough to say where they'd rank now.

Geezer57
04-22-2006, 15:04
I consider Lite-On to be fairly decent "budget" drives. I've had several that worked well, and several that failed early or were flawed out of the box.

Lately I've been mostly using NEC's, for example this one here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152060
You can't beat the budget prices, and I haven't had a bad one yet.

orangat
04-22-2006, 16:45
Liteon CD writers were good, then their early dvd writers sucked, not sure how reliable they are now.

I would get the NEC too. I got a Benq after all the hype and its got small niggly problems.

Papewaio
04-24-2006, 04:29
As of 2 weeks agon Lite On and BenQ CD writers are one and the same.

Lite-On acquires BenQ's optical drive factories (http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/04/10/77284_HNliteonacquire_1.html)

They were the third and fourth largest. Together they are the second largest maker of optical drives.

Lite-On, which already produces optical drives for customers such as Sony and NEC, will hold a 27 percent share of global production in the devices, it said.

NEC and Sony drives are just rebadged Lite On drives. :bow:

Edit... same with HP rebadging AOC monitors.

orangat
04-24-2006, 16:05
Although Liteon produces some NEC drives. I believe most of NEC drives are produced in-house. The current Liteon dvd burner designs is different from NEC. Even 100% rebadged oem designs are not necessarily the same since the firmware can be tweaked.

The optical drive business is quick moving and some labels frequently change oems. Even Sony had some benq oems here and there.

Papewaio
04-27-2006, 08:12
Sony outsources more then NEC, however with the joint venture between the two Sony (55%), NEC (45%) and the head of the venture is a Sony guy... it looks like this venture will outsource more optical drive manufacturing to Lite-On... however Lite-On is understandably nervous as the venture may go more in house given the expanded base.

Mouzafphaerre
05-01-2006, 11:50
Not lite on the price and therefore probably not the one you're looking for but it's Plextor for me. I've been using one for years with absolutely no trouble and superb performance. I went for a Sony on the DVD writer but now am considering to get rid of it and have a Plex.