PDA

View Full Version : Shogun Online - Gold and Era's versions

barocca
07-15-2006, 14:16
Konnichiwa all :bow:

i recently bought TotalWar Era's AND a copy of Shogun Gold

the copies of Shogun are ALMOST identical,
identical enough to be able to play off each others DVD's !!!!
thats good news

BOTH have multiplayer via lan enabled
more good news

the bad news
BOTH have multiplayer via internet disabled

NOW
i am AS I POST THIS sitting in the foyer on R'as server using my copy of Shogun from the Era's pack

i have figured out how to re-enable multiplayer via intenet

PROBLEMS
Fat32 - it would appear that Shogun must reside on fat32 partition.
(it flatly refused to connect from an ntfs partition)
not too much of a problem, you should be able to locate a freeware partition manager to allow you to make a fat32 partition
(Shogun was written in 98/99, so thats not a real surprise.)

i need another player in the foyer so i can test versions,
i did have hunter tomi with me, but he had to go attend to real life,
R'as was with me for a while too
(three on the server at once - quite a crowd!!!)

so for the moment Gold can access the foyer, but we got a network mismatch (version conflict)

so i will be fiddling with version files and would appreciate if anyone has time to muck around on the problem with me by connecting to R'as server and trying to host/join game with me THEN please give me a holler regarding when (GMT)

many thanks
B.

barocca
07-15-2006, 14:31
that is drop a post here or send me a pm
cheers,
B.

Shaka_Khan
07-15-2006, 14:42
...so for the moment Gold can access the foyer, but we got a network mismatch (version conflict)...

Perhaps you could fix that by downloading the patch; or maybe you did that already.

By the way, I still can't get into the new server. ~:mecry:

barocca
07-15-2006, 15:20
Gold is already patched
what i have to do is figure out which files are checked to generate a network mismatch

when loggin into the server you need to ensure shogun IS on a fat32 partition,
AND
ensure your firewall is either configure to let message from shogun and the server pass back and forth (i dont know how to do that)
OR disable the firewall,
AND
when you get to the "loggin in" notification that means the server can see you
what you need to do then is clcik the "go back" corner bit and reconnect quickly,
if you have NOT "logged on" within 5 seconds do it again

3 to 6 attempts is normal

B.

Tomisama
07-15-2006, 22:27
ensure your firewall is either configure to let message from shogun and the server pass back and forth (i dont know how to do that)
OR disable the firewall,
This link tells you how.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308127

But if I remember right, playing and hosting on the FS, that it does not make any difference.

Firewall and router in place, I could play.

But I had to physically bypass my LAN router, directly connecting to my cable modem, to be able to host.

But having my firewall up or not, did not matter, or help at all.

We will have to test :wink:

Trajanus
07-16-2006, 09:08
I'm more than happy to help testing. R'as explained that last week there was a problem with the server which is most likely why I couldn't connect.

I will try again this week and if successful I'm happy to help.

P.S. My time zone is GMT +7 (Daylight saving time) I work 10-6 weekdays.

barocca
07-16-2006, 09:33
curent time is GMT 08:30 16-july
i am available until 13:00 GMT 16-july

then again from 08:30 GMT 17-july until 13:00 GMT 17-july

i "should" be available from 03:00 GMT-18 july to 06:00 18-july
and "possibly" from 08:30 GMT 18-july until 13:00 GMT 18-july

Tomisama
07-16-2006, 15:39
A bit confusing with international date line interference I’m afraid.

GMT is clear enough, but when you say the 16th or the 17th, are you giving the date at your +10 location, or Greenwich Mean?

For example:

Like right now it is a little after 9 AM at my - 5 location (-6 during standard time) on the 16th.

GMT is after 2 PM (15:XX) on the 16th.

But for you it is after 12 AM on the 17th.

So you can see why I ask.

