PDA

View Full Version : Javelin unit question

orwell
07-07-2006, 22:42
If I wanted to replace the basic akon.... diadochi javelin unit with a better one that still uses javelins as its primary weapon, would I go with maybe peltasti? Or is there another unit that could fill the role of javelin thrower and still be able to hold the line till I can get a more powerful unit there?

Elthore
07-07-2006, 23:54
I found it best to use a combinations of theuropoi and peltasti, maybe some thoraktai type unit if you have access to them. Also, celts if you can get some.

The trick is managing their formations, watch how you group them. You can put theuropoi(sp), and peltasts in one group and put them in column at the edges. This lets you quickly put them in position with either one at the front depending on the situation(scrim or melee)

Cheexsta
07-08-2006, 09:16
Peltastai are great light infantry, I find. Once they've used all their javelins they can usually be used as main line reinforcements if you absolutely need them. Akontistai, on the other hand, are just about useless once their javelins are used. Thureophoroi are also good choices, but remember that their javelins are precursor weapons, meaning they will charge after you order them to throw them. If you don't want them to do that, just order them to Fire At Will or just order them to attack an enemy then hit backspace after they've thrown the javelins. As an added bonus, Thureophoroi have spears as their secondary weapons, making them excellent emergency anti-cavalry troops.

orwell
07-08-2006, 10:18
I found it best to use a combinations of theuropoi and peltasti, maybe some thoraktai type unit if you have access to them. Also, celts if you can get some.

The trick is managing their formations, watch how you group them. You can put theuropoi(sp), and peltasts in one group and put them in column at the edges. This lets you quickly put them in position with either one at the front depending on the situation(scrim or melee)

How do you/any reader generally deploy a phalanx based army? Is there more to it than just a line of phalanxes with, before I switch to a different unit, Akontistai behind them and calvary on either edge? Should I put my infantry on the ends or just spread out behind my phalanxes? Is there much more to attack with phalanxes than just keeping the line together and swinging your calvary into the back?

Musopticon?
07-08-2006, 22:36
I find that the best way to go against the enemy is the old alexandrian method, but you can variate a bit, like marching phalanxes in two lines and encasing the enemy. Echelon works too and I think I managed once to thin the enemy center enough that I could push through the middle with cavalry and follow up with light troops.

Eh, the battle model and AI is pretty much based over phalanx-cavalry-support troops(or rock paper scissors) though.

Elthore
07-09-2006, 05:07
I was gonna just say the samething. Alexanders battle orders are pretty solid, and if you try to understand why he did certain things, you can apply them to RTW.

I personally try to have distinct wings, each fairly capable on its own, with a set task for each squadron in relation with other squads and wings. They are usually made up a prominent unit, but can have other units attached to it for support in accomplishing its set goal. This is what a typical echeolon right engagement might be ordered like on flat terrain:

(#+Letter+Units) = The # here is the squad number, Letter designates the wing. Units mentioned are suggestions for prominent unit types.

(L)eft Wing
(1L-light cav. and light inf.) (2L-skirmishers) (3L-light and med inf.)

(C)entre Wing
(4C-Phalanx)(5C-heavy Phalanx)

(R)ight Wing
(6R-med and heavy inf.) (7R-skirmishers) (8R-heavy cav.)

Now, their tasks:

1L: The cavarly in this squad will take their time in advancing, and afterwards remain almost stationary harrasing the enemy. They will also feign retreats when neccesary. The infantry(preferably spearmen) will engage any targets of opportunity, supported by the cav, but must not move themselves too far from the skirmishers(in 2L) on their right. Goal of this squad is to stop any flanking attempts by enemy cav, and to support the skirmishers on their right.

2L: This squad is made up mainly of foot based skirmishers, with a small amount of light melee troops. They should retreat towards their left in the direction of 1L if threatened. Doing this will force the enemy to make a choice, to either chase them away from the main phalanx and risk attack by 1L or to advance towards the left of the main phalanx(3L) and be engaged from behind.

3L: Acting as the typical 'left flank', these troops should be ready to hold a battle line. They should lead their wing. Their primary goal is to prevent the flanking of the phalanx, and to flank the enemy if possible. In this engagement they would probably be theuropoi or peltasts or kluddon, but in a different battle order could contain heavier troops like thoraktai.

4C: This is the main phalanx, drawn out in a consistant line. Any units not able to maintain the required depth are put on the right to the rear as reserves. I like to assign a unit of non-phalanx heavy inf to the left here, if availiable, that will stay VERY close to the phalanx.

5C: These guys are the elite phalanx, they will lead the army into the enemy battle line. They might break formation to speed up their movement.

6R: Made up of all the heavier troops not fighting in phalanx. They will march with the lead phalanx, covering their right and 'round the edge' of the enemy line once they have met.

7R: Plain ol' skirmishers. These guys might have started earlier infront of the army...skirmishing. They shouldn't advance past 6R, and should stay close to them covering their rear.

8R: This squad will charge past the lead phalanx just prior to the lines meeting. They should engage any enemy cav facing them and return to crash into the enemy line opposite of the lead phalanx. The general will most likely be placed here.

....pphew....this is just one example, for a certain type of engagement. The point is really setting a goal for each group of units and not just a target enemy. If you read the whole deal, you would notice that the groups on the left had more defensive, or harrassing tasks. This works for this engagement because they would be the staying more towards the rear, and thus can be made up of much lighter or inexperienced troops.

Is there much more to attack with phalanxes than just keeping the line together and swinging your calvary into the back?
To answer your question simply, no. There isnt anymore to keeping the phalanx together, but there is lots more to a phalanx army fighting at this time.

Hope this makes sense, im pretty tired right now, wanted to post up a replay of me showing it in action but im having some probs with EB right now. It is only an example of the tactics involved in fighting a specific battle order, a different strategy would have you fighting in a completely different way. If anyone has any differing tactics, please share.

Heres something to think about: http://www.livius.org/a/1/maps/issus_map.gif