PDA

View Full Version : Headphones

SwordsMaster
04-26-2006, 14:59
What it says up there. I'm looking for a good set of headphones, big, proper ones with as little sound leak as possible, and within a reasonable price range:
my budget allows: 90US$, 75€, 50£. I was thinking Technics for a brand, because those were the ones I had until recently, but I'm open to other suggestions. Most of all I'd like to hear people's reviews of the different models

Thanks

Lemur
04-27-2006, 04:26
Sennheiser makes some great mic-enabled cans, which you can check out here. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826106346) If you're looking for something more audiophile, I'm a big fan of Grado cans (http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/grado/grado-sr-60.php). Admittedly, Grados aren't closed as you specify, but they're pretty awesome nonetheless.

A pair of cans is a very personal choice. If at all possible you should audition them before you buy. If there's a store near you that stocks headphones, take a CD you're really familiar with and check out how it sounds.

SwordsMaster
04-27-2006, 09:29
Sennheiser makes some great mic-enabled cans, which you can check out here. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826106346) If you're looking for something more audiophile, I'm a big fan of Grado cans (http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/grado/grado-sr-60.php). Admittedly, Grados aren't closed as you specify, but they're pretty awesome nonetheless.

A pair of cans is a very personal choice. If at all possible you should audition them before you buy. If there's a store near you that stocks headphones, take a CD you're really familiar with and check out how it sounds.

Thanks for the advice! Will definitely do that. I was luring around the Senheiser page and found these (http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/sennheiser/sennheiser-eh-250.php)

Anybody have an opinion on them?

SwordsMaster
04-27-2006, 16:27
After reading some more reviews, I'm almost convinced to buy the Grados anyway for my mp3 player... At such a price and such apparent awesomeness (si that a word?) it would be almost wrong not to.... It still leaves my other problem unresolved...

Placid Tramp
04-27-2006, 17:26
I would also recommend the Grados, I have a pair of SR80's & nothing can touch them for clarity - be warned, you will not be able to go back to normal headphones after. They are open backed so there is plenty of sound leakage, but just tell your gilfriend/wife that the TV she is watching is making much more of a racket than your headphones - works for me anyway.

SwordsMaster
04-27-2006, 17:38
I would also recommend the Grados, I have a pair of SR80's & nothing can touch them for clarity - be warned, you will not be able to go back to normal headphones after. They are open backed so there is plenty of sound leakage, but just tell your gilfriend/wife that the TV she is watching is making much more of a racket than your headphones - works for me anyway.

I was actually considering them for commuting, it is more of an embarassment issue when the dozen people people around you discover that underneath that leather jacket and cool sunglasses there is a salsa fan. :laugh4:

And I need another pair for home use: computer games, movies, etc.

_Martyr_
04-27-2006, 19:32
My flatmate has a lovely pair of Grado SR125's which I use all the time. Great headphones for a great price. The only thing is that they arent all that practical, or stylish. The sound quality is unbelievable, but they are the kind of headphones that you hook up to your stereo or computer and listen to high quality audio while you sit in your armchair... Ive tried bringing them out and about with me with my Creative Zen, and although the sound quality was still top notch, they just arent very well suited for this sort use. I also dont find them all that comfortable, very little environmental sound insulation and they wouldnt be able to put up with a lot of ware and tare... not flimsy, but not exactly sturdy either. They have a thick chord on both sides which seems a bit odd to me and means there is a lot of cable hanging about all the time. They are really an audiophile's product, in that they are all sound quality and much less on the other aspects. Maybe some of the other Grado models are a different, but if you are looking for commuting headphones I wouldnt recommend them for that.

On a similar note, can anyone recomend some good active sound cancelling headphones in a similar price range... something like 60 - 80 euro. Cheers. :2thumbsup:

SwordsMaster
04-27-2006, 21:44
Thanks for the review Martyr, incidentally, just today I bumped into this baby (http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-application/traveling/).

Which I find handy.

SwordsMaster
04-29-2006, 14:51
Ok, finally, I went with the Senheisers 212 Pro for my mp3 player and portable application. I find them very good, except the bass is a little overdone compared to the highs, but still very clear and nice. Above all they are really comfortable to wear. I've been listening to them non stop for the last 3 hours and I could keep going for at least as long. They have very decent isolation too.

I'm still going with the Grado 80's for home use if I can find them in Dublin. Apparently it is cheaper to get them online from NY and get them shipped over here, than getting them here...

_Martyr_
04-29-2006, 16:31
Didnt realise that you're from Dublin too. Small world!

My flatmate got them sent over as well as far as I know.

If you dont mind me asking, where in Dublin did you pick up the Senheisers and how much did you end up paying?

SwordsMaster
04-29-2006, 17:07
Didnt realise that you're from Dublin too. Small world!

My flatmate got them sent over as well as far as I know.

If you dont mind me asking, where in Dublin did you pick up the Senheisers and how much did you end up paying?

I got them at the shop on George's st., its called "Back from the future" or something similarly grotesque, its right besides the Yamaha shop, so you can't really miss it. I paid 69€, which is an ok price.They don't have too many models there, but they have the most common ones you'd want for your mp3 player.

Yeah, after some research, there are only 2 places in Dublin where they do Grados, and its ludicrously expensive. I'll wait until i'm getting paid again before getting them now.

_Martyr_
04-29-2006, 18:11
Sweet thanks, I think I know the place. Ill have a look. I just want to give a few headphones a shot before I buy them. Im a little unwilling to spend 100 euro or so on a pair ive never tried on, so ill make an exception and not buy online this time.:juggle2: