PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare Scenario Ideas

Dol Guldur
07-16-2006, 00:47
Let us assume, if we may, that there's no way of modding CAS files (if that's what they are) in M2TW...what modification ideas would then be practical? List your ideas here...

For example, a (romantic age) King Arthur is a possibility...
Crusade-based mods another....

shifty157
07-16-2006, 04:11
If this were true then I believe the modding community would fizzle and die off. Though its arguable, I do believe CA has enough intelligence not to kill us off entirely.

Silver Rusher
07-16-2006, 09:50
I hope CA has seen what the modding community has been able to do with CAS files, realised that this is only possible because of the mod-god Vercingetorix (we may not be so lucky as to have such a genius within our ranks next time around, and even if we do, it is likely that even they won't have a clue what to do) and used a more friendly file format! I really don't see why they put all those files in .CAS format anyway. We had a lucky escape with RTW.

Hepcat
07-16-2006, 10:59
I know that if I were part of CA I would want the modding community to continue to mod the games. They only add to the games and probably help sales too.

An interesting thought is, would the game be as popular if it wasn't moddable. I don't think so.

But as for possible mods under those conditions. I can't really think of anything at all

Dol Guldur
07-16-2006, 14:29
Ones hopes yes, but then again I am told Alex. models cannot be modded.

DukeofSerbia
07-16-2006, 18:29
You all forget one and the most important thing - COMPETITION.

If CA release most things, they can encourage competition, and I am sure that they don't want to see any competition. But, not forget that SEGA is now owner of CA.

So far CA encouraged moding, so I don't see why they will stop.

shifty157
07-17-2006, 01:31
So far CA encouraged moding, so I don't see why they will stop.

Well that of course depends on how you define "encouraged".

CA likes to say that they support the modding community but i think encouraged is the wrong word. Especially after you take a look at most other games on the market and see how those developers truly do encourage and support their modding community. So yes. If by 'encouraged' you mean giving the ability to edit a few battle stats and change a few textures (thats the extent to which CA actually initially intended RTW to be modded) then yes CA has encouraged the modding community. Im sorry if I cant find a reason to use such positive and optimistic words. As a member of the modding community for RTW i feel rather ignored by a CA that seems to hold us in disdain.

I very nearly cracked the .BPI files for walls in RTW. That would have meant that we could have created compeltely custom walls that looked and behvaed however we wanted. I came very close but then I needed some help from CA to give me a bit of guidance because I got stuck. Not only did CA not help me by giving a few short answers to my questions but they didnt even bother replying to me. Really i just dont get how they think. I just cant see why someone from CA couldnt have taken about half an hour of their time to answer a few technical questions and actually for once truly live up to their claim of supporting the modding community. Thansk alot CA. Thanks for all that help and for really supporting and encouraging the modding community.

So back on topic. As a modder I have been ignored by CA as the entire modding community has been ignored by CA. We have not gotten this far with the help of CA but in spite of CA.

Now excuse me while I go and weep for CA's blatant disregard for the modders.

Hepcat
07-17-2006, 06:20
I had no idea modding was so difficuilt initially. I have only just gotten into modding in the past couple of months and just assumed that the game had been meant to be modded completely.

It will be quite sad if it takes the modding community a while before we have the tools to mod M2TW. :embarassed: :embarassed:

DukeofSerbia
07-17-2006, 11:58
Well that of course depends on how you define "encouraged".

CA likes to say that they support the modding community but i think encouraged is the wrong word. Especially after you take a look at most other games on the market and see how those developers truly do encourage and support their modding community. So yes. If by 'encouraged' you mean giving the ability to edit a few battle stats and change a few textures (thats the extent to which CA actually initially intended RTW to be modded) then yes CA has encouraged the modding community. Im sorry if I cant find a reason to use such positive and optimistic words. As a member of the modding community for RTW i feel rather ignored by a CA that seems to hold us in disdain.

I very nearly cracked the .BPI files for walls in RTW. That would have meant that we could have created compeltely custom walls that looked and behvaed however we wanted. I came very close but then I needed some help from CA to give me a bit of guidance because I got stuck. Not only did CA not help me by giving a few short answers to my questions but they didnt even bother replying to me. Really i just dont get how they think. I just cant see why someone from CA couldnt have taken about half an hour of their time to answer a few technical questions and actually for once truly live up to their claim of supporting the modding community. Thansk alot CA. Thanks for all that help and for really supporting and encouraging the modding community.

So back on topic. As a modder I have been ignored by CA as the entire modding community has been ignored by CA. We have not gotten this far with the help of CA but in spite of CA.

Now excuse me while I go and weep for CA's blatant disregard for the modders.

I agree with you completely. I used wrong 'encouraged' (I didn't mean literalness).

Remeber what I wrote - competition.

shifty157
07-17-2006, 17:16
Sorry this is just a rather sore spot for me.

Fwapper
07-25-2006, 05:52
CA do like to go on about 'supporting the modding community,' so I'd be suprised if we don't see some improvement in modability.

You never know with CA...

GodWillsIt
08-15-2006, 22:40
Let us assume, if we may, that there's no way of modding CAS files (if that's what they are) in M2TW...what modification ideas would then be practical? List your ideas here...

For example, a (romantic age) King Arthur is a possibility...
Crusade-based mods another....

The Great Northern Wars 1648-1730...heres a link Northern Wars (http://www.northernwars.com/)

UltraWar
08-15-2006, 22:51
The modding community dying out? That'll be too bad.... :juggle2:

iwantmyaccountdeleted
08-20-2006, 11:16
Mods without editable files. No total conversions. Oh, and the really good modding community would thank them (CA) forevermore for wasting their time trying to crack more pointless file formats. Thank you CA for wasting everybody's time.

The only reason I still play these games are for the brilliant mods people here and at TW Center churn out. Honestly, some of these people should go pro. A game that is unable to be modded in any sort of meaningful way is like being given a handful of diamonds sealed inside a sphere of mercury reinforced by titanium. Or in the words of Edmund Blackadder "like a broken pencil - pointless"...

Sorry if I sound a bit (ok very) bitter here, but I'm not a great fan of unmoddable games...