methoz
05-19-2006, 17:16
i have problem with installation
how to install :help:

Shark974
05-19-2006, 19:01
Report GPM instructions:

Installation Instructions
Fairly simple, download the demo, and extract it to you RTW folder (ex: C:\Activision\Rome - Total War) overwriting files when prompted.
Once installed, go to your RTW directory, right click on your RTW (NOT BI, if you have it) exe and select "Create Shortcut". Select the new shortcut, right click, and hit properties. Find the "Target" box, and AFTER the quotation mark at the end, add -mod:citadel (put in another space and add -show_err while you there too). Click "Ok" and from now on double click that shortcut to run Citadel. This way it does not mess with Vanilla RTW, or any other mods! Whoop!

please when you report a crash, write exactly when it happen and what you was doing.

A known bug is on the main menu due to background movie (I have it on my desktop but not on my laptop, it is probably due to video card), when you click shortcut you see CA and Rome introduction movies, then our Citadel loading screen, before you see the main menu Rome crash and you seee an icon on bottom bar. You can solve it in this way:
go to menu folder (ex: C:\Activision\Rome - Total War\Citadel\Data\menu)
change this file Dump0000.m1v with the same of Vanilla Rome (you can find here ex: C:\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\menu)

DochtorGajo
05-19-2006, 19:15
I made everything exactly after instructons for some 10th time still same effect: CTD without any intro. What could be prob in this case?:book:

Shark974
05-19-2006, 19:27
I made everything exactly after instructons for some 10th time still same effect: CTD without any intro. What could be prob in this case?:book:
I am sorry, what version you have? I can advise you to try on a fresh installation. I hope GPM can help you tomorrow.

DochtorGajo
05-19-2006, 20:09
I have both 1.5 and 1.6 patches installed.

Stormy
05-21-2006, 00:09
I like this mod, gentlemen. Good work. :2thumbsup:
I have only one little problem, my game freezes during "gun powder" battles and also there is no gun sounds. Other than that, great work, wonderful looking units. Keep it up. :2thumbsup:

GodsPetMonkey
05-21-2006, 03:51
I like this mod, gentlemen. Good work. :2thumbsup:
I have only one little problem, my game freezes during "gun powder" battles and also there is no gun sounds. Other than that, great work, wonderful looking units. Keep it up. :2thumbsup:

There are sounds for all the gunpowder units - for some reason some people can't get them working without a bit of editing (I have no idea why, never had any trouble with a fresh install). Goto your RTW directory, then move to DATA/sounds and rename events.idx - that should do it.

As for it crashing with gun units, does it happen when they start firing? is it just some gun units (eg. infantry with firearms, but not cannon), and could you post yoru machines specs?

DochtorGajo
05-21-2006, 10:19
Really exciting and enjoyable battles though cav unit could be smaller cause theyre too strong then.:laugh4: But its really great that once you charge with them fight lasts quite long so good charge decides fight nice to see this.

Ciaran
05-21-2006, 18:18
Really neat, from what I´ve seen so far, and it works without problems :2thumbsup: . Though the vanilla version crashes immediately when I use the Rtw exe, I suppose that´s due to the patch1 file that got overwritten.

Your unit stats seem a bit over the top, but whatever works is cool, and the units look really nice. Though I´m mssing quite a lot of those already shown in the screenshot threat.

Looking in the install directory, there seems a lot of stuff missing, like the whole units and ui folders.

Uesugi Kenshin
05-21-2006, 20:51
The charge and defense values tend to be gigantic so that the charges will be very strong (when compared to just melees) and so that the melees will be slower, and last longer.

I'm glad you enjoy it!

DochtorGajo
05-21-2006, 21:35
Yes its a great system and still so simple.:laugh4:

Cant wait for Gendarmes ingame.

GodsPetMonkey
05-22-2006, 07:08
Really exciting and enjoyable battles though cav unit could be smaller cause theyre too strong then.:laugh4: But its really great that once you charge with them fight lasts quite long so good charge decides fight nice to see this.

Yeah, cavalry are strong, particularly on the charge (but be sure to alt-charge them - those lances are nearly useless as the fighting turns into a prolonged melee!).

But cavalry, especially heavy cavalry have their weaknesses - the heavy cavalry of the western nations have many advantages over their lighter cousins (both in the east and west) - but there are rapidly worn down as you face more and more advanced units - later infantry can have the armour to stand up to them, and the weapons to take them down quickly - AP polearms really bring them down, they still are stronger then light and medium cavalry, but the cost and unit size makes them the less attractive option. Firearms also eat heavy cavalry up - it's really a race in firearm v cavarly skirmishes - will the cavalry get to them before a volley is let off? If not, 30-50% casaulties is not out of the question, and that's enough to put a rather large lump in any knights throat!

While I am here, some more tips for some more balanced and interesting battles.

Archers are fast firing, have excellent range, but weak damage (with only a few types having AP arrows - none in the demo ATM!)
Firearms have excellent damage, great anti-armour abilities, but crap range and a low rate of fire.
Crossbows are sort of in the middle, good range, fair damage, but their reload is definately on the slow side.

With infantry, pikes are your stay-anywhere, stop-anything unit - weak on the move, its best to park them and have them grind the enemy down, they are especially good at eating horses, though a horse and knight wrapped in armour has the kind of inertia that could give a pikeman a really nasty headache. Be weary of militia pikes - they are not very well trained and can't maintain a nice orderly formation like they more professional allies.
Polearms make great heavy infantry - even the lighter ones! Those poles are big, powerful, and great for tackling armour - and even get a bonus against mounted units. But they are also slow and tire easily. In cheaper and earlier armies, they form the cream of your infantry, while in later era battles, mix them in with your pikes to provide counter attacks and flanking manouvers.
Swordsmen are swift and and agile, excellent for engaging line infantry, or tieing up pikes. Most infantry have a sword, so keep this in mind with any ranged or pike units - you can use them to quickly overwhelm the enemy, or bolster a faltering part of your line - some of them are even as good as dedicated sword-units in close combat!

Never underestimate the power of artillery either - one unit of serpentines is unlikely to cause major devestation, but their range and accuracy make them great for taking down elite units - watch for the sniper going for the general!
Culverins are not so good in field battles, though when you get hit by one, you feel it. They are better used against static walls and buildings.

DochtorGajo
05-22-2006, 15:38
Well I use cavalry allways just like charge and then get out of infatry at the other side followed by infantry that now should have advantage in morale and numbers so its somehow easy to reduce heavy halberdiers in two charges to one third of unit size when nessesary.:book:

DochtorGajo
05-23-2006, 10:09
What about Venetian elmetti should they have fully barded horse? I just looked into fac preview and they look dangerous with that kind of pony.:2thumbsup:

Sargon-1
06-18-2006, 18:59
I have a problem!:help:
I made an installation. I made a second shortcut RTW.exe. Then I added show_err, and clicked OK. The mode run from the second shortcut. After that the mode begun to run, the program made a sound, the mark of the "mouse" appeared on the screne and the program got frozen. After "escape" on the screne the following -
"Script Error in data/descr_mount.txt, at line 132, column 1.
Could not find battle model for mount "medium barded horse".
Please, explain me why it is happening!:wall:
I think that, I just need a right data/descr.