What a mess :laugh:

Is that you there now?

barocca
07-17-2006, 07:46
i use the date AT GMT,
where i live it is GMT +10

right now it is 06:40 GMT 17 july
(where i live it is 16:40 GMT 17 july)

i have set the time perferemce in UserCP/options to GMT so the litle clock down the bottom of the page, and dates shown on posts, are all in GMT

barocca
07-25-2006, 21:11
ok guys
i asked Sega about getting Shogun Gold online,
their response was their are no official servers for it,
AND to go TO totalwar.org and see if their are any unofficial servers and for tech advice on connecting to them

THAT IS US LOT

so if we want to get those peeps who bought GOLD onto the servers AND capable of playing games i need some help testing it please
i can't do it myself,
i need people to HOST GAMES for me to try and connect TO
and people to try and connect to MY HOSTED GAMES

i am going to have to patch/mod something, but exactly what i have not figured out yet, and i cannot figure it out twiddling my thumbs.

anyone care to lend a hand please?

Cha
07-26-2006, 12:55
I could be here at 16:00 GMT and 5:00 GMT.

R'as al Ghul
07-26-2006, 13:25
ok guys
AND to go TO totalwar.org and see if their are any unofficial servers and for tech advice on connecting to them

THAT IS US LOT
:wall: :laugh4: :wall: :laugh4: :wall: :laugh4: :wall: :laugh4:
Unbelievable. :no:

anyone care to lend a hand please?

You know how to reach me. :smile:

Cha
07-26-2006, 16:23
Is anybody here?

Cha
07-27-2006, 09:23
Gold is already patched...
Are you sure it's Version 1.02? 1.01 is the official version while 1.02 is the beta version. Gold might be 1.01 instead of 1.02. (Or was it 1.12? It was a long time ago. I forgot).

ok guys

THAT IS US LOT...
I think there'll be many gamers who will give up instead of asking Sega. Those gamers might not know about this website. Somehow we will have to do some sort of advertising for the people who haven't asked Sega. It would be nice if Totalwar.com would make it easy for people to notice this site.

Puzz3D
07-27-2006, 19:02
Are you sure it's Version 1.02?
Yes, STW Gold is v1.02. I checked the unit stats.

Tomisama
07-28-2006, 02:04
i need people to HOST GAMES for me to try and connect TO
and people to try and connect to MY HOSTED GAMES
I have put together a permanent work-around to bypass my router with my game computer, and still have other computers routed with no extra charge from my cable company.

It required a 4 port hub ($30) and an extra cable.

The hub goes between my cable modem and the router, with the hub’s uplink plugged into my cable modem.

My game computer is attached directly to the hubs port 1, and the WAN output of my router to the hub’s port 2.

All other computers are plugged into the router ports 2 and up. I am not sure if it was necessary to skip router port 1 (where my game computer was plugged in before), but thought it wise.

So far it works great, and I am looking forward to being able to host STW games without the fuss of disconnecting and reconnecting everything.

Will be looking to test this, though I am sure it will work fine :smile:

When can we get together B?

Puzz3D
07-28-2006, 03:57
I have put together a permanent work-around to bypass my router with my game computer, and still have other computers routed with no extra charge from my cable company.

It required a 4 port hub ($30) and an extra cable.

The hub goes between my cable modem and the router, with the hub’s uplink plugged into my cable modem.

My game computer is attached directly to the hubs port 1, and the WAN output of my router to the hub’s port 2.
You're going to have problems with that configuration unless your ISP is giving you two ip addresses. Also, you're probably violating your contract with them. They will provide more than one ip address, but usually charge about $10/month for 3 ip addresses.

In addition, you are loosing the firewall protection that the router provides. A better solution is to enable the proper ports for the game to run, or just enable DMZ for the machine's ip address that you use to host the game while you are playing and then disable it when you are finished playing.

R'as al Ghul
07-28-2006, 11:08
I'm a bit puzzled about how people connect.
Tomi, now you bought a third network device. You now have a dsl-modem, a router and a network hub. Each of them should be able to establish an internet connection (not entirely sure about the hub here).

This is (part of) my setup:
telephone socket in wall ->dsl-splitter (splits voice and data)->router>PC

My router dials in, it has stored my log and pass and it keeps a permanent connection (flatrate). Whenever I want to actually use that connection I open an application like Firefox and am immediatly online.

