PDA

View Full Version : PBEM: in-house Rules

UltraWar
06-05-2006, 19:56
The following is a copy from Myrddraal's Readme:

"PBeM: Play by mail games are games, of any type, played through postal mail or e-mail. One example, chess, has been played by mail for centuries (when played in this way, it is known as correspondence chess)."

"Hotseat or hot seat is a multiplayer mode provided by some computer games and video games (usually turn-based games), which allows two or more players to play on the same computer using the same single set of input devices (e.g. mouse and keyboard), by taking turns using the input devices."
- Wikipedia

Yes this is a multiplayer mod for Rome - Total war

... Section cut out ...

How to play

To start the game
The first player must start a normal campaign. On starting the campaign, you must run the script.

Playing your turn

To start your turn, load the quicksave file sent to you by the last player.
Each player must run the script at the start of every turn.

To do this:
Press F1
The shortcuts scroll will appear
Press the (?) button in the top right hand corner of the scroll which appears
The Advisor will appear giving you advice on the scroll, ignore this, and press the Show me how button.The script will then be running, you can close the advisor and the scroll.
Play your turn as you like. I advise you to make it a rule to auto-resolve all battles as playing them will give you an unfair advantage over the opponent, who will be controlled by the AI.

End your turn as you normally would.

At the end of your turn, your screen will lock, the UI will be hidden and a message will appear saying "save successful".

1. If you are playing Hot Seat (several players on one computer)
Press CTRL + L

The next player should wait for the game to load, then start his/her turn by running the script...1. If you are playing Play by Email Multiplayer
Quit the game and send the Quicksave.sav file found in C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\saves to the next player
The next player should load this file and start his/her turn by running the script...

Notes:

Potential Problems
The script included here is fully functional and will allow you to play MP. However, there are a couple of uncertain points. This mod was never fully completed and there hasn't been any testing on certain aspects of the game. Therefore, watch out for these areas when playing, and if you find some odd behavior, please report it back here.

1. Messages and Annoucements

Usually at the start of your turn, a series of messages and announcements will slide down the left hand side of the screen (announcing births, plagues etc).
Unfortunately because of the way this script works, this has been disabled.

The effect of this on gameplay: If a general dies, it won't be announced. Check your generals and govenors.

2. Local player decisions: Diplomacy, Stand/Retreat, etc

The way this script works is it changes which faction the game thinks the user controls. When it arrives (in the turn order) at the start of the next players turn it switches control.

However, not all the decisions you make in game are made during your turn. For example, if an AI faction attacks you, you usually must decide to fight or flee. If the AI attacks player 1's army, but the computer still thinks you are player 2 (i.e. after player 2's turn), the AI will make the decision to stand or fight on behalf of player 1. Similarly with diplomacy. The AI may accept or refuse an alliance on your behalf.

Remember, this won't always happen. If the AI faction has its turn directly after yours for example, you will still be the official local faction and will be allowed to choose yourself.

The effect of this on gameplay: Always check your diplomacy at the start of your turn. Always check your armies at the start of your turn.

3. Senate Missions

Test seem to indicate that no senate missions are offered after the first senate mission offered to any of the roman players.

House Rules and Gameplay Notes:

There are no prescribed house rules, however here are some which you should consider:

Battles against the AI: You may wish to make it a rule that all battles must be auto resoved, or that battles against the AI can be fought by the player. However, I strongly suggest that battles between players be autoresolved. Any other form of play is unfairly biased against the defender.
"Unoffical" Alliances: Remember to consider the fact that a diplomacy between players is now unlimited. Secret deals can be made to attack one player, possibly in exchange for a city or a pile of gold. Remember though that backstabbing may earn you a reputation.

Finally:
I hope sombody finds this fun.
If anyone wants to expand on this or use it in a mod, please contact me first, but I'll certainly say yes :bow:

Myrddraal

Other Rules Are:

*You have to play within a day of your turn or it is skipped
*You should write a report of your turn so that other players know what has happened
*Campaign Difficulty - Very Hard Campaign/Normal Battle/Auto Resolve

Myrddraal
06-05-2006, 20:06
First post edited to add detail, please re-check it

UltraWar
06-07-2006, 16:42
I have a proposal to make.
Would it possible to have a script which changes the no. of friendlyness between the roman factions from -10 to a possitive no. like 10 or 100 so that the Senate can be attacked.

RickFGS
06-07-2006, 16:46
I dont agree with this, in that case i would be in a battle against the army of my own city of rome! Because if i can attack him, we will be able to attack me also....

The scrip must make rome neutral, thats the best way to suit all, as neutral, the must be a script or something written on the rebels faction that can be copied to The Ai of SPQR, as in this way it will not attack, only defend itself.

Death the destroyer of worlds
06-07-2006, 16:56
You can give their generals the traits immovable and unbribable (not sure what the exact names are). Then they will not leave their provinces or undertake offensive action (except in their territory).

RickFGS
06-07-2006, 16:59
You can give their generals the traits immovable and unbribable (not sure what the exact names are). Then they will not leave their provinces or undertake offensive action (except in their territory).

That is perfect, SPQR always have one or two leaders commanding the troops, it will do the trick i think...

Ignoramus
06-08-2006, 06:28
Better make the Senate's army unbribable, I bribed it once as the Julii...

Myrddraal
06-08-2006, 14:06
Just to make it official (it was proposed and discussed in another thread), the gifting of cities to AI factions will not be allowed as it is possible to exploit the AI this way.

RickFGS
06-08-2006, 14:12
What will happen to rome city an SPQR?

Myrddraal
06-08-2006, 15:09
I'm not sure, we could take SPQR out of the game completely, just leave Rome rebel, but I'm not sure people want to download a mod - however small...

UltraWar
06-08-2006, 15:44
I'm not sure, we could take SPQR out of the game completely, just leave Rome rebel, but I'm not sure people want to download a mod - however small...
could do something like after the Julii's first turn: Rome Rebels and Senate are destroyed.
Will this work? But you could easily use it for a one turn event...

Monarch
06-08-2006, 15:47

I for one do not wish to d/l a mod. However couldn't something like that be done in RomeShell? First player puts the cheat in to make Rome Rebel.

Silver Rusher
06-08-2006, 20:00
Jeez, just leave the Senate where it is! What is the bleedin problem?

Wishazu
06-08-2006, 22:15
leave it guys, honestly this is taking too long to get started as it is...

Myrddraal
06-09-2006, 01:02
To be honest the delay has quite suited my purposes (I'm busy atm and I don't really have time to waste) but I guess the rest of you must be getting a little impatient.

shadowarmy75
06-09-2006, 02:21
I haven't been able to find the download of the script. The one at generals-collective is down because they are doing a makeover or something.:help:

Myrddraal
06-09-2006, 03:00
Well the download for the script generator can be found in the Forge, but I think UltraWar is going to generate the script and send it to all the players, so you shouldn't have to...

RickFGS
06-09-2006, 09:52
I would prefer to start on the 13th of July also....I´m busy till then and that date is just perfect...

Myrddraal
06-09-2006, 14:24
June.... :wink:

shadowarmy75
06-09-2006, 21:04
I really don't care when we start it. The school year is almost over and I don't haven't had homeowrk for a while.

Glaucus
06-09-2006, 22:49
well I have to leave at the end of June, but I have someone to take my place when I leave so no worries

RickFGS
06-10-2006, 13:48
Questions: The unit scale will be set to huge or large? Will extorsion of gold/cities from AI be allowed?

I prefer huge.

Glaucus
06-10-2006, 15:58
I think Large, my computer may have a problem with huge, but then again maybe not since we're not manually resolving battles...