PDA

View Full Version : RTW PBE Multiplayer Release

Myrddraal
05-19-2006, 17:52
Please see here

Play By Email Multiplayer/Hot Seat Campaign - Release (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=64876)

Myrddraal

Mount Suribachi
05-19-2006, 20:46
Am I reading this right - you've done a mod to allow a multiplayer campaign, the Holy Grail of TW MP? ~:o

Myrddraal
05-20-2006, 00:32
Yes, its been in development for a long time. The tests were quite disapointing really - lack of co-ordination on the part of the players I guess.

I was going to make a nice interface for it, but I don't have the time any more. I thought the PBE players would be the most interested in this, as you are already quite co-ordinated. :bow:

Myrddraal
05-21-2006, 22:06
So is there any interest in this on the part of the PBeM fans?

Glaucus
05-21-2006, 23:52
I'm not very good with computers, and frankly, I can't understand it :dizzy2: :dizzy2: :dizzy2: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Myrddraal
05-22-2006, 00:26
Hmm maybe I've made the first post too technical. But how about the concept:

You run a script (its easy once you know how)
Play your turn
Press end turn
The script does its buisness
You quit the game and send the save file to the next player
Who loads it and plays as the next faction.

And so on, you can have AI factions as well. In effect it's a play by email multiplayer campaign.

Glaucus
05-22-2006, 00:47
so you could have up to 18 people playing against each other?!? Sounds awesome to me.

econ21
05-22-2006, 01:04
It's a very interesting idea, Myrddaal, and an impressive piece of work. :bow:

Personally, I confess I like the cooperative nature of PBEMs - ok I'm a wuss - so I am not sure it is for me.

But if people here want to organise a Multiplayer PBE, the facilities of the Throne Room are open to them.

Avicenna
05-23-2006, 21:17
I'm probably too busy to play, and am probably more interested in co-op, but just out of curiosity:

I'm assuming all battles are autoresolved?

If one player drops out, can his role be taken up by the AI?

Myrddraal
05-25-2006, 17:08
If one player drops out, can his role be taken up by the AI?

You can re-generate the script half way through a game, so yes. Similarly if another player wants to join, or maybe if one player gets destroyed early on, an AI faction can be taken over by a player.

If any of you are interested, UltraWar is starting a campaign.
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=65101