PDA

View Full Version : Army hierchy, and small units.

Mooks
05-07-2006, 07:53
I was playing medieval again. And I noticed myself grouping all units in nicia (Nice big province by constaninople) and just putting together 3 armys at a time and sending them off to the front with 3-4 star generals to get slaughtered. Then deleting the remainder and starting again.

This needs to be changed, because I did this on RTW but on a lower scale. Organized trained armys should be harder to destroy then a battle. I think that CA should implement a sytem where you can appoint a high ranking general the command of a army, then a lesser general the 2nd in command of the army. And add something else on top (Maybe a organization leader with good governinship/acumen, for morale porpuses). Armys need to be stopped being sent out [FONT="Arial Narrow"]en masse[FONT="Arial"] as fodder, a army hierchy will require a little thinking, compared to ....3 archer units, 2 horse,2 horse archers, 2 seige, 5 spearmen,a general, and 2 special units...

My second idea is to get rid of small units, espically on the AI side. Theres always AI going around with depleted units which dont stand a chance compared to my always at full strength units. There should be a system where they are automatically discarded, or put together in another unit. Half units, quarter units should be implemented.

Sorry for the long read :book:

A.Saturnus
05-08-2006, 20:43
I don't quite understand your first idea. Is it a correct interpretation that you want a commander who commands more than one stack but for example all the stacks in a "province"? I see that that might be usefull but how to implement this on the campaign map that is likely not to have provinces like in Medieval I? Furthermore, what does that have to with armies being fodder?

About your second idea: very small units got dicarded in ROME. And I'm sure that the AI at least occasionally merged quarter units.

Batory
05-08-2006, 21:17
Hollybabdit is right....i had a 5 star general and 4 star general in the same army stack ,when my leader hot killed my army got slauthered, 4 star gen. should have taken over........plus they should give us a choice of who will command at the beginnig of every battle.

Mooks
05-09-2006, 00:09
Maybe the 1st idea was not very thought out. Just the point is that there needs to be some factor that makes it so that armys wont just be manufactured and sent out to the front.

And I never noticed the grouping system in RTW, but then again I havent played in 3 months.