PDA

View Full Version : Melech al Z'Sar - To Rule Over This Land (A Carthaginian story)

Comrade Alexeo
06-22-2006, 12:14
https://img240.imageshack.us/img240/9660/carthageslaughter4bf.jpg

Dictations of Shophet Protege Hamalcar son of Abdimiliki, 266 Stab

I'm told that it was a slaughter. Ah, my poor nephew...

I had just returned from a successful campaign in Sicilia, having finally seized Syrakousai and its valuable shipping lanes. My troops, most of them Greek mercenaries of one form or another, were just as eager as I was to return home to Kart-Hadast for a well-deserved furlough as I received new orders from Shophet Mago son of Abdimiliki.

As his son, Xanthippos, had been dispatched to reconsolidate western Africa from Numidian rule when I had departed to Sicilia, and thanks to our recent, if fragile, alliance with the Romans - apparently they consider the Epeirotes a greater threat - I was expecting orders to make a surprise assault on the Greeks; with those ports, we would control virtually all of Mediterranean sea trade!

It seems, however, that the Gods have a different plan for us...

https://img146.imageshack.us/img146/5919/carthagecity1xe.jpg

Earlier that day
Kart-Hadast, Karthadestim capital

"Some victory celebration."
"Quiet you!"

Hamalcar son of Abdimiliki narrowed his eyes.

White banners...

The horses began to whinny and shuffle about. After a bumpy sea ride to Sicilia, long and fierce campaigning on the island and in the toe of Italia, followed by another bumpy sea ride home, the horses were in no mood to continue waiting in the hot sun of stab when they saw the walls of Kart-Hadast - shade, snacks, and blessed sleep were in store!

The Shophet Protege gently pet the head of his horse, Zeugos, and then popped his knees inwards into the torso. Instantly, Zeugos began to trot towards the gates of the city, the Army of the Mediterranean marching right behind.

"My liege, I, Hamalcar son of Abdimiliki, have returned to your court."
"Come now, no formalities needed amongst family, beloved brother!"

The brothers Mago and Hamalcar kissed each other's cheeks. Though born of the same father, Mago, the Shophet of Karthadestim, was 22 years older than Hamalcar, his Protege. And yet...

"By the gods, brother, you seem to have aged a decade! Even the sun does not create 60 year olds out of 50 year olds - have you been working in the fields?"

Hamalcar meant it as a jest, but Mago simply sighed.

"Why do I see white, brother? Why is the color of death all around me? Have I... have I failed you, Shophet?"

How could I have gone wrong? I took what I was asked to... Did my truce with the Romans anger him?

But Mago shook his head.

"No, no, your brilliant acheivements are not to be held against you. Indeed, they are a light in these dark times. I fear I have terrible news..."

"What is it, brother?"

"Your nephew... my son, Xanthippos... he has died."

Dictations of Shophet Protege Hamalcar son of Abdimiliki, 266 Stab

Oh! What a heavy weight I felt in my heart then!

Xanthippos son of Mago was my favorite of my nephews - not least because at times he seemed the most competent! I had noted with approval his appointment to lead the Army of Africa to clear the West of Numidian filth.

I learned later from Shophet Mago son of Abdimiliki that for several years, while I been leading most of our military in Sicilia, his son Xanthippos had been quite successful leading skilled cavalry mercenaries from Iberia against the Numidians, driving them from the desert and even capturing their capital at Kirtsan.

Trouble seems to have arisen after he took the city of Siga. The Numidians may be the bastards of the desert, but they certainly are skilled warriors, and he has suffered enough losses by now that he was forced to wait for reinforcements within the walls of Siga.

No sooner had my nephew entered the city when suddenly a force of Numidians, outnumbering him easily twice, besieged the city. Shophet Mago son of Abdimiliki told me that he had tried to organize a relief force, but was blocked by the last vestiges of Numidian garrison resistance near Kirtsan.

I was obviously unaware of all of this, being as I was occupied with the siege of Syrakousai. I would gladly have returned to Africa had I known but Shophet Mago son of Abdimiliki had decided that by the time I could be informed and return, it would be too late - and in the meantime, Syrakousai would remain an uncaptured port. I realize now that of course that was precisely the correct course of action, but it is a shame that it had to be so nonetheless.

While I was sieging, my nephew Xanthippos was besieged himself. Perhaps hoping that the Numidians would soon have to retire because of supply-line problems, he waited until there was no grain left in the granaries of Siga, at which point he knew that he must break out - or die.

Alas, die he did. He was at the head of some 630 or so Iberians, most of them cavalry skirmishers - which was, of course, playing right into the Numidian's accursed hands, who outnumbered him at least 700 men, according to estimates from one of our spies exploring the region. All were caught down in the hail of javelins even as Xanthippos son of Mago's men charged the Numidians. His father, Shophet Mago son of Abdimiliki, heard reports that Xanthippos himself was the last to die, fighting to the death among a horde of Numidian cavalrymen, but of course we have no way of knowing if that is true.

But one thing is certain: Greece shall to wait, for the Numidians must pay.

265 Abib

It was time to begin.

After reluctantly wintering in Kart-Hadast to reequip and retrain the Army of the Mediterranean, Shophet Protege Hamalcar son of Abdimiliki was ready to march on the Numidians.

Almost ready, at least.

"I must admit, brother, I am somewhat reluctant to march... the Interreggnum Pact is tenuous at best. The Getai certainly pose no threat to us, sitting in the Balkans, and I doubt the Spanish would try any treachery while I march towards the Iberian peninsular - though they're made enough to try it..."

"I am wary myself, but the Epeirotes should keep things stable long enough for you to conduct this operation. Our scouts from Rhegion report that Pyrrhus still has a large force in the south of Italia, so I doubt the Senate will dare to stretch themselves even further in a move against us, and the Koinon Hellenon are surely much too occupied with Pyrrhus and Makedon to bother with us - gods, our trade with them is probably all that sustains them!"

