PDA

View Full Version : Beta testing bugs and questions

Archayon
06-21-2006, 11:11
take a look at this scary 1/2 warrior monks ...
they float through the air and slaughter everything ....

https://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6272/halfwm5yj.png

could it be my video card?
never had this before,
but every single soldier in this battle had something like a rectangle of background around him, that covered the soldiers behind it

(also, again, notice the strange language mixing ...)

barocca
06-21-2006, 11:35
reposting

again, some questions

- where should i report things like the ones below?
In a topic? Mail you? Keep PM'ing you? ...

- still have some strange language clashes ...
> in the battlefield: look at this pic: https://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6272/halfwm5yj.png
> help texts on buttons still in german
> on the campaign map: every paper is in english, except for the explaining of offices. I noticed it with Oinori-bugyo and Machi-bugyo: the descripion is in german.

- i can't retrain any units, although i can train them. I get a message i can't retrain them because i don't have the facilities, but i do... but i think this one was known

- trade: it seems like i have POSITIVE income due to IMPORT! Is this normal?

- don't know what the V&V exactly are, but with the random one "coward" a got a - 9 morale penalty. Seems much. Is this correct?

- the general picture of some Hatamoto units (when you right click on it, where the V&V of that general can be seen), is one of a japanese with a pointy hat and a GUN (Hatamoto?).

- the picture of the "Citadel Storage Upgrade" is that one of the MTW "medium wall". Doesn't know if this is meant to be that way, but it was the only MTW building picture i could find.

Look, i don't know at all how much work some "bugs" ask, if they are easy to fix, or if they take a hell of time. So please don't bother it, i'm just reporting things that look strange TO ME. It's great after all there's such a fantastic working mod like this, and i appreciate your work and that of your compagnons very much!

finally, some port-sea links:

I only checked this with Takeda. Doesn't know if the faction has any effect on it.

- the Ise port points at the Totomi Sea, while there is a Ise bay too .... Don't know how it is in the original STW.
- wrong one: ships built in NOTO appear in WAKASA bay instead of TOYAMA bay (or the port in pointing wrong).
- ports and provinces i checked, and appear to be correct: Wakasa, Echizen, Kaga, Etchu, Musashi, Sagami, Izu, Suruga, Totomi, Mikawa, Owari and Ise. All ships appear in the sea the port is pointing at.

That's all for now.

:idea2: Arch
:bow:
B

barocca
06-21-2006, 11:37
the odd language mixing

do you normally run MTW in german?

the changes i made are in english, so i suspect that what you are seeing is the standard german texts mixed in with the changes i made in english

plan is for there to be several language translations for the mod
(we have a native german speaker on the crew - other languages we will ask for help with)

Ships - keep the reports about them coming,
i think they are getting placed in the first adjacent sea province,
i am not sure if that is "determined" from the campaign file or from the map
if its the campaign file i may be able to shuffle things around,
if it's the map i will have to move the ports,

so the more reports i have the easier it will be to determine which method i have to use

graphic glitches
in bios check your AGP arperture - i recommend at least equal to your graphic cards onboard ram.
all these units are checked by me and i dont have many trauma's,
my system is fairly basic now (it was high end 2 years ago when i bought it)

a couple of graphic errors have been tracked back to AGP arpeture being too small (default is too small)

the citadel upgrade does indeed use the MTW picture - simply put it's a good picture which does not clash with the theme of the mod, so i could see no need to make one especially for Samurai

portraits
we put in a wide mixture of pictures and images from shogun,
there are over 500 new portraits siting on my hard drive that i have to send to R'as when he ges to tinkering withthat part of the game,
for the most part we cannot assign portraits to unit types, so there will be occaisional odd ones
(though with all the ones i have here anything "ashigaru" will most likely be going to the ashigaru faction and not the samurai)

dont worry if you think an observation is not important enough,
they are ALL important,
it reminds of things we may have left of our to-do lists

cheers,
B.

R'as al Ghul
06-21-2006, 11:46
Konnichiwa,

the monk issue seems graphic card related to me.
The language mixture is due to your german version.
Our new releases will cover all supported languages.
In the mean time you could copy and paste everything
from your folder loc/eng to loc/german.
Most of the bugs in your first post are known to us.
They will be fixed eventually.

Do you have the add-on files?

macsen rufus
06-21-2006, 13:50
I installed the new smap_test files yesterday and spent the evening on a new Shimazu campaign. Initial observations in no particular order:

* training ships from Hyuga, and they come out in the right sea area (ie the one with the port in) :2thumbsup:
* starting armies look ok :2thumbsup:
* Japanese teppo still get their honour bonus in a province where they can't be trained (Awaji -- no iron -- no yoroi -- no JT) :no:
* still need to turn down the volume on generals/heroes - just a few years into the campaign I have six provinces and every one has a general of at least 7* in it. Leaves no room for development. Maybe keep Daimyos down to 5* max. at beginning of campaign :no:
* probably not MOD related, but just in case: I have a hero with "expert siege defender" virtue (+3 years to siege duration) but this doesn't work. Putting him in garrison doesn't improve the likely years to hold out, and when I let him get besieged the castle was "likely to hold out only 1 year" (I was counting on those extra years to train up a counter-attack army) :no:
* rebellions: seem to consist almost entirely of huge stacks of yari cav (but that's okay, it wasn't MY province that rebelled :laugh4: )

That's all I can recall for now, cheers

Archayon
06-21-2006, 13:51
Most of the bugs in your first post are known to us.
They will be fixed eventually.

Is there any topic i can find those known bugs together?
Feels rather stupid to feel like i've invented hot water ...
don't want to keep reminding of well-known bugs

Do you have the add-on files?

what do you mean by this?

i have:
- MTW:VI (apparently v2.01)
- the Samurai mod installed by the 40mb installer
- like 3 txt-files Barocca sent me.
What do those last 3 files do exactly?

Archayon
06-21-2006, 14:11
* rebellions: seem to consist almost entirely of huge stacks of yari cav (but that's okay, it wasn't MY province that rebelled :laugh4: )

That's all I can recall for now, cheers

don't have any experiences with that.
In my Takeda campaign, i had some rebellions, and triggered lots of civil wars, just for fun :charge:

they all were very different. Sometimes archers, sometimes ashi's, sometimes balanced groups, with or without valour ...

I did have some unbalanced armies (well, that's what they seem to me) when playing a custom battle
(forgot to mention that earlier)

i played 2 battles, let the AI choose units:
2vs2: my army was 1 Hatamoto, 1 yari cav, 2 cav archers and 1 unit of sam archer. My ally only got ashi's and yari sam. I lost terribly :shame: (on hard i think?)

1vs1: normal difficulty this time. i had 3 ashi's (1gen), 2 sam archers, 1 yari cav. All that infantry had +1 weapon, +2 armour, NO valour at all.
I had to fight against 2 battlefield ninja's (? do i remember this name correct? the one with 12 men in it), 3 portuguese gunmen and 2/3 jap gunmen (don't remember the name of those either). I've won, taking only 3 casualties, sparing none

>> it seems like the money is concentrated on 1 type of units? Is there anyone disagreeing? Could be wrong of course... but the spending of all armour, no valour ... ?
>> does the clans have any affect on the units?

There is some province with a special bonus for "kerns"...
didn't know they were japanese ;)
i think it's Owari or in that neighbourhood.

R'as al Ghul
06-21-2006, 14:24
Yes, the main topic, top one of the stickies.
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=48323&page=2
On page two, look for Tosa Inu's post and subsequent posts.
There was an update, mainly graphics etc but it has a few bugs.
There're also instructions on how to fix the bugs, fairly easy.

The 3 new text files you have are
-the startpos file, which tells the game where and what happens at the start of a game, it's fairly complex and explaining it all would take time
- the unit_prod determines what units can be build and where, their stats, AI building preferences etc.
- same for the build_prod but concerning buildings

Is there any topic i can find those known bugs together?
Feels rather stupid to feel like i've invented hot water ...
don't want to keep reminding of well-known bugs

what do you mean by this?

i have:
- MTW:VI (apparently v2.01)
- the Samurai mod installed by the 40mb installer
- like 3 txt-files Barocca sent me.
What do those last 3 files do exactly?

barocca
06-21-2006, 14:36
the kerns and the like will keep appearing as "in this province" until all the medieval startpos files are removed from the folder and the medieval unit prod files are removed from the root directory

in the next release i am going to make a batch file that will move all those type of files to prevent "contamination" - :-)

Awaji will have portugese teppo (which can be built there) as their specialty too

B.

R'as al Ghul
06-21-2006, 14:48
the kerns and the like will keep appearing as "in this province" until all the medieval startpos files are removed from the folder and the medieval unit prod files are removed from the root directory

I believe it's sufficient to use a reduced unit_prod like Yuuki made.

in the next release i am going to make a batch file that will move all those type of files to prevent "contamination" - :-)
B.

Excellent idea, I was experimenting with the install maker, but it doesn't have a delete feature.
Deleting all unnecessary files would be very good.

Archayon
06-21-2006, 16:15
Excellent idea, I was experimenting with the install maker, but it doesn't have a delete feature.
Deleting all unnecessary files would be very good.

will that make the vanilla MTW still playable?

R'as al Ghul
06-21-2006, 22:05
Nope, we're working on a complete overwrite.

will that make the vanilla MTW still playable?

Tomisama
06-22-2006, 02:34
Nope, we're working on a complete overwrite.

Yes! Thank you :yes:

I believe that that is the only way to go.

Trying to be everything to everyone, ends with being nothing to anyone.

Again Thanks!

Sorry for the interruption.

Breaker out :wink:

macsen rufus
06-22-2006, 13:07
Another thing spotted last night-- built my port in Osumi and found that the map acts as though the port is in the other sea region to the one where it shows on the map. This is the case for trade and shipping out troops and agents.

I find that armies tend to hide behind castles on the camp map, too. I think this may be down to origin co-ordinates, but I may be wrong. Perhaps the castles could be reduced in size, so that they're not big enough to conceal a whole stack?

Meanwhile my empire is growing, having a few good battles, trade is beginning to get into gear now and my Daimyo is maxxed out on influence. Haven't teched up for all troop types yet, but when I have I'll start testing the retraining issues from beta5/6, but can't imagine there'll be any problems now SP & MP units have been split.

barocca
06-22-2006, 14:23
if you can please take note (as you conquer the entire country) which provinces have origin co-ordinates that i need to move

many thanks
B.

Puzz3D
06-22-2006, 17:07
In the next release i am going to make a batch file that will move all those type of files to prevent "contamination".
All the maps will have to be removed as well. My progress on the new maps is going very slowly due to a family illness.

barocca
06-23-2006, 02:21
All the maps will have to be removed as well. My progress on the new maps is going very slowly due to a family illness.
I hope nothing too serious and that all comes out well.

We are not in any rush for the maps, so a delay is not going to worry us one little bit.

A good idea to remove all the maps and insert there replacements,
keeps things nice and tidy and removes the possibility of errors.

When you are ready for naming conventions give me a yell and i'll redo my research - i cant find my notes anywhere,
sadly i suspect they were on one of the HDD's that failed before i could back everything up adequately.
I will go through my backup CD's one more time just to be sure.
Research will take me a weekend or 3 to 4 workdays.

again i hope all will be well again soon,
cheers,
B.

macsen rufus
06-23-2006, 18:05
@barocca

if you can please take note ....

I'm making a file of stuff that I spot (never ALT-TABbed so much since I started playing :laugh4: ) so will try and save everything for when I've annihilated all before my rampaging warriors and then post it up here in one go. So if I go quiet, don't worry, I'm still testing :2thumbsup:

If there's anything I can sort myself, I'll try, and let you know the fix rather than the problem.

barocca
06-24-2006, 08:17
@barocca

I'm making a file of stuff that I spot (never ALT-TABbed so much since I started playing :laugh4: ) so will try and save everything for when I've annihilated all before my rampaging warriors and then post it up here in one go. So if I go quiet, don't worry, I'm still testing :2thumbsup:

If there's anything I can sort myself, I'll try, and let you know the fix rather than the problem.
VERY much appreciated

B.

JuanT
06-25-2006, 00:17
Hello there,

Playing as oda clan, level hard, 10 years played.

New things that work OK:

-Colouring of battle units (great)
-Retraining of starting units
-Kensai seem not so invincible?

So far only two glitches spotted: One, the colours of the strategy map pieces for some clans are a bit strong, and have a few errand pixels and missed details in daymio flag. However, I suspect this is the price to pay for the new recoloured units, right? (genial idea btw). One sugestion would be to make the BIFs paler (easy with BIF reader) such as the faction colours do not have to be so strong/contrasted. But now at least it is possible to distinguish all the old 'red' clans pieces from each other.

https://img99.imageshack.us/img99/280/campmappieces4ww.jpg

The second issue can also be seen in this image, the Takeda colours have changed to red/black but thier mons (also in battles) remains white/black. From the Kagemusha movie it would seem their mon could come in any colour really,it could be changed to red/black?

Issues that couls be improved:

-Reduce initial Koku money (to say 5000?)
-Put starting garrisons in rebel provinces
-Change the starting units for each clan to provide variety (suggest copy from Shogun or, better, smap5 that gave really interesting starting battles)
-Mercenaries appear now in less quantity but still very advaced units appear very early, such as Kensai and Yari cavalry. I think also Yari cavalry should not be allowed for rebels. The mercenaries issue could be sorted if they are attracted by a building more difficult to build than a mere watchtower (say teahouse or borderforts?).

-Titles provide too good improvements (command and dread) for generals, when these are already too good too early.

-I still cannot get my head around the technology tree, I am doing a pdf techtree card based on the old Shogun one, if this of interes for the mod let me know.

That's all for now. In summary, a definitive improvement and no serious bugs yet. Will continue testing.

barocca
06-25-2006, 08:57
-I still cannot get my head around the technology tree, I am doing a pdf techtree card based on the old Shogun one, if this of interes for the mod let me know

that would come in handy,
there are a couple of changes to be made for the final tech tree,
theyu should be minor and they are a few weeks away yet,

for example :- gold and silver palaces will most likely only be available in Yamashiro PLUS a new unit will be exclusive to Yamashiro as well
(i believe i can make Yamashiro a special province capable of building exclusive buildings and units)

SO a PDF tech tree would be very nice indeed!!!
(it should be a couple of fairly simple updates, but my apologies in advance if it gets a little complicated)

by the way

The reason you see both gun factories in some provinces, sometimes only of one of them in others,
and neither in yet more others is the Portugese Teppo are linked to Trade Goods,
and the Japanese Teppo are linked to Iron.
Some provinces have both, some have only one or the other, and some provinces have neither.
And that is also why there is a mercenary Teppo Ashigaru unit as well,
so if a player happens to have NO provinces capable of building guns he can hire some.

:-)
B.

JuanT
06-26-2006, 00:20
Glad to be of help with the tech tree pdf, it makes it more worthwhile doing it.

Unfortunately, two major bugs noted in campaing:

-NO CORPSES WHATSOEVER IN CAMPAING BATTLES! Is anyone else not getting them? (I do no know how I missed this until now!) barocca mentioned before 'some missing corpes', but I do not get any at all. A problem with the deadpage?

-The rebels DO NOT train army units, period. Rebel provinces construct Dojos but no unit seems to be trained (I am at war with them for several turns, conquering province after province, dojos not used. Only a unit of Yari samurai trained in seven provinces. this also happened with smap6 but not smap5)

~:(