PDA

View Full Version : What M2TW Expansion Do You Want?

The Spartan (Returns)
05-29-2006, 15:19
Id like a R2TW of course thats just my opnion. ALSO NEXT TOTAL WAR GAME

edyzmedieval
05-29-2006, 15:36
R2TW expansion for MTWII? :inquisitive:

And expansion is something based on the original game. It's really weird to have RomeII as an expansion for Medieval TWII.

Subedei
05-29-2006, 15:52
Something like the "Rise of the Mongol Empire" would rule!!!! Or the Ottoman Empire. Byzanz would be cool too...well, we will see, right?!?!?

The Spartan (Returns)
05-29-2006, 16:10
R2TW expansion for MTWII? :inquisitive:

And expansion is something based on the original game. It's really weird to have RomeII as an expansion for Medieval TWII.
how true. i should have also said next total war game too.

The Spartan (Returns)
05-29-2006, 16:12
updated ^ ^
read my first post.

Kralizec
05-29-2006, 16:17
A more in depth campaign map of the eastern mediteranean, where the emphasis lies on the crusader/latin states versus the muslims, versus the Byzantines. Smaller scope, more in-depth detail and more regional specific units. Ooh, and mongols.

:2thumbsup:

Lorenzo_H
05-29-2006, 17:01
I don't really mind, but Rome 2: Total War sounds particularly delicious...

De' Medici
05-29-2006, 17:26
An expansion starting from the High Renaissance lasting until the siege of Viena (1683) or beyond this moment a decade or so. It's a period dominated by conflicts, including the Thirty Years War, and major developments in the battlefield tactics. The New World could be in this expansion another battleground for the European powers.

Furious Mental
05-29-2006, 17:30
I voted for a Napoleonic setting, though I would also be partial to a Viking Invasion. However, my first choice for another game would be one in the medieval time period but set in the far east, incorporating China, Korea, Mongolia, Japan, India, Vietnam etc. (amongst others). One could also have Europeans appear at a late date, Shogun style.

kburkert
05-29-2006, 17:47
I would like to have Viking invasion as an expansion pack because i would like the others to be seperate games.

Masy
05-29-2006, 17:49
Vikings for me, how I miss those 12 bezerkers that annihilated the saxons...

Dutch_guy
05-29-2006, 18:13
Would be nice if they made an expansion which expanded more upon the western side of the map.

Read: South America.

No way they're going to leave out the Aztecs et all in the expansion.

:balloon2:

kataphraktoi
05-29-2006, 19:03
Expansion pack with expanded maps and 100 faction limit :laugh4:

doc_bean
05-29-2006, 19:07
They might do as an expansion :

- a renaissance/conquest of the Americas expansion (most likely, maybe even two expansions, one focusing on Europe
and one on the Americas)
- a dark ages expansion (too overdone already ?)
- a Shogun expansion (too different ?)

No way will they do a compelety different era like Rome or a true gunpowder game. Shogun *might* be a possibility since the basic mechanics are similar (reusable code), the Japan map would be rather small (compared to Europe + Americas) and the factions would be rather similar (less new models, less balancing). However I highly doubt that we will see a Shogun expansion. I believe I'm the first one who suggested such a thing might be feasible and it seems to have caught on with some people, but it was mostly just wishful thinking on my part. An expansion tends to *expand* the original game, and a Shogun expansion would probably just be too different.

As a next game:

-Napoleon: Total War (that's what I would like to see, I think it would be a nice change, the TW formula is wearing a
bit thin for me in its current form)

-Rome 2: Total war (that's honestly what I expect, but I'll probably feel like it will be to soon, especially since RTW never did it for me, but it was the first TW game for a lot of people)

-Something set in Asia (doubtful, not enough mass market appeal)

-Colonization: Total War (I can dream can't I ?)

IrishArmenian
05-29-2006, 19:53
I voted for Viking Invasion. I want the vikings and such. That would be great fun. I think for the next game they could have a Total War set in the Middle East and extends to India. That would be awesome. It would supply a new setting, new troops, a new map, and a whole new strategy to the game. India's war Elephants, Clavary Archers everywhere, cities' crops depending on the monsoons of the Indus Valley. That would be awesome. I am also throughly opposed to gun powder. I just don't like it. It ruins the up-clos-and-personal Total War battles I have come to know and love.

A.Saturnus
05-29-2006, 20:16
A more in depth campaign map of the eastern mediteranean, where the emphasis lies on the crusader/latin states versus the muslims, versus the Byzantines. Smaller scope, more in-depth detail and more regional specific units. Ooh, and mongols.

:2thumbsup:

I think that's a great idea.

Ibn Munqidh
05-29-2006, 21:00
I would like to see something related to the muslims next time. Their history provides a great setting for the total war engine, with constant expansion, militarism, civil wars, rebellions, crusades, jihads.

Anyways, I voted for napoleonic, best choice there is.:balloon2:

Zalmoxis
05-29-2006, 21:48
I think the time period would be better suited for an Ottoman Invasion than anything else.

ivoignob
05-30-2006, 00:06
I think the time period would be better suited for an Ottoman Invasion than anything else.

I second this. The Ottoman expansion in Anatolia and the Balkan would be a nice expansion pack. The idea of a setting in the middle-east, containing the war between crusaders and muslims is a nice idea, too. Viking Invasion was great, but I'm not sure if I would like to see it again... I want something different now...

Leet Eriksson
05-30-2006, 01:36
The end game setting leads me to believe the expansion will be about the reniassance period, with an expanded americas map that will include north america and more american factions, ending up with the war of independence probably.

Who knows though, RTW got 2 expansions, so i'm betting on a dark ages expansion as well.

t1master
05-30-2006, 01:41
an expansion where the mp works, and the armies and gameplay are balanced..... :balloon2:

Zenicetus
05-30-2006, 04:40
Fooey... I voted anything as long as no gunpowder.

Three of these choices (Rome2, Shogun2, Napoleonic) are NOT going to happen as an expansion. Those are full games. So the poll is a bit silly (IMO). And it leaves out what I think is the most logical expansion pack: Pirates of the Caribbean!

Seriously... if you have a foothold in the Americas, then why not an expansion pack that extends the game into the next colonial period in that area? It's ideal because you'd still need to hold your territories in Europe, as well as compete economically and militarily in the Americas. Of course the ship combat would suck, unless they really start working on a tactical sea combat engine.

Zalmoxis
05-30-2006, 07:10
The end game setting leads me to believe the expansion will be about the reniassance period, with an expanded americas map that will include north america and more american factions, ending up with the war of independence probably.

Who knows though, RTW got 2 expansions, so i'm betting on a dark ages expansion as well.
Maybe a Conquistador Invasion, where you are opposing the Spaniards.

sunsmountain
05-30-2006, 08:57
They'll probably save their content and put it in their revolutionary path instead, but it would be great to add STW2 as an expansion to MTW2. For $30? Unlikely, but still, would be nice ~:)

Mooks
05-30-2006, 11:38
No no no. People, CRUSADER:total war.

Based on the latin states in the east.

DukeofSerbia
05-30-2006, 12:08
"I dont care as long as it has gunpowder in it"

I voted for this.

TB666
05-30-2006, 12:18
A renaissance exp.pack would be a nice choice IMO.:2thumbsup:

Tiberius maximus
05-30-2006, 14:30
Vikings for me, how I miss those 12 bezerkers that annihilated the saxons...

i have to admit i like the barbarians in the viking expansion and with the new engine it would be extremely awesome to see hordes of vikings,irish,saxons and more storm the fields of Britain!:2thumbsup:

Kralizec
05-30-2006, 15:10
I think that's a great idea.

Thanks, I also think that ideally the expansion would differentiate between Shia and Sunni muslims. It would be more interesting, not to mention much more historicly accurate.

NagatsukaShumi
05-30-2006, 15:15
No no no. People, CRUSADER:total war.

Based on the latin states in the east.

No no no Crusader INVASION : Total War, can't forget that important word :laugh4:

Vladimir
05-30-2006, 15:32
Total War:The Rise of Islam. I have always wanted to see this played out. It’s just a perfect setting: Byzantium is on the verge of reforming the empire, the de facto Western Empire has fallen but the de jure Empire remains. Although I’m no fan of Roman and Byzantine style politics I would like to try to react against the lighting fast spread of Islam and reform the Byzantine army/government. It was the rise of Islam which closed the Mediterranean to all but a few Italian merchant states and plunged Europe into the Dark ages. As Byzantium you’d have to watch while your non-core states brake away and Musulman fleets threaten your capitol. After all, how long did it take Europe to push back the tide in Iberia? It’s just too exciting: fast paced invasion, a weakened Byzantium, the upstart monarchies in Europe, all before the Church acquired the dominance we see in the Medieval period.

If CA doesn’t make this expansion I would love to help create it. I’m sure our neglected Total Warriors in Eastern Europe and Muslim states would appreciate it as well.

sunsmountain
05-30-2006, 17:01
Vladimir, you mean you would like to play Rome:TW: Barbarian Invasion? If i'm not mistaking, you can play as the Eastern Romans and fight the Sassanid Empire!

That's before the church takes control of europe, as we will have the pope again in MTW2. An expansion pack isn't going to remove the pope, and if it is, well... perhaps. RTW graphics can use a an upgrade as well of course, but i think you will agree Shogun graphics need it more! ~:)

Ibn Munqidh
05-30-2006, 18:48
For the rise of Islam: total war, I have the perfect idea. The great Ummayad Empire, much larger and powerful than the Romans ever were, but only survived 92 years, constant internal strife and dissidence being the main factor.

magnum
05-30-2006, 19:10
Hoping not to see Viking Invasion as the expansion. While I enjoyed the original VI, it just seems to limited in scope and variety to interest me enough to fork over cash for a second version of it.

I'd prefer to see a Dark Ages and/or Islam Expansion. CA might possibly be able to combine them depending on the number of factions required. Probably be more realistic to not combine them in terms of game design. In that case either would be interesting to me.

As far as the next TW? Since the redesign the basic game engine every other TW (which means the next TW would be from scratch.) I think this would be the perfect time to introduce the Total War series to gunpowder combat. Can't think of a better time period to do that then the Napoleonic Wars. Lots of other conflics during that time period which could be used for an expansion.

Of course if CA really really doesn't want to play with gunpowder for the next TW, then something around the Seven Kingdoms time frame (i.e. China) would be interesting I think. Seven Kingdoms would be my second choice though. Napoleonic would be my prefered. :2thumbsup:

Ibn Munqidh
05-30-2006, 20:23
I'd prefer to see a Dark Ages and/or Islam Expansion. CA might possibly be able to combine them depending on the number of factions required. Probably be more realistic to not combine them in terms of game design. In that case either would be interesting to me.

