PDA

View Full Version : Alienware

The_Doctor
07-20-2006, 21:21
I might buy a computer from these guys.

What are people's opinions and experiences with them. As far as I can tell they are expensive but very powerful.

Is there anything I should know about Alienware computers. (e.g, hard to upgrade, bad customer service, comes to life and kills family, etc).

Beirut
07-20-2006, 22:14
From what I've read, they're very expensive and very good.

Go to the company website to find out about warranties and upgrade possibilities. If you upgrade yourself, it might void the warranty whereas they might do the upgrade for you at a reduced price. Different companies have different policies about that.

tibilicus
07-20-2006, 22:24
From what I've read, they're very expensive and very good.

Go to the company website to find out about warranties and upgrade possibilities. If you upgrade yourself, it might void the warranty whereas they might do the upgrade for you at a reduced price. Different companies have different policies about that.

Good pc's a bit overpriced though. Coudl always build it yourself or check otu a pc fair.

Tib

Lemur
07-20-2006, 22:33
The only thing I'd beware of with Alienware is the fact that they won't sell you a PC without Windows. So if you're making a Linux box, or (more likely) if you already have a legal copy of Windows XP, you're forced to buy software you don't need.

And they are expensive, yeah. But if you want a pre-built gaming box and tech support by people who speak English as a first language, they're a good choice.

Reenk Roink
07-20-2006, 22:42
I've been researching Alienware for the past couple of months (I plan on getting one early 2007) and I just want to add that while their customer service has always been better than the rest, many claimed it did drop a bit when Alienware started to expand... However, the folks at Alienware took the complaints to heart (a little) and they are trying to get it great again...

Anyway, you pay a hefty premium for the name and the cool case, but you will get a top-notch computer with good to great service. It's the best alternative for people who don't know how to build their own...

drone
07-20-2006, 23:33
Aside from the cost, I haven't heard anything bad about their products or service. The only downside is that Dell bought them recently, not sure how much longer they have before Dell's practices start interfering. :inquisitive:

I think KukriKhan mentioned that he has an Alienware laptop. He might be able to give you more info.

The_Doctor
07-21-2006, 10:17
It would seem that Alienware have put a lot of effort into making the computer easy to upgrade, which is good, because I am looking for a computer(motherboard/case) that will last me a while.

I looked on the Aria, Dell and PC World websites and the computers are a bit (~£150) cheaper. The monitors push up the price, so I might buy that seperate.

I will work out how much it will cost if I build my own.

(Please don't discuss sharing copyright programs, thanks - Beirut)

The_Doctor
07-21-2006, 14:28
What do you guys think of this:

Aurora 7500
-Alienware® Approved NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Motherboard
-Alienware® AlienIce™ 2.0 Video Cooling System
-700 Watt Alienware® Approved Multi-GPU Power Supply
-AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4600+ Processor w/ HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology
-2GB DDR2 PC-6400 SDRAM at 800MHz
-256MB PCI-Express x16 NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7900 GT
-250 GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s, 7,200 rpm w/ 8MB Cache
-DVD, Floppy drive, mouse, keyboard, speakers, network card, sound card.

£1,635.60 including Windows XP and MS Works Suite 2006, Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Professional, VAT and transport costs. Also £150 off.

Also, AlienInspection, AlienWiring, Alienware® T-Shirt, Free Custom Alienware® fUnc Mousepad and Exclusive AlienGUIse Theme Manager for free.

But, no monitor because I can buy one cheaper elseware.

Mikeus Caesar
07-21-2006, 14:50
A few months ago a friend of mine compared the price of a very expensive Alienware computer with the price of buying all the components.

It turned out that buying all the seperate components, assembling them and installing your own copy of Windows XP would be cheaper than an Alienware.

This was all without VAT though.

But still, with Alienware you're paying for a brand.

Lemur
07-21-2006, 15:13
Aurora 7500
-Alienware® Approved NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Motherboard
-Alienware® AlienIce™ 2.0 Video Cooling System
-700 Watt Alienware® Approved Multi-GPU Power Supply
-AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4600+ Processor w/ HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology
-2GB DDR2 PC-6400 SDRAM at 800MHz
-256MB PCI-Express x16 NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7900 GT
-250 GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s, 7,200 rpm w/ 8MB Cache
-DVD, Floppy drive, mouse, keyboard, speakers, network card, sound card.
Looks like a very balanced machine. Only two things I would htink about:
The Athlon 64 X2 4400 or 4800 might give you more pleasure, since they both have double the cache of the 4600. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then please ignore this comment.

You might want more HD space up front. Especially if you're going to be ripping your CDs and your DVDs. On the other hand, installing a new HD in an SATA system is pretty simple, so maybe that's a stupid suggestion.

Currywurry, if a person is ready to build their own PC and install, patch and troubleshoot Windows, they're not really Alienware's target market. There's a place for freaks like us who build their own, and there's an equally valid place for normal human beings who want someone else to do the wiring.

lars573
07-21-2006, 16:58
But doing the wiring yourself is half the fun! :gah: Hell sometime in the next week I'll be wiring up a new 535W power supply, WD 3200KS HDD, and an X1900XT. And re-installing windows. I had to "aquire" a more recent version of OEM XP home so that is can read all 160 Gig's of my main drive. :wall:

The_Doctor
07-21-2006, 17:13
The Athlon 64 X2 4400 or 4800 might give you more pleasure, since they both have double the cache of the 4600. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then please ignore this comment.

The 4400 and 4800 are not on the list, next one on the is the 5200, which over £100 more. Also, I do know what cache is.:2thumbsup:

You might want more HD space up front. Especially if you're going to be ripping your CDs and your DVDs. On the other hand, installing a new HD in an SATA system is pretty simple, so maybe that's a stupid suggestion.

I don't think I will need more storage, if I do need more, I will put another hard drive in. I have been using 36GB for ~5 years, only in the last few months have I had any problems.

I could build my own computer. I have photographs to prove it.:balloon2:

Lemur
07-21-2006, 21:58
Doctor, then you and I are in the same boat. I've built every PC I've ever owned, but I'm ready to pay somebody else to do it next time. The reason is simple: Wiring. I never, ever get the wiring right, and it means pulling the machine apart multiple times to see what the heck I hooked up wrong. Not to mention that the interior of my PCs look like well-lived-in rats' nests.

To top it off, the economics have changed. To build an all-new PC with parts from NewEgg will actually cost me more than ordering a pre-built from I Buy Power (http://www.ibuypower.com/mall/lobby.htm) or Monarch Computers (http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv). I guess those builders get bulk discounts that I'm never going to see buying one power supply, one motherboard, etc.

Then there's the whole issue of time. Taking three hours to build a PC used to be a relaxing pastime. Now it's unthinkable. Just getting an hour to update my family website is a hit-or-miss proposition.

lars573
07-21-2006, 23:07
^Cable ties. Lots of them too. Best way to avoid a mess of wires. And how the hell could you not plug something in. :oops:

Now the time thing I do get. I've taken 3 hours to do a gaming rig before. But it had 2 320 gig HDD. A liguid cooled X1900XTX (which is basically 2 cards connected by 2 hoses :wall: ) and a heat pipe instead of a cpu fan. All in a medium sized mid-tower case.

The_Doctor
07-21-2006, 23:29
I have never built a computer for me. It was in college for a piece of coursework.

I once pulled apart my computer to clean it, that was fun.

A liguid cooled X1900XTX (which is basically 2 cards connected by 2 hoses ) and a heat pipe instead of a cpu fan. All in a medium sized mid-tower case.

Thats nothing once, I once had to install a Black Hole Cooled Meg4GrafixC4rd into a computer roughly the same size as the France. The hard part is that you can't go within 10 light years of the thing with being sucked into oblivion. But I got there in the end.:2thumbsup:

lars573
07-21-2006, 23:51
Bepphh! Same machine has an Asus MoBo. Which means it has 2 hexillion USB/firewire/midi/glow plates to put in the expansion slots.

The_Doctor
07-21-2006, 23:59
Bepphh! Same machine has an Asus MoBo. Which means it has 2 hexillion USB/firewire/midi/glow plates to put in the expansion slots.

I know the entire Korgroc species died trying to install them all. A terrible lose for the galaxy.:shame:

Cebei
07-22-2006, 14:13
How would Alienware compare to Dell?

lars573
07-22-2006, 16:20
Dell bought Alienware to get a hold of the PC enthuseist market. Dell does have some gamer centric lines. But Alienware lets make a custom rig with what ever parts they carry. Like AMD CPU's.

Cebei
07-22-2006, 18:22
Dell bought Alienware to get a hold of the PC enthuseist market. Dell does have some gamer centric lines. But Alienware lets make a custom rig with what ever parts they carry. Like AMD CPU's.

Alienware appears to be a bit pricier than Dell, but I can't tell whether they are overpriced or use better hardware than Dell.

The_Doctor
07-22-2006, 18:31
I think I will go with the Alienware computer. Unless somebody can find a better machine that costs less.

Money will not be a problem, becuase I am starting uni in a few months. And with uni comes money in the form of a maintaince loan (which I will have to pay back in the future), a maintaince grant (which is from the government and does not have to be paid back) and a busiary from the uni. Plus any money from a part-time job. Added to this I am staying at home which will cut down on costs. Also my dad said he would put some money towards it.

I will be doing a course called Computer Games Technology, so I might need a machine like this.

Lemur
07-22-2006, 18:33
Alienware uses industry-standard parts, which makes upgrading a breeze. Dell has a spottier record on that front -- I remember opening up a friend's Dell case and finding that they had chopped off half of the motherboard to save on costs. Literally. Half of the mobo was gone. No way to upgrade at all.

Dell may have changed its custom-hardware ways, but I would definitely check it out before committing to them. There was a time when they used non-standard power supplies, for Pete's sake.

Cebei
07-22-2006, 20:25
Alienware uses industry-standard parts, which makes upgrading a breeze. Dell has a spottier record on that front -- I remember opening up a friend's Dell case and finding that they had chopped off half of the motherboard to save on costs. Literally. Half of the mobo was gone. No way to upgrade at all.

Dell may have changed its custom-hardware ways, but I would definitely check it out before committing to them. There was a time when they used non-standard power supplies, for Pete's sake.

Thanks. That was really informative.

How would you rate Alienwares' laptop upgradability? Is it as easy as desktop upgrades?

Lemur
07-22-2006, 22:57
Um, I really wouldn't put the words "laptop" and "upgradability" next to each other. Anything that can be swapped out on a laptop is an oddity.

I know there was a while when Alienware was offering upgradeable graphics cards, which was more than most. But laptops really aren't the way to go if you mean to have a clear and easy upgrade path. That's what desktops are for.

snevets
07-22-2006, 23:39
I built my computer. It really infuriates my friends with alienware that despite the copious amounts of money they shelled out for their computers mine is way better. And did i mention around 1500 dollars completely legally cheaper?

Lemur
07-23-2006, 00:10
snevet d00d u r uber! w00t!

The_Doctor
07-25-2006, 19:03
The Alienware computers went up in price.:no:

So looked into building my own.

