PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Challenge

barocca
05-10-2006, 14:22
with the advent of armed Shogun style castles into the campaign here is a tactical challenge regarding overcoming a defender in a very strong defensive position in MP,
(cause we are going to want to play with the nice graphics in MP)

please excue the bragging,
but this challenge is most achievable

(tomorrow i will look for the map, off to work in 5)

Imagine if you will an actual Shogun map (that i truly cannot recall the name of - NOT Yamashiro)
Playing Shogun WITHOUT the Mongol Expansion.

when looking FROM the attacker TO the defender you are see a long flat plain through the middle of the map,
on the left forward (defenders) edge is a nice gentle slope that runs towards the right corner,
in the right corner itself is a HUGE ridge, with just enough frontage to array two armies facing the attackers,
but only enough depth to deploy one unit wide (four men deep) facing flank attacks,
the gentle slope ends on a higher elevation than the ridge, with a very severe gully seperating the two, but the slope is exposed to the defenders for the full length because it also slopes back towards the left center of the map, (you could march two units side by side along the slope towards the ridge - marching from the forward left corner of the map to the right)
the frontal area of the ridge (facing the attackler) has only two forward facing slopes that are passable but quite steep, both flanks are passable but quite steep (one facing the gentle slope across a severe gully).
(meaning you have the flank (steep slope), then an impassable bit, then a passable steep slope (2 units wide), then another impassable bit, the second passable slope(steep - 2 units wide) then another impassable bit, then the opposite flank (steep slope))

To further complicate matters a heavily wooded ridge runs down the right side of the map, quite unsuitable for defence due to it's hilly nature
(it undulates almost all the way to the attackers back edge edge of the map)
but it is an excellent position for a couple of ambush units to charge into the flank of an assaulting forve.

2v2 i always went on that map with my clanmate of the time, a chap called Mori Motonari aka Phoenix aka Dark Phoenix.

We always went as attacker.

We NEVER insisted on any set limits on units/upgrades,
and we never "honoured up" our Ashi (or any unit) either.
Honour was spread fairly evenly among our units.

We never took more than 2 guns each, 1 archer each and ONE of us took 1 cav archer.
One of us never took any cavalry!
We took only 1 Naginata each.
(Shogun was limited to SIXTEEN units only per player.)

We never rushed, but made a carefully calculated approach in FULL VIEW of the defenders.

How Did We Win Every Single Game We Played On That Map WITHOUT using any voice chat / real time chat/messaging software (other than in game chat)??
and without using any cheat methods whasoever?

(fog battles were even easier for us, so lets ignore fog days, they required different tactics)
so assume a full bright sunny day

HOW DID WE WIN??
(read back through my description carefully - all the clues are there)

i look forward to your theories
B.