The arab expansions occured during the time of the dark ages of europe. so that would fit in nicely as an expansion. I just hope I do not see another VI expansion. CA HEAR US!

The Spartan (Returns)
05-30-2006, 20:34
Fooey... I voted anything as long as no gunpowder.

Three of these choices (Rome2, Shogun2, Napoleonic) are NOT going to happen as an expansion. Those are full games. So the poll is a bit silly (IMO). And it leaves out what I think is the most logical expansion pack: Pirates of the Caribbean!

Seriously... if you have a foothold in the Americas, then why not an expansion pack that extends the game into the next colonial period in that area? It's ideal because you'd still need to hold your territories in Europe, as well as compete economically and militarily in the Americas. Of course the ship combat would suck, unless they really start working on a tactical sea combat engine.
if you chosen Rome2 or Shogun2 then it counts as a full game. read the first post of this thread. (mine)

B-Wing
05-30-2006, 21:00
Without reading the other replies, I'd like to see an expansion set during the Viking Age, but not limited to the British Isles. Rather, it would be like RTW's BI, which used the same map as the normal campaign, but had different factions and region boundaries. A unified Viking faction, while terribly unrealistic, would be tons of fun. Magyars would also be a must.

AwesomeArcher
05-30-2006, 21:08
Yes, i think STW 2 would be a good game, i assume you got the idea from my thread? With all the new technology from MTW and RTW, Shogun would be awesome.

scorillo
05-30-2006, 21:37
I want Rome 2 because I will love to see different armour and uniforms at the same unit type and blooded ones at those who fight
Not to mention the different AI and diplomacy that will be in MT2....i want that in RTw2

AwesomeArcher
05-31-2006, 04:12
I want Rome 2 because I will love to see different armour and uniforms at the same unit type and blooded ones at those who fight
Not to mention the different AI and diplomacy that will be in MT2....i want that in RTw2

It would be kind of cool yes, but why would you remake a whole game and not change the unit types, perhaps a mod would be better for a RTW 2? You could have all of your different armour and uniforms, and you could mod the diplomacy a bit.

Vladimir
05-31-2006, 12:35
Vladimir, you mean you would like to play Rome:TW: Barbarian Invasion? If i'm not mistaking, you can play as the Eastern Romans and fight the Sassanid Empire!

That's before the church takes control of europe, as we will have the pope again in MTW2. An expansion pack isn't going to remove the pope, and if it is, well... perhaps. RTW graphics can use a an upgrade as well of course, but i think you will agree Shogun graphics need it more! ~:)

No, not quite, in less the expansion begins at 600 A.D. and ends before 1000. My understanding of BI is that it concerns the Huns and various other invaders that threatened the old order and feasted upon a dying Rome.

B-Wing
05-31-2006, 17:15
No, not quite, in less the expansion begins at 600 A.D. and ends before 1000. My understanding of BI is that it concerns the Huns and various other invaders that threatened the old order and feasted upon a dying Rome.

You are correct. BI features three religions: paganism, Christianity, and Zoraostaism (probably misspelt). No Islam. It starts sometime in the 300's A.D.

I like the idea of an expansion pack set during that time period (Islam's rise). I wonder if it would be necessary to enlarge the map to include more of the Arabian peninsula. Kind of hard to imagine an expansion focused around the spread of Islam without Mecca or at least Medina.

I'd still really like to see a grand campaign (that is, full map, not limited to a smaller region) that starts during the Viking Age, too .

Mount Suribachi
05-31-2006, 18:17
No no no Crusader INVASION : Total War, can't forget that important word :laugh4:

MTW was originally called Crusader: Total War, but the name was considered too politically incorrect and was changed to Medieval.

For an expansion I would like to see Reformation: Total War.

For the next full game it simpy has to be Napoleonic: Total War :2thumbsup:

Martok
06-01-2006, 03:13
Hey, where's the "GAH!" option?? [mock sigh]

Well minus that, I voted for "I dont care as long as it has no gunpowder in it." With the exception of mortar and cannons for siege battles, I don't think firearms lend themselves very well to the TW style of gaming. As a separate game, I would love to see Shogun 2. Not sure what I'd want in an expansion, although The Rise of Islam sounds kind of cool. :2thumbsup:

Avicenna
06-01-2006, 10:26
Hmm, what options are there?

So far, the trend is:
= Major power attacks, seemingly unstoppable
= Set after the original timeframe
= NEW FACTION(S) are the threat

So, let's see the current suggestions.
= Crusaders:
- Those factions are already in the game
- Crusaders most definitely were stoppable
- Doesn't the game begin at the crusading era?
= Islam
- Started spreading before M2TW
- Are already in the game
= Dark Ages
- No unstoppable power really
- The hordes that started the Dark Age were unstoppable, and are already represented in Barbarian Invasion.
- Set before the original
= Some kind of gunpowder era
- Guns just don't work that well with TW does it?
- It's way back from the TW era
- Blitzes would be too easy since transportation would be easier and it'd be more advanced
= America (My Idea)
- Set after the original era [tick]
- New faction [tick]
- Sadly, not exactly unstoppable [cross]

Kralizec
06-01-2006, 22:13
= Dark Ages
- No unstoppable power really
- The hordes that started the Dark Age were unstoppable, and are already represented in Barbarian Invasion.

