PDA

View Full Version : Help my connection terminates after 2 hours

ZombieFriedNuts
06-21-2006, 14:19
I have a dial up Internet connection and am trying to download something, but after two hours the Internet just disconnects itself :furious3:, can anyone help please because I want to download it overnight.

Mikeus Caesar
06-21-2006, 15:56
I have a dial up Internet connection and am trying to download something, but after two hours the Internet just disconnects itself :furious3:, can anyone help please because I want to download it overnight.

I used to have that problem, when i had dial-up. Don't think there's a solution, unfortunately.

One question though - what are you doing still using dialup!? The only person i know that still uses dialup is my Grandfather and even he is going to upgrade soon.

ZombieFriedNuts
06-21-2006, 18:43
O don’t you start as well, I have already explained this in another thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=65938).

Beirut
06-21-2006, 23:28
One question though - what are you doing still using dialup!? The only person i know that still uses dialup is my Grandfather and even he is going to upgrade soon.

You saucy knave. :laugh4:

Uesugi Kenshin
06-22-2006, 03:30
Currywurry some people cannot get broadband no matter what. I cannot get any type of broadband because of my location, so I am stuck on dial-up. Have a little respect.

Mikeus Caesar
06-22-2006, 16:45
Currywurry some people cannot get broadband no matter what. I cannot get any type of broadband because of my location, so I am stuck on dial-up. Have a little respect.

I'm sorry, but i find it hilarious and tragic at the same time that in this, the 21st Century, people in one of the most developed country's in the world, a country that prides itself on it's technology, can't get broadband and have to rely on horribly outdated technology.

It's an utter farce...

Our connection is being upgraded to 8mbps soon!

hoom
06-24-2006, 04:32
Well, technically it should be possible to get some form of satelite broadband pretty much anywhere.
However, price may be prohibitive...

As mentioned in the other thread, best to use a download manager like Getright to make sure you get the full file.

Disconnects of dialup can be due to a number of reasons at least including these:
Noise on the line eg from water in the cable or some extent of electrical interference.
Power management on the PC turning off the modem.
The ISP disconnecting users who have been on for a long time to give others the ability to connect, normally setting auto-reconnect + using eg Getright will allow your connection to be re-established & file to continue downloading.
Email program disconnecting after an auto check (though I've never heard of anyone setting this to 2hrs)