PDA

View Full Version : Quick guide to Adding Loyalty in RTW v1.5

Stuie
05-20-2006, 18:30
Quick run-down as to how to get this working in RTW v1.5 mods.....

You need to mod the following files:

1. descr_sm_factions.txt
Add "shadowed_by" and "shadowing" to the appropriate factions.

2. descr_event_enums.txt
Add in the text from the BI files that relates to shadow factions (I actually just used the BI file and it worked).

3. descr_event_images.txt
Add in the events relating to shadow factions (again, I just used the BI file).

4. descr_sounds_events.txt
Add in the sounds relating to shadow factions (or use the BI file).

5. export_descr_character_traits.txt
Add in the appropriate loyalty traits.

6. text\event_strings.txt
Add in the BI shadow event strings.

7. text\event_titles.txt
Add in the BI shadow event titles.

8. text\message_text_lookup.txt
Add in the character rebels/joins and city gained/lost stuff from BI. (I copy and pasted everything in from BI and that works fine).

9. text\tooltips.txt
Add in the loyalty tooltips from the BI file.

10. world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt
Add in LoyaltyStarter traits for characters in the appropriate factions.

11. \ui\roman\interface\stratpage_02.tga
Copy in the "ring" symbol from the BI file. Note I've only done this for romans thus far...

I'm pretty sure that's everything I touched. I've only tested a few turns in, but revolts have happened and I am able to go forward with no CTDs. I think the missing event stuff was what was causing CTDs for others that have tried this.

shaggy1973
05-20-2006, 19:03
You make it sound so easy stuie :)

Would be good for a faction specific mod tho, adding another layer of strategy into the game.

Stuie
05-20-2006, 20:40
You make it sound so easy stuie :)

Sorry - didn't have time to make it sound more complicated! :laugh4:

shaggy1973
05-21-2006, 13:54
how about one for religion :P

DimeBagHo
05-21-2006, 19:01
I've added loyalty for the Romans and the Greek cities in XGM. It works reasonably well, although there are still some remaining problems.

1. Rebel factions can't be emergent and playable.
2. If a rebel faction is playable you will get a game lost message when the parent faction is destroyed.

These are minor problems. The easiest solution is just to make any rebel factions unplayable.

3. If a rebel faction is not emergent then family members that go over to the rebels will become idle.
4. If a rebel faction is emergent, and a family member goes over to the rebels when the rebels are dead (i.e. they have no settlements) then you will get a CTD.

These are more serious problems. The solution I came up with was to make the rebel factions emergent and then supress rebeling characters, by using chacter traits, while the rebel faction is dead.

5. If you play a faction with loyalty, and you caputure a city during the AI turn, you will get a CTD under some circumstances (whenever the city shows as empty just before you capture it, like when the garrison sallies and gets wiped out to a man).

I haven't found a solution to this problem yet, although it is not hard for the player to avoid.

I also haven't done all of the things mentioned in Stuie's post (I didn't do the sound stuff) so that might help with some of these problems.

DimeBagHo
05-21-2006, 19:03
Double post.

Sûlherokhh
04-02-2008, 21:37
I realize this thread is somewhat old, but what the heck. :inquisitive:

So, i've implemented all the changes to the files listed in post #1. I have the feeling that i did right, basically. Now i have run into a funny problem. After adding shadow factions to the romans, i have taken the total number of factions listed in the file 'desc_sm_factions.txt' to 25. After 21 the engine seems to stop reading the stuff. #22 is now Scythia and during runtime the debugger patiently explains to me that the first unit listed in 'export_descr_unit.txt' that is owned by Scythia has an 'invalid ownership'. :P

Now i have read about the hardcoded limits of the vanilla game. I was simply wondering if that is so, why do the instructions in post #1 not mention this? Or is this a solution that would work under a differently patched version of the game (not BI). I am currently playing and modding RTW-gold, which i assume is using patch 1.5.

Any help or helpful comment on this would be very much appreciated.

Sûl.

Squid
04-02-2008, 21:44
The instruction don't mention it, because it's listed in the hardcoded limits that you can't have more than 21 factions. In order to add loyalty you have to remove one of the existing factions and make it into your rebel faction.

Sûlherokhh
04-02-2008, 21:50
Allrighty. :wall:

Now comes the hard part of deciding which factions to remove. Man. Why is the hardcoded wall always the first thing i hit no matter which game i modify? :inquisitive:

Thanks for helping me out in my first mod on RTW.