PDA

View Full Version : The Republic- An AAR

Megalos
04-25-2006, 00:11
The Republica

https://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4925/eagle9kz.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

Book One ~ The First Five Years

Chapter One: 272 BC

The Senate hall was silent. Everyone was deep in thought.

It had only been three years since Phyrrhus the Epirote had left the Italian peninsular, but his legacy was still being felt by the Republic. The Roman armies were still no where near what they once were in terms of numbers and the Armies of the Epirotes under the command of Phyrrhus' son Helenos were moving on the borders of Apulia and Calabria once again. The war was also ongoing with the Gallic raiding parties on the Northern borders.

https://img185.imageshack.us/img185/681/picture0767oj.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

The silence was broken. The newly installed govenor of Capua, Lucius Cornelius Scipio spoke up.

'It is clear what we must do senators! We must mobilise the the legions in the North to link up with our other legions and take the fight to the Epirotes!'

'Are you a fool Scipio? That would leave our Northern border towns and cities open to attack from the Gauls! Our citizens will be unhappy about being unprotected and the enormous cost of moving those legions south will hit our coffers dramatically, add to that, all the Northern trade roads will be unusable and we have a financial disaster on our hands!' Retorted another senator.

'What you say is true senator, but tell me this...If we lose Capua to the Epirotes, what will our citizens do and how would our coffers look then?' Countered Scipio.

'What makes you so sure we will lose Capua?' Another senator spat out in a venomous tone, perhaps Jelous of the incredible inteligence Scipio possesed.

With a nod to the guards men, Scipio raised his hand in a gesture as if he was offering some kind of gift to his compatriates...

https://img185.imageshack.us/img185/6241/picture0997bi.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

As the door to the chamber swung open, one of the guards shouted out,

'HAIL, SPURIUS CROTILO, HEAD SCOUT OF THE THIRD LEGION!'

After a brief introduction of himself and his achievements thus far, Crotilo addressed the assembly.

'It is true what governer Scipio speaks of senators. My spies have been monitoring the armies of Epirus this past year and what I have to tell you is grave!...As we speak there are nine thousand enemy soldiers gathering on our borders and at least another ten thousand more occupying Taras. They wait for the command of Helenos Aiakides son of Phyrrus, to give the order to attack. As soon as he does, we can expect the armies of Epirus to be knocking at our doors in at least a year, and then w-w'

'Thankyou Spurius, you may leave the chamber' Interrupted Scipio in his typical upper class tone.

After the scout had left the chamber, Scipio reinforced his arguments some more.

' As you see my brothers, our armies in the south will not be able to resist the numbers of the Epirotes for long. We must bolster our forces as soon as we can or risk losing our cities to the Greeks. The attacks will come...they are inevitable!'

https://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9818/picture0269bg.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

After much mulling and discussion the Senate finally gave in to Scipio's convincing case, and put in motion the redeployment of legio's one and two, to the south of the peninsular to link up with the Republics only other legions in the south (Legio's 3,4 and 5).All of Rome's defense and all of her might will be placed on the shoulders of the young and talented General Caius Aurelius Cotta...

To be continued...

Other notable happenings in 272:

-Rome de-commisions navy to pay for redeployment of Northern armies
-Cotta repels a minor force of Epirotes in the summer
-The allied Greek Cities declare war on Pontus

Hope you enjoyed the intro

Mega

abou
04-25-2006, 03:19
Oh man, I was going to do an AAR on the Romani once my new computer was together. You beat me to it.:furious3:

Seriously though, I the modification to the pictures and makes it feel as though they are illustrations to a book. This is looking like Demetrious's AAR on TWC where I cannot wait for the next installment.

Teleklos Archelaou
04-25-2006, 03:21
I'm looking forward to it too. Like the images! :2thumbsup:

Dooz
04-25-2006, 04:40
Very nice Megalos, very nice indeed.

