PDA

View Full Version : Joysticks?

Reenk Roink
06-23-2006, 04:05
Hi :nice:

Well, I am just getting back into some long neglected favorites (Descent: Freespace and Freespace 2) and am finding that a number pad is just not cutting it. I also play Battlefield 2, and am never able to fly because I can't get the controls right.

Can you knowledgable folk give me suggestions on a couple of cheap to midrange joysticks that are easy to use and effective?

Thanks in advance :2thumbsup:

Beirut
06-23-2006, 04:30
Hi :nice:

Well, I am just getting back into some long neglected favorites (Descent: Freespace and Freespace 2) and am finding that a number pad is just not cutting it. I also play Battlefield 2, and am never able to fly because I can't get the controls right.

Can you knowledgable folk give me suggestions on a couple of cheap to midrange joysticks that are easy to use and effective?

Thanks in advance :2thumbsup:

Saitek Cyborg Evo.
http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/cyborg_evo.htm
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/horsesass/saitekevo2.jpg
(It might not look it, but this flightstick is insanely comfortable.)

Have been using one for months as a left hand HOTAS (Hands On throttle And Stick) component. Cheap=$40, yet durable, very comfortable, can be altered for left or right hand & small or big hands, even the buttons can be adjusted for reach. Comes with easy to use custom profile editor allowing one button to do several things. And it looks cool with the red and blue lights. :yes:

Google some reviews. Everyone gives this stick top marks. Much better than any Logitech product IMHO.

Uesugi Kenshin
06-23-2006, 04:35
That stick is awesome! I use it as my one and only joystick and have had no complaints. It is comfortable, centers well, and has a good button layout. Plus if you are left-handed you can take it apart and make it left-handed, which is a much better solution than some of Saitek's ambidextrous sticks, which really just suck for everyone because they are symmetrical side to side.

Reenk Roink
06-23-2006, 17:48
Thanks guys :nice:

Everything I saw on Amazon was Logitech, but I'll be taking this $40 baby home now... :2thumbsup:

Beirut
06-24-2006, 00:47
Let us know when you've got it. Always happy to hear reviews.

hoom
06-24-2006, 05:24
I still have my M$ precision 2, haven't been using it much & the #1 button hasn't been working properly from the start but it works ok for me.
Must say, chances are its replacement will be a variant of Cyborg, they are very nice.

Alexander the Pretty Good
07-19-2006, 01:37
That spring at the base of the stick looks fragile. Any problems with it, guys? I have a Logitech Wingman which is amazing except the twist axis is screwy, making it very difficult to play some games, especially older ones like Tie Fighter that don't let you disable the axis.

[/Resurrection]

Beirut
07-19-2006, 02:45
It's a very well made flightstick. Not fragile at all. I've had no problems with mine.

Uesugi Kenshin
07-19-2006, 03:47
The stick is pretty robust, you don't need to take any extra precautions with it.

One of my friends has bought a HOTAS joystick of some sort from Saitek, I'm probably going to pick it up for a test-drive while he's away, so I'll give a full review after I've tried it out.

Beirut
07-19-2006, 10:57
One of my friends has bought a HOTAS joystick of some sort from Saitek, I'm probably going to pick it up for a test-drive while he's away, so I'll give a full review after I've tried it out.

Looking forward to it.

Uesugi Kenshin
07-22-2006, 05:10
Okay I've had the joystick for about two days and have gotten some time in with it, so I'll give you a preliminary review.

It is a refurbished Saitek X52 http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/x52.htm

I don't have enough time with it to really dig into the more complex feature like the three modes you can switch between on the fly, or the game profiles that you can create, but that's all icing.

The stick itself is very well made, though it was a bit uncomfortable at first. I really like how the trigger can be puchsed down part way and all the way for two different functions. I use the first one for machine guns and the second for guns and cannon and it works quite well. Also the stick is very stable and I think it is better for precision gunnery than my Cyborg Evo. The safety cover for the button I use for bombs is also a nice touch, it feels really good to lift it as I'm diving in for the kill, drop the bombs and then flick it back when I'm done. The layout of some of the buttons is a little bit funky, and I can never imagine using the ones on the base because they just aren't handy if you have one hand on the stick and the other on the throttle, but someone with more HOTAS experience may find some use for them, or they could be good for things such as flaps and gear. Hmmm other thoughts on the actual joystick....Not too much else yet I guess, after a while it begins to get really comfortable and feels really real I guess. I guess what makes it more real is that it has raised buttons rather than flat ones.

On to the Throttle thingy. This part of the HOTAS rig is a bit less comfortable, and the position of some of the buttons and dials seems quite odd, but that is probably just because I am on my second day with it. The throttle bit itself is very comfortable (if you don't try to reach for buttons or anything) and moves very smoothly. Many of the buttons are very conveniently placed, but those on the back side of the of the rig are hard to reach, for now, and no I don't have tiny hands, they just aren't positioned in a particularly natural spot for me at this point, though that would probably change if I had a lot of time with it. It also has a nifty little stick that functions as a mouse, but it moves the screen (the look feature in IL-2) so slowly that I usually just reached for my trackball mouse when I wanted to look out the side to survey the damage I'd done.

That's it for now I'll post again either tonight (it is a wee bit past midnight here) or Sunday (when I must return it) to let you know if I've acclimated to it anymore, or have anything else to share about it.

Beirut
07-22-2006, 10:24
Good review.

You've picked out more real world problems than I've read in the reviews. Still, I'd love to get my hands on that setup and see how well I could get it to work.

Concerning the stick mouse, is the sensitivity adjustable?

How is the resistance (fluidity?) of the throttle? When using my Saitek Evo as a throttle, the middle position (center rest) is 50%, pulling back brings it down to 0% and pushing forward is 100%% + WEP. It's very smooth backward and forwards and gives me great control over speed. When tailing a 109, I can play the speed up and down very quickly and accurately and maintain a 6 o'clock position. Does the X52 throttle let you run from 0 to 100 and back and forth smoothly or does it get clunky and rock around on the table?

No question, having more time to get used to the setup and play with the profiles would really let you find the sweet spots. (So don't give it back. Tell your buddy your dog ate it.)

Uesugi Kenshin
07-22-2006, 18:20
If only he'd believe my dog ate it and not demand $80....

Anyway the sensitivity of the throttle is adjustable via an easy to reach knob, and it runs very smoothly and quickly. It is nearly impossible to move the stick or throttle when using them because they have suction cups on the bottom, so that is not an issue at all unless you twist the stick really hard and fast.

I haven't checked if the sensitivity on the stick mouse is adjustable, but I will check that out tonight. It looks like I'll have several hours alone with it since my parents will be out and all of my friends are busy.

Uesugi Kenshin
07-24-2006, 02:35
Okay, the joystick has been returned and shall be missed.

I never found a way to change the sensitivity of the ministick mouse, and I doubt it is possible, but if my friend ever mentions it I'll let you know.

Overall the joystick and Throttle box were very comfortable and fairly functional, and with profiles would have been much better. If anyone is in the market for a good HOTAS setup I'd suggest this one.

Oh, and Beirut, if you ever want a more conventional HOTAS setup you should definately check out the X52, you could even get a feel for it at a store first to be sure.

Beirut
07-24-2006, 03:51
Oh, and Beirut, if you ever want a more conventional HOTAS setup you should definately check out the X52, you could even get a feel for it at a store first to be sure.

Oh I've felt it up already at the store. The flightstick is nice enough but the throttle felt really nice. Love all the buttons and versatility. But as long as my MS FFB2 lasts, it's my flightstick of choice. When it dies, I'm getting a Saitek Evo FFB. Once you've flown with FFB there's no going back. When flying a P-47 or a FW-190, the FFB keeps the banking stalls away very nicely.

Reenk Roink
07-24-2006, 14:39
Just recieved my joystick today. :2thumbsup:

I'll be taking it on it's maiden voyage shortly enough...

Thanks to Beirut and Uesugi Kenshin once again... :bow:

Uesugi Kenshin
07-25-2006, 02:31
No problem Reenk Roink!

Oh I just sort of stay away from the banking stalls by feel anyway, since I spend a lot of time on one plane it is a bit easier, and my speakers provide a bit of force-feedback when I throttle down my engines anyway...

Uesugi Kenshin
07-27-2006, 22:43
The ministick's sensitivity is adjustable.

Yep that's about it.

Beirut
07-27-2006, 23:49
Cool.

Far as I see, Saitek is pretty good with the small things like that.

Uesugi Kenshin
07-28-2006, 01:53
Yeah, I didn't really think they'd overlook that, but you never know...