PDA

View Full Version : Zonealarm pro update is making me suspicious

frogbeastegg
06-17-2006, 12:49
Since the creation of this forum I'm not certain if such questions belong here or in the apothecary. It's not tech support as such. Just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone else.

Yesterday Zonealarm did its usual thing and pestered me with one of those update boxes. I downloaded and installed the new version. Like the title says, the frog is suspicious. The update came via the usual sources, collected by the usual method. Never had any issues with that in the past. But this time ...

There was no "This is a security check from Zonelabs" message during the install. Ok, they might have dropped that.

Then up pops the usual set of questions about what kind of PC this is. Except they are different questions, asking how worried I am about spyware, how good with a PC I am, how often my PC has been hacked, and so on. No sign of the usual, more understandable questions. They’re also unskippable questions.

The little Zonealarm icon I see on the bottom right hand corner of my desktop keeps on changing. Took a few goes to catch it while it was in the altered state so I could get a tooltip. It claims to be running the update checker. Never seen it do this before; could be one of the new features ... but as frequently as every fifteen or so minutes? It takes priority away from firefox for a few seconds, so either I have to wait until it is done, or click on the window to get it back as the thing being used. Annoying. It also slows things down a tad.

Not even ten minutes ago I was playing HOMM5; the game minimalised without warning, as games do if the firewall jumps in with an alert of some kind. Except there was nothing. Never happened before. I quit the game, and when I returned to my desktop I found zonealarm had hung up in one of it's update checking sprees (which it wasn't in when the game was minimalised). Had to kill it with taskmanager after shutting down the net connection. Then, as if this wasn't enough, windows hung. Had to do a hard reboot.

The downloaded installation program was scanned with a virus checker, as per usual. Spyware checks have been run, as per usual. I've rummaged about in the assorted Zonealarm settings and info and can't find anything which looks wrong. Yet this feels like some kind of cracked spyware version of the firewall.

I'd download a new copy of the firewall, wipe off the old one and put the new copy in its place but I've no way of knowing that the new downloaded version would be different to this one. After all, this did come from the official channels.

Is Zonealarm Pro supposed to be doing this with the latest version (6.5.714.000)?

As a side issue, the firewall doesn’t seem to be blocking banner ads very well these days. They are set to blocked, with no exceptions on any site. Huh, I see them on most sites. Doesn’t block the irritating sounds on them either. Used to do, some months ago. Anyone else finding this?

_Martyr_
06-17-2006, 14:26
I dont use Zone Alarm, but it doesnt sound to me like its some sort of hacked version. Its extremely unlikely that a security firm like ZA would provide hacked content to their paying customers without noticing it very quickly. Believe me, if this was the case we would hear about it VERY quicly. It sounds more like slightly buggy release with some new features and changes that have not been completely tested yet, or at least have some remaining bugs. Perhaps you need to configure your firewall a bit more with this new release. Most programs allow you to specify how often it should check for updates so have a look in the options/configuration menu. As for the popups, try using the Adblocker and the Adblock Filterset.G Updater extensions for Firefox. I suspect nothing much has changed in ZoneAlarm, and thats exactly the problem, the Add companies have figured out how ZA is blocking their adds and hve changed their methods. Ass with most things security, a multi layered approach is best.

frogbeastegg
06-18-2006, 17:42
Thanks.

Oh - and also thanks for the adblocker tip. Never heard of it before. So far it's doing nicely.

KukriKhan
06-18-2006, 19:01
Game Mode
Stops security alerts from interrupting your fun with one click.
Gives you control to maintain security during gameplay.

from the "What's New in ZA 6.5" page
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/zass/whatsNew.jsp?lid=home_whats_new

Sounds like that bit is not working effectively yet.

ShadesWolf
06-18-2006, 19:27
Why dont you sent them an email at there website and ask if they have just released a new update/version.

Tell them what has been happening to your machine and is this normal.

LeftEyeNine
06-20-2006, 21:31
They may be conducting a survey. I'm not much concerned about your PC status, frog. HOMM5 loves to minimize to every program that intrudes. Don't get bothered with that. Kukri TechMighty proposed an option as well.

You are a cautious PC user, frog. That's just enough to stay out of trouble. :bow:

tibilicus
06-23-2006, 22:38
I found this great site for all your tech problems.

www.castlecops.com

I recently had a problem with ym computer than some times windows would hang when it was shutting down. These guys told me it could be a problem with zone alarm so told me to revert to an older version.

Theres a rather nince section on there forums dedicated to zone alarm.

Tib