PDA

View Full Version : I have no internet connection.

Mooks
07-28-2006, 08:52
My computer was heavily infested with spyware/adware and viruses. So one day I Decided just to tackle the problem, downloaded avg software and some other programs to fix my computer. Everything was going fine, found over 300+ critical errors on my computer with AVG ad-ware. And about 10 viruses. I got CCleaner (stands for crap-cleaner) and thats when my problem appeared. It cleans out the unused files.

I ran CCleaner and it helped LOADDS. Computer runs soooo much faster..Except, I cant get into internet explorer, for some reason nothing appears. Apperantly it wiped out that part of my computer. I tried calling COX (My internet company) but it seems they just make that number for show. I can play my online game (wolfenstein), but when the game requires me to download something to get into a paticular server, it cant connect.

No idea what to do (btw I have 2 computers).

R'as al Ghul
07-28-2006, 11:50
Wolfenstein connects when using the previous infested PC?
If yes then I suspect that the Crap-Cleaner wiped out IE.
Not a bad move. :wink: But it tells us also that the network setup is correct.
The easiest and best thing would be to install a different browser.
Firefox is way safer and won't download and install so much spyware and viruses when surfing the web.

:bow:

caravel
07-28-2006, 13:43
First install another browser such as firefox or opera, if that works, IE is your problem, if not then it could be related to DNS. Try that first.

I've never used CCleaner so I can't comment on it. The only anti spyware programs I use are Hijackthis, Spybot S&D, Spywareblaster and Adaware.

Mooks
07-28-2006, 22:55
But how am I sopposed to download firefox without getting online? Remember I cant access ANY sites at all.

Is there a store bought version I can get?

drone
07-28-2006, 23:43
Is your firewall activated in Windows? Maybe your tools shut down some of the necessary ports while cleaning up the PC, and didn't reopen them.

Have you tried using FTP to download Firefox? The FTP address is:
ftp.mozilla.org /pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.5.0.5/win32/en-US/Firefox Setup 1.5.0.5.exe

If worst comes to worst, you can download Firefox on the machine you are currently running, and copy it over to the other through your LAN or via sneakernet (burnt CD/thumbdrive/etc).

R'as al Ghul
08-04-2006, 12:13
But how am I sopposed to download firefox without getting online? Remember I cant access ANY sites at all.

Is there a store bought version I can get?

Then how do you post here? :wink:
Don't know where you live but over here a lot of computer mags come with cd's that have lots of different programs, Firefox usually being one of them.

tibilicus
08-04-2006, 15:23
If it has deleted IE I would be mroe concerned that fact you can't get windows updates any logner as they require IE:wall: . But how heavily infected was your pc? If it is one of those infested beyond beleif 50+ virus's adware ect maby reformating the HD might be the best option. That's if your prepared to lose your data on your pc. Mind you when I did it all I have on my PC is games.:laugh4:

Edit: Forgot to add which service pack are you using? If you don't have sp2 maby upgrading to it could fix your IE problem.

Tib

whyidie
08-04-2006, 15:24
What exactly do you mean by "nothing appears" ?

Its highly unlikely that internet explorer was deleted. Does explorer launch but your home page doesn't show up ? Or does the explorer window not even launch ?

If it doesn't launch can you bring up the "My Computer" application ? If so, what happens when you type in google.com into the location bar ?