A dark age expansion would probably center around the islamic conquests. The problem I see is that the only other viable faction I can think of is the Frankish kingdom. If Karl Martel didn't beat the Moors at Poitiers, the muslims would have overrun Europe because there was no other power that could possibly stop them.

ivoignob
06-01-2006, 22:56
Hmm, what options are there?

So far, the trend is:
= Major power attacks, seemingly unstoppable
= Set after the original timeframe
= NEW FACTION(S) are the threat[cross]

Actually Viking Invasion was set before the original time frame. Thus a rise of islam expanison is considerable.

Zalmoxis
06-02-2006, 03:15
They would probably try to name it like the other expansions, so keep it with a creative Invasion at the end of a name. EX: Ummayadan Invasion, Islamic Invasion, etc.

Ibn Munqidh
06-02-2006, 12:54
I would hope to see a CA member contribute to this thread.

I personally see that european based expansions have been concentrated on alot, and shogun is an entirely new game, not an expansion, I would like to see the middle east focused upon abit, in an expansion called "Rise of Islam", or "Arabian Conquests" or "Ummayad Empire".

doc_bean
06-02-2006, 13:44
They would probably try to name it like the other expansions, so keep it with a creative Invasion at the end of a name. EX: Ummayadan Invasion, Islamic Invasion, etc.

I honestly don't see them doing an Islam Invasion considering the sensitivity about anything Islam in Europe these days. I even doubt they'd go for Ottoman invasion. My money is still on American Invasion.

ivoignob
06-02-2006, 22:29
The territory expanding of the ottomans wasn't exactly an "invasion" by the way. Invasions left ruins behind them, ottomans didn't. The same counts for islam.

The Spartan (Returns)
06-02-2006, 23:06
for an expansion id like a M2:TW VI2

Ibn Munqidh
06-02-2006, 23:07
The idea of expanding the "range" of the expansion makes for a better game I think. Something like VI:TW, would only focus on scandinavia, the british isles, and probably northern france. Ottoman Invasion would only focus on Anatolia, and Southern/Eastern Europe.

However, something like Umayyad Empire:TW, or Napoleonic:TW, would focus on the entire area around the meditteranean, and that would make for a better game all in all.

Zalmoxis
06-03-2006, 01:40
The territory expanding of the ottomans wasn't exactly an "invasion" by the way. Invasions left ruins behind them, ottomans didn't. The same counts for islam.
I was gonna say something like that about the Islamic one, but I got lazy, sorry.

BHCWarman88
06-03-2006, 03:48
30 Year War..

Divine Wind
06-03-2006, 03:53
If they made a couple of expansions, and Shogun 2 was included, my father and I, would be very content indeed.

Alim
06-03-2006, 19:56
Umayyad Invasion would be great. Or perhaps we could have MTW2:Mongol Invasion 2? An expasion that would deal with Mongol invasion under Ghengis Khan of China, Persia, India etc.

Ibn Munqidh
06-03-2006, 21:19
If they made a couple of expansions, and Shogun 2 was included, my father and I, would be very content indeed.

If there is to be Shogun 2, it should be a new game, not an expansion, as the setting and date differs alot from the potential mother game, MTW2

AwesomeArcher
06-04-2006, 05:20
If there is to be Shogun 2, it should be a new game, not an expansion, as the setting and date differs alot from the potential mother game, MTW2

yea, the original could be improved so much. A shogun 2 would be awesome with all the new graphics and engines.

Dooz
06-04-2006, 19:41
I think the only logical expansion would be the Americas: Total War. Pretty much picking up where the discovery of the new world in the original campaign leaves off. More colonial units and such, playing in a map of the American continents. Yep... that'd be pretty nice...

I would love to see a Rome 2 though, although that's probably better left for the modders.

Mooks
06-04-2006, 20:56
Latin states/ and or a byzatine map.

JR-
06-05-2006, 22:36
one thing

the east, i.e. asia inc japan

Patriarch of Constantinople
06-16-2006, 04:33
RTW and BI covered the history of Rome. I dont know what they could do with a RTW2. I would actually like to see a whole new TW game. Maybe Mongolia:Total War or China:Total War

Martok
06-16-2006, 22:42
RTW and BI covered the history of Rome. I dont know what they could do with a RTW2. I would actually like to see a whole new TW game. Maybe Mongolia:Total War or China:Total War
I still really dig the idea of China Total War, set in the Spring & Autumn period. ~:)

Perplexed
06-17-2006, 05:28
Has anyone ever thought of "Muslim Invasion", an expansion which would chronicle the Moorish conquest of the Iberian peninsula. That would be a fresh and new experience (to me at least). Perhaps instead of the barbarians invading and crushing the civilized world it could be the other way around.

*edit*
Looking over the thread I realize that the idea has been touched upon. Sorry.

Patriarch of Constantinople
06-18-2006, 04:14
Dont the Almohads in MTW cover the muslim invasion of Spain?

Perplexed
06-18-2006, 05:37
No, the time period of MTW covers the gradual expulsion of Islam from the Iberian Peninsula. By that time, the balance of power in Spain lay increasingly with the northern Visigothic States, who eventually expelled the Muslims in the 15th century. The Moors actually invaded (colonized might be a better word) the Iberian peninsula during the Dark Ages, a little earlier than the period of Viking raids in northern Europe, and were extremely successful, putting almost all of the peninsula under Muslim rule. They reached as far as extreme southern France, but were halted at the Battle of Tours by the Frankish duke Charles Martel. It's an immensely important event in European history, a pivotal battle; things wouldn't be the same today if "the Hammer" had been defeated.

barocca
06-18-2006, 06:27
SHOGUN
http://www.totalwar.org/barocca/mod_images/ncav113.jpg
B.

Archayon
06-18-2006, 09:27
not VI2: it would be far too predictible...

S2TW: could be nice to get polished

also some expansion about the crusader states would be nice
with an expanded middle east territory
it's still medieval after all ...

:idea2: Arch

Dimeola
06-19-2006, 05:25
STW.....make the map big....the turns cover less time.....add the possibility of a Korean campaign, Mongols of course.....
...what I would love to see is not just waltzing into a province, win a battle, seige a castle...and you take the province. But with a lrger map and shorter turns there will be more strategy involved......like maybe taking a series of castles in order to assault the main castle.....anyway there is such potential........
...yea and WHY dont they EVER include a modders kit with their games. They know you guys are gonna mod it, and they SHOULD love that, because it extends the playability of their product. Has anyone ever approached them about it?
dim

PROMETHEUS
06-26-2006, 09:11
I would say the European Invasion , It would be cool to have a more detailed setting for Europeans when they invade the New World , so more local factions and all the colonial factions from Europe......

Vladimir
06-29-2006, 13:12
Ok, finally found this on the official site:

476 AD

The last Roman Emperor in the West, Romulus Augustulus, is deposed and allowed to retire to his estate because he isn't important enough to murder. This formally marks the Fall of the Roman Empire, even though the Eastern Empire lasts nearly a thousand years longer. So starts the period that is often referred to as the "Dark Ages". Rome Total War™ - Barbarian Invasion nominally ends in this year.

Not having BI I did not know when the game ended so when someone responded to my suggestion about a Rise of Islam Total War, that this had already been covered in BI, I didn't know how to respond. I think a good ~400 year (or 200 turn, whatever) expansion from ~600 - ~1,000 A.D. would be a great idea.

Do most of the people here want a gunpowder expansion? Having a game based on gunpowder (as opposed to leading to) seems contrary to the Total War philosophy. What are your thoughts against this proposal? MTW went backwards and north to the Isles, why can’t M2 go back and south?

Kambyses
06-29-2006, 20:49
Hello;
IMO Napoleanic:TOTAL WAR should be the next total war game ,and after that ROME 2:TOTAL WAR.

About M2:TW expansion ,Rise of Islam:Total War is good idea.As an Iranian would like to fight off the invasion of those nomadic Arabs invader into my country and get Sassanid empire back to power again.~;) However this subject contains the same factions and map in BI.I preffer a new subject with new factions and new map.Somthing like Rise of Persia.

Cheers
-Kambiz

Vladimir
06-30-2006, 23:21
Well the Napoleonic era is one of the most exciting times in European history. My biggest problem with later ear epochs is the global colonial aspect. If they can make a Total War game on the scale of Europa Universalis, I would be much happier.

OT: You’re from Iran? Cool! I hope things cool down between our two countries as I’ve always been fascinated by your history.

Kambyses
07-01-2006, 08:24
I hope so Vladimir ,But Where are you from?

Fwapper
07-05-2006, 12:42
Well it's not like CA to do a bad expansion pack... (ignores people who brought ATW) ....so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Alien_Tortoise2345
07-05-2006, 16:54
Maybe something to do with the wars of the Reformation period (The Reformation started in 1517 yet I haven't heard of Protestantism featuring in Medieval II. Does it come up later in the game?), or Voyages of Discovery other than South America e.g. Magellan, Prince Henry the Navigator. Also I would extend the map to include more of Africa and most of the Asian coast. Remember that the Portuguese and Spanish empires began in the 1400's and included Cape Verde, the Spice Islands (Indonesia), Phillipines etc. Maybe call it "Conquistadors - Total War".

Dead Knight of the Living
07-07-2006, 21:09
I would like to see an expansion entitled (drumroll) VIENNA: TOTAL WAR

Lemme break it down for you.

This expansion would have two start points.

Long campaign would begin on the eve of the Battle of Mohacs in 1526. The Turks are expanding into Europe hot and heavy. There's the threat of a second Mongol invasion. Russia is just coming into their own. Poland (yes Poland) is one of the strongest military powers in Europe. We can get a little 30 years War action and see the beginning of the Great Northern War that will launch Russia as a majuh playuh. And the Hapsburgs gain influence and power every year.

This campaign would end in with the Treaty of Szatmár (1711) when Hungary is incorporated in with the Austrian Empire. or 1721 when the Great Northern War ends. You all vote on it.

Short Campaign.

Start 1683 just prior to the beginning of the Siege of Vienna and end in 1711 or 1721.

Again, you all vote on it or make modifications or tell me I'm crazy.

Salazar
07-07-2006, 21:34
Renaissace Europe (especially 30 Years War), though i wonder how they'd call it, protestant invasion or what? :laugh4:

The Wizard
07-07-2006, 23:10
Every expansion up until now was an Invasion, so I'm expecting a Turkish Invasion. In other words:

This expansion would have two start points.

Long campaign would begin on the eve of the Battle of Mohacs in 1526. The Turks are expanding into Europe hot and heavy. There's the threat of a second Mongol invasion. Russia is just coming into their own. Poland (yes Poland) is one of the strongest military powers in Europe. We can get a little 30 years War action and see the beginning of the Great Northern War that will launch Russia as a majuh playuh. And the Hapsburgs gain influence and power every year.

This campaign would end in with the Treaty of Szatmár (1711) when Hungary is incorporated in with the Austrian Empire. or 1721 when the Great Northern War ends. You all vote on it.

Short Campaign.

Start 1683 just prior to the beginning of the Siege of Vienna and end in 1711 or 1721.

Great idea. ~:)

Asean
07-08-2006, 01:56
Mongol: Total War is PERFECT! The mod could be Mongol based, but include factions from all over Asia, the Middle East and Eastern Europe. The map should extend from France to Japan, from Siberia to Sri Lanka and from Baghdad to Vietnam.

Alien_Tortoise2345
07-09-2006, 21:27
I don't agree with those calling for a Rome2 TW. I think Medieval II is being created primarily because the old graphical engine couldn't really do the period justice the way the post-Rome engine can. I think the Rome-engine itself is fine, but await the Medieval II one with bated breathe from watching the movie files and screenshots. I suppose it could be argued that there is a fairly long period between the ending of Rome around 27 AD and 378 where BI starts. This is true, but is there really much that needs to cover this period that a mod couldn't do - and not necessarily a very complicated one?

On the idea of Viking Invasion II that might be interesting and an ideal context in which to introduce the longed for real-time naval battles. I'm curious to know how this plays in Rise and Fall:Civilisations at War. I am very disappointed in CA for the absence of this exciting element from Medieval II. However I still stand by my preference for a Renaissance Expansion.

AquaLurker
07-09-2006, 22:00
Probably colonial expansion or Ottomon invasion?

Antagonist
07-09-2006, 22:16
If the logic of the previous expansions is anything to go by, I would think that an expanded New World or 16th/17th Century Europe would be the most likely candidates. I really can't see Rome 2 or Napoleon, especially in an expansion.

VI was enjoyable but very limited in scope (and, as I have since come to realise, appalingly historically inaccurate, but nevermind that) but I wouldn't mind a broader depiction of Northern Europe in that timeframe. (I don't think they would do a Dark Age mod set earlier then VI unless it was focused on something like the rise of Islam, otherwise it might as well be a remake of BI) I'd also be surprised if they elected to feature a completely different area (eg Asia)

Pretty much every idea in this thread could work, but I would say a New World colonisation ("European Invasion") or extending the timeline of regular MTW2 to accomodate the religious upheaval, Ottoman expansion etc. are the most likely scenarios. Hell, they could even do both, though that might be too much for an expansion.

Another possibility is that they might further explore the idea of online distribution, especially if Alexander sold well. "Episodic content" is a big buzzword right now, perhaps CA might follow Valve with the idea of several small "expansions" primarily geared towards internet distribution.

There's certainly a lot of possibilities.

Antagonist

hoetje
08-10-2006, 02:01
I honestly don't see them doing an Islam Invasion considering the sensitivity about anything Islam in Europe these days. I even doubt they'd go for Ottoman invasion. My money is still on American Invasion.

think you are right doc bean.It is indeed the most logical to work out the concept of the Americas a bit more .:idea2:

Tristrem
08-10-2006, 02:23
the rise of islam seems to most logical, and is still neglected in the world of total war

DisruptorX
08-10-2006, 06:20
I would like a Total War game focusing on the various Chinese states (any era, really, though around 200 AD would be the best), and surounding kingdoms.

Or a total war game focusing on 1500-1700. Or a Napoleanic Total War.

All three of those would be great. I don't want another rome: total war, the Romans are so boring. -_-

poo_for_brains
08-10-2006, 11:30
I think that the expansion should be, and will be, an expansion of the americas to include far more of south america, and the west indies etc.

For the next full total war game, I really hope it's Napoeonic Total War. It would shake up the TW formula a bit, provide a perfect arena for the introduction of naval battles, and I think it would be a great fun to play.
(Although I have developed this opinion almost solely due to the awesome looking preview shots of NTW2)

GodWillsIt
08-10-2006, 12:47
Something along the lines of an asian expansion...maybe something w/ the temple kingdoms of India??

caravel
08-10-2006, 13:06
What's needed is...

Medieval 2 Total War - The GAH! Invasion...

Guest Starring: ...

Barney the Dinosaur and Elmo ~;p

Kralizec
08-10-2006, 14:21
Mongol: Total War is PERFECT! The mod could be Mongol based, but include factions from all over Asia, the Middle East and Eastern Europe. The map should extend from France to Japan, from Siberia to Sri Lanka and from Baghdad to Vietnam.

As stated before I prefer a crusader orientated expansion, but this one is a good second :2thumbsup:

Midnight
08-10-2006, 14:52
Something in the East. I really don't care for an expanded America campaign, although odds-on that's what they'll do (given the new Aztecs).

JR-
08-10-2006, 16:08
Something like the "Rise of the Mongol Empire" would rule!!!!

agreed.

the east was just as apocalyptically violent as the west during this period.

the best expansion would be to add the east to the westand expand the original game.

hoetje
08-10-2006, 17:14
Then how will napoleonic: total war be?
what will be the size of the campaign map and how many factions will there be?

