PDA

View Full Version : E3 report

Lusted
05-23-2006, 22:26
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51538&page=1&pp=20

That link is to a thread done by Steeven at TWc reporting his E3 experiences with MIITW. Several interesting things are mentioned by him:

He(CA rep) said they were now going to work on the AI and that they'll have till winter to work on that. Because almost all other work on the game is done now, sooner then expected, I hope he gives word and we see an M1:TW like AI. He admitted that the AI in Rome was kinda crappy in the long term.

What I noticed during playing was that the maps are really huge and that the fighting looks more natural, not so mechanical like in Rome.

What I remember is that the cavalry really made an impact on the infantry, they really came trembling done on them, without stopping. They stopped because they were getting surrounded, but the first attack was really smooth. I know what you mean with Rome and the halting just before the unit clashes into another, but I didn't see any of that.

Callahan9119
05-24-2006, 07:19
well if they are done except for the ai, i'll be very disappointed by the units movement speed...it is way too fast, look at the gameplay clips from e3...they cover too much ground

i also dont think the ai in MTW was anything to wish for...it was horrible. i will say the individual unit interaction when in melee looked outstanding from what i saw...my problem again goes to the speed of the game...coupled with the unit imbalance from rtw it made for cheesy mp matches.

the brilliance of mtw was the pacing of the fights and some unit balance, patience and a good handle on your arbs. rtw was an arcade clashing of overpowered elite units, i hope they find some middle ground

the graphics are darn pretty

Dutch_guy
05-24-2006, 11:27
This part caught my attention :

What I noticed during playing was that the maps are really huge and that the fighting looks more natural, not so mechanical like in Rome.

Bigger battle maps so it seems, great ! :2thumbsup:

:balloon2:

Furious Mental
05-24-2006, 11:45
I suspect that the reputedly enormous maps will temper the effect of high unit speed somewhat.

Zatoichi
05-24-2006, 13:35
Hmmm - well, I wonder if the bigger maps will be for all engagements - the guy who played it was playing a siege battle, and these maps are already bigger in RTW than the standard 'field' battle maps that get generated from the campaign map.

But it would be good if this were the case! I'd also like to see the distance between the armies at initial deployment be increased, to give more time for manouvering...

Orda Khan
05-24-2006, 16:26
He admitted that the AI in Rome was kinda crappy in the long term.
Nice to see they finally admit it. Now let's hope they do something about it.

Bigger battle maps so it seems, great

I suspect that the reputedly enormous maps will temper the effect of high unit speed somewhat.
Bigger maps do sound great but let's stop and think what actually happens. Will a larger map have any effect on unit speed? I doubt it and the reason is the deployment zone. RTW maps were large but a lot of the visible map was outside that horrible red line and the deployment zones between opposing armies were too close to provide any manoeuvre. If maps are going to be huge, I want to see more useable area and a single deployment zone per side with lots of space between

........Orda

Dutch_guy
05-24-2006, 18:02
Bigger maps do sound great but let's stop and think what actually happens. Will a larger map have any effect on unit speed? I doubt it and the reason is the deployment zone. RTW maps were large but a lot of the visible map was outside that horrible red line and the deployment zones between opposing armies were too close to provide any manoeuvre. If maps are going to be huge, I want to see more useable area and a single deployment zone per side with lots of space between

........Orda

Well that's true, but I got the impression from the poster who visited E3 that the map was huge - as in being able to use it all.

Also, I didn't read anything about a red line anywhere, which is also encouraging.

Other than that I have the same hopes as you, deployement zones need to get bigger, the red line needs to go, and you need to be able to manoeuvre your army without hitting the enemy right away.

But as said, these hopes weren't destroyed after reading the E3 report.

:balloon2: