PDA

View Full Version : WotS The Shame of Legio III – a Princeps on trial

Braden
08-04-2006, 09:37
The trial of Senatus Publius Laevinius

Gentle men of the Senate of the Republic of Roma, it is my sad duty to officially open this hearing into the events immediately leading upto and the reasons behind the loss of the Republics Legio Eagle at the Ford of Massilia.

It is my unenviable task to decipher the actions of those in command, their troops and to apportion blame thereof, if any blame can be apportioned.

To open the proceedings I have placed a call to the Co-Consuls own Son Manius Aemilius for him to join us here and give is own account of that battle.

Until he arrives I ask which of you Senators stands before me in defence of the noble Laevinius and whom of you stands to accuse him?

(OOC: Waiting on the “who’s playing Manius” question and I would like the current Co-Consuls to keep me posted on their progress in the campaign. I want to time the verdict so that it comes through in time for the mid-term votes)

Dooz
08-04-2006, 11:57
{Galerius Vatinius}

Accuse? Accuse the man of what! The noble Publius Laevinius lost a battle, a battle against a ferocious Gaul army which outnumbered his depleted legion almost 2 to 1. Surely no man can be expected to be victorious at every battle, every time, especially considering the fact that his most needed tribune was a madman! Let's be rational for just one moment here Senators! Publius Laevinius is now in old age, and was was past his prime for the battle. He has served the mighty Republic for over 20 years, courageously and victoriously, vanquishing many a foe. Need I remind this Senate of Motion 5.1, passed by you very Senators who now stand to accuse him? Let me recite it for you.

Motion 5.1: This House grants First Consul Lucius Aemilius a triumph. This is on account of his successful conquest of Cisalpine Gaul, Massilia and the island settlements of Melte, Aleria and Caralis with relatively little loss. It notes the generous role of the First Consul in providing opportunities for other members of the Lower House to give battle on Rome's behalf.
Remember also the heroic victories of Publius against Meriadoc and Eporedorix just 10 years ago, when he was in his prime. I have gotten my hands on the battle report of the former here. https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1165386&postcount=5

He may not be the sharpest gladius in the blacksmith's shop anymore, but he was always good at what he did and gave it his all. If it weren't for him, perhaps many of you fine senators would not be here today! You have disgraced a good Roman, a local hero! With these accusations and this trial, you have disgraced yourselves. If anything, I accuse this Senate of pompous finger pointing atop their high horses and ivory towers! I say drop the case and let the old man retire to Rome and get the dignity and rest he so rightfully deserves.

If there's anyone to blame, it's probably that loony Manius Aemilius! What Legate and legion can be entrusted to the helping hand of a madman? Bring him out here! Let's see what he has to say for himself! Rahrahrahrahrah!...

Death the destroyer of worlds
08-04-2006, 12:23
I myself have fought numerous battle at that exact location, at even greater odds than those facing Legio III on that fatefull day. That bridge could be succesfully held with just four cohorts against any numbers of foes. Something disastrous must have gone wrong.

If it was just his disgracefull defeat at the hands of those barbarians, he would probably come off with just a resignation from active service. The loss of a sacred eagle is quite another matter however. Was I in his place I would probably be considering a 'honourable' end to my life.

I also feel it easy to place blame on my absent son. He is not the one on trial here, Publius is. I am aware of his disreputable reputation, but I would like to hear his version of the story first before arriving at any conclusions.

Mount Suribachi
08-04-2006, 12:29
Senator Galerius Vatinius, I am confused as to why you mention the awarding of a triumph to Lucius Aemilus, when Publius Laevinius is on trial.

Dooz
08-04-2006, 12:34
{Galerius Vatinius}

Ah, forgive me Senators, my anger gets the best of me sometimes... please do strike that from the court record.

Braden
08-04-2006, 13:17
Senators,

The previous nobility and ability of Publius Laevinius is not in question NOR is this hearing to apportion blame about the Loss of the battle in question itself - no - what IS called into question is the Tribunes loss of the Legio's Eagle.

It is understood that it is every Tribunes responsiblity to ensure the safety and continuation of the Legion sequested to him and part of that responsibility is to ensure the retention of the Legio's Eagle so that the Legion, even if utterly decimated, lives on within it.

Without a Legio III Eagle, officially, there is NO Legio III.

That is what is being called into question here and it is the events leading to Publius Laevinius's failure to remove the Eagle standard from Battle when defeat was certain that will be the crux of this investigation and will have a baring on any punishments meated out.

To loose a battle against unsermountable odds is surely acceptable, but to loose the Eagle......that is questionable at the very least.

Galerius Vatinius! If you continue to besmerch the character of a fellow Senator, in this case the very Son of one of our Co-Consuls I will be forced to remove you from the floor until the hearing is ended. WE do not judge what is sane here.....we will view the FACTS from as many angles as we can THEN we will distribute blame and punishments, that is all!

I trust I have made myself clear in this matter. Now whilst we await the arrival of our first first hand witness I will ask for any accounts of the battle known by individuals, be they rumours, written reports from troops or even testomony by local tribesmen.

(OOC: not wanting to seem like I'm directing the hearing in any particular way, it would be helpful for someone to post an edited version of the battle report but viewed from a different angle - perhaps a native watching or one of the soldiers involved? if none are forthcoming I will do something myself but thought it best to offer it out prior to me putting anything down)

08-04-2006, 13:32
OOC :
You have laid your finger on the problem here. No-one knows 'what happened' as the battle was autoresolved. Publius could have been sick, the Gauls might have swum over the river in the night and suprised them, lighting might have struck the legion during the battle, Manius might have lost his wits during the battle and fled leading to a rout, a Star Destroyer might have slown by and blasted the legion with its turbolasers, antyhing really.

I would suggest that all the witnesses make up their own versions of the events that supposedly took place.

Dooz
08-04-2006, 13:55
{Galerius Vatinius}

Praetor Curtius, you want the facts? You can't handle the facts! I do not go around throwing names at people, as you think I have done with Manius Aemilius. You defend his sanity, when he is known around the lands as Manius the Mad! Apparently you are the only one in this senate body not aware of his, "habits", shall we say. Well, in that case, let me enlighten you.

The man has been seen on more than one account of painting his bottom purple and wearing goat bladders! If you do not judge that as being insane, I do not think you fit for Praetor to judge anything in this matter! You want facts senator, here are some more for you to digest.

The man cannot keep secrets! He regularly runs around revealing things that ought never be spoken, that he as Tribune to the honorable Publius Laevinius has access to. He constantly drinks and is a useless assesor and financially irregular. To take it a step further, he is extravagant to the point of unsavoriness. The man has a severe gambling problem as well, squandering all the money he has and much more he doesn't. For all we know, he may have sold the eagle to the Gauls himself to get himself out of a gambling debt! He always trumpets his own loyalties, a bit too much to be believable perhaps. The man always ends his sentences in curses and vile oaths, and has been seen sleeping around with his friends' wives. Is this the kind of man whose honor you defend Praetor Curtius?

You threaten me with removal from this court, push the young one around, abuse your powers. Is this what our Republic has degenerated into? I do not care who that madman is related to! I do not care what enemies I make in this Senate. The truth must be spoken and if noone else will do it, you can trust I will at my own expense.

Lucjan
08-04-2006, 14:05
Spurting such unnecessary and inflamatory remarks of someones father on a habitual basis will only find you on the wrong end of their gladius senator Galerius.. *A harsh glare is concentrated on the senator* This proceeding is not to determine the mental state of my father...it is to uncover the mistakes made at Massilia, that they may not be made again.

(OOC - I think it may be a good idea for me to play the role of both Servius and Manius, but only for these proceedings..could make things interesting. Manius, being the nut that he is, may suddenly decide he will only relay information directly to his son, regardless of the fact that everyone else in the room can hear him anyway. :dizzy2: )

On another note..I am awaiting a reply from a friend in Massilia who said his servants had come running to him, desperate in fear, after witnessing a 'gallic bloodbath'.

Dooz
08-04-2006, 14:14
{Galerius Vatinius}

*stands up defensively, glaring at Servius*
I invite you to do whatever you think you can Servius, son of a madman. The apple does not fall from the tree afterall. I am well aware that these proceedings are to uncover the mistakes made at Masillia, and I believe that mistake was your father's presence there and his appointment by the Senate! This session is about the shame of Legio III, and that is Manius the Mad! I shall stand firmly behind that, whether at the tip of your gladius or at the lighting of your funeral pyre!

Lucjan
08-04-2006, 14:28
*A calm, stern look is held on the barking senator.* I am not like my father Galerius, and it is hypocritical for you to fault him on many things that you have. You too are a self publicist, you too divulge in alchohol, you too are a poor trader, not only these things but you hold idiot savants in your retinue and you hold no faith in the gods, need I even speak of your irrational temper?

*Servius begins tapping his finger* And for someone feeling as ill as yourself, it is unwise to threaten another with violence. I suggest you take Praetor Curtius's advice, and see to it that your opinion of my father is not again heard amongst the senators. You have far too many skeletons in your closet to try pulling out someone else's.

If I may, Praetor Curtius, I apologise for this...situation, but I am here to seek the truth just as everyone else, if my father is guilty, then so be it, but I will not stand for this fool blindly spouting out propaganda against him until we have heard all sides of the story.

Dooz
08-04-2006, 14:53
{Galerius Vatinius}

I will not further this personal dispute with you Servius, but I would not talk of temper were I you... or shall I call on those servants you killed in your blind furies? Oh right... they are dead...

I will neither confirm nor deny any "skeletons in my closet" as this trial is not about me and I find it petty you should try and bring things up. The point here is that your father is the one on trial, his skeletons need to be revealed, and I can and will do so if I happen to know where they are. My "opinions", as you call it, are actually a collection of facts, and they will rightly be heard amongst the senators. Do not try to hide the truth Servius, it always comes out in the end. Hah, and knowing your father's talkativeness, it will probably come out of his own mouth! The gods will not help you now.

Braden
08-04-2006, 15:19
ORDER! ORDER!

Senators, I will not have this turn into a Gladatorial contest.

I do not actively defend the honour OR reputation of Manius, what I do do is defend a mans Jupiter given right to defend himself and NOT be slandered openly by his peirs!

Such personal verbal attacks are perhaps more at place in the Forum, but they are not to be tolerated here gentlemen.

It is clear that both of you have strong opinions on the personal attributes of Manius; however, I will ask you both to remember that I also have personal views on this matter BUT do not permit them to enter into this hearing.

Whatever our personal views on reputation, previous actions or any of the sort it is not Manius who is to be investigated directly here. Ultimate responsibility, in the laws of the Republic, for the security of the Legio Eagle standard is with that Legio's Tribune and NO underling.

Should it transpire that it was the neglect or other failing of Manius that caused this sorryful episode to occur then he will be dealt with, however, that will not expunge the guilt that the Legio's Tribune will have.

(OOC: See the general OOC discussion for what has been suggested for RPing Manius etc)

Braden
08-04-2006, 15:46
Senators present at the hearing,

I have received written testimony from certain parties present on the day. I will be retiring shortly to consider them and see if it is valid to call these persons to the hearing.

Whilst these persons are not of the nobility of those under investigation their first hand accounts will assist me in discovering what happened during and just prior to the battle.

Feel free to continue to put forward support or information. I will read any resulting transcripts by our stenographer whilst I am out of session.

Hearing Adjourned

(OOC: Going off line, will report in tonight and every night until this has been resolved.)

TinCow
08-04-2006, 22:20
Senators! This is a court of law, not an arena! There are procedures that must be followed and order must be strictly enforced! First a prosecutor must come forward with a complaint against the defendant. He must be given the opportunity to make his case and present whatever evidence he has. Then the defendant or his chosen representative must be given the opportunity to speak on the matter and present further evidence. Throughout the trial, it is entirely inappropriate for anyone to interrupt the proceedings. Unless you are the Praetor, the Prosecutor, the Defense Attorney or a Witness, you should respect court system and remain silent. If you wish to deliberate amongst yourselves at the close of the trial, you are free to do so, but outbursts from every jury member simply cannot be allowed!

The first order of business is to formally recognize the Prosecutor and the Defense Representative. I was planning on speaking for Publius Laevinius myself, but Galerius Vatinius seems to have taken up that role already. I will stand aside and leave the defense to him, if he wishes that formal role. That still leaves a need for a formal complaint by a Prosecutor. One of you (and only one) must step forward to take this position. If you wish to give evidence for or against the defendant, I encourage you to speak privately with the appropriate party about the matter so that you can be called to speak at the proper time.

econ21
08-04-2006, 23:41
It is dark and the courtroom is deserted. A stern faced man walks in and looks around, carefully taking in his surroundings. His eyes pass over the public gallery, the desks for the lawyers, the judge's bench and settle on the dock set aside for the accused. A wince of pain strikes the man's face and his eyes take on a faraway look, as if remembering times past.

https://img264.imageshack.us/img264/4325/massilia1lp0.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

A woman quietly enters the courtroom. She has been following the man. Like him, her hair is grey and like him, the lines on her face seem to have aged her beyond her years. Nonetheless, she moves with elegance and whispers in a calm, gentle voice:

"Publius, come now, it is not time yet. You need to rest, to be strong."

The man turns to her, his previously inscrutable face softens and reveals a myriad of emotions: love, regret, fear and fatigue. He nods and his shoulders stoop as he moves out the room, as if carrying a heavy burden.