SpencerH
08-10-2006, 19:04
I voted Napoleonic. Based on RTW, I just doubt they could do it justice (and yes I'll eat these words if MTW2 is a great game).

Faenaris
08-12-2006, 10:20
I would love an Expansion regarding the Moorish invasion of Europe. I know, probably a lack of factions, but still, would be nice. :)

Horatius
08-13-2006, 07:00
Crusader Total War is a good idea, although Mythology Total War would also be a good idea.

Monarch
08-13-2006, 10:19
I'd rather not have gunpowder, thnough I'd still buy the game is it was Napoleonic, and I'd bet the only reason M2TW is the next game and not Napoleonic is they wanted a new engine for Nap. for stuff like navies which where very important etc.

Didn't play Shogun 1 but the era doesn't interest me, plus two sequels in a row would be pretty pathetic from CA, I'd rather see new ideas.

Three Kingdoms China I believe was quite popular when we where speculating what would come out next prior to M2TW release. (not read the whole thread here, probably been discussed here as well) but that seemed quite interesting.

econ21
08-13-2006, 12:05
Didn't play Shogun 1 but the era doesn't interest me...

Of-topic, but have you tried it? The era was not one I tilted towards either, but it has a really immersive atmosphere and nice "chrome". MTW and RTW are a little bland by comparison.

Templar Knight
08-13-2006, 18:45
Medieval 2: The Norman Conquest (Invasion) would be good. It would feature a similar map to Viking Invasion, the British Isles, parts of Scandinavia and northern France. :2thumbsup:

poo_for_brains
08-13-2006, 19:06
I like the Norman conquest idea, but what I reckon will happen will be that there will be two expansions.
The first will be a big one, possibly expanding on the vanilla map (like BI) and that will be a conquistador invasion
The second will be a smaller map (like Alexander or MTW VI) and that might be a norman conquest one.

Of course that's pure speculation

UltraWar
08-13-2006, 20:43
Napoleanic:2 Total War would seem to be the most appropiate expansion pack for M2TW.

Templar Knight
08-13-2006, 20:47
Napoleanic:2 Total War would seem to be the most appropiate expansion pack for M2TW.

I dont see how, they will probably keep to the middle ages, as that is the title of the game. Why would they jump from 1530 to the late eighteenth century? The Napoleonic Wars may well be the next Total War game.

sbroadbent
08-17-2006, 15:01
Didn't play Shogun 1 but the era doesn't interest me, plus two sequels in a row would be pretty pathetic from CA, I'd rather see new ideas.

Three Kingdoms China I believe was quite popular when we where speculating what would come out next prior to M2TW release. (not read the whole thread here, probably been discussed here as well) but that seemed quite interesting.

I briefly played STW, and thought some parts were interesting. Didn't play much more than a campaign because it (for obvious reasons) felt less complex than MTW. VI also felt like that a bit, though maybe it was because there wasn't some important authority such as the Pope you had to be worried about. With that said, Religion was also not as important.

I'm also a big supporter for Three Kingdoms: Total War, and if you haven't read the whole thread, I noted maybe one or two mentions. Most want NTW, but I'm expecting the expansion to take us further into North America. I figure the expansion will be similar to VI. We'll get a more indepth map of the americas, and the Spanish would take the place of the Vikings, with the various factions fighting amongst themselves and defending against the invading Conquistadors.

This of course would make the most sense, though I did vote for VI2, partially because one of my favorite things about VI was the music, and I want to hear more of it :D

Vuk
08-17-2006, 15:40
Am I the only one who want Balkans: Total War, or Byzantine: Total War.
There is so much that could be done with Byzantine: Total War. The Byzantine period is the most interesting in history, and the game could really get into the Byzantine politics and intrigue. Militarily, the Byzantines and surrounding peoples are some of the most interesting and amazing in the world. (Think greek fire).

Viva La Byzantium

GodWillsIt
08-17-2006, 18:01
An Asian Expansion and a Crusader Expansion...you all know there is going to be two expansions.:2thumbsup: I wouldn't be against an expansion from 1530on either.

JR-
08-31-2006, 11:26
agreed.

the east was just as apocalyptically violent as the west during this period.

the best expansion would be to add the east to the westand expand the original game.
::edit::

I would like two things:

1) eastward expansion of the main game to include the eastern empires/powerful nations.
2) ability for some western european nations to force protestant reformation from ~ 1450AD onward.

Mithradates
08-31-2006, 11:54
Although the chances of STW2 are slim the new combat system would be amazing for the era. I mean samurai combat with combos and such would be amazing!

hoetje
08-31-2006, 13:40
Although the chances of STW2 are slim the new combat system would be amazing for the era. I mean samurai combat with combos and such would be amazing!

Well maybe they will make a s2tw but it won't be as an expansion I think.
It will be a full game imo.

Orb
08-31-2006, 13:47
MT2W - Arabic empires...

Campaign centred on the Arab world... and Makuria... with crusaders as hordes...

Damn, I may as well make a mod for this :P
If my PC is compatible

Ringeck
08-31-2006, 14:06
I think we can safely assumed that the expansion is either going to include a new, smaller map or use the old map but in a different time period. Thus, an Eurasian-wide campaign map is going to have to be reserved for the next TW installment, and my guess is that it isn't going to happen. After all, good old Ghengis Khan 2 got so very, very boring after a while - with a super-simple strategic mode and an equally simple tactical battle mode, which cut down on time.

