PDA

View Full Version : just questions...

MaximianusBR
05-06-2006, 04:56
Just a curious thread:2thumbsup:...

what you favorite faction and unit in the game???

mine is: Rome and hetairoi...

Rodion Romanovich
05-06-2006, 07:51
Actually I think I've liked all factions I've played so far about equally. But since both Romani, Arverni and Kart Hadastim got blocker CTDs (I played them in earlier EB versions) I never got to finishing them and never got to try out their better units. So far Baktria and Makedonia are my only smoothly working campaigns. But Baktria was completed before I got to try out their later units, so therefore I don't think I can evaluate any other faction than Makedonia completely. I've now got to a stage where I can have a solid line of 6-10 Pezhetairoi, 1-2 generals, around 4 Hetairoi, a few Leuce Epos or Curepos (mercenaries or recruited in for example Tylis), 2Sotaroas/Sphendonetai/Toxotai/Akontistai/Peltastai, and 1-4 mercenary horse archers recruited in conquered Getai territories... A lot of flexibility. Baktria was interesting, exotic, and gave me a chance to face both phalanx based armies (arche seleukeia), and horse archer based armies (Pahlav, Yuezhi). It's a difficult choice but I think Makedonia has been a little more fun, due to the fact that finally most CTDs are gone and I can play many turns in a session so the AI too can expand. Makedonia also has a more interesting position where they have a potential to at some point in a campaign go to war with 90% of the factions, unlike Baktria which is at a map edge, so it makes for an interesting diplomatic situation, where my aim has been to avoid war with too many at the time, with the result that I've been able to keep up trade and income while I was fighting my wars ~:) On the other hand Makedonia has almost too good income, I've not had any economical problems at all since the beginning of the campaign, and short supply routes from training facilities to the front, but the latter might be because I'm finally adapting my playing style to the supply situation, choosing to whenever possible only expand where I can reinforce my troops easily.

Favorite unit is equally difficult to choose but I like leuce epos and curepos, as they've inspired me to new tactics and opened my eyes to the usefulness of javelin-armed cavalry. For a solid line, Pezhetairoi, Principes (and my mercenary Samnites) are very fun IMO. I also remeber liking the Pantodapoi phalangitai a lot in the early stages of my Baktria campaign. The Gaesatae are very fun to meet, and gives a sense of accomplishment when you can defeat them (but I've not yet used them in my own armies). It was very fun when my Makedonian troops got to fight a rebel army with 8 of them in Ankyra and managed to defeat them ~:) So they're probably my favorite enemy unit at least. Favorite unit to command is more difficult to choose.

Avicenna
05-06-2006, 13:21
How'd you complete Baktria that quickly? I can't even manage to get them past the two province mark, and I'm running out of cash to keep my armies. The rebels just respawn far too quickly, and I've lost Diodotos II. I started a KH campaign, playing slow and steady expansion, kicking Makedonia off the mainland. The blitz is boring, and, to be honest, I don't think I can manage one in EB VH.

EDIT: I forgot the question. I haven't played enough to know which faction I like the most and which unit, but it'll probably be the Romani, which I'm intending to play when the full EB version comes out. There are far too many units to decide.

Rodion Romanovich
05-06-2006, 15:40
Baktria is easy if you remember the following:
- the seleucids early on have little archery
- the selecuids early on have a lot of pantodapoi
- your own pantodapoi phalangitai are very useful for a very long time
- general's bodyguards rock

what I did was to as quickly as possible conquer the first rebel settlement to the southeast, then as quickly as possible turn west and snatch a seleucid settlement. I went on a drive south, then went back to handle a few counter-attacks, then south again, then further south, and then I had enough cash to train a half army for defending the north, so my southern army could go even further south, then west. By the time I reached the Eufrat and Tigris, I had enough cash to train an entire new army to the north, and press on towards the Eufrat and Tigris there too, and then train a third army to guard the north. My first army consisted of 4 pantodapoi phalangitai, general's bodyguards and eranshar arsthbara and thanvabara (archers). Most seleucid armies I faced early on consisted of mad asabara and pantodapoi, so it was pretty easy to deal with them, until they started training pezhetairoi, but by then I too had pezhetairoi. I'd say the pahlav and most rebels are more dangerous than the seleucids early in the Baktria campaign.

edyzmedieval
05-06-2006, 15:52
The Ptolemaioi and the Basilikon Agemata. ~D

Wardo
05-06-2006, 23:48
Romani, Cohorts Reformata, or however you spell it.

I was surprised with the Romans in EB, I was expecting a Roman-neglected mod, I didn't believed the preview, and after playing them (before the CTD-filled early version made me quit) I found a deep, extremely fun and well-made faction!

EB has the best Roman faction of all the mods I ever played. However, I haven't played them past Camillian because of the CTDs back in the day. Hopefully the 1.5 version will have less traces of Seleucid culture, and then I'll take the Romans all the way Past Marian enjoying the max out of it.

Long live the Romani in EB! Thanks for making a Roman faction actually interesting and fun to play.

EB's Romani made justice to the name of the game!

Mujalumbo
05-09-2006, 20:57
I might have to change my sig!

I'm havin' a rockin' good time as the Seleukids. I'm at war on three fronts, I'm still making money... not quite as much as the Ptolemies, but enough. I thought I'd be just biding my time until Rome came to power, but I've had a tough fight of it at the start!

Favourite unit is a toss-up between the Hypaspistai (because of their bitchin' swag), and the Thorakitai Argyraspidai (just because they're bad dudes). Ptolemaic Galatian Agemata are nice, pretty units, too. It hurts me to see the AI handle them so ineptly.

stalin
05-11-2006, 21:02
Favorite unit Heavy Samnite Infantry. They shame even the cohorts one on one. The type of unit to put on the wall and forget about when assaulting or defending. Always win, never take casualties. Almost cheating.
No fav faction.

Orb
05-12-2006, 17:09
Hayasdan's the most fun of those I've played. Diverse enemies (Seleukeia, Pontos, Ptolemaioi and now KH; and Horse archer and mixed foot/ha/archer rebels), decent units, diverse tactics available.

Presently my favourite unit are the Galatian Kluddolon: they are fairly flimsy, but numerous, and aggressive. An interesting unit, not a tank.

Avicenna
05-12-2006, 19:48
Stalin cares about his men? :shocked:

stalin
05-12-2006, 22:54
Stalin cares about his men? :shocked:
You do KNOW that the real Stalin is dead, right?:help:

Antagonist
05-12-2006, 23:22
I've played through several factions and have had fun with them all. Right now I'm playing with the Iberians and really liking it, it's a real challenge but very rewarding when you succeed.

Don't have any particular favourite unit, but I do seem to have a fondness for units with exotic or unusual weapons, like the Getai Drapanai or Goidilic Ordmhornaght. I liked the Ethiopiai Agemata as well.

Antagonist

Patriarch of Constantinople
05-13-2006, 06:42
I play Eb on my friends comp because im waiting on how to play with RTW gold. but my favorite faction is Baktria and my favorite unit is Elephants.