Dooz
08-05-2006, 08:49
{Galerius Vatinius}

Senators, I am honored to be offered the position of Publius Leavinius' and... Manius Aemilius' defense representative, however I do not think I would be able to serve this matter in a way deemed satisfactory. I have publicly stated my mistrust of Senator Manius Aemilius and believe he may have implications in this case . I could not, I should think, put everything aside and agree to defend him a matter I feel so strongly about. Perhaps if I were older, wiser and more experienced... however I am but a young man and believe strongly in my convictions. I do not think Senator Servius would have me as his father's defense representative after our differences. I would not do this Republic justice.

However, if desired by this body, I could represent only Senator Leavinius to the best of my abilities... if he would have me. Perhaps Senator Verginius could take the task of defending Manius. I leave it to Praetor Curtius and Senator Verginius.

x-dANGEr
08-05-2006, 18:45
A note reaches the court from the "on battlefield" commander, Publius Pansa.

"Ahh Senators.. And woe me Senators..

The news of the trial reachs me here, - at Chalikpeda - faster than you may think. I get news of accustions of the great general, Publius Leavinius, in a trial opened by my request.. And that's what woes me. Wrong it is Senators, wrong it is to accuse our faithfuls of wasting their glory. For great men like Punlius Leavinius tend not to lose battles, tend not to lose honur, tend not to waste Roman lives.. And for that, read the following carefully, Senators. Cutting it short, investigate in the water of the river.. For I believe it was mixed with something prior to the battle.. Sadly, I can write no more and prove nothing. I'm in a newly conquered city, and the population is due to a rebellion any time, for they're raged by the recent slavery events.

At all costs, Senators. The water, check the water!

Yours loyally, Publius Pansa."

TinCow
08-05-2006, 19:23
This trial was begun to discover where the fault lies in the loss of the Republican Eagle of Legio III Sicilia Aemilia. The defeat of the Legion by our oldest enemies, the Gauls, was a severe blow to the Republic. With the loss of the Eagle, the physical embodiment of the magnificence of Rome, to a barbaric horde, the Republic's honor has been horribly stained. An investigation into this matter must be held for the good of all citizens and those responsible for this crime must be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

In the Senate, I volunteered to defend my father-in-law as I believed such a service was in the best interests of the Republic. It now seems that there is adequate defense, but that the Republic lacks an accuser. As is usual and proper, a man's friends and family rally to his cause, even at the expense of the Republic. If we abandon the prosecution of Publius Laevinus, we may as well restore the Etruscan Kings to power. The Republic is important above all citizens, be they patrician or plebian!

As such, I hereby accuse Publius Laevinus, commander of Legio III Sicilia Aemilia, of criminal negligence during the defense of the Massilia ford against the Gauls under Drustan of Decetia. He has failed in his duties as a commander of a Legion of Rome. He has disgraced himself, his Legion and the entire Republic with his conduct. He has weakened the entire Alpine frontier and made all of Italy vulnerable to barbarian invasion. Publius Laevinus is guilty of crimes which are the equivalent of treason. As a private Roman citizen before this court, I will provide evidence to substantiate my allegations and I demand that punishment be swift and harsh when his guilt is inevitably determined.

Braden
08-05-2006, 23:52
Senators,

The Accusations are clear and concise. I have now heard statements from three persons whom were present at the time of the battle but I will not have them take the stand until we have heard from the those people who's actions, or inactions, lead to this disaster.

*Decius, turns to an aide to his right and they exchange a short sentence. The aide, a shifty & furtive looking character, hurriedly leaves*

There are many ways to garner the truth in this matter and I intend to use ALL of them to find out what occured.

Now, I ask, save Senator Publius Laevinus and Manius themselves, whom will speak on their behalves? For I will call them to answer the accusations put forth.

08-06-2006, 00:13
I shall speak in defense of both Publius Laevinius and my son Manius, if it pleases the court.

Lucjan
08-06-2006, 00:57
I will speak in defence of my father, Manius Aemilius.

Dooz
08-07-2006, 08:55
{Galerius Vatinius}

Senators, I have been appointed defense counsil for Publius Leavinius and willingly accept. However, I will have nothing to do with Manius Aemilius and reserve the right to testify against him if necessary. I now yield the floor to the prosecutor.

econ21
08-07-2006, 11:08
SENATE SPEAKER: This trial has now been properly constituted: Augustus Verginius has been appointed prosecutor; Galerius Vatinius has been appointed as defence lawyer for Publius Laevinius; and Servius Aemilius will be defence lawyer for Manius Aemilius.

I believe the praetor, Decius Curtius, has indicated that he would like to first hear testimony from Manius Aemilius, so I would ask the various parties to wait for that testimony. The prosecution and the defence may then cross examine the witness.

Lucjan
08-07-2006, 19:34
Servius sits, a look of slight concern across his face as it seems his father has been a bit late..but perhaps his concerns are ill founded. The sound of a very vocal argument resounds through the halls outside the court before the doors creek open, the legionnairres opening them for none other than Manius Aemilius.

"Do not lecture mmeee on how the senate feels! I am part of the senate! Hoot!" Manius screams at the startled legionnairres, who quickly close the door. "And clean up that mess!"

This scene may not have been such a sudden worry to Servius if it had been anybody but his father...but lo and behold, Manius now sat, backwards, atop a donkey, waving a butter knife angrily at the door, which, in his frustration, finds itself flying towards the closed court doors before he dismounts. "Away steed." Manius says, but the donkey just huffs and stands there. His son finds it hard to say anything, simply sitting there, face buried in the palm of one hand, pointing towards the dock for the accused.

Their is a wry grin on the accused one's face..as if he had struck some great victory and was being wrongfully accused. "I suppose you all want me to start then?" Manius says...and his version of oration begins.

"It was midday, me and my men were taking a swim in the river, when the Gauls could be seen coming about in the distance, at first I ignored them, but the rest of the men seemed a bit edgy, so I *hoot!*ed them to bear arms immediately. Unforetunatly, the Gauls noticed us, undoubtadly drawn to my Bathing Legion. Yes..we were a glorious sight, like geese in a pond..yes. Too bad the presence of roman women could not have been felt as well, their armaments perhaps may have turned the Gauls away. But we had armor by the time they arrived at the ford..I don't remember where I found mine, but it fit kind of funny and I don't think I found it in my tent. Blasted legionnairres should keep their hands off other people's armor! But my spear was in the owl where I left it. *hoot!*

By the time everybody was ready half of those blasted Gauls were already taking a swim in our river, armor on and all, I couldn't believe they could put forth such nerve, swimming in our river before they even fought for it! So I ordered a full out charge! The half of the gallic army that was swimming in the river came out to meet us in battle. The infantry held them at bay and my glorious cavalry and I took the charge home! Planted a spear point straight in one of their arse's I did! *hooot!* But before we could run the last of the buggers down the rest of them were back in the river! I ordered the second charge into the manbeasts and I spotted their bug eyed general! So my men and I took charge, assailing his bodyguard left and right with our pointy sticks. We were winning the day until these ungodly beasts rose from the ground behind us, covered in weeds and mud, and dripping wet, their stench scared the horses and as they charged into our rear our mighty steeds took flight. Stayed and fought them I would! I would if I could! *HOOT!* If I could then I would were it not for those who should but could not could! *HOOOT!* It was all his fault! That dammmned beast. *Manius points to the donkey in the center of the court, stands up and makes foul gestures and farty noises at the beast then produces a block of wood from his garb and clocks the beast in the head with it, prompting a rauckus display from the animal before it goes off and sits in the corner.* Running from the stinky twig men! Dare call yourself a might steed...and to think, I almost appointed you my second in command! *Still waving angry fingers at the donkey...he stops for a few seconds, breathes, and sits back down and crosses his arms in a huff, like an angry child.