It's actually not at all like Demetrious' AAR. This one is much more story-rich in the sense that there's a lot more detailed writing, less images and such as of now. Demetrious' AAR is awesome as hell in it's own way, this one is shaping up to be awesome as hell in it's own.

Can't wait for more!

P.S.
I love that column pic! Very nice touch :2thumbsup: .

stufer
04-25-2006, 10:22
Yes I concur with the above. Great intro Mega. At last an EB AAR on the Romani (not seen one before).

I love the pictures - they look like paintings - I assume you used photoshop or something similar to acheive this - that right?

Anyway, great stuff - looking forward to the next installment.

Ludens
04-25-2006, 14:42
~:thumb:

O'ETAIPOS
04-25-2006, 18:00
~:mecry: Oh well... i wanted to enrich my Forgotten Chronicle Makedon AAR (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=62752) with pictures like that when having more time. Now I wont be first ...

Moros
04-25-2006, 20:38
verry nice indeed ~:) can't wait to read more!

Megalos
04-28-2006, 20:51
The Republica

https://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4925/eagle9kz.jpg

Book One ~ The First Five Years

Chapter 2: The Price Of Information

Manius Flaccus sat at the table. He knew if he played his next move right, he would be rich beyond his wildest dreams...

https://img103.imageshack.us/img103/3987/picture0132wo.jpg

He threw his wooden sword into the air behind him, then looked at the man sprawled on the floor in front of him. 'Is that all you have Galerius?'
panted Cotta, clearly exhausted from the strenuous sparring session.

'I let you beat me Caius, you always sulk when I win!'

Both men laughed.

Caius Aurelius Cotta and Galerius Dorotheus had been friends for nearly three years. Both had received training to become officers within the Roman army, but although Cotta was the younger by ten years, it was he who showed the most promise. Both were captains under the command of Scipio Asina, taking command positions in Legio IV. Both were present when Asina repelled wave after wave of Gallic raiders attacking the trade caravans along the northern trade routes, a year and a half ago. It was during these battles that Cotta's tactical prowess and flair had caught the eye of Asina, and it was on this merit that Asina (having stepped down as general of the northern legions a few months ago to concentrate on his political career), had advocated Cotta to become the new commander of Legio IV. The senate trusting in Asina's judgement granted command to Cotta, who was now the youngest serving general in the entire Roman army. And it was his tactical flair that now saw him commanding all the legions in southern Italia.

Cotta stretched out his arm and pulled Galerius to his feet. Galerius was half Gallic and a good foot taller than Cotta, who was by no means was small. Galerius, having been raised in the north, was familiar with warfare, having to fight off marauding bands of rebels from his tribes lands nearly all his adult life. So it was testament to Cotta's swordsmanship that he had beaten such a large, experienced fighter albeit with a wooden sword.

Both men walked over to the well, where they both took water straight from the bucket. As they rested, they noticed a small cloud of dust on the horizon above the pinnacles of the legions tents, getting bigger by the second....

'It's down to you Flaccus!'

Helenos Aiakides looked down at Flaccus, with a look of sheer frustration on his face. With both hands placed flat on the surface of the table, he pushed himself upright, keeping his hands on the table as he stood. Leaning forward he glared at Flaccus.

'Well?'

Flaccus not wanting to push his luck any further, realised he had taken the man as far as he could, and the box of precious stones in front of him was all he was going to get.

'Deal!'

Aiakides nodded at the guards who left the room of the palace immediately.

'Well?' ' Tell me what I need to know man!'

'Ok, ok' stated Flaccus, a smirk crossing his lips as he said it. 'Rome has re-deployed its northern legions to Apulia!'

Helenos didn't flinch, nor did he blink.

'How do I know this information is correct?' 'Where did you get it?'

'As you know, I am a SPY!' 'and as a spy I get to know things!' Flaccus played.

'Listen to me you little worm, if you do not tell me where you got this information, I will string you up and have you beaten like the dog you are!'

'Ok, ok' hurried Manius Flaccus, no smirk crossing his lips this time, 'I am under the command of Spurius Crotilo, head scout of Leg..'

Aiakides gasped out loud interuppting Flaccus mid word. Crotilo had been well known to Helenos for many months now. (Chief Scout, head spy and complete thorn in the side to all the Epirotes trying to campaign into Roman territory). The truth hit Aiakides like a slate between the eyes! He bowed his head in thought, a million possibilities entering then leaving his thoughts. After half a minute or so weighing up his next move, he spoke.

'You are a rich man now Flaccus....It is a shame you will never get to spend it! GUARDS!'

Flaccus quickly looked for an escape route but none was to be found. The guards rushed in and dragged Flaccus, kicking and screaming through the palace and out into the courtyard. After a few more fleeting wails and screams, Helenos could make out the sound of a brief gurgle on the evening breeze...then silence.

'Snake!' muttered Aiakides shaking his head, as a man with a very large plumed helmet walked into the room.

'Your orders sir?'

'Send a rider to Zenon, give him this scroll, then find me Belsenus!'...

Two men holding torches pulled apart the doorway to the tent. The rider stepped in and removed his helmet. 'Word from general Aiakides, captain.'

Captain Zenon took the scroll and unravelled it. He then took a huge gulp of his wine before reading “The time is right! General Helenos Aiakides”. Before Zenon had the chance to swallow the wine he had in his mouth, he found it leaving his open lips and spraying the cavalryman in front of him.

'Am i dismissed sir?' questioned the rider wiping the wine from his breastplate with the back of his hand whilst looking rather annoyed.

'Yes, yes, you may go... tell the general it will be done!' Said Zenon without so much as looking at the messenger.

As the rider reached the top of the hill towering over Zenon's camp he looked back. As far as the eye could see were miniature torches going to and fro all over the camp.

https://img103.imageshack.us/img103/3088/picture0412th.jpg

...Three men emerged from the dust cloud riding horses and made their way to the quarters of Spurius Crotilo. Watched by both Cotta and Dorotheus. The two friends shared a knowing look.

'Get outta the way!' grunted the battle scarred man with long, bright, red hair. His mane flowing in the sea breeze blowing over the land from the Adriatic. The guards flinched as he moved past them into Taras' provincial palace.

Aiakides looked up. 'Belsenus!' 'Good to see you!'

'You wanted to see me?' ' In the middle of the night?' grunted Belsenus, in no mood for pleasantries. Aiakides took the hint and delved straight in.

'Yes. I have received information that the Romans are moving all their legions from the north into nearby Apulia.' 'What I need is for them to change their minds, and keep their armies where they are...'

'How does this involve me?' sighed the Gallic warlord.

'Give me chance. I have here...' He showed Belsenus the item formerly belonging to Flaccus '...a box full of precious stones a friend gave me. They're yours if you so wish.

'And the price i must pay for these?'

'No price, but they are to be used to raise an army with. I ask in return that you cause havoc on the northern towns and trade routes of the Romans so they have to turn their armies back.'

'And what do I get from this...' Belsenus searched for an appropriate word, his mind not fresh after an evening of wine. '...expedition?'

'Well...of course, any riches you may come by along the way will be solely yours to do with what you wish...naturally.' Aiakides smiled Knowing that the merchants and farmers were using the Roman northern trade routes a lot these days. Belsenus, who in turn lifted the box, returned the smile and left the room. Helenos sat down in his seat, raised his cup and and offered a toast. 'Flaccus!'.

https://img103.imageshack.us/img103/7018/picture0088la.jpg

Spurius Crotilo rustled through his papers as if looking for something important, mumbling to himself as he went. 'Flaccus Flaccus Flaccus! Where the hell are you?'

Cotta walked into the tent. 'Is there a problem Spurius?' overhearing the man talking to himself.

Crotilo jumped, not realising the general had entered the tent. 'no,no....well yes actually sir.' replied Crotilo somewhat startled.

