PDA

View Full Version : System Mechanic Pro 6

Mikeus Caesar
05-10-2006, 13:40
Yesterday my Dad said it would be a good idea to install this thing on my PC, claiming it would clean up my system. It did so, but then while it was in the middle of a deep analysis it just randomly switched, like there'd been a power cut and rebooted. I thought nothing of it, thinking it might be a bit much for the system. So, i started up SM again, and left it idling on the main menu while i chatted on MSN. The damn thing suddenly rebooted again. Now i was annoyed. I ran a system repair, and once it had finished left it waiting or me to restart while i talked on MSN again. It did another sudden reboot. I turned it back on, said sorry to my friend and then turned off and went to bed. All of this was over a 4 hour period.

Then i turn it on this morning. Within a minute of me logging on, a Sudden Reboot strikes. I try again, same thing happens. This keeps on going on and on, and there's nothing i can do. Because my PC is so slow on start-up, i can't even do system restore.

Help!

Placid Tramp
05-10-2006, 16:49
As SMP6 had an intergarated firewall & AV, if you already had these they could be conflicting with each other. Bootup in safe mode (hold dow F8 as your PC boots) & disable/uninstall SMP6's firewall & AV to see if it imprves matters.

Mikeus Caesar
05-10-2006, 17:48
Hm, looking at it now, i think the combination of having lots of proggies auto-start on log on plus the extreme heat conditions are stressing the CPU.

I think we're looking at a repeat of last summer, where my CPU melts...

LeftEyeNine
05-10-2006, 22:41
Oh my..Another victim of System Mechanic Pro..

Stay away..STAY AWAY AND RUUUUUUUUN !!!!

Ah..Well..I've been a bit too nervous for an AM..

Such system tool suites can be as destructive as they are that much helpful. Norton Systemworks was a disastrous product in the beginning. I wonder if it still is. And so is SMP6..

I absolutely recommend Tuneup Urilities 2006..No headaches, trust me.

And finally your problem looks quite alike to corrupted OS. I'd recommend you to log into Safe Mode by pressing F8 just at the moment Windows starts to load. You'll be given a menu with options, you need to choose Safe Mode.

Safe Mode looks weird since most of the devices are not loaded (e.g. low resolution). But it can be a lifesaver under certain circumstances.

When you are in Safe Mode, uninstall SMP6. And have a registry clean. Take restart and logon normally and see what happens. If problem persists, login to Safe Mode again and backup your data because you may be needing formatting unfortunately.

Good luck.

P.S. For a registry clean, get Tuneup Utilities 2006 -it gives a fully functional 30-day evaluation period.

Mikeus Caesar
05-11-2006, 11:55
Oh my..Another victim of System Mechanic Pro..

Stay away..STAY AWAY AND RUUUUUUUUN !!!!

Ah..Well..I've been a bit too nervous for an AM..

Such system tool suites can be as destructive as they are that much helpful. Norton Systemworks was a disastrous product in the beginning. I wonder if it still is. And so is SMP6..

I absolutely recommend Tuneup Urilities 2006..No headaches, trust me.

And finally your problem looks quite alike to corrupted OS. I'd recommend you to log into Safe Mode by pressing F8 just at the moment Windows starts to load. You'll be given a menu with options, you need to choose Safe Mode.

Safe Mode looks weird since most of the devices are not loaded (e.g. low resolution). But it can be a lifesaver under certain circumstances.

When you are in Safe Mode, uninstall SMP6. And have a registry clean. Take restart and logon normally and see what happens. If problem persists, login to Safe Mode again and backup your data because you may be needing formatting unfortunately.

Good luck.

P.S. For a registry clean, get Tuneup Utilities 2006 -it gives a fully functional 30-day evaluation period.

Thanks for the help LEN, but the PC managed to stay on long enough for me to do a system restore, thus removing SMP6 and undoing whatever it messed up. All is good now! I had the PC running for 6 hours non-stop yesterday after removing SMP6, no problems occured!

When you say 'another victim', do you mean to say that you too have been caught out by this evil program?

Mouzafphaerre
05-11-2006, 14:55
I had fond memories with System Mechanic in the dark age of Win98...except the built in spyware. :furious:

LeftEyeNine
05-11-2006, 15:53
When you say 'another victim', do you mean to say that you too have been caught out by this evil program?

In the world of these gadgets, experience counts more than it does in any other areas..So that means a definite "YES!"..~:)