"True, brother, but..."

"Go, Hamalcar. Go and show me why you are my Protege. Bring our country revenge! Bring me my vengeance!"

Dictations of Shophet Protege Hamalcar son of Abdimiliki, 265 Kayits

Sometimes I wonder why the Numidians even bother.

Abib was a joke, in some ways. Two Numidian forces simply ran for the hills when I attempted to engage them. By now they've probably returned, but I am sure that Shophet Mago son of Abdimiliki will know as soon as they do, as my new watchtowers were erected for just that purpose.

Then there was the battle with that Numidian Theophanes Urso. The fool had taken to pillaging Mashiliem, and gotten too comfortable with hit. He had 1100 or so Numidians with him, but this time it was I who outnumbered the Numidians twice, and I've taken the lesson that my Greek mercenary peltasts, thanks to their shields and their swords, are more than a match than any rabble the Numidians can raise to heart. I walked away with, according to the official tally, 1870 men. The Numidians, after those citizens of Kart-Hadast who were both rich enough to possess horses and proud enough to join us when the Army of the Mediterranean set out, walked away with a dozen or so - nobody bothered to check just how many of them ran crying home to their wives.

And now, the sun is even brighter...

I admit, I hate kayits. The humidity rising off the sea is nigh-unbearable, no matter how many years I've lived by the coast. All for the better, though; perhaps the sun's rays have afflicted the Numidians with even greater-than-normal stupidity, for I easily swept aside their 500-odd man attack last week without a second thought.

Marching in this blasted heat is hardly uplifting to anyone with more than sand in their heads, but at least we, the Army of Mediterranean, can take comfort in knowing that Siga, where my poor nephew Xanthippos, son of Shothep Mago son of Abdimiliki, and the Army of Africa were slaughtered without mercy, is now just a short march away.

All are ready. We shall not fear defeat from the Numidian scum, for it is impossible. Instead, we will look forward, to victory!

TO BE CONTINUED...

Ludens
06-22-2006, 12:49
Excellent story!

Warlord 11
06-23-2006, 02:59
Very Nice!

Comrade Alexeo
06-23-2006, 07:51
Dictations of Shophet Protege Hamalcar son of Abdimiliki, 263 Kayits

I am triumphant, but I feel little but anger burning inside me!

A year! For a year we besieged this city! As the Numidians had starved my nephew Xanthippos son of Mago, so would we starve the Numidians before our attack! They would suffer before their death!

For an entire year, the Army of the Mediterranean has been waiting with baited breath, with iron swords and bronze armor, ready to meet these Numidians who slaughtered so many of our warriors!

And they did nothing! Damn those cowardly Numidians! They did not sally forth and meet their doom honorably against us - no! They decided on suicide! That we took the city of Siga with no losses only ruins our pride as well as the Numidians' - what little those rats have! - for we did not take it in the honorably way, soldier-to-soldier! F**k!

Yet worse news came once we reopened the port: a messenger from Shophet Mago son of Abdimiliki informed us that the Romans had expelled the Epeirotes completely from Italia when they stormed Taras. The eyes of the Senate may now turn to Rhegion, and Sicilia - and we are here, hundreds of miles away, chasing desert ghosts who prefer a flight over a fight!

I have ordered the priests to sacrifice the bodies of the Numidians - for they are truly more animal than man - to the Gods, so that fortune may smile upon us...

262 Abib
Tingis, Numidian seaport

"Χαλαρώστε επάνω!" Loosen up!
"Κάλυψη ασπίδων, κίνηση!" Shields cover, move!

Tingis, on the African side of the Straits of Gibralter, was an important seaport for trade with the Iberians - a key settlement if the Numidians were to maintain their resistance to Karthadestim rule.

"Κάνετε να αναμείνετε!" Make ready!
"Στόχος!" Aim!

Their bodies full of unspent adrenaline from the long and, in their minds unresolved, siege of Siga, the Army of the Mediterranean did not bother to circumvallate the city, or even construct siege equipment.

"ELEPHANTS RIGHT! ELEPHANTS RIGHT!"
"Πυρκαγιά!" FIRE!

Dozens of spears flew through the air as the Greek mercenary peltastai whipped their arms forward and ducked under the large shields as the Numidian counter-volley soared back at them.

"DRAW THEM LEFT! DRAW THEM LEFT!"
"Κάλυψη ασπίδων, κίνηση!" Shields cover, move!
"Κάλυψη της πυρκαγιάς! Η πυρκαγιά!" Covering fire! Fire at will!

Half of the peltastai sprinted to the left of the wooden gates as their comrades threw yet more spears into the Numidian mob gathering at the gate.

Now the fog of war began to overtake the defenders. They knew that they had to eliminate the elephants before they smashed their way through the walls, but the constant hail of spears caused panic and confusion. Horses darted back and forth, colliding into each other and knocking over the foot-soldiers as they tried vainly to discern through the dust where they needed to go. Khiletzbal, the Numidian commanding the 965-strong garrison, became mixed up in the mass of confused soldiers and became confused himself as he lost all orientation.

"INFANTRY FORM UP FOR ADVANCE!"
"Στόχος! Πυρκαγιά!" Aim! Fire!

The Liby-Phoenicians and the phalangitai set themselves in a column as the lead elephant began to crash into the walls to the right of the gate. It was a risky move with all those Numidian javelins, but the Numidians were busying themselves with the immediate problem of the peltastai - every time they tried to move upon the elephants, the spears drove them back. Meanwhile, their own efforts were futile against the peltastai's oval shields.

"THE WALL IS DOWN! ELEPHANTS PULL BACK ELEPHANTS PULL BACK! INFANTRY FORWARD!"
"Κλείστε επάνω! Σύρετε τα ξίφη!" Close up! Draw swords!

