PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Laptop and need help!

littlelostboy
07-06-2006, 12:57
I'm sorry about this intruding. This has got nothing to do with RTW or any of the Total War series or mod. Recently my laptop has been infected with something, a virus, worm or trojan, don't know which one. Basically, what happen is that when I switch on the comp, and it loads up, only the wallpaper shows and the desktop icons or toolbar do not appear. Sometimes, everything uploads but the hourglass beside the mouse pointer keeps blinking. This goes on forever! Like something is trying to upload but will not do it. Also, when I click on the some of the icons, the files, folder or program will not open or respond. I've managed to used McAfee to quaratined most of the files and delete some of them. What I'm worried now is that this can be a virus that McAfee can't get rid off or maybe I delete something in the process. Can anyone help? Thanks.

tibilicus
07-06-2006, 13:18
try this anti trojan tool www.ewido.net. Also try an online virus scanner. It seems you have been hit bad though so if the problems still persisit after this you will have to download a program called hijackthis. If you do download hijackthis and run it you can post your log here and I can then find some one who can read your log and determine what your problem is and help you remove it. Check around this site for hijackthis. http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/index.html.

Also what is your full system protection i.e anti virus, anti spyware firewall and so on.

If you need any help jsut psot back.

Tib

tibilicus
07-06-2006, 13:21
I also forgot to add ewido comes as a 20 day trial version after that you can either purchase it or keep it as a free on dmeand scanner minus the resident sheild and automatci updates. manual updates are still availible however.

littlelostboy
07-06-2006, 14:03
What is hijackthis? Is it a reliable program. Also, how am I going to install the program into the laptop when the icons are not working well and when stuff just don't open (most of the time)?

tibilicus
07-06-2006, 14:43
Yes hijack this is a relible program and have you tried seeing if the icons show up in safe mode?

littlelostboy
07-07-2006, 02:24
Safe mode? The thing is that most of the time I can see the icons but it won't work when I click on it to open something.

tibilicus
07-07-2006, 15:18
Safe mode? The thing is that most of the time I can see the icons but it won't work when I click on it to open something.

To acces safe mdoe when your pc is booting hold down f8 which brings you to a windows options menue. The select start in safe mode. Also can you start a program via any other method?

Geezer57
07-07-2006, 16:21
When using HijackThis! for malware removal, littlelostboy should keep in mind that it is an advanced utility, and that it's easy to muck things up in your computer if you don't know what you're doing with it. Before doing anything other than a scan with it, I'd recommend going over to the CastleCops forums ( http://www.castlecops.com/ ), and doing some careful reading for a bit. You can also post a log of your scan there, and maybe someone more knowledgeable will walk you through the fix. There are lots of good folks out there who hate malware and are willing to donate their time fighting it.

tibilicus
07-07-2006, 16:42
When using HijackThis! for malware removal, littlelostboy should keep in mind that it is an advanced utility, and that it's easy to muck things up in your computer if you don't know what you're doing with it. Before doing anything other than a scan with it, I'd recommend going over to the CastleCops forums ( http://www.castlecops.com/ ), and doing some careful reading for a bit. You can also post a log of your scan there, and maybe someone more knowledgeable will walk you through the fix. There are lots of good folks out there who hate malware and are willing to donate their time fighting it.

Was jsut going to say the same thing yellowhammer is pro with Hijackthislogs.

Tib

littlelostboy
07-08-2006, 00:30
My laptop is kinda okay now, kinda. The other night, I left the laptop on the whole time so that it could like boot up whatever it had to load up. Well, it worked a bit. So now my laptop is kinda working properly but I really really want to be sure I got rid of those pesky programs. Any suggestion beside using Hijackthis? Cause I'm not really good at programs and comp and I'm afriad of screwing up the laptop.

Geezer57
07-09-2006, 02:06
My standard spyware security set-up involves installation of both AdAware SE Personal ( http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ ) and Spybot - Search & Destroy ( http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html ). Make sure to also download the latest updates for each (or you can update from within each application after installation). I also like to use the free version of ZoneAlarm as a firewall ( http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload2.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en ) - the Pro version isn't worth the $$$$ or hassle for a home machine. Add to those any good-quality antivirus, keep them all updated, browse carefully, and you should be 99% safe from malware.

littlelostboy
07-09-2006, 03:49
I hate my iffy laptop. My laptop is always fine for like, ten minutes, everything is working perfectly. After that, I can't open anything. Files, folders, programs... even when I click the icons on the desktop, nothing happens! Even more irritating is that the hourglass keeps blinking beside the mouse pointer. I tried, tried, tried everything. I scan my comp like three times, first time using McAfee, two times using Spy Emergency. I even defragment my comp, thinking that maybe the memory space was just slowing down the laptop but nothing worked! I don't want to download anymore programs, seriously, this is extremely annoying, what can I do?

tibilicus
07-09-2006, 13:01
Google houscall and it should give you a link to an online virus scanner. See if that does anything.

Tib