Now, you have two more devices than I have and I'd like to know why that is.
Your router should be able to serve more than one PC. It also should be possible to configure the rules for each connected PC.
What you need to do when you want to host is to let people know what your IP is. the problem with routers is that they are a network device on their own and thus have also an IP.
When Shogun transmits the IP to let others join your game, it always will transmit the PC's IP. But the only IP visible is that of your router. The game will be invisble to others.
To bypass that you have to use either DMZ (haven't worked with that) or tell your router to use a different connection mode. My router offers me the option to connect as a dial-in-modem. It will then serve as a part of the PC and will not have an IP on its own. I posted this also in the Shogun MP section under how to host.
Perhaps you could tell me your router's and modem's model names, I'd like to check their manuals and see if they offer such options.

:bow:

P.S: Well, if your setup works for you and your ISP doesn't charge you extra, you may as well use it as is.

Puzz3D
07-28-2006, 21:35
All other computers are plugged into the router ports 2 and up. I am not sure if it was necessary to skip router port 1 (where my game computer was plugged in before), but thought it wise.
Wisdom requires knowledge.

Most routers that have a built-in hub are administered through port 1. With no machine plugged into port 1, you can't configure the router. Configuring the router to forward the required ports to your game machine will allow you to host. A list of the required ports is around here somewhere. To facillitate that, set up the router to always give your game machine a particular local ip address since port forwarding is done to an ip address. You can also resort to enabling DMZ which forwards all ports to a particular machine on the LAN side, although doing that removes the firewall protection the router provides. A hub provides no protection against network worms or hackers. I would return the hub and put the money towards a better router if your router is limited in how it can be configured.

Drisos
08-07-2006, 16:24
YIIIIIIHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :horn: :elephant:

Mr Shambles helped me create a Fat32 partition and I installed shogun on it... after about 5 failed tries it suddenly said 'logged in' in stead of 'logging in...' which cause me to get a happiness-attack meaning I was jumping around like the elephant above.. ~:) :laugh4: :balloon2:

this is nice.. I can finally play again!

I'd like to say a big thanks to R'as, for spending so much time to help me.

I look very much forward to some games.. I will be easy to defeat after about 9 months of no games lol ~:) :embarassed: I'll post on the forum when I'll have some free hours ~:)

R'as al Ghul
08-07-2006, 16:39
:elephant:

Cheers to that, mate.
I just PM'ed you but this explains it all.
Welcome back.

~:cheers:

R'as

Tomisama
08-14-2006, 02:01
Unbelievable!!!

Congratulations Drisos :2thumbsup:

We all may be joining you soon, as the Samurai Mod for VI seems to be almost unplayable. For some reason we are plagued with desync problems. It wasn’t like that before, but it is now actually more difficult to play Mod than the original game.

Anyone agree with me. Or am I just too tired from wasting all afternoon trying to play (again) :sad:

Puzz3D
08-14-2006, 15:23
We all may be joining you soon, as the Samurai Mod for VI seems to be almost unplayable. For some reason we are plagued with desync problems. It wasn’t like that before, but it is now actually more difficult to play Mod than the original game.

Anyone agree with me. Or am I just too tired from wasting all afternoon trying to play (again).
Let's just end Samurai Wars for now. The mod does work, but in the past 3 weeks we've had 5 players, including me, with problems that cause desync or crashes during the battles, which ends up wasting time for everyone trying to play. I think the desync and install issues will diminish when the new version of STWmod is released, and maybe we could try Samurai Wars again at that time. Thanks very much for all your efforts Tomi to promote Samurai Wars.

If you want to return to STW/MI for the Shogun CWC event, I suggest you make some rules that balance the gameplay as much as possible as was done in the Knight of Valor event for MTW/VI. The 4 guns, no yari ashi, 10000 koku is not the best, and as far as I'm concerned stinks. The STW/MI v1.02 online community quickly declined less than half the size it it was under original STW.

Drisos
08-18-2006, 10:05
Logging in takes me lots of attempts sometimes. That is, dozens:juggle2:

But I don't really mind.. as long as I can have some games ~:) I have some evenings free here and there will try to inform people through the forums and email on it. ~:)

:bow:

moomo
03-23-2007, 14:06
I think this thread should have also the solution that was posted by R'as as a new thread on the mainpage of the forum (the blue:laugh4: link...:yes:)

So if you have STW GOLD in order to put back the Internet (EA Play) option in the Multiplayer menu follow this and the the instructions provided at the page:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1474960#post1474960

You can find informations about the current fake-server all over the place. I feel like making a new link but I won't.