PDA

View Full Version : His DVD drive.

x-dANGEr
07-23-2006, 20:30
Hmm..

LeftEyeNine, can you clarify more about what you said about burning success rates..?

Thank you!

P.S. No relation into this thread to that piracy stuff.. So I hope this won't get an axe.. ~:)

LeftEyeNine
07-23-2006, 20:51
Well, from first hand experience:

Say, you're gonna burn a full-up DVD -that takes 4.7 GB. So then, you should try to have a cache (empty space on your partition) of 4.7 GB for a success granted burning process. Programs such as Nero warn about your cache levels in case they may cause problems, by the way.

And the second tip is an old one. The faster your media spins while burning (writing speed that is), the higher probability that you'll come across with an erroneously burnt media. 24x is a balanced writing speed for CD's, while 8x should not be a problem for DVDs, 4x will take it for granted.

Hope that helps :bow:

Blodrast
07-24-2006, 22:55
errrr... what exactly does piracy have to do with the closed thread ?
You can very well get those errors simply because of media errors. I know _I_ got them several times, and it has absolutely nothing to do with piracy. Trying to access something (doesn't matter what) from a disk (be it cd or dvd) is not related to piracy, as far as I can tell.
Probably the most common reason for this error message is bad media, period - nothing to do with copyright. I had this message from non-copyright media, simply disks I had burned myself at some point in time (with mixed data on them, btw, as further proof that the _content_ of the disk makes no difference).

There are error messages (although, I wouldn't exactly describe them as error messages) while trying to duplicate copyrighted stuff, but they are different, and they were not under discussion, from my understanding of the thread.
FWIW, I think we're being a wee bit oversensitive here, but, whatever, it's not my call.
I did want to clarify, though.

Beirut
07-25-2006, 00:30

The opening sentence of that thread read: "A friend has burned a few movies on a few DVDs in AVI format."

Odds are it was copyright material, at least that is our default position when "burned movies" are mentioned. Therefore, closed.

x-dANGEr
07-25-2006, 11:54
You can very well get those errors simply because of media errors. I know _I_ got them several times, and it has absolutely nothing to do with piracy. Trying to access something (doesn't matter what) from a disk (be it cd or dvd) is not related to piracy, as far as I can tell.
Probably the most common reason for this error message is bad media, period - nothing to do with copyright. I had this message from non-copyright media, simply disks I had burned myself at some point in time (with mixed data on them, btw, as further proof that the _content_ of the disk makes no difference).

There are error messages (although, I wouldn't exactly describe them as error messages) while trying to duplicate copyrighted stuff, but they are different, and they were not under discussion, from my understanding of the thread.
FWIW, I think we're being a wee bit oversensitive here, but, whatever, it's not my call.
I did want to clarify, though.
So what's better? Having 4.7 Gig free or more than that? And, what partition is taken in count? For instance, on C I have like less than 1 Giga free (Which is why I feel the PC is dying), but on D I have like 5.. So..?!

LeftEyeNine
07-25-2006, 18:09
Well the program should be caching the partition that itself or the OS is installed. However, I guess that there can be customizations in the burning program's options where you can change the partition to be used for caching.

And 1 GB in C is definitely a risk factor while burning. I got so many corrupted DVDs when there was such small space on my C.

Blodrast
07-26-2006, 00:04
The opening sentence of that thread read: "A friend has burned a few movies on a few DVDs in AVI format."

Odds are it was copyright material, at least that is our default position when "burned movies" are mentioned. Therefore, closed.

Okay, although, imo, the technical part of his question - which was what he was looking for an answer to - had nothing to do with what he was burning... I would have thought that could be overlooked, and we'd focus on the technical part.
Oh well, I guess it was his mistake, he shouldn't have said _what_ he was trying to burn~D

I see where you're coming from, I'm not being deliberately obtuse, I just thought that the focus was the errors, not the content of what he was burning.
Thank you for the explanation.

Blodrast
07-26-2006, 00:12
So what's better? Having 4.7 Gig free or more than that? And, what partition is taken in count? For instance, on C I have like less than 1 Giga free (Which is why I feel the PC is dying), but on D I have like 5.. So..?!

Okay, two things:

1. Yes, like LEN said, most proggies let you choose where to cache. So, if in doubt, you can always change it to the drive where you have more space.

2. I'm not sure, but there may be some confusion here. There are two distinct things: an image, and a cache.

The image would come into play when you're, for instance, duplicating a disk, and you only have 1 one disk drive (cd/dvd). In that case, the burning proggie would indeed create an image on your hdd, therefore you'd require storage space on your hdd equivalent to the image size of the disk that you're duplicating. For a cd, this would be 700 mb, for a dvd, depending on the dvd, let's say 4.5 gb, or whatever. You get the point.

Now comes the slightly more subtle part, and it's been a while since I had anything to do with this, so take it with a grain of salt.

If you're just burning some stuff off your harddisk, onto a cd/dvd, you don't need an image, and most likely, usually one won't be created. However, a cache _will_ be created.
This is particularly useful for large number of entries (directories/files), and again, usually you can specify file size restrictions to customize which files should be cached (normally, when you have many small files, you'd like them cached).
There's more to it than that, but I'm getting on shaky territory, so I'll stop here.

The point is - and I hope I made it clear - that you won't always need the 4.x gb extra space on your hdd - it depends on what you're doing, and _how_ you're burning whatever it is you're burning on your media.

Hope that helps a bit.

x-dANGEr
07-26-2006, 19:35
Helps a lot..

I've been having this problem with Nero Express.. I want to copy a data disk (A movie, but of my friend's wedding party, who needs extra copies), Nero would make the image, but then I don't know how to burn it.. (I always used to use the CD to CD, but now one of the CDs is gone.. Also, I remember when not using the direct method, Nero would cash the CD then write it.. But now it makes an image..?!)

LeftEyeNine
07-26-2006, 21:13
Well, if you are able to create the image. Here is how to burn it back on a CD again:

In the primary window select your "Source Drive" as "Image Recorder". You can get it by clicking the dropdown menu where your DVD/CD-RW drive is shown as well. Your target drive will be your hardware - DVD/CD-RW drive that is. The rest of the bruning process is the same as the others.

Blodrast
07-26-2006, 23:20
Or (if I understood correctly what you are trying to do), you can select in the Nero Express, on the left-hand side, the option "Duplicate CD/DVD", or "CD Copy", or "DVD Copy" (can't remember exactly what it's called). You'll have to select the source and destination drive (which will be the same if you only have one), and Nero will create indeed an image on your harddisk, and then ask you to insert the destination cd/dvd to burn the image on it.
All you'll need to do is insert the blank disk when Nero asks you to.

Now, if you wanna do it in two steps, for whatever reason, you can do that too.
Create the image, then burn the image onto the destination medium.
The "create an image" and "burn image" options are all around there, in the menus/tabs, but since I'm on a linux box right now, I can't access Nero and see what exactly the options are called and what menus/submenus they are.

If you still need some help, please try to be a bit more specific with the parts that you're having trouble with (e.g., did you figure how to create the image, you know how to create it but you don't know how to burn it, etc). For instance, LEN told you how to do it if you already have the image, but I didn't understand from your posts if you are able to create the image or not. However, if you manage to use the "Duplicate/Copy CD/DVD" option like I explained above, you shouldn't need to worry about it at all :2thumbsup:

Good luck again !

edit: no need to tell us _what_ you're trying to burn. Like I said before, it doesn't matter, usually (unless you're trying to make your own "original"-like DVD and you want to create menus, etc). Besides, it will only get you into trouble, as you've noticed.

x-dANGEr
07-28-2006, 18:53
In the Destination drive drop menu, I can't see neither my normal CD drive, nor my DVD drive.. That's the whole problem..

Blodrast
07-31-2006, 03:42
What do you see when you choose "Select Recorder" (Ctrl-R) in Nero ?
If all you see is Image Recorder, then Nero doesn't recognize your drives as writers.
In that case, you most likely have a problem with your drivers, or, it is possible to have a problem with Nero itself (I messed it up several times and needed to reinstall it, although this had to do with Virtual drives).

x-dANGEr
07-31-2006, 12:20
Well.. I have a virtual drive if that has something to do with it..

I just use Sonic now..

Blodrast
07-31-2006, 21:33
But you still haven't answered the question whether you can see your real, physical recorders when you choose your recorder.
In newer versions of Nero, you can enable/disable the virtual drive (image drive I believe is what Nero calls it) without having to reboot. You can try that and see if it makes a difference in what recorders you have to choose from.

x-dANGEr
08-01-2006, 16:31
Well I can't tell you..

It works on this PC, but not on the laptop.. And the laptop is gone now, gave it to someone for the time being..