PDA

View Full Version : Connection Problems

John86
07-09-2006, 01:19
Hey,
Recently Ive been having terrible lag and connection problems. In Guild Wars, my character will freeze, but I still can watch everything around. Its very odd, its as if I have a partial connection. My internet will fail ever few minutes or so as well. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Hiji

Blodrast
07-09-2006, 01:28
I haven't played GW, but keep something in mind: a bunch of stuff (most of it actually) is modeled/rendered on the client side; the server only sends you updates about stuff, e.g. perhaps new monsters spawning in your neighbourhood, other players, etc. But most of the environment is most likely modeled on your machine. So even if your network connection dies, you will still be able to do some stuff, namely anything that doesn't involve the server.

That was the explanation for the apparently "partial connection" you were experiencing.

Now as for the actual problem, hard to say. Do a checkup of your system to see if you have any spyware or malware.
Are you using a firewall ? Check its logs, see if it reports anything that might seem weird.

The problems may be related to your router (if you have one), or your ISP. Do you lose connection when just surfing around the net ? Check with your ISP to see if they have been experiencing service interruptions or some such.

Until you localize the problem, it's hard to figure out what the solution is.

John86
07-09-2006, 01:36
I haven't played GW, but keep something in mind: a bunch of stuff (most of it actually) is modeled/rendered on the client side; the server only sends you updates about stuff, e.g. perhaps new monsters spawning in your neighbourhood, other players, etc. But most of the environment is most likely modeled on your machine. So even if your network connection dies, you will still be able to do some stuff, namely anything that doesn't involve the server.

That was the explanation for the apparently "partial connection" you were experiencing.

Now as for the actual problem, hard to say. Do a checkup of your system to see if you have any spyware or malware.
Are you using a firewall ? Check its logs, see if it reports anything that might seem weird.

The problems may be related to your router (if you have one), or your ISP. Do you lose connection when just surfing around the net ? Check with your ISP to see if they have been experiencing service interruptions or some such.

Until you localize the problem, it's hard to figure out what the solution is.

Good point about GW, put im talking about PvP (Player vs Player). The other players can chat, I can read it, but I cant chat, and Im frozen.

How can I check my firewall Logs? My father, who uses the same router as I, has no troubles at all, so its not a ISP problem.

Thanks again,
Hiji

Blodrast
07-11-2006, 00:35
If your router also acts as your firewall, then it usually has a section called "Logs". You might have to enable it, it's not always enabled by default. You might also need to mess a bit with the logging level (how verbose/detailed you want the logging to be).

It's strange that your father is using it and has no problems, but you said that you had problems while surfing the net. Is your father using the same computer, or only the same router ? If it's the same computer, is there any one particular application that you always (or most of the time) will be running, but not your dad ?

Is it _always_ the case that you can't send messages, but you can receive them ? Or is it both ? I'm trying to figure out if it could be that your router, for whatever reasons, is dropping packets - that should usually be both incoming and outgoing. I can't think of a reason why it would become overloaded just one way (I don't think that even extensive packet filtering rules can slow a router for a home network that much...).

Is for some reason your home network really overloaded ? Are you connected to your router via a wireless link ?

Sorry, I don't have any specific solutions.

John86
07-18-2006, 03:21
My father just used the same router.

I moved to virginia, new internet service etc... seems to work fine. Maybe it was an isp problem....

Blodrast
07-18-2006, 16:51
cool, glad to hear all's well now, thanks for letting us know :2thumbsup: