PDA

View Full Version : a newb to PBEM

Patriarch of Constantinople
07-03-2006, 06:49
hi im new at this and was wondering if anyone had tips for me. i was thinking of making a rise of persia campaign playing as persians. Can anyone give me tips on how i should organise it? thanks

Avicenna
07-03-2006, 08:02
Might be a problem, since I don't think there are any mods for the era before Persia's rise. Try having a look at the RTR forums (http://forums.rometotalrealism.org) or the Total War Center (http://twcenter.net) for a mod that would suit the timescale. Then you have to decide whether it's a traditional PBM, ie players switching reigns, or Myrddral's new type, one where each player controls a faction. Then you'll probably have to set some house rules, to avoid winning too early so only a few people can play, and to make the campaign more interesting.

econ21
07-03-2006, 14:48
If you are thinking of the Persians in Alexander Total War, you might find there are not enough players as few people seem to have bought that expansion. Parthia in RTW or the Sassanids in BI (both Persians of a kind, AFAIK) might be more feasible and arguably interesting.

In terms of running a PBM here, the key thing is getting half a dozen reliable players signed up before you start and then taking an active role keeping the game progressing. The most common problem with PBMs is lack of interest, often when someone takes the savegame and then disappears for weeks. Introducing some houserules, as Tiberius says, would be good. The one's I'd recommend in particular are no retraining, no extermination and historical armies (the RTR forums have a great thread in their tips and tactics sub-forum on that theme). I'd recommend players reign for only 20 turns - anymore and it is too exhausting (and exclusive).

You might think about going with a non-Roman faction in the Metropolis/Naval mod for RTR Platinum, as about 9 of us have that currently installed for the Will of the Senate campaign and it seems to be favorably received compared to the vanilla game (see the FAQ for that campaign for installation details).

Avicenna
07-03-2006, 16:42
The Parthians aren't quite Persians, even though they settled in the rough area as the Persians did. I think it was Steppe Merc, but I can't be sure, who said that they were nomadic, and so explaining the different style of fighting (horse archers and heavy cavalry, as opposed to a whole bunch of ragtag peasants with assorted 'professional' troops from throughout the whole empire). The Sassanids are Persians, but I don't think enough people have BI in the community who have time for a PBM.

Some quick browsing through the TW communities I linked you to in the last post should give a mod for RTW that fits your time. Or, better still, find you a time that you think is more interesting and that you think others will find more interesting too.

Patriarch of Constantinople
07-03-2006, 19:46
No i meant theres a mod ive been playing called Rise of Persia