PDA

View Full Version : Ship question

orwell
05-07-2006, 23:43
Is there any particular Roman ship that's best suited to transporting troops around the med.? Or should I just go for the one with the cheapest upkeep?

O'ETAIPOS
05-08-2006, 00:00
roman oneraria is typical transport ship. Remember only it is "one use ship" you build one, load troops, land somewhere and disband ship. This is because oneraria is confiscated merchant ship - that's why it has that high upkeep and one turn build time.
Other ships are typical warships, but those also were used to carry troops.

orwell
05-08-2006, 00:33
Does how far they can travel vary between the ships? I'd rather have permanent transport ships than one use ones.

Simmons
05-08-2006, 03:09
Does how far they can travel vary between the ships? I'd rather have permanent transport ships than one use ones.
Orwell there are no travel limits on the oneraria its entirely up to you what you do with the ships, just be prepared to fork out the dough if you want to keep them around for more than one turn.

orwell
05-08-2006, 06:18
So I could sail from Alexandria to britain in one turn with them? That's what I'm after, covering the most distance in a single turn, I find the secondary ship, prontera? to do a... acceptable job but just a little more travel distance could make all the difference in some battles.

Avicenna
05-08-2006, 08:06
Alexandria to Britain in one turn is asking for a bit too much there...

orwell
05-08-2006, 08:35
I realize that, but, does the amount of distance you can travel in a single turn vary from ship to ship. Say I take a oneraria and go as far as I can, could I go further with a prontera or another ship? Or will I get to the location on the same turn?

O'ETAIPOS
05-08-2006, 08:56
Ships have the same movement points.

It is true that in current system there is no need for a ship like oneraria - the problem is lack of restrictions on how many men a fleet could carry. If there were some, then oneraria would be usefull being able to carry at least 10 times as much as Penteconterai.

GMT
05-08-2006, 18:04
I believe your ships are able to travel further if/when your admiral gets certain traits/ancillaries or gets more experienced.

orwell
05-08-2006, 19:31
Scripting can't fix it, does the movement points system regulate everything? Or can it be individualized? The warships could move slower while Oneraria could travel much greater distances to represent it being the main transport ship.

I'd like to see a better balance between the upkeep and initial cost, If they were expensive to build, but cheap in upkeep, it'd make them a much more important aspect of the game. I played with this in a mod for RTR and it made it very interesting, though maybe we'll see more ships with 1.5. Though, how does the AI handle the high initial cost, would it just deter them from using them altogether?