'Go on'

'You saw the men leaving my tent?'

Cotta nodded.

'They are some of my spies from Campania sir, and they report enemy movements heading in the direction of Capua.'

'So it's as we feared.' 'how long until they reach the city?'

'Give me one moment please sir.'

Crotilo pulled a large map from underneath a pile papers, that had on them what looked like some kind of diagrams or plans. Crotilo noticed Cotta looking at them before quickly shuffling them away.

He laid the map on the floor and bent down.

'They are here sir.' Crotilo pointed out the position of the Epirotes in a mountain pass between Campania and Calabria. 'It's my reckoning that they will reach Capua within weeks sir!'

'Can we catch them?'

'Yes...but the legions will have to march day and night with not much time for rest sir.'

'So it must be then!'

Crotilo glanced up at Cotta, and immediately saw the determination in his eyes.

'YES SIR!'

Zenon and the twelve thousand men marching with him could taste the spoils of Capua in their mouths already. The towns, villages and farming estates on the way had been the starter. Their appetites were whetted already, now it was time for the feast. The Epirote scouts had reported the whereabouts of the closest legions, and Zenon and his officers were confident they wouldn't be caught before sacking Capua. The plan was to sack the city take her riches and return to friendly soil before being caught by the Romans.

The sun was bright and hot, overhead an eagle squawked it's terrible song. Zenon turned his head and looked up to see the bird, but the sun was too bright. Bringing his head back round, something caught the corner of his eye....

https://img103.imageshack.us/img103/3750/picture0329zn.jpg

The scout returned, his horse snorting, out of breath from the run it had just been put through.

'How far away now soldier?' commanded Cotta.

'About three miles sir.'

'Do we remain undetected?'

'Yes! their scouts were easy prey for us this day sir!'

'Good!' 'Get the men ready Galerius!' Cotta shouted, before whispering to himself 'And may Mars also bless us this day!'

Zenon couldn't believe his eyes! In the distance a huge army was gathering and he was certain they were not allies. How in the gods had this army caught up with them?
Why had the scouts not reported their presence?....'No time for questions!' he thought to himself.

'Captains! To me!' he shouted down the line. Three men rode up beside him.

'Get the men ready right away. This day we go to battle!'

https://img103.imageshack.us/img103/2417/picture0029ai.jpg

To be continued........

Megalos
04-28-2006, 20:57
To answer someones question. I use paintshop.

Please note that i'm not a historian, so please excuse any inaccuracies.

Mega

Avicenna
04-28-2006, 21:58
Good stuff! I'd like it even more if you could give more detailed descriptions of the battles as well.

Ludens
04-29-2006, 10:52
Excellent. Though I do confess I am somewhat overwhelmed by the number of personages.

Megalos
04-29-2006, 12:37
Good stuff! I'd like it even more if you could give more detailed descriptions of the battles as well.

The battle will take place at the start of the next chapter. You'll get your description and tactical run down then. :2thumbsup: The battle written about in the story between Scipio Asina and the Gauls is purely fictional.

Excellent. Though I do confess I am somewhat overwhelmed by the number of personages.

Yes sorry about that. I'm just trying to cram the main players from the first book in without drivelling on and on. Hopefully the next few chapters will be full of action rather than introductions.

Dooz
04-29-2006, 15:47
I'm sure it'll get better with time. As you said, the beginning now is introductions. Very nice!

Alexanderofmacedon
04-29-2006, 15:51
For your pictures, I don't know if you meant to make the pictures of bad quality, but it gives it a great look. I think I like it more than a good quality pick. Good AAR!:2thumbsup:

PSYCHO V
05-03-2006, 03:10
Loving it! Well done :2thumbsup:

Spendios
05-03-2006, 21:54
Awesome ! The image with the roman army walking in the snow is very artistic ! Keep it up :2thumbsup:

GiantMonkeyMan
05-05-2006, 20:18
sweet looking aar! keep it up