What do you think of this:
Abit AN8 32X NF4 SLi Socket 939 2x PCI-E SLi / NF4 / Gb LAN / SATA(II) RAID / DUAL CH DDR / 7.1CH AUDIO / FIREWIRE / ATX MOTHERBOARD
£122.73

Aspire Discovery Silver No psu 4 x 5.25" / 2 x 3.5" / 4x3.5 Standard ATX / Baby AT / Micro ATX Front Usb 2.0 and Firewire 2x
£61.10

Samsung 16x DVD-ROM Drive BEIGE
£12.75

AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 1MB
£257.33

Mitsumi Floppy + Card Reader Beige
£12.56

BFG GeForce 7900GTX 512MB GDDR3 256bit PCI-E, Dual DVI. TV-Out Mfr# BFGR79512GTXOCE
£347.78

300GB Maxtor D/Max +10 SATA2 [16MB] 6V300F0
£68.09

1GB PC3200 Elixir DDR SDRAM DDR 400 M2U1G64DS8HB1G-5T
£55.80 X2

19" Hanns-G HC194DP TFT - 8ms- DVI 3 Year Warranty
£139.81

550W ATX Power Supply
£18.74

Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
£65.51

Total: 1218 (includes VAT, but not shipping costs)

It is about £400 cheaper than the Alienware one I wanted and more powerful than it. It also has a monitor, but no OS or other programs.

Would that system work?
Are there any improvements I could make?

EDIT: Made some changes to it.

Cebei
07-25-2006, 22:14
Hey Doc,

Which supplier are you working with? Do they build custom laptops? Do you have a website?

Cheers

tibilicus
07-26-2006, 00:44
Cebei if your thinkign of buyign a laptop over a desktop don't do it. Trust me jsut dont. :p

tibilicus
07-26-2006, 00:46
Also Doctor were are you located? If it's any were up north Manchester or near enough I could tell you a few places were you coudl get a rig for about £ 300 cheaper than that.

Tib

The_Doctor
07-26-2006, 09:56
Which supplier are you working with? Do they build custom laptops? Do you have a website?

I found all this stuff on www.aria.co.uk

Also Doctor were are you located? If it's any were up north Manchester or near enough I could tell you a few places were you coudl get a rig for about £ 300 cheaper than that.

Liverpool.

EDIT: Wrong web address.

Cebei
07-26-2006, 15:34
Cebei if your thinkign of buyign a laptop over a desktop don't do it. Trust me jsut dont. :p

Yes, I was thinking about that. Actually I can't notice a significant price difference between laptops and desktops over high-end systems; they cost more or less the same.

Also, I will have to sell my desktop when my PhD is over, which leads me to the laptop solution, but if I can find a cheaper customs desktop builder in the UK, I will definitely pick that one.

I found all this stuff on www.aria.com

The prices look ok. Thanks Doc :2thumbsup:

The_Doctor
07-26-2006, 16:05
:oops: That should be www.aria.co.uk

Cebei
07-26-2006, 17:25
:oops: That should be www.aria.co.uk

Yeah I added co.uk in the end. I am considering buying a desktop around November. I hope they'll pull down the prices by then. :furious3:

tibilicus
07-26-2006, 18:42
Doctor have a look up for a palce called bowlers computer fair it's located in manchester. I got my pc from there which im delighted with. Don't worry it's nothign dodgy like a mix and match cheap parts garage sale it's a well organized group of stores both who have perminent stores and soem who coem and go from tiem to time. There you could probably get the system you asked for under the 1K mark. The stores also normaly offer atleast some form of warranty I got a one eyar one with my pc but others offer 3 years or even mroe if your willing to play extra. You can basicly mic and match on aprts say buy a rig from one store then the monitor cheaper from another or buy a barebone system and buy your chosen graphicis card and so on. Also ask aroudn to fidn whos sellign the software you need windows Xp ect. It's very cheap for software aswell but personly I wouldn't buy any software other than windows Xp from there. Rembember one of the more memorable stalls selling a disk entitled "hackign stuff". :P

The_Doctor
07-26-2006, 21:10
I will look into it, thanks.:balloon2:

tibilicus
07-26-2006, 23:06
I will look into it, thanks.:balloon2:

You shouldn't be to dispaointed if you go along it's the largest in Europe. :D

Tib