Then that wry grin returns, that sinister 'I saved the day were it not for you' smile.* The gauls dealt with the swampmen in turn...and then came once again for us. We fought the beasts again but something whacked me in the head and I fell off my horse, next thing I know, when I opened my eyes everybody was gone..that damned PIGMAN *hoot!*, THAT FOOL *hoot!!*, THAT WORTHLESS EXCUSE FOR ROMAN *ho-hoot!*, Publius Laevinius, NEVER *hoot!* showed his face on the battlefield at all! He left my Bathing Legion to die at the hands of that horde! I may as well have killed him in his sleep and assumed control of his Lazy Legion myself! The combined might of a Lazy-Bathing Legion could have been victorious under my command...*HOot!* But no..noo. Nay shall I be given such honor. No..give it to the pigman instead. Leave Manius out by himself in the water. Now..why don't you give me back my legion, whereever you took it, because I know you all took it..when I woke up it was gone, I want it back! And I want a medal too! And where the HELL did you all take my triarii?!?! They had the legionnairry owl! I WANT MY FANCY OWL BACK! *With that Manius slams his fist on the table, crosses his arms, and refuses to say another word without being questioned, other than the occasional hoot.

econ21
08-07-2006, 22:07
[SENATE SPEAKER]: {nervous cough} Now that we have heard testimony from Manius, I believe the prosecutor, Augustus Verginius, should prepare any cross-examination questions for the witness ...{soto voce}... and Jupiter help him.

TinCow
08-07-2006, 23:36
I have but one question for Senator Manius Aemilius, and that will come at the end of my statement. His testimony is entirely in accordance with my allegations and I shall delve into his roll in this matter further when I present my case in full. Regardless, this man is not the subject of my accusations. His son defends him purely out of regard for the stain his father would inflict upon his own name. That is a trial that I fear he must rightly conduct in the court of public opinion, but it has no place in my accusations on behalf of the Republic.

With regards to Manius Aemilius, there are but two important facts, neither of them in dispute. First, he is mad. I do not believe that this was ever in doubt, but it has been shown here today as clearly as ever. Second, he was merely a Tribune in Legio III Sicilia Aemilia at the time of the defeat at the Massilia Ford and he was not formally responsible for command of the Legion.

So, with that in mind, I ask the Senator to answer one single question:

Did you, at any time prior to or during the battle, disobey an order from Publius Laevinus?

Dooz
08-08-2006, 01:05
{Galerius Vatinius}

Objection! Senator Verginius, by your own admission, you have stated that Manius Aemilius is indeed mad. Now you ask him if he has disobeyed orders? Do you truly think a true and good answer will come of this? Something to base a case on? That's rubbish! You overlook the most important fact of this man's hooting tirade. Stenographer, may I have a look? ...Ah, yes.

Blasted legionnairres should keep their hands off other people's armor! But my spear was in the owl where I left it. *hoot!*

They had the legionnairry owl! I WANT MY FANCY OWL BACK!

As you can see Senators, the man refers to our eagle as the "owl", and were it by any circumstance other than his madness, he would have been crucified. However, the point here is that he clearly mentioned that he had his spear lodged in the legionary eagle before the battle! If this is about the honor of Rome, and the pride of the legion and it's eagle, I believe you can clearly see what we are dealing with here.

Lucjan
08-08-2006, 01:31
*Manius glares at the prosecutor, a kind of fire in his eyes that insinuates had the man asked him such a question in a place much darker and behind a building, he might not come out of the alley.*

"I do not, not obey! Never have I not obeyed..just because the pigman tells me to do things that don't make sense, doesn't mean I don't do them..no. The pigman tells me to guard the river ford...so I guard the river ford. Go take a see, go take a visit, take a vacation to sunny Massilia, only 300 denarrii and a kick in the bum said the man who drank much rum which upset his tum tum tum *HOOT!*. Have a walk around the ford..senator..our tents still sit there..abandoned because you took my legion. Because the pigman never showed up.. I always obeyed pigman's orders before the battle.. But how do I obey him in battle, if he is not actually there? He was probably off rolling in the mud. Not once did his banner fly near that fight *hoot!*."

*Manius's attention then turns to the rather vocal young senator.* "Not in the fancy owl! Dimwit..you never put the spear in the fancy owl! You pray to the fancy owl! The fancy owl *hoot*s victory..The fancy owl is for worship..it is a icon from the gods, given to the senate, then given to the Bathing Legion from Mars himself. Spear goes in the other owl.."

Servius, then, as his father quiets down, speaks briefly to settle some confusion. "If I may, senators...I had visited my father's encampment outside of Massillia once, not too long before the actual battle in question occurred, and there are, indeed, thirteen seperate objects to which the legion referred to as "the owl". And the legionairy eagle was not, the owl my father had a tendency to embed his spear in. And Senator Verginius..if I may, I defend my father not because of the potential stain this issue may have on my name or my grandfather's name, but because, by no fault of his or my own, whether I do so wish it were so or not, he is my father. And I will not abandon my family in its time of need."

econ21
08-08-2006, 02:12
[SENATE SPEAKER]: Has Galerius Vatinius any questions for Manius Aemilius? After those are concluded, the prosecutor has indicated a desire to make his case in full before any further witnesses are produced by the court.

Dooz
08-08-2006, 02:46
{Galerius Vatinius}

First, I will make an observation as to make a point about Manius' credibility, then ask my question, although perhaps pointless. Now, it has been confirmed by Manius Aemilius himself and his defender and son, Servius that he apparently has a habit of calling things by different names and misusing words. Keeping that in mind, how much can we take as fact when Senator Aemilius makes statements about Publius Laevinus' absence from the battlefield at the time of battle, or any other statement he might make for that matter? I don't even understand why he should be allowed to be here in the first place. One would think a nation such as Rome would have somewhere to put such people...

In any case, for the sake of the trial I will proceed with my question. Senator Aemilius, when and where was the last time and place you saw or heard from Senator Laevinus, and what were his orders?

Lucjan
08-08-2006, 12:50
Manius stares at the boy asking such silly questions and giggles. "I do not misuse words, I use them correctly. I use them quite correctly. The problem is the context. You don't understand the context. When put into context I *hoot!* my words quite correctly. You are like a bird..I see it in your eyes..a bird a bird, you are a bird. You nit and pick and caw at those who are different from you. You are a jay and I am a robin, and so you caw. And I *hoot!*. And so you caw...You would have me put away, but I would have you let astray, let you to the masses, let you to Rome. You would have me put away, but in letting you go free I would have you destroy yourself blue jay! The blue jay would pull it's feathers out. No more flying for the blue jay. *hoot!* The blue jay cannot tolerate what it perceives to be different, and that is the blue jay's flaw. And a temper..do not steal my worm blue jay..the robin bites back. *There is no hoot this time, rather a low, gurgling noise that turns into a watery, gargling laugh.* Too bad were you not so brave, too bad were you not so healthy as a Gaul..or you'd make too a nice owl for my spear. I nice place to put my prizes as I sleep, that the owl you might be if you were a gaul, could keep watch over it in the night..but you are no owl, you are a jay, a jealous, jealous jay."

*Manius's attention suddenly shifts back to the question at hand*.
Last time and place I saw the pigman...was a camp feast at the ford, few days before the battle, I do not know where the pigman marched his legion. I contested the seperation of the legions, but the pigman left anyway, providing me no reason. *Hoot* Pigman gave me two orders though..he said to guard the ford and do not leave the ford for any reason...this I did..this I did, and you took my legion from me for it! Pigman also told me to go get Sober, I looked as hard as I could, two times, but no man in my camp went by the name of Sober, so I stopped looking. *hoot!*

econ21
08-08-2006, 13:03
[SENATE SPEAKER]: I believe that concludes the cross-examination of the witness, although no doubt he could be recalled if required. We now await a statement of the prosecution case.

Dooz
08-08-2006, 13:07
{Galerius Vatinius}

Mm, wise words, wise words indeed Senator. Now as you were left officially in charge of the legion during the battle, the safety of the legionary eagle... or "fancy owl"... was in your hands. As you have expressed such affection and adulation for the legionary eagle, and understanding that it is a prized posession of this Senate, was it not a top priority for you to keep an eye on it and make sure no one harmed the fancy owl? Do you know what in fact happened to the eagle Senator Aemilius? Where was the last you saw it?

Lucjan
08-08-2006, 13:24
Manius, though fully understanding that his turn to speak is over, cannot resist the temptation to bark back, perhaps in a strange blink of sanity. "The legionary eagle was where it belonged, Cur! Resting in the able hands of the triarii! If the battle goes to the triarii than the situation is indeed quite dire, and when the commander of the damned legion dares not show his face then I must do what I must. The fight was a lost cause, my legion risked their very lives to defend that ford, and it cost them just that! I fought their general twice, the first time outnumbered more than a dozen to five, and the second with even worse odds, that I was dismounted by a blow and left incapacitated is by no fault of my own. I gave everything for the senate that day! *Manius slams his fist into the table as hard as he can, rising from his feet with a fire in his eyes* EVERYTHING! *And then..he slowly slips away from his moment, a cackle growing in his throat, his head twitching to the side and that wry smile returning to his face.* "Youu..little blue jay, you like to talk, you like to talk much." *He is now stepping down from the accused's dock and walking towards his son.* "I think you talk to the Gauls..I think you like that I lost my fancy owl...I think you took my fancy owl when my men chased away the gauls and forgot to come home...and the senate stole them from me, though I lost the fancy owl..I don't like how the blue jay watches the robin...blue jay better hope a hawk doesn't owe the robin a favor.."

Dooz
08-08-2006, 13:35
{Galerius Vatinius}

Uh, yes, well. Thank you for your... "testimony" and the amusing of this courtroom, no doubt. However, I would keep the death threats to a minimum were I you, I've had about enough of those from you and your son. As hated a man as I may be around the Senate, you Manius are a far more loathed creature around the country because of this fiasco and your unwholesome personality. A man who doesn't know reality from imagination could get hurt.

I yield the floor to the prosecution.

TinCow
08-08-2006, 23:50
Fathers, Citizens, Romans! We are here today to determine the guilt of Publius Laevinus, commander of Legio III Sicilia Aemilia at the time of its defeat at the Massilia crossing and the loss of the Roman Eagle. The gossip regarding this most severe of events has inundated the Republic from the very moment that it became known. Already there has been a much drama before this very court from various ‘interested’ parties and from colorful testimony. Members of the Jury, do not let these things distract you from the case at hand!

No matter what stories are told to you, no matter what antics the insane Senator Manius Aemilius engages in, no matter what excuses the defendant and his counsel give, you must remember that there are a great deal of indisputable facts before us. These facts cannot lie and the truth of the matter is plain to see, so long as you remember this. I shall lay these facts bare before you and you shall see, as must all the world, that there is only one conclusion that can be drawn: that Publius Laevinus was criminally negligent in his command of Legio III Sicilia Aemilia, that this negligence caused the loss of an Eagle of Rome, and that this negligence opened the entire Italian peninsula to Gallic invasion.

I will not lie to you; I will make a lengthy case. However, I urge you to listen to my words carefully and to consult the evidence I present in detail. I speak at length because I wish justice to be done. It must not be said that Publius Laevinus was given an unfair trial, that he was convicted without proper review of the facts. I wish to review all of the facts that are pertinent to that day, so that, when his guilt is inevitably determined, no one will say that justice was not done.

The Battle

We shall begin with the event that brought us here today, the battle at the Massilia ford in the winter of 261, in the consulship of Tiberius Coruncanius. The battle was fought between the 721 men of Legio III Sicilia Aemilia and the Gallic horde under Drustan of Decetia, 1,389 strong. The battle resulted in the defeat and rout of Legio III, whose survivors fled to Massilia, and the loss of the Legion’s Eagle. In this defeat, 541 Romans were killed at the price of some 446 Gauls, with an additional 100 or so only mildly wounded.

https://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/TinCow/RTR%20Senate%20PBM/trial_battle.jpg

As we can plainly see, Legio III was outnumbered nearly two to one and caused nearly an equal number of casualties to their foes. Were this any other battle between any other nations, such a result might be considered acceptable. Yet, it is special because its result was tragic, dishonorable and most significantly unexpected. In order to determine what made this result unusual, we must seek answers beyond those that statistics can provide. There are five important elements that must be considered to discover the reality of the event: the history of Legio III Sicilia Aemilia, the battlefield itself, our knowledge of Gallic armies, our knowledge of Drustan of Decetia, and finally, the leadership of Legio III Sicilia Aemilia.