Suddenly Khiletzbal retook charge of the situation and ordered his cavalrymen to charge out the gates and cut down the peltastai so his infantry could race to close up the gap that even now the Liby-Phoenicians were beginning to exploit.

In response, the peltastai reformed into their melee formation and moved to the gate to cut down the Numidians as they attempted to charge out. This worked to the advantage of the peltastai - the Numidians would be forced to charge into the Greeks piecemeal and without full effect.

"Σύρετε τα ξίφη!" Draw swords!

Suddenly the Liby-Phoenicians and the phalangitai dropped their sarissas and charged headlong into the oncoming Numidian infantry, cutting down the unarmored skirmishers with impunity.

"CAVALRY ON ME! PREPARE TO CHARGE! CHARGE!"

Then Hamalcar himself led his citizen-cavalry on a counter-charge against the Numidians, who were still trying to break out of the gate. Khiletzbal saw the danger and ordered his cavalry to draw back to the wide central square, but as he wheeled around he was cut down by one of the peltastai.

The Numidians broke and ran for their lives, but they would not have them for long...

Dictations of Shophet Protege Hamalcar son of Abdimiliki, 262 Kayits

Ah, to think that just a year ago we were all so distraught!

The Gods have certainly smiled upon the Army of the Mediterranean, for not only have we taken Tingis and begun marching to nearby Sala, but I have gained a new nephew!

I received word earlier today by courier that after my niece Muttunbaal gained her womanhood last month when her monthly courses began - and at only 13! - her father, my brother Hasdrubal son of Abdimiliki, married her to Hiempsal Carale in his city of Martia in Iberia. I am told by my brother Hasdrubal son of Abdimiliki that at 22, Hiempsal Carale is already a fine example of a man, his positive attitude heartening all around him. I am proud to have gained a nephew after the death of Xanthippos son of Mago, but I must wonder where my brother found this lad - all the suitors approaching my daughters, begging me to adopt them into my family, have been utterly worthless slobs! Hopefully, a suitor with the right qualities will approach soon, for I believe I will be in Africa for quite some time...

https://img234.imageshack.us/img234/3791/carthagecapturesala1px.jpg

259 Kayits

"You asked for me, great Shophet?"
"Ah, dear nephew, just who I wanted to see now! Come with me."

Shophet Mago began to walk through the halls of the palace, talking to Hiempsal as he did, his nephew listening attentively to every word.

"As you know, Hiempsal, your uncle Hamalcar has been holed up in Sala ever since he took it after a year of siege in stab two years ago."

"Yes, I recall Shophet. My uncle had decided that he needed to gather up a larger force before he set for the interior of Africa, to avoid the inevitable attrition that comes from war and establishing garrisons."

"Exactly right. Thanks to the reinforcements your uncle Hasdrubal sent from Iberia, the Army of the Mediterranean is almost ready to march."

"What good news then! If the Numidians continue to fight as they did at Tingis and Sala, being foolishly outflanked within their own walls, my uncle will soon crush all resistance. But what has this to do with me, great Shophet?"

"Come, dear nephew, let me show you."

And they walked to the balcony, and looked upon the great central plaza of Kart-Hadast.

"By the Gods!"

"While you were sailing from Iberia, Hiempsal, I have created this army from all parts of our lands! Mercenaries and allies stand in that square, nephew!"

Hiempsal looked at the vast force arrayed below.

"Six hundred cavalrymen, citizen and Greek mercenary alike, ready to charge upon the enemy!"

Shophet Mago son of Abdimiliki was now speaking at the top of his voice, still strong even at his advanced age, so that those in the square could hear. The hippeis and their Karthadestim compatriots raised their spears and cheered.

"Nine hundred sixty-five Libyans, swift new recruits and mail-armored veterans!"

Now the Libyan spearmen raised their spears and shouted, some with shining chain-mail, the rest with brilliant white tunics.

"Four hundred two Liby-Phoenician spearmen, ready to fight shoulder-to-shoulder, and brother-to-brother!"

On cue the Liby-Phoenician sections all assumed perfect phalanx formations and then cheered at the top of the lungs.

"Three hundred twenty Greek peltastai, and two hundred forty phalangitai, fighting not for the highest bidder but for the strongest of all!"

Yet more cheers and shouts went through the air.

"Tell me, dear nephew Hiempsal, what do you think of my army?"

"A magnificent sight, great Shophet!"

A crescendo of cheers and cries rang out down below.

"Will you lead them then?"

Hiempsal gasped in awe and shock. There was a momentary pause, but then he replied:

"I will my liege!"

Then I leave the Army of the Peloponnessian to you, dear nephew Hiempsal! You sail for Greece tonight!"

Now the whole of Kart-Hadast was filled with cheers and applause for the young man. He held back his tears of pride and simply absorbed it all...

...for he knew it would be a while before he would see such a splendor again.

TO BE CONTINUED...

GMT
06-23-2006, 19:54
Nice! I think that pic with the cut off limbs will be removed though!

Comrade Alexeo
06-24-2006, 07:28
Dictations of Shophet Protege Hamalcar, 258 Abib

Today was a day for feasting and celebration - my son arrived!

His timing could have been little better. After the reinforcements from Hasdrubal son of Abdimiliki arrived in Sala, allowing me to leave a garrison of close to 400 men and still lead a strong Army of the Mediterranean into the desert, I immediately decided that we should begin our march at the end of the season - for 'horef is no great enemy but a friend in Africa!

So caught up was I in preparations for the campaign that I neglected to remember that my son, also named Hamalcar, was going to turn 16 soon, and so be of age as a man! I felt such shame that I had forgotten - so it was a wonderful surprise when, just today, my son found our encampment just outside the border of Gaetulia and rode in astride a magnificent horse!

Since I was constantly away from my son as he grew, he is not much like me - we often disagree on matters. I can sense already, however, a brilliant tactical ability within himself beginning to emerge. I do not believe I have ever been so proud!

