PDA

View Full Version : Hardware/ Software Questions

Ibn Munqidh
06-02-2006, 13:23
Hi,

I have two, one software, one hardware questions. First, can I install RTW vanilla, then apply the 1.5 patch straight away, without having to download and install every older patch?

Second question, as Im gearing up for MTW2, I felt i had a low RAM, only 1024 (512x2). I was considering of replacing that with 2048 (1 gigX2), for the dual channel thing (works better Ive heard). A computer engineer told me, that you can keep the chips you've already got, the 512's, and add the 1gigs' onto them, you will have four chips, total of 3072mb RAM, all working dual channel, is that correct, or is he just talking rubbish? I was really interested in this combo, but decided to ask first.

Thanks

orangat
06-02-2006, 14:39
You need to apply the 1.3 patch first, then 1.5.
Unless you already having trouble with memory, wait until MTW2 comes out.

Only socket 939 boards can run dual channel, you can run dual channel with 4x512 but your ram speed will drop to 333 if you have the older winchester core.

Ibn Munqidh
06-02-2006, 18:15
I heard that every board can run dual channel RAM, my mother board is the nForce 4, does that support dual channel RAM. The technician said that he will fix the chips in this order 1gig-512-1gig-512, and that order would somehow keep the dual channel attribute to the system. I really do not have deep info on this subject.

LeftEyeNine
06-02-2006, 18:29
That's possible, Ibn Munqidh. In fact it is all of a correct insertion of RAM modules. The RAM sockets are (on Dual DDR-supporting MoBo's), say, one blue one red another blue and another red (colors may vary). So if you insert two 1 GB modules into one pair of red-blue sockets and the 512s into the remaining pair of red-blue sockets, you'll get your memory bandwith doubled compared to the state if Dual DDR was not taken care of. ~:)

Ibn Munqidh
06-02-2006, 19:27
Thanks alot, LeftEyeNine. I guess this was the same idea that that technician was trying to put in my mind, but I guess I cant understand "their" language....:laugh4: