PDA

View Full Version : Dual keyboard

Powermonger
05-30-2006, 09:15
Is anyone aware of any company that manufactures a dual keyboard setup? What I mean by this is two keyboards joined together and sharing the same casing. I have a dual PC setup with each having their own keyboard and mouse, I was thinking it would be good to have a command console like setup to save a little deskspace but can't seem to find anything of this nature.

Lemur
05-30-2006, 15:09
You could always use a KVM switch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch), which would save you even more deskspace, assuming I'm understanding your question.

R'as al Ghul
05-30-2006, 15:23
Is anyone as mad as me, with two Keyboards on the same machine?
:smash:

C-F
05-30-2006, 22:42
As Lemur stated, KVM-switches are the 'spacesavers' - here is one from Cyberguys:

for two computers (http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=4720)

They are a decent outfit in my experience :2thumbsup:

Powermonger
05-31-2006, 00:32
The way I use my PCs using a KVM switch would be more of a hinderance as I like to work on both concurrently. I mainly use one PC to play games or use applications on and the other for surfing the net and writing emails. Switching back and forth gets a bit annoying.

I suppose I should've reframed my original query better, what I really meant to say is a less messy desk. Two keyboards looks a bit messy and crowded. I thought a long bowed keyboard case with two sets of keys would look neater. It be almost like a Star Trek console on the Enterprise :D

Papewaio
05-31-2006, 01:49
A KVM switch is much neater setup and you can use a quick couple of key strokes to switch machines. One of the guys here has over 4 machines on his desk (plus Terminal Server apps) that he swaps very quickly between.

A Dual Keyboard... on the other hand I have 2 PCs on my desk, one a dual monitor the other a 19" LCD, and a laptop. I use separate keyboards and mouse... I do see the benefit of a single joined keyboard... you probably could mod your own with a little bit of ease.

Powermonger
05-31-2006, 08:52
I'll have a look around more. You would think that the need for multiple systems in companies, especially those that deal with financial markets (dealing rooms etc) there would be a market for such a device. I know at my last work where our dealers and other assorted trading staff had multiple PC systems, they certainly could've done with such a keyboard setup instead of having keyboards and mice all over the place.