258 Abib-Stab
Africa and Greece, Karthedestim campaigns

And so the Army of the Mediterranean continued its march deeper into the desert through the year, even with the unrelenting rays of the sun bearing down upon the soldiers. The baggage train of water and other supplies stretched for miles as they snaked through the West African mountains.

By an amazing coincidence, the very day that Hamalcar's son Hamalcar joined the Army of the Mediterranean, its counterpart, the Army of the Peloponnessian, landed in its namesake.

Its commander, Hiempsal Carales, analyzed the situation presented to him:

-the Koinon Hellenon were in an extremely weak position, holding only one city, Sparte, in Greece proper - and that was under siege by Makedon. They were, however, a part of the Interregnum Pact.

-the Makedonians controlled virtually all of central and eastern mainland Greece. They traded but otherwise had little to do with Kart-Hadast.

-the Epeirotes controlled western Greece, and still maintained a respectable force. However, although the Romans had signed a truce with Epeiros, they nevertheless remained an important thorn in the Senate's side, and an excellent source of distraction.

Hiempsal could thus:

-Take the honorable route and aid the Greeks against Makedon. This was diplomatically the best choice but militarily the worst, for Makedon's might was immense.

-Take the dishonorable route and betray the Greeks. This was militarily the best choice because the Koinon Hellenon were clearly on their last legs, but diplomatically the worst - the delicate Interregnum Pact would likely collapse altogether, making Kart-Hadast an open target, and in any case it would only strengthen Makedon even further.

-Take no side in the matter and simply attack Epeiros. Diplomatically and militarily, this was somewhere in between the other possible courses of action - but it could be dangerous to eliminate a prime target for Rome.

After much thought, Hiempsal hired several more mercenaries and made his attack...

...on the Makedonian army besieging Sparte.

From the private journal of Hiempsal Carales, commander of the Army of the Peloponnessian, 258 Stab

I think it would be good to write down the events of the Battle of Sparte, so that I might analyze them in more depth later on, and so learn how to better conduct future battles. I will begin discussing the battle now.

When I attacked the Makedonian army, it was at the rear of their deployment, as they were conducting a siege on Sparte. They evidentally decided that I was a greater threat than the Greeks, which was indeed true - I had somewhere under 3000 soldiers, while I learned after the battle that the Greek garrison consisted only of 1110. It would also be to the advantage of the Makedonians to engage me in a set-piece battle rather than in an urban settting, so that their cavalry would have free reign to maneuver and their infantry would have room to deploy. This implies that in future conduct against the Makedonians, that I will either 1) have to be sure that my own Greek mercenaries are capable enough to play the Makedonians at their own game in a pitched battle or 2) have to recruit lighter and more mobile troops so as to capitalize on fighting the Makedonians in a situation that does not favor them tactically. My hope was that by forcing the Makedonians to face my army, then the Greek garrison could sally and threaten the rear of their deployment on the battlefield.

The battlefield itself was a relatively flat, wide plain. Notably, there were two small areas of trees, situated some distance apart from each other in the center of the plain. Therefore, our - that is, us and the Makedonians - infantry formations would be not as uniform as they would be typically, but in contrast our cavalry would have plenty of room to maneuver. Therefore, cavalry would prove the deciding factor in the battle. Once again, this meant playing the Makedonians at their own game, for while I had more horsemen, their cavalry were heavier and arguably more skilled. Before the battle, this begged the question: Will the wide battlefield work to the advantage of my swifter and more numerous medium cavalry, or would the heavy cavalry of the Makedonians negate that advantage? I eventually learned that it was not quite so clear cut.

I deployed in a fairly standard formation; my pikemen were arranged in a long single line, with phalangitai in the center and flanked by Liby-Phoenicians. On my right wing I placed about 300 mercenary Greek cavalry, and on my left my 400 Karthadestim cavalry. I deployed my peltastai before my main infantry line, and kept the Libyans after it, for they were not suited for such close-orders battle. Question: Would it be better in the future for my Libyans to remain in reserve in the rear, or rather should they be deployed on the wings on my pikemen? The former seems safer, but I may simply be forfeiting a potential asset; the latter allows for more tactical creativity, as they could possibly lighten the load on my cavalry, but otherwise they may simply be cut down by the sarissas and xystons of the Makedonians. I shall have to see in future battles.

The Makedonians arrayed themselves in a similar fashion. Our pike counts were approximately the same, while my cavalry outnumbered theirs by a fair margin, but they possessed far more skirmishers, including peltastai. All in all, they outnumbered me by 200 or so.

When the battle began, the Makedonians quickly moved their whole formation out of the trees and into the beginning of the flat area between the two wooded areas, and then called a halt, clearly waiting for me to move.

I also ordered the infantry to deploy ahead of our wooded section and onto the plain. In the meantime, my cavalry wings began to march off in a diagonal fashion as compared to our infantry lines, moving towards the Makedonians as a whole but hopefully, if the Makedonians took the bait, drawing the Makedonian cavalry further away from their infantry and onto the emptier sections of the plain, whereby my cavalry could use mobility to their advantage.

To some extent, the Makedonians obliged, but, aware that they were that the Greek garrison might make a sally into the rear, their Thessalian cavalry moved only partially outwards on my right flank. However, their other wing of cavalry began a pursuit to my Karthadestim cavalry on my left flank.

I ordered the infantry to halt just out of missile range, and waited for a few minutes for the arrival of the Greeks, who had assured me they would indeed sally and hit the Makedonian rear. By this time, the Thessalians pursuing my left-wing cavalry were close enough that my cavalry countercharged, and began to push them back.

It was then that the situation began to worsen, however. A messenger astride a ragged-looking horse rode along the edges of the battlefield and into my position. He was bearing a banner and the uniform of the Koinon Hellenon, and he informed me that the Greeks were indeed coming to my aid, but had been delayed. He gave no reason, but I learned later that the Makedonians had made counter-fortifications and circuvallated Sparte, which made moving out of the city difficult.

As if the Makedonians were aware of what the Greek had just told me, their entire line suddenly began to march toward mine. They sent several of their fast-moving peltastai against my left-wing cavalry, who were still engaging the Thessalians. My cavalry was able to overcome them, but it prolonged the melee to a level that seemed ominously dangerous to my infantry line.

Then the Makedonian pike formation split into three sections. One continued to move on my pikemen, while the other sections wheeled to protect the flanks from my cavalry. While this meant that the Makedonian main attack was therefore not as strong, it also meant that neither my cavalry nor my Libyans in reserve could make an outflanking move. Question: In the future, will it be better to possess a stronger infantry core, so that these splits end up only nuisances, or possess more cavalry, so as to force the enemy to spread themselves even further?

Anyway, my Karthadestim cavalry finally broke the Thessalians and their supporting peltastai on the left - but no such luck was to be had on my right. There, my hippeis, fewer in number and forced to engage the Thessalians closer to the main enemy line, began to be cut down under the weight of Makedonian light infantry moving against them. Several times they tried to break away and draw their pursuers away from the main line, but the Makedonians refused to go for it.

Then our pike lines met. I possessed local superiority, but I also knew that if my cavalry were driven from the field, it would only be a matter of time before I was overwhelmed.

Suddenly, my right-wing mercenaries broke and ran, the Makedonians in hot pursuit. I ordered my Libyans to prepare to defend the right flank if necessary, and I pondered withdrawing and saving my forces to fight in a better situation.

It was then that I heard battle horns in the distance. All turned to see the source; the Makedonians paled, and the Army of the Peloponnessian cheered.

https://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5470/carthagegreekreinforcements4tm.jpg

Eugenos Rhodos and his Greeks had finally arrived.

Now it was the Makedonians who began to contemplate retreat; they had hoped to engage us and the Greeks separately. Yet we were still here, and the Greeks were closing in.

The tide of the battle began to turn. As the Makedonian right-wing (my left) began to move into a position to hold the Greeks, a gap opened for my Karthadestim cavalry to exploit. Though tired from their exertions, they charged with a great cry and smashed into the rear of the Makedonians engaging my infantry line. In the meantime, my Greek mercenaries were heartened and began to regroup just behind my right flank.

In desperation, the Makedonian captain charged his Thessalians into the rear of my Karthadestim engaging the infantry's rear, but it was too late - the enemy pikemen broke and ran for safety, and before the captain could retreat he was run down and killed by my cavalry.

Any pretense of continuing the battle was abandoned by the Makedonians. They began to withdraw from the battlefield, hoping to spare as many men as they could while two small, desperate rearguards tried to delay the advance of the Greeks under Eugenios and my own mercenaries, who had charged back into the fray. Both rearguards soon broke, however; when my Karthadestim galloped to aid my Greek mercenaries, the Makedonians holding them ran for their lives and were quickly cutdown. This disheartened those forces holding the Greeks so that they simply dropped their weapons and shields and rushed away in vain.

With all rearguard resistance crumbling away to nothing, my cavalry and the Greeks' joined together and began to run down those Makedonian units still trying to withdraw off the field. And with that, the day was ours!

In the end, I lost some 287 men, most of them my mercenary hippeis. The Greeks (though they admittedly arrived late) a mere 19 against the Makedonian rearguard. In contrast, while some 700 or so Makedonians managed to withdraw to safety, they left behind over 2400 of their comrades in arms.

I admit that I am flushed with victory, but I have had these thoughts while writing this:

- I require more and better quality cavalry on my flanks. My men performed admirably today, but they proved too easy to delay.

- I also require more missile troops, preferably archers for longer-range disruption.

- I shall have to determine some definitive role for my Libyan Spearmen.

- On the other hand, my Liby-Phoenicians and mercenary phalangitai seem adequate for holding the enemy.

Hopefully, this battle will teach me yet more, hearten my soldiers, and make my country proud.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Comrade Alexeo
06-25-2006, 01:41
From the private journal of Hiempsal Carales, commander of the Army of the Peloponnessian, 257 Abib

Such wealth I had not seen outside Kart-Hadast before! I wonder if all the Makedonian cities are as rich as Korinthos!

And yet, it was only gained through the loss of much life. Will 600 brave souls always be the price to pay for such splendor? I think I should, as before, write down the events of the Battle of Korinthos, so that I can evaluate the performance of the Army of the Peloponnessian and myself, and so save more lives in the future.

In some ways the situation was reversed from the Battle of Sparte: this time, it was we who were the besiegers, and it was the Makedonian garrison that sallied with reinforcements. By the will of the Gods, however, the Makedonian army that joined the garrison would not be attacking our rear, but instead merely supplementing the main frontal assault.

The terrain was quite different; rolling hills leading from the Makedonian city of Korinthos, and then on the lower section where my army was deployed there were woods shaped thusly: ||||||__|||. Fighting the Makedonians on the downslopes of the hills ahead would be to their advantage, so I chose instead to fight in the relatively flat wooded area, hoping that it would break up the Makedonian formations to my advantage.

Once again, my pikemen were deployed in a single long line, with the phalangitai deployed in the center, within the cleared area of the woods, and my Liby-Phoenicians on the flanks of the lines within the wooded areas themselves. My peltastai and Libyan spearmen were in the cleared area between the two sides of the woods, before my pike line; I intended for them to skirmish with and hopefully push back the Korinthos garrison before the Makedonian army proper had enough time to deploy in battle order - whence they would fall into my trap.

To my left there was an enormous hill that towered above the smaller hills in the center of the field. It was some distance ahead of my army and so I devised the trap: when the Makedonian army marched upon my infantry line, my cavalry, hidden within the woods upon the hill, would charge down its slope and wheel around to smash directly into the Makedonian rear!

The Korinthos garrison had arrived. It was time for battle.

Numbering not much more than 600, the garrison, consisting of about equal parts second-line pikemen and peltastai and thorakitai nevertheless began to move against my Libyans, probably as a delaying tactic to screen the deployment of the main army.

My peltastai and Libyans began to throw their spears at the oncoming troops. Though no doubt skilled warriors, and with large shields, there were so many spears flying through the air that one could see the Makedonians try and fail to block a lucky throw.

https://img57.imageshack.us/img57/5016/carthagedodgespear3rh.jpg

I then ordered a charge, and a general melee erupted with the infantry. Ah, my poor Libyans... they pushed the Makedonians further and further back, but still they would not break - and then they were counterattacked by the garrison's pikemen.

Seeing that the main Makedonian army had formed up and was beginning its advance, I called for my infantry to withdraw behind my pike line. They began to do so, but then suddenly the Makedonian cavalry charged them and it became an all-out dash to safety.

I ordered my pikemen to raise their pikes so that my Libyans could get through faster - a risky move, as the Makedonian cavalry was coming closer as they pursued. Only at the last moment did the Libyans make it and I could order my pikes down, right as the Makedonian cavalry were about to crash headlong into my line.

Some did in fact have too much momentum and failed to wheel around in time, thus being speared by my pikemen. But one group of cavalry managed to pull off, and then I saw their magnificent armor, their leader's glorious plumage...

Basileus.

The Makedonian king himself, Alkyoneus, was leading this army!

I must admit that a shiver ran down my spine then. On the one hand, if Alkyoneus were killed in the battle, it would be a devastating blow to the pride of the Makedonians. But on the other hand, this king's experience and many advisors would prove to make him a difficult opponent. He then galloped away, but I could not try and pursue, for the Makedonian pikemen had arrived.

Screams echoed down the line as the pikes of both armies began to find their marks. I decided that now was the time for my hidden cavalry to strike, but just as I was about to blow my horn I looked up...

...and there was the Makedonian king upon the very hill my cavalry were on, guarded by a unit of elite phalangitai. They could not have been more than 50 yards from the edge of the woods - and my cavalry.

Had I been betrayed? Was there a spy in my midst, one who had informed the enemy of my battle plan? Or had Alkyoneus Basileus only chosen the hill because it gave him an excellent view of the battlefield, and was completely unaware of my hidden cavalry?

I admit that I was gripped with indecision, and I stalled. Meanwhile, the situation seemed to be deteriorating; while my pike line was holding well, so was the Makedonian's, and then I saw a small group of Thessalian cavalry and escorting peltastai charge into my left-flank Liby-Phoenicians. If my flank were turned, my army could very well collapse completely. I could not allow this, so I asked the Gods for guidance and then made my orders.

My Libyan spearmen and peltastai in reserve behind my pike line - what few were left, at least - ran to support my left flank. This would give my cavalry the time to move and strike. I blared my battlehorn.

Suddenly over 600 cavalry burst out of the trees and charged down the slope towards the Makedonian king. His pikemen turned to stop the charge, but, as they were facing it from uphill, they hardly slowed my cavalry down, who simply crashed into them and rushed headlong to the Makedonian king. Before he could turn and run my cavalry caught up with him. Though he and his guards fought valiantly, it was in vain. I myself saw the Makedonian king fall, last among all.

Some of the Makedonians cried out, but they were drowned out by the general chaos of the battlefield. Most of them never saw my cavalry smash into their rears.

They broke and ran, their army collapsing altogether. I ordered the entire Army of the Peloponnessian to pursue, and scores of the exhausted Makedonians were cut down by my cavalry, still relatively fresh since they had only just entered the fight.

Bodies and blood were everywhere, soaking the field and my soldiers. I ordered an official count to be made of the dead, my own and the Makedonian. We found 2963 of the enemy dead, including their king Alkyoneus - but at the cost of 601 of our own strewn in the field.

Some of my men demanded that we should send back the Makedonians their king in pieces, but I shamed them into rescinding - the Makedonians had done nothing but face us honorably, and they deserved reciprocation. I insisted that my priests perform the death rites not only over our own dead, but the Makedonians as well. I also sent a wagon with a flag of truce to carry the body of Alkyoneus - whole - to Athens, the nearest Makedonian position.

I hope that the gods will smile upon my decision.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Moros
06-25-2006, 13:25
verry good story! really nice!

Comrade Alexeo
06-26-2006, 10:00
From the private journal of Hiempsal Carales, commander of the Army of the Peloponnessian, 257 Stab

Damn them all! Damn them all to the fiery pits of Hell! Damn them to the Wrath of the Gods! Damn them all!

Those treacherous ingrates! Those vile dogs! Damn the Greeks! Damn them and their children and their children's children!

We may have repulsed their siege of Korinthos utterly, leaving none alive on the field, and I may have sent the bodies of the Greek prince, Doros Aithalidos Attikos, and his brother Nikanor, to Sparte in charred sections of blood and gore, but it is not enough!

The Makedonians at least faced us with honor, but these Greeks deserve nothing but misery and pain!

And the Egyptians too, for they supported their Greek comrades instead of righteously us! I am sure they informed our Shophet Mago with a snivelling rat of a diplomat, walking in with the smug look and gait that all Egyptians possess, who sneered and smiled and cackled as he informed Kart-Hadast of their betrayal!

And Eugenios Rhodos! I fought side-by-side with him! We were brothers of the sword, but now he waits and hides in Sparte, the last Greek city in Greece, acting as if our warriors did not die in each other's arms!

I have heard that he is now the new Prince, the new Kleronomo Arches. I shall have to arrive in Sparte with many gifts of iron...

257 'horef - 256 'horef
Africa and Greece, Karthadestim campaigns

In Africa, Tuat fell, and Charidemo's 72 elephants were driven to madness, their torsos covered in dozens of javelins and spears.

And as Hamalcar I and Hamalcar II continued their march across the desert, they received word by a camel-rider of Egypt's betrayal. Thus the Army of the Mediterranean, once it expunged the Numidians and other desert rats of western Africa, would march on the Pyramids.

In Greece, Sparte fell, and Eugenios was cut down, his head stuck on a pike.

And as Hiempsal rested his forces and hired yet more eager mercenaries ready to fight for the richest empire in the known world, he received word from his spies that Rhodos possessed the largest single garrison in the known world. Thus the Army of the Peloponnessian, once it rearmed and resupplied, would march on the Colossus.

Both armies would show no mercy to their betrayers.

Comrade Alexeo
06-26-2006, 22:32
From the private journal of Hiempsal Carales, 255 Kayits

My opinion of the Makedonians continues to decline every day.

With the betrayal of those Greek dogs, and the Army of the Peloponnessian occupied, the Makedonians could well have used that opportunity to seek a truce and so strengthen their position. But no - instead, they foolishly decided that our attention was divided enough so as to be capitalized upon, and so besieged Korinthos!

Those fools! If Korinthos and Sparte lacked sizable garrisons, or if the Army were already sailing to Rhodos, that is one thing - but neither has been true! Twice now the Makedonians have besieged Korinthos - and twice have I marched upon them, only to see them flee in terror to the north! Not only are they fools, then, but cowards as well.

Now, perhaps, things may change, as the Army has taken to ships and we are sailing for Rhodos even as I write this, leaving the Korinthos garrison to fend for itself.

Somehow, I imagine that it will be safe and sound when we return.

255 Stab
Kart-Hadast, Karthadestim

Mago was playing with his new pet kitten - he was amused to watch its eyes grow and fill when he dangled a simple string in front of it - when he felt his left arm begin to tingle.

Suddenly the cat yeowled in pain, and guards rushed into the Shophet's chambers.

"My liege!"

He did not respond. The guards ran up to him and saw that his left hand was clenched tightly around the small kitten's body, which was why it was crying out in pain. The Shophet's face was also clenched, frozen in a grimace.

"My liege! What is wrong?"
"You there, get the doctor!"
"Sir!"

They pulled at his fingers, and managed to free the kitten from the man's tight grip. It mewed pitifully as it was carried away by one of the guards as the doctor ran in.

"What is happening to him?"
"He is, I, um... he is..."
"Speak sense you cur!"
"He is-"

Then, suddenly, Shophet Mago son of Abdimiliki blinked, and his jaw slackened, and he spoke.

"...but shadows and dust."

And with that, he died. Word was sent immediately to Hamalcar I son of Abdimiliki, now marching to Cydaus, of his accession.

255 Stab
The Battle of Rhodos

A line of lines.

Dozens upon dozens of sarissas gleamed in the sun, as if the stars themselves had decided to witness this great battle.

A wall of walls.

Hundreds upon hundreds of shields obscured their bearers, as if the Gods themselves could not bear to look upon the glorious array of fighting men.

A day of days.

Thousands upon thousands of soldiers deployed in great lines and columns, as if the Universe was a child, playing with immense toy blocks.

A battle of battles.

A Karthadesti general, a Greek King, and a Greek Prince, all leading their men, prepared to fight to their deaths, as if the Fates themselves were guiding them.

Looking upon his army, the Army of the Peloponnessian, Hiempsal Carales had only one thing to say to them.

He saw his phalangitai, deployed as they were in an enormous line, his reliable Liby-Phoenicians, as always, occupying the flanks, but he had only one thing to say to them.

He saw his peltastai and thureophoroi, deployed as they were in front of his pikes, hidden in the trees, waiting to pounce, but he had only one thing to say to them.

He saw his cavalry, just barely, deployed as they were ahead and to the left of his infantry, obscured from sight, ready to once again smash the rear of the enemy, but he had only one thing to say to them.

He raised his sword in his right in, reared his horse up, and cried out:

"WAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRR!"

And the reply of the Army of the Peloponnessian was so great that surely it must have been heard by the Gods themselves. They cried for

ruin, for

wrath, for

glory, for

victory, for

WAR!

Horns blared and trumpets sounded in lustful glory with the screams and cheers and cries of wolves and bears and lion and men and Gods in such grandeur that surely the Colossus itself was shamed.

And even when the Greeks themselves arrived, led by their King and their Prince, larger than the Army of the Peloponnessian by over a thousand men, and cried out in bloodlust as well, even then Hiempsal and his men could not be silenced.

The Greek line extended for what must have been miles as it came closer

closer

closer

closer

closer

WAR!

Suddenly the Greek skirmishers ran into the Karthadestim cavalry, and the Battle of Rhodos began.

The Karthadestim cavalry charged forward and scattered the akonistai to the four winds even as the Greek line found itself under a volley of a score of javelins thrown by the hidden peltastai.

Hundreds of speartips collided with each other and shields and armor and human flesh as the pikemen met and began their deadly waltz of death. Love and passion enflamed the men - love and passion for each other. Comrades worked in horrific efficent timing as they thrusted with all their might. They loved their opponents, as well. They wept when their opponents fell, for what was a soldier without an enemy, what was a soldier without

WAR!

Then the Greek cavalry, led by the royal entourage's, crashed into those of Kart-Hadast. Thessalian fought against Thessalian as the Karthadestim, facing impossible odds, struggled with all their might to hold the line at all costs.

https://img181.imageshack.us/img181/4565/carthagethessalianmelee9lx.jpg

The Karthadestim line's right began to be enveloped by the swarms of the immense Greek line - but the Liby-Phoenicians demonstrated why they were always chosen to defend the flanks, and they stubbornly held, punching their spears into the faces of dozens of ekdromoi that were all around them.

Their resistance heartened all of Kart-Hadast and the tide began to turn as Hiempsal's peltastai and thureophoroi took the upper hand from their counterparts. Soon Greek after Greek began to

slow

halt

withdraw

rout

WAR!

was the cry on the Karthadestim cavalry's lips as they charged back into the fray. Xyston skewered men in so deep that they could not be pulled out, and so swords were drawn and guided by the Gods to the necks of the Greeks. Hoofs cracked into skulls and muddled the minds even as the hopes were shattered.

In a desperate bid, the Greek royals galloped amongst their men, trying in vain to arouse their fire and raise their spirits - but then found themselves pulled from their horses like so many leaves off a tree and cut into slices of gore that were indistinguishable from that of their subjects.

https://img261.imageshack.us/img261/245/carthagegreekking8ja.jpg

The Greek horsemen still capable of doing so galloped away, but there was to be no such deliverance for the infantry - ah, poor beggars, to be thrown away to no end!

Are you hungry?

Are you tired?

Are you wounded?

It doesn't matter, you are a warrior, and you fight in

WAR!

Soon the entire Army of the Peloponnessian began to pursue. The hooves and feet and swords and spears of giants crushed the ants before them. Hiempsal himself led his guards across the battlefield. He began to laugh and scream and bellow and roar all at the same time, almost as if he was in ectasy as the blood gushed and burst into the air.

https://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5807/carthagechase0sn.jpg

To the loss of 438 men, the Army of the Peloponnessian slaughtered over 3700, including a Greek king and his prince. Hiempsal and his guards, in their orgy of massacre, killed over 1000 alone. With the death of the last noble Greek came the death of the Greeks themselves. No more would they bother their world.

No more would they betray their allies.

https://img529.imageshack.us/img529/6724/carthagefieldofdeath4qa.jpg

Reverend Joe
06-27-2006, 21:47
Beautifully done, Alexeo. Epic.

I have also seen, just now, that your "Great War" project has been cancelled. If you still have those files, you should consider sending them to Vercingetorix, or, frankly, anyone who would be interested, and who could finally release a video of those tanks in action. It might raise the project from the dead, just as the AOVAF project was inherited by a new team a month or two after it died.

Comrade Alexeo
06-28-2006, 01:49
Beautifully done, Alexeo. Epic.

I have also seen, just now, that your "Great War" project has been cancelled. If you still have those files, you should consider sending them to Vercingetorix, or, frankly, anyone who would be interested, and who could finally release a video of those tanks in action. It might raise the project from the dead, just as the AOVAF project was inherited by a new team a month or two after it died.

Oh, the project has been dead for so long, and there was so much work that needed to be done on the tanks, let alone everything else, and there was scant interest at best and derision at worst... I think its better to just leave it be. As I'd predicted, WWI simply isn't "cool" enough to garner attention.

Much more promising is my "Antiquity: Total War" idea which I've been tossing around the Mod Discussion forum. It's garnered more attention, and is vastly more feasible, so methinks it might just work :)

(Knock on wood)

Reverend Joe
06-28-2006, 04:45
Still this AAR... it's ****in' beautiful man... like a novel...

Only with pretty pictures. ~D

Comrade Alexeo
06-29-2006, 01:03
(Many thanks for the many compliments :2thumbsup: )

254 abib-252 abib
Africa and Greece, Karthadestim campaigns

Two years passed.

Hamalcar I left his son to finish the African campaign and returned to Kart-Hadast to begin ruling his people as their great judge, their Shophet. Meanwhile, Hamalcar II marched the weary but battle-hardened veterans of the Army of the Mediterranean to Garama, the last Numidian outpost in Africa.

Meanwhile, hundreds of miles to the east, Hiempsal left Rhodos and landed in Greece. His men were too weary from their sailing to aid the besieged Korinthos, but it was not matter - the Makedonian assault was beaten back, with nearly 1100 dead on the walls. Captain Chaeremon, leader of the Karthadestim garrison, had himself lost over 700 - but nearly all of them were merely local akonistai, leaving his core of Libyan spearmen unscathed, whereas the Makedonian dead included many phalangitai and peltastai.

Garama was easily taken, and all of western Africa was firmly in the grip of Kart-Hadast. The Army of the Mediterranean began its long march back to Kart-Hadast. Though they had performed admirably against the Numidians, all knew that they lacked the numbers or resources to embark on any real military campaign after too many years in the desert. Besides, they deserved a rest.

Hiempsal besieged Athenai, and was promptly attacked on two sides by the garrison and reinforcements lead by Philippos, the Makedonian prince. Nevertheless, Hiempsal held the high ground, and so the weary Makedonians, marching uphill only to encounter a wall of pikes, proved no match, and were crushed when the Karthadestim charged.

https://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4231/carthagepikehill1ot.jpg

The Army of the Peloponnessian had, however, lost nearly 300 men when their cavalry, outnumbered and outmatched to begin with, charged Philippos in hopes that they might kill them quickly. Alas, the general proved too much even for Hiempsal's own bodyguard, and when the Makedonian pheradispai moved in just as the Karthadestim were pulling back...

Meanwhile, Philippos had escaped - if barely - and decided, once yet more Makedonian reinforcements arrived, to risk another assault as quickly as he could. He smelled blood - with the Karthadestim cavalry barely extant, they might well be outflanked.

Philippos had, however, not taken into account Hiempsal's veteran Liby-Phoenicians, who always occupied the flanks in his battle line. Once the would-be flankers had been pushed back, the Makedonian's panicked and their formation began to collapse and the Karthadestim pikemen closed in. This time, Philippos would be caught in a vise of spears, and he was finally cut down.

https://img508.imageshack.us/img508/964/carthagemakesurround3va.jpg

Hamalcar II and his tired army finally arrived in Kart-Hadast to much fanfare and celebration. His father informed him and the Army of the Mediterranean to rest and relax while they retrained, requiped, regrew - and were reassigned.

But to where, Shophet Hamalcar son of Abdimilki was not sure...

TO BE CONTINUED...

Ludens
07-12-2006, 12:52
Any progress? This is one of the best R:TW AARs I have seen in a long time.