PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking a CPU. What is and how?

x-dANGEr
07-18-2006, 15:25
What do you mean by overclockin, and how do you do it/un-do it?!

Monarch
07-18-2006, 15:28
http://www.answers.com/topic/overclocking

:dizzy2:

Hope it helps :inquisitive:

Boohugh
07-18-2006, 15:34
Unless you have a fairly large amount of computer know-how, I really wouldn't suggest doing it unless you're willing to risk frying your computer. The chances are if you don't know what overclocking is, you probably aren't ready to try it yet.

tibilicus
07-18-2006, 16:04
Overcloking is to set a proccesor to a faster spped than it's meant to be that. Say you have a 3.0 ghz intel p4 proccesor. You could go into the BIOS menue and change it so it goes at 3.2 ghz. Wouldn't recomend it with an Intel though AMD is the overclockers proccesor. Also if you do overlock it's recomended you take of your case and put an house hold fan inside to keep it cool. Over clocking also shortens the lfie of your cpu.

Tib

x-dANGEr
07-18-2006, 16:15
Fair enough, Tib. Thanks.

LeftEyeNine
07-18-2006, 21:34
Overclocking: Generally handled by BIOS, theoretically running your CPU run faster by pushing its limits, practically meaning either saving a considerable amount of money in pocket by transforming your halfling into a halfling hero or burning out your CPU.

Substantial cooling is a must for the lifetime of your CPU and the stability of your new horsepower. Faster CPU needs more voltage and this is provided by increasing the FSB voltage of your CPU from BIOS. However, as obvious, higher voltage means higher heat, and that's where cooling trouble starts.

The FSB increase can also be accompanied by modifying (to higher levels) your CPU Clock Ratio as well. Your CPU's advertised speed in MHz/GHz is simply the result of multiplying your CPU'S FSB Speed and Clock Ratio. However, since FSB Speed can be stepped by 1 MHz in modern CPUs, it is a safer way to override the default speed of your CPU.

Overclocking may be tricky, even your RAM Latency times, CAS and some other coefficients are needed to be taken care of in order to stabilize your system. Stabilization is the next troublemaker after you have reached an "unfrying" level for your CPU. If your system gets stuck or restarted in similar intervals or when it is overloaded, then it is obvious that your CPU is not getting "nutrified" enough, or as I said, some other factors like RAM is giving you a headache.

I currently run my AMD Athlon Barton Core XP 2500+ at the same level as an AMD 3200+ with a good case overcoming the temperature problem, and am quite happy with it, because I gained a 400 MHz power increase with that overclocking trick. Sidenote: If you are trying this on an AMD Athlon, you are advised to know if it is Thoroughbred or Barton. Barton cores are newer ones and better at handling unexpected situations such as overclocking.

It's no child's play, however careful steps make risks worthy to be taken. Don't get afraid of the machine you are looking at or get busted ~:)

When you have a micro-chopped overcooked bacon in your hand, no one takes the responsibility, should I warn you.

Papewaio
07-19-2006, 05:18
Find a mentor and use a chip that you were about to throw out anyhow... use it to get the knowledge of how to do this before playing with something a bit more expensive.

Also note that sometime a more expensive case with cooling system plus fans plus time spent will cost considerably more then the next grade of CPU. And some of these gains can be gained by just getting a lower latency RAM set.

Also you may not get any real gain as the bottleneck for your applications may not be CPU centric.

But it is like adult lego... just clicking things into place and it is a more legit 'adult' hobby apparently then minatures, DnD and playing games on the PC...

caravel
07-19-2006, 10:56
If your case ventilation is poor and you've already got high temps I wouldn't even bother overclocking. You'll need to overvolt it somewhat, for stability, and quite obviously push up the fsb (or clock multiplier), this will cause the chip to run alot hotter. If your case doesn't have the right design and ventilation you won't be able to suck away all that excess heat, so expensive thermal compounds and heatsink/fan units will be ineffective.

In your bios you can enter the hardware monitor section and check the cpu core temperature. There are also utilities for doing this within windows, if you visit your motherboard manufacturers website there may be a program available for download.

Geezer57
07-19-2006, 17:59
Find a mentor and use a chip that you were about to throw out anyhow... use it to get the knowledge of how to do this before playing with something a bit more expensive.

Can anyone say "Celeron 300A"?

x-dANGEr
07-20-2006, 13:42
Thanks for all the infos, everyone. I think since I have an intel chip, there's nothing I could do now, is there?

LeftEyeNine
07-20-2006, 18:26
Overclocking is not AMD-specific, xDan. AMDs may be much preferred since they are cheaper.

x-dANGEr
07-20-2006, 19:59
I understand that. But I also understand that Pentium IV proccesors already have heating problems (They produce too much heat), and with overclocking, and the bad valitation system I have, that would be a K.O.! ~:)

LeftEyeNine
07-20-2006, 21:29
Of course.. Risk are worthy to be taken as long as you make sure yourself that you did everything possible to avoid the abnormalities.

Papewaio
07-25-2006, 01:53
I understand that. But I also understand that Pentium IV proccesors already have heating problems (They produce too much heat), and with overclocking, and the bad valitation system I have, that would be a K.O.! ~:)

You could still train by modding your case to have better air flow (large 120mm fans, openings), if possible see if you can get a better cooler for the chip itself (not always possible/practible).

If you really want to train, buy old second hand machines and cannabilise them. This way at the minimum you will get used to putting RAM in and out (if you are going to snap a stick of RAM make sure it is some cheap stick that you are training with), plugging in HDs and assembling the innards of a machine.

Xiahou
07-25-2006, 03:14
Anyone know what the normal/dangerous operating temperatures are for modern processors? I understand it varies from chip to chip. Obviously, if your system locks up, it could be getting too hot- but could it run stably and still be hot enough to significantly impact the lifespan of your comp? I would guess so.

LeftEyeNine
07-25-2006, 11:12
65-70C should be a danger-zone for all. I'm not sure about Intels though.

x-dANGEr
07-25-2006, 11:47
@Pape: I can assemble a PC.. I'm just not a fan of fans and tubes ~;)

drone
07-25-2006, 17:22
Anyone know what the normal/dangerous operating temperatures are for modern processors? I understand it varies from chip to chip. Obviously, if your system locks up, it could be getting too hot- but could it run stably and still be hot enough to significantly impact the lifespan of your comp? I would guess so.
You can always check the datasheets for your specific processor.

Intel has them here:
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/index.htm
Select your processor type (say standard Pentium 4 for this example), this will take you to the technical docs for the processors:
http://www.intel.com/design/Pentium4/documentation.htm
Under Datasheets, select the chip package/number/process (say 90nm 570 P4), and from there download the PDF datasheet. The thermal specs are available, looks like the 570 can go all the way to 72C. Smoking!

AMD has the Athlon 64 docs here:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_7203,00.html
Looks like you want the Power/Thermal specs.

I'm pretty sure these are "theoritical" max temps, you definitely want to be running cooler than specified. Liquid cooling works, if you have the money and inclination. A friend of mine just put together a Koolance system with water blocks, without overclocking and radiator fans at full his CPU temps were under 30C. Plenty of leeway to turn down the fans and up the clocks.