The History of Legio III Sicilia Aemilia

Legio III Sicilia Aemilia was formed in the winter of 274 in consulship of Lucius Aemilius, in whose honor it was named. Publius Laevinus was immediately given command of the Legion as a Legate. Legio III remained in Sicily for some time before attempting an invasion of Corsica, which was then controlled by Carthage. Faulty intelligence resulted in the Legion landing in a poor location and it had to be temporarily evacuated to Italy. In the winter of 273, the Legion once again landed in Corsica, this time successfully assaulting and taking Aleria from the Punic forces. In this battle, Legio III lost 10 men and destroyed the entire Punic garrison of 169 men.

After this first successful blooding, the Legion was transferred to Cisalpine Gaul where it secured and garrisoned Jenuensis until 272, when it marched west to take Massilia with Publius Pansa and Luca Mamilius serving as Tribunes to Legate Publius Laevinus. The Legion took the city of Massilia from its 250 local defenders at the cost of 76 men. Leaving Publius Pansa behind to oversee the province, the Legion immediately took up a defensive position at what has since become known as the Massilia Ford. Soon afterwards, the Legion, then composed of 530 men, was assaulted by 1,772 Gauls under the warchief Meriadoc. In what was to become a famous battle, Legio III won a heroic victory, killing 1,719 of the Gauls for the loss of only 138 Romans. In 270, the Legion took the war to the enemy, ambushing and killing 255 Gauls, including the warchief Virsuccius, for the loss of only 8 men.

In the summer of 270, under my own consulship, Tribune Luca Mamilius finished his time with the Legion, which was soon after assaulted once again by the Gauls. Legio III repeated its heroic defense of the ford, this time killing 1,519 Gauls for the loss of 160 Romans. That same winter, Legio III fought a third battle at the Massilia Ford. This one also became famous as 1,071 Gauls under Eporedorix were killed for the loss of but 8 men. After this battle, Legio III was sent back to Cisalpine Gaul to rest and refit. In the Summer of 268, with their numbers replenished, the Legion marched back across the Alps and once more took up their position at the Massilia Ford. For a short while, Vibius Pleminius served in the Legion as Tribune to Legate Publius Laevinus, before departing for the governorship of Tarentum.

In the summer of 265, under the consulship of Tiberius Coruncanius, Legio III was relieved by Legio I and moved to guard the Illyrian border. Here they remained until the war with Macedon began, at which point they returned west to once again guard the Massilia Ford. They stood this post until the winter of 261, when they were defeated by the Gauls.

This is the history of a glorious and decorated Legion. Prior to the defeat at the Massilia Ford, Legio III Sicilia Aemilia had slain 4,983 of the enemy for the loss of only 400 of their own. In their battles, the Legion had thrice defended the Massilia Ford against a horde of Gauls that sometimes outnumbered them three or four to one. Two of these battles have since become famous amongst the Roman people and the defeat of Meriadoc in 271 is known to be taught in the Scriptorium here in Rome as an example of proper river-crossing defense. Legio III was not a simple ill-trained, poorly equipped rabble. It was a proper Legion of Rome that gained renown in its bravery and success against the enemies of the Republic. At the time of the defeat, it was neither undermanned nor otherwise ill-disposed to fight a battle. Far from it, Legio III was actually supplemented by extra cohorts not normally allocated to a Legion, making it the largest single Legion in the entire Republic at the time of the battle.

Legio III Sicilia Aemilia at the time of the defeat at the Massilia Ford:
https://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/TinCow/RTR%20Senate%20PBM/trial_legio_iii.jpg

Citizens and jury members, my point in reciting all of this is to make one fact clear: the men of Legio III Sicilia Aemilia were not at fault for their defeat. At no point their entire history before that day had there ever been even the slightest cause to believe that the men of Legio III lacked in skill or bravery. These were the finest sons of Rome, worthy of service in any of Rome’s armies. I personally would have been proud to lead them in battle, if I had been given a chance. During the long days and endless marches of the Gallic Expedition, I would often spur the men of Consular I Army on to further successes by exhorting them to outdo their brothers in Legio III Sicilia Aemilia, the Legion which had inflicted great defeats on the Gauls time and time again. This was a glorious Legion.

It is possible for some men to fail even after a track record of glorious successes, but ask yourselves is it possible for 721 men to do so all at once after nearly 15 years of exemplary service? We all know the answer to that. The men themselves, those sons of Rome, were not at fault that day. Yet, if they were not at fault, then the cause must lie elsewhere.

The Battlefield

The Massilia Ford has likely become the best-known battlefield in the history of the Republic. No less than 7 battles have been fought on that exact same spot, with two of them being so well known to the Roman people that they are the subject of popular theatrical dramas. It addition to being supremely well-known, the site is arguable the single strongest defensible point in the entire Republic. It sits at the entrance to the only western pass through the Alpine Mountains. Though other passes exist to the north, they are difficult to traverse and rarely do enemy armies traffic them. For all essential purposes, this is the only efficient route from Gaul to the Cisalpine province and Italy itself.

The Massilia Ford is just that, a single ford across the boundary river north of Massilia. There is not a single other place to cross that can be used by an enemy force. All who wish to transit into Roman territory must cross through this narrow stretch of shallow water. A defense army here cannot be flanked, cannot be ambushed, cannot be out-maneuvered. At this spot, even force of numbers means little, as there is no broad front on which to deploy. There is one simple and effective tactic on this battlefield that has always worked and will always work. This well-known painting of the very first battle of Massilia ford, fought by Publius Laevinus and Legio III themselves, offers a classic view of such a tactic being employed in battle.

https://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/TinCow/RTR%20Senate%20PBM/trial_tactic.jpg

In the six battles fought here prior to the defeat, every single one was fought by a Roman Legion against a Gallic horde. In those battles, a total of 6,220 Gauls fell at a cost of only 322 Romans. The last four battles war particularly successful for the Republic with 2,982 Gauls dead for the cost of but 24 Romans. These ratios of nearly 125 to 1 in the final four battles and nearly 20 to 1 overall are unparalleled in the history of the Republic. Our generals regularly win battles with kill ratios of six or seven to one, with the great Lucius Aemilius achieving the impressive rate of twelve kills to every Roman loss. Yet not even his abilities on the field come close to matching the performance of all Roman Legions on this battlefield.

Simply put, the Massilia Ford is a fortress as strong as Rome itself. This is not a spot where Legio III was ambushed by the enemy. Publius Laevinus was not caught in the open with the enemy on higher ground. No, the commander of Legio III was in the strongest, most defensible position in the entire Republic, possibly in the known world. Clearly the terrain did not cause this defeat. Yet, if it was not at fault, then the cause must lie elsewhere.

The Gallic Armies

The Gauls are a fearsome and loathsome race whose entire existence is bent on war and destruction. The Republic was first exposed to their brutality in 387 when Brennus sacked the city, destroying all but the Capitoline hill. Yet, from that time until the defeat at the Massilia Ford, Rome prevailed in every single battle against this degenerate horde. While they are warlike and barbaric, their very incivility deprives them of tactical superiority and skill in battle. They rely on brute strength and massed numbers to carry the day, tactics which are ineffective against properly armed and trained men from civilized nations.

If you need proof, you need only consult the records of our battles. Roman Legions take far fewer casualties when facing Gallic hordes than when facing civilized armies of a similar size. Simply put, the individual Gaul is a fearsome and hideous creature that is dangerous in combat, but as en masse they lack the skill to prosecute a successful military campaign against an organized foe.

This is not to say that the Gauls have not fielded formidable armies against us. In the peak of their years, before the Gallic Expedition had ravaged their lands, hardened warriors who wielded swords and spears alike took the field against us. So too did the noble elite of the Gallic nation. While the whole remained a rabble, many Gallic armies contained a hardened core of dangerous warriors whose skill was never underestimated by those who fought them… and lived. Yet, despite all of this, their forces never prevailed against us. In the 20 years that passed between the consulship of the great Quintus and the defeat at the Massilia Ford, Roman armies fought and won 24 consecutive victories against the Gauls. Not once did our citizens waver, not once did our citizens fail. Even in the face of incredible odds and taken by surprise, as was the case during the Ambush of Legio I, Roman arms carried the day. Simply put, the Gallic race is inferior in the art of war to the sons of Romulus.

The Gallic armies are ferocious and they must be exterminated, but they can be readily defeated by a properly trained, properly equipped, and properly led Roman Legion. The force that broke Legio III that cursed day was no different from those that had preceded it. If anything, it was inferior to many that had come before it. They had superior numbers, but the odds have been far greater many times before. Their men were not even the elite ‘chosen’ warriors who have opposed us in the past. Our agents were able to survey the Gallic force during the battle and its composition is known to us.

The Gallic horde under Drustan of Decetia, at the time of the defeat at the Massilia Ford:
https://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/TinCow/RTR%20Senate%20PBM/trial_gauls.jpg

As you can plainly see, the Gallic army was not special, it was not unique, it was not elite. This was a force composed of raw levies of untrained warbands with a small number of swordsmen and slingers, far from a fearsome and unexpected foe. This was a below-average Gallic army and was in no way superior to anything the Republic had faced before, nor for that matter was it even remotely unusual. This was not an army capable of seizing a Roman Eagle held by a properly trained, properly equipped, and properly led Roman Legion. Yet, if this horde did not decide the matter through its sheer superiority, then the cause must lie elsewhere.

Drustan of Decetia

Perhaps then it was the Gallic commander who was supremely skilled in the arts of war. Perhaps that day Legio III faced not merely a man, but an Unwashed Alexander. *chuckles* I apologies for my jests, but it is difficult for me to make serious comparisons between Gauls and civilized heroes. Fortunately, there is no serious comparison to make. Our agents were able to observe Drustan for a great deal of time and his true nature was fully known to us.

Drustan of Decetia at the time of the defeat at the Massilia Ford:
https://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/TinCow/RTR%20Senate%20PBM/trial_drustan.jpg

As you can plainly see, he is a fearsome and bloodthirsty warrior who likes his drink and who thrives in the bloody assault. Yet nowhere do I see any indications of tactical genius beyond his years. Do not let the ‘stars’ on this man’s banners fool you, citizens. It is a well known fact that all barbarian nobles are gifted with a tendency towards battle from birth. A perusal of the histories of the Consuls will show many similarly ‘starred’ Gallic commanders who died feebly in battle with Roman arms. In any event, even measured by this one attribute alone, Drustan was not superior to Publius Laevinus in tactical affairs. Some would rank them equal in this regard, but let me ask you, citizens. Who is superior in tactical affairs, an unblooded Gallic youth who has yet to face battle or an experienced Roman commander who has never lost a battle and who has repeatedly defeated larger and more fearsome foes? The answer is obvious. Drustan of Decetia, may the Gods curse his name, is a beast and a barbarian, but he is neither unusually skilled in the arts of war nor superior to one of our foremost Legates. This was not a man who could single-handedly create victory over a properly trained, properly equipped, and properly led Roman Legion. Yet, if he did not decide the matter through personal abilities, then the cause must lie elsewhere.

The Leadership of Legio III Sicilia Aemilia

And so we find ourselves faced with the last aspect of the battle: those who led the Legion on that fateful day. This is the only abnormality in what would have been an otherwise unremarkable battle. When all else is conventional, that which is unconventional must be the cause. Let us begin with a biography of Publius Laevinus.

Publius Laevinus was born in 311 into an honorable patrician family. Early on, he gained great favor amongst the nobility of Rome and was granted the hand of the eldest daughter of the most honored Quintus himself. He had potential and it was clear he desired power and influence in the Republic. He was well known as a consummate politician and it showed in his actions.

Publius Laevinus in 280:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/simon.appleton1/Publius_Laevinus.jpg

His ambitions were made clear when he ran for Consul in the elections of 280. Yet, despite his skill in politics, he tied for last place in the election and was never a true contender for leadership. He did not let this setback stifle him though, as it was his own father-in-law, the great Quintus, who was elected in his place, and none could fault that decision. He was appointed governor of Rome during the crisis of the Pyrrhic War. He saw service with Legio I during this time, but only as a defensive force which never saw combat. Eventually he was appointed governor of Syracuse, where Quintus believed his skills could successfully convert this Greek city into a prosperous Roman province. As such, the Consulship of Quintus ended with Publius Laevinus in positions of power, but of minor significance in the scope of Republican affairs, and most importantly, unproven in war.

None of us knows how Publius Laevinus conducted his private life during that time, but it was clear that he nurtured his personal pleasures and ambitions. His distain of alcohol, his unusually excessive indulgence in expensive pleasures, and his frugality in gubernatorial expenditures began to alienate those around him. It was clear that idleness brought out the worst in him, conflicting as it did with his lively nature.

Publis Laevinus in 275:
https://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/TinCow/RTR%20Senate%20PBM/Publius_Laevinus_275.jpg

He was taken from this situation in 274, when Consul Lucius Aemilius gave him command of a few cohorts and a small detachment of auxilia to effect the conquest of the Punic island of Melite. The enemy garrison was tiny, a single cohort of Carthaginians, but Publius Laevinus performed admirably, losing but 2 men in the entire invasion; a praiseworthy achievement for a commander new to battle and a good prediction of his future abilities. Based on this success, he was given personal command of Legio III Sicilia Aemilia, which he was lead from that time until this very year. His time with the Legion was one of great successes and greater promise. As it turned out, Publius Laevinus was born to strategic and tactical command.

