PDA

View Full Version : New mod

Carl_B
05-09-2006, 21:23
Theres a small mod out there called 'Rome Total ZOR' by ER, i would like to make this big. I dont plan on changing the map or factions, i just wan to change the overall look of the mod or produce a similar to RTZOR, i plan to do this by editing the textures of you units. I might even plan on changing it a bit. If your interested reply.

Bwian
05-10-2006, 19:41
A word of friendly advice.....

This is your second 'mod' project announced in as many days. You have no track record of modding around here, and do not seem to have actually done anything to start the mods yourself.

You are hoping to have experienced modders come flocking to help you, and, with your last idea, when no-one did, you gave up.

Can you honestly expect anyone to help you with a mod?

If you want to make a mod for RTW, you will get plenty of advice here, and people will help you solve problems and get things done....but YOU need to do the work.

Start your mod on your own. If it looks promising, you will attract others who share your interest. Demonstrate you have some skills that will move the mod forward, and that if someone comes to join, they won't be the ones expected to do all the work to make your mod happen!

Also, when it comes to modders, there is a shortage of modellers, animators, texture guys and experienced scripters. You need to give a really good reason why someone should work for you, rather than any of the big, established mod teams.....who are always on the lookout for extra talent.

Personally, I have gained the skills to mod most of the aspects of the game to a reasonable degree. My skin painting isn't the best....and my text editing is a bit rusty....but I can model, animate, and put working content in the game. I also have a good understanding of what's possible..... I don't need a 'team' to make a mod with, since I could ( given time ) make a complete mod unaided. From that position, I can just start what I want to do, and see if anyone expresses an interest in joining. I don't NEED them...but if they have ideas and the right attitude to pushing the boundaries coupled with the skills to turn their ideas into reality...well, they get hired! Thats how a mod grows.

Make some content
Show it off here
See who comes along

And....if you can't find the time to learn the skills and do the work, and quit as soon as you hit the first hurdle....well, who the hell is going to join your team!

Pantsalot
05-10-2006, 21:17
kinda harsh..... but true

caius britannicus
05-10-2006, 21:25
Start your mod on your own. If it looks promising, you will attract others who share your interest. Demonstrate you have some skills that will move the mod forward, and that if someone comes to join, they won't be the ones expected to do all the work to make your mod happen!

Make some content
Show it off here
See who comes along

And even then it doesn't happen. You can have the most popular mod around and no one offers to help or at least very very few. When I announced my mod, The Crusades, back in october/november it was very very popular. Even now my threads have tens of thousands of views and thousands of posts over several major forums. And do you want to know how many people offered to help. One, just one. There were others later but they came through pre-existing contacts. The modding community for RTW just can't support anymore mods at the current rate. If you are announcing a new mod and have no experience you might as well not even start cause you wont get any help (as there is none). Do as Bwain said, build up your own skills and start small.

satanea juda
05-10-2006, 22:42
And even then it doesn't happen. You can have the most popular mod around and no one offers to help or at least very very few. When I announced my mod, The Crusades, back in october/november it was very very popular. Even now my threads have tens of thousands of views and thousands of posts over several major forums. And do you want to know how many people offered to help. One, just one. There were others later but they came through pre-existing contacts. The modding community for RTW just can't support anymore mods at the current rate. If you are announcing a new mod and have no experience you might as well not even start cause you wont get any help (as there is none). Do as Bwain said, build up your own skills and start small.

Holy crap i remember when you started, and you only got one offer of help, dam i assumed you would have people queing round the block, or i would have stuck my hand up,

i agree with the others, i'd never even heard of modding a few months ago and i've taught myself, or picked up tutorials and help from the mod forums, It's unfortunate but true there are to many "ideas" and not enough modders, just the other day i saw an idea about elves and goblins that only lasted a few days before it got trashed.....oh wait that was yours, honestly i'm doing it on my own no one ever offered me help, you just have to take the plunge.