So my guess is either a new Viking Invasion or an American Invasion on a small Central/South American map - but I still regard that as unlikely, as that's going to mean only two european factions at the most. Perhaps they'll do something novel and use 15th-16th century Italy for a "French and Spanish Invasion". A continent-wide Arab/Viking/Magyar Invasion would also be fun, but the expansion of islam is going to be very oddly modeled if they don't expand the map to include all of Persia and India plus the arabian peninsula - which I don't think is going to happen.

highlanddave
08-31-2006, 18:17
i think gunpowder ages like napoleonic wars really need a new game engine so i do not think they will go that way. i think either of 2 directions sound the most appropriate for the company.

one way is the further expansion of european power in the americas. they could represent europe more as just a staging ground for troops rather than a battle ground and place the map emphasis on the americas.

the second plausible way is to go a little further back in time similar to viking but not do the same thing. one possibility in charlemagnes empire which is a similar timeframe as viking. maybe give a few factions other than the franks the opportunity to become the revived empire and get the pope to crown them emperor.

i like several ideas put forward but i do not think the company will go that way. ideas like byzantine empire or crusades would not appeal to a wide enough audience. i would like just iberia and have a more in depth battle between various moorish princes and the catholics of aragon, castile, leon and portugal. still i don't think they will concentrate a map like that. most of these type ideas would be great for the modder community though.

Bakma
08-31-2006, 18:29
An x-pack with a bigger map.

You can also see central asia and maybe south east and east asia.

playable civs like Timurids, Safavids, Moghuls, Khmer and china? Korea? Japan?

Spino
08-31-2006, 22:14
I definitely do NOT want a return to the Viking Invasion style exp pack with its smaller campaign map and whatnot.

My vote is for...

Medieval 2: DARK AGES - Have the game pick up a few hundred years after the Barbarian Invasions exp pack left off. Cover the spread of Islam and the expansion of Arab and Berber culture during the 8th & 9th century. Reintroduce the Horde feature for some of the central & eastern European and Asian factions. Franks, Vikings, Khazars, Avars, Abbasids, Umayyads, Bulgars, Saxons, etc.

The Lord of Dance
08-31-2006, 22:38
My speculation of an expansion pack for Medieval 2 would probably be one the Rennasaince or the Christian Reformation. This would include lots of Gunpowder troops.
Or they could keep it Medieval and keep to the Invasion Name "Mongol Invasion" or "Muslim Invasion" could work... although the latter would probably be controversial seeing the title name haha.

They coul also go back to the Crusades era and zoom in on that part of the map and make it the focus. Kinda hard to speculate when the first game isnt even out yet.

Bioximo
09-03-2006, 18:48
I dont like to see an expansion like napoleonic or something under the name of Medieval2: Total War. :no: I'm sure these ideas suitable for modders. I expect medieval subjects more than these not related ones. But, i can only noticed Viking Invasion. And Ottoman, Mongol ideas are cool. :2thumbsup: I voted for less gunpowder expansion.. ~:thumb:

JR-
09-04-2006, 08:05
agreed.

screwtype
09-04-2006, 08:18
Where is the GAH! option?

That's my pick ~:)

cannon_fodder
09-04-2006, 10:25
I picked Shogun II. Although it's mostly unrelated (apart from a similar timeframe) from the main game, it's of limited enough scope to be practical for an expansion pack. Shogun is my favourite TW game, and I'd like to play it with some of the later series enhancements. And we probably wouldn't have to suffer from poor balancing.

I would hate it if they did the Vikings again, or anything Napoleanic.

luo bin
09-07-2006, 15:43
For an addon my vote is for something specific...i want to see something like a civil war.....for example the english civil war and see lots of small battles for places such as roads, mansions, villlages and farms...then all those could influence the rest of the campaign such as your resources. something really detailed and make it so that you are fighting more than just for a city, make it so that you are in a civil war and fightring for every ince of your beloved homeland...whatever that may be....its a slightly new direction but keeps the sprit well.

For a sequel...hmm....shogun II would be great, as would be something a little mythical.....perhaps a fantasy direction....

Just a thought...

Solon of Athens
09-07-2006, 18:12
Personally as a few others have mentioned, I would love a Mongol invasion Expansion Pack, imagine hording as the Mongols are ripping through Europe...

Ulstan
09-07-2006, 21:23
The wars of the reformation could be interesting - 1500 on for about 100 years or so.

The english and french mixing it up with each other and the hapsburgs, the hapsburgs uniting and holding onto their empire, huge ottoman invasions towards vienna, the poor hungarians trying to hold out against them, the entire med situation with ottoman pirates running rampant, the knights of saint john, the genoese, hapbsburgs, french, papacy, and vienna all fighting each other or banding together against the ottomans alternately, etc.

Ottomans would definitely be the powerhouse here :) So call it 'ottoman invasion' but every power would have a lot they could do. Lets not forget the emerging protestant factions in germany and the religious wars they caused.

DUTCH-BUDDHA
09-08-2006, 16:33
and a cane multiply campaign options and rome for m2tw

blahblahblah
09-11-2006, 01:53
China: Total War as the next game of this TW series

Don't care about the expansion.