In 273 he successfully conquered Aleria. In 272 he successful advocated the importance of Massilia in securing the borders of the Republic. Entirely won over by his strategic brilliance, the Senate voted in full accordance with his battle plans. He personally led the expedition and in 271 he took Massilia. Shortly after the conquest of the city he took up the first defense of the Massilia Ford, whose strategic importance he had been the first to realize and proclaim. His genius in this matter was proved when he beat off the first attack on the Massilia Ford later that year, and attack conducted by a force nearly four times the size of his own. It could truly be said after this time that Publius Laevinus single-handedly gave Transalpine Gaul to Rome. In the recent history of the Republic, no one man has been so important to one single territory. While his taste for personal pleasures continued to grow, he grained great renown during this time for his skill as a soldier, a tactician, and a strategist. It looked like the beginning of a career to rival the best the Republic had ever seen.

Publius Laevinus in 270:
https://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/TinCow/RTR%20Senate%20PBM/publius_laevinus_270.jpg

It was on the back of these great successes that Publius Laevinus entered into the consular election of 270. Yet, for all his political skill and all his military successes, he once again polled dead last amongst the candidates. Again, we do not know how this affected him personally, but it could not have been easy to be beaten so heavily by his own son-in-law. Despite this, his command of Legio III remained exemplary and he led them to two more dramatic victories against the Gauls at Massilia Ford. It might be said that that year, 270, was the pinnacle of his career. For a time he was the most celebrated man in the Republic.

All glories must eventually fade however. As the Gallic Expedition moved west, Legio III was retired to Cisalpine Gaul to refit, removing him from the line of battle. As time went on, my successes with Consular I Army and Lucius Aemilius’ successes with Legio I Italia Victrix were the only ones spoken of in the streets. When the plight of Quintus and Legio IV Gallica became the supreme interest of the Senate and plebs alike, no mention was made of Legio III or its commander at all. Publius Laevinus had been forgotten, and it must have been a bitter taste in his mouth. His reputation as a commander had grown during this period, but his continued personal excesses, and his newly developed stern nature and strong language further alienated him from those whose respect he surely desired. To add to this misery, in 266, his son-in-law Vibius Pleminius, a promising young Senator, was killed in battle in Appolonia. This must have darkened his already depressed mood.

Publius Laevinus in 265:
https://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/TinCow/RTR%20Senate%20PBM/265/publius_laevinus_265.jpg

When the election of 265 was held, he did not even bother to run. This was the beginning of his descent into the abyss of his own soul. As war in the east developed to a scale unexpected to all, with Greece, Macedon and even Illyria arrayed against us, Publius Laevinus and Legio III guarded Cisalpine Gaul and then Transalpine Gaul. He served in crucial positions, ensuring the security of Italy and even Rome itself from the barbaric hordes, but I suspect that was not how he saw it. There were no foes to be fought, not plunder to be taken, no glories to be had. To a man such as him, his posts may have been more like punishment for an underserved crime, and so this once great man deteriorated into a cesspool of jealousy and despair.

With no great conquests to occupy his lively nature, no public acclaim to satisfy the natural politician in him, he became a sad dichotomy. He loved the finer things in life, demanding the best of everything, yet was frugal and refused to pay for them. Furthermore he alternately indulged himself in luxuries and deprived himself of all but the necessities in emulation of the Spartans. His publicly proclaimed political ambitions grew to new heights, but he developed a truly foul mouth that betrayed his attempts at great oratory, a serious flaw for a prominent Senator. Finally and most tragically, his intellect itself began to deteriorate. Perhaps it was the brooding on opportunities missed, on successes denied, but he became totally ignorant of public affairs and even the world around him. However, this was not a natural-born trait which he was inflicted with against his own will. Make no mistake; his ignorance of affairs in the world around him was the result of his own actions. In the Spring of 261 came the event that must have finally broken this once proud Roman: the death of his youngest son Marcus Laevinus while leading the garrison of Scodra to battle against Macedon. I do not pretend to know the pain of the loss of a son, but it is surely great. The Senate has lost three members in recent years. Two of those members died violently and both were the heirs of Publius Laevinus.

It could not have been easy for this man to see his own ambitions fail while others succeeded. It must have been infinitely harder to see his own family die when the sons of all of his contemporaries continued to live. His descent into isolation and ignorance was certainly understandable, but it did not relieve him of the responsibility of command. He let his personal life overwhelm his duties to Rome and he began to neglect his daily work and make foolish decisions. It was this man that was in charge of Legio III Sicilia Aemilia when the Gauls attacked.

Publius Laevinus in the winter of 261:
https://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/TinCow/RTR%20Senate%20PBM/trial_publius.jpg

We must not forget the other prominent figure who was in a position of leadership in Legio III at that time; though I scarcely believe that is possible after witnessing the most recent events. I do, of course, refer to Manius Aemilius. A recounting of his history is relatively unimportant to this matter, and a brief glimpse will suffice. Needless to say, the eldest son of our current Consul has always been a bit odd. Manius Aemilius developed a rather eccentric personality from the very beginning. Yet, despite his many… peculiarities… the boy became well liked amongst the people, due mainly to the entertaining nature of his own person and his followers. In this capacity he served Rome well as a student and then the governor of Syracuse for many years. Though he did not distinguish himself in any managerial aspect, his tendency to please the people made the Romanization of this large Greek city far smoother than it would otherwise have been.

Despite his flaws, which clearly made him unsuitable for command of a Legion, Manius Aemilius still deserved the right that all good citizens from prominent families have, namely to serve for a short period as a Tribune in a Legion. And so, in the consulship of Tiberius Coruncanius, Manius was transferred from Syracuse to serve in Legio III at the Gallic border. It is important to understand that Manius was sent there purely to gain the prestige that military service can offer to men later in life, and perhaps in the hope that the experience would cure his illnesses. Regardless, it was an insignificant assignment for the Republic and one purely given out of courtesy and propriety.

There was no danger to be had in placing such a man in Legio III. How could there be when the great Publius Laevinus, master of Massilia and guardian of the Ford, was there to oversee all affairs? As we all know, a Tribune serving in a Legion under a Legate does not command except at the will of his superior. Any leadership decisions given to the Tribune are given through the authority of the Legate himself, who assumes direct responsibility for his understudy’s actions.

To be certain, some Tribunes can prove themselves entirely worthy of great responsibilities. In my own experience, I found Amulius Coruncanius to be of exceptional value during the Gallic Expedition and during many a battle he led a force of full Legion strength, operating independently from the main body and out of communication with me. I gave him this great responsibility because I had judged that he was worthy of it. Yet, had Amulius failed in his leadership and had disaster befallen his men as a result, it would have been my own fault for improperly judging the worth of the man and it would have been right to summon me before a court.

It is true that all men are responsible for their own actions and must reap the consequences of their failures. Yet we must not forget the responsibilities of a teacher to a student, of a father to a son. These are the responsibilities which also exist between a Legate and a