PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean your mouse?

ZombieFriedNuts
05-14-2006, 18:42
I normally just use a tweezers from my penknife but there’s got to be an easier way and it doesn’t get everything what do other people use

Monarch
05-14-2006, 18:53
I normally just use a tweezers from my penknife but there’s got to be an easier way and it doesn’t get everything what do other people use

You go and buy an optical that doesn't pick up dirt :idea2:

lol...

Alexanderofmacedon
05-14-2006, 19:22
You go and buy an optical that doesn't pick up dirt :idea2:

lol...

For some reason I have an optical and I like ball mice better. To clean it I just open it up, use my finger nails to loosen it, then clank it on the mouse pad. Usually it comes off right then...:2thumbsup:

edyzmedieval
05-14-2006, 21:23
I have an optical, but I had roll balls for many years. Pain for me to clean them.

Zain
05-14-2006, 21:30
The ball mice can be cleaned off by using a simple pencil eraser.

Works very well too!

-ZainDustin

Zalmoxis
05-14-2006, 21:55
Optical all the way! But before that, I'd use use cotton swabs.

Seasoned Alcoholic
05-14-2006, 22:24
I used to clean the trackball mice with something sharp, like a compass ~D They used to pick-up so much dirt from the mousemats...

I used to play FPS' with a trackball - was a bit shocked after switching over to an optical mouse, because you can mouselook much sharper and faster than trackballs ever could do.

SwordsMaster
05-14-2006, 22:33
Never cleaned it. You can get the chepest mouse possible for 3 euro. So every 4-5 months or so I'd just get a new one. :2thumbsup:

Somebody Else
05-15-2006, 00:13
Apparently human saliva is one of the best solvents for lifting the gunk that accumulates on computer mice - the gunk being mostly made up of human skin and sweat...

To clean an organic mouse; first, extract from snake.

Alexander the Pretty Good
05-15-2006, 00:51
I used to have ball mice (relation to ball python? ~;p) and cleaned them with my fingers. But a $10 Logitech optical goes a looooong way.

hoom
05-15-2006, 05:11
I use fingernails too (one of the little advantages of fairly long nails)
Opticals of course are better (as long as they are of a design that doesn't get little hairs in the optical path)

Reverend Joe
05-15-2006, 05:22
Fingernail.

I will always use ball mice from now on. I had an optical for a while, but it seemed to go berzerk at random times and the cursor would jump to one corner of the screen, far off the edge of the screen, so I had to pull it back onscreen. Very annoying. So ball mice for me.

(Off topic, this seems like the appropriate place to crack a joke about not having any "balls"... but I am not that much of a nerd to actually know a joke about that.)

GoreBag
05-15-2006, 07:10
With my hands.

Taurus
05-15-2006, 08:29
I prefer ball mice to optical mice. To clean them I just use a paperclip, the only downside I have with ball mice though is the fact that the ball wares down relativley quickly.

Ja'chyra
05-15-2006, 09:10
I always prefer to clean my balls by hand.

But now I have an optical mouse.

_Martyr_
05-15-2006, 11:14
People, buying a reasonably priced optical mouse is one of the best upgrades you can do... Its such a world apart from the clunky, slow, unresponsive and work intensive ball mouse. I used to have to clean that thing about twice a week. It drove me nuts!!! Id take the ball out and wipe it down, and id use a shard implament to remove the grime from the mouse itself... HELL!:dizzy2:

orangat
05-15-2006, 15:43
There is absolutely no reason to use ball tracking mice anymore.

Optical mice with no roller ball are lighter and offer superior resolution without any extra cost.

drone
05-15-2006, 17:57
Back in the day when I had a ball mouse, I would take the ball out, and use my fingernail to scrape the buildup from the rollers. Fortunately, I have an optical now, and no longer have to worry about this.

Reverend Joe
05-15-2006, 18:13
:thinking: Did noone read my post? Every optical mouse I have ever owned refuses to cooperate with me. The pointer thingy keeps shooting to the corner of the screen and sticks there. This has happened, without fail, with every computer and every optical mouse I have ever owned. They SUCK. Ball mice are just fine. They have never been "clunky, slow, unresponsive" or "work-intensive". So quit the frickin' salesman routine.

_Martyr_
05-15-2006, 18:27
Jees mate, no one is trying to sell you anything. Chill. I used to get what you are describing with my first optical mouse, it was pretty cheap (under 10 euro). Since I bought my most recent one (actually I was given it...) I have absolutely nothing but praise for the thing, it cost about 35 - 50 euro, but to me it made almost as much diference as my 100 euro RAM upgrade I did a while ago.

Theres not really much of an argument, as orangat points out, optical mice are technically speaking, simply better. If you prefer roller mice, thats cool, but technically opticals are simply superior.

ZombieFriedNuts
05-15-2006, 22:01
I also had a crazy optical mouse, but I got a free ball mouse with my laptop from the DSA when i went to uni and it works better so I kept it. That’s why I want know how to clean it.

Uesugi Kenshin
05-16-2006, 02:26
With my thumb, it is a trackball so all you need to do is wipe off the little things that hold the ball in and every now and then wipe off the optical window thingy. Knocking it on the desk is also helpful at times, but it rarely does the trick.

hoom
05-16-2006, 06:22
Zorba I used to get that happen but that was a cheap one that got hair in the way of the light.
Since I got my M$ intellimouse a couple of years ago I've not had an issue with that.

Mouzafphaerre
05-16-2006, 14:45
After decapitating and unskinning, straightly cut the mouse from the throat vertically down until between the aftlegs. Then take out the stomach, guts and stuff. Wash the inside with flowing water a few minutes to get rid of the blood and it must be clean. :chef:

Uesugi Kenshin
05-16-2006, 22:32
Mouza do you marinate your mice, cook them, or eat them raw?

Around here we generally like to use a peanut sauce, but occasionally we get lazy, or can't get the fire started.....:shame:

Mouzafphaerre
05-17-2006, 01:05
I serve it to Miaulë. :laugh4: He wouldn't mind how. ~D

Lemur
05-17-2006, 15:52
Ah, ball-based mice, that's taking me back. Here's how the lemur used to clean them:

Remove the ball. Take it to the sink and wash it with dishwashing liquid. Dry it thoroughly before you even think about putting it back in.

Now use a combination of tweezers and cotton swabs (dabbed in water) to loosen and scrape away the gunk from the rollers. Again, dry thoroughly.

By the end of this process, the mouse should behave like new.

Zain
05-17-2006, 21:58
I've got an optical now, so I don't even have to worry about that anymore! :2thumbsup:!!!

Moros
05-20-2006, 18:40
used to do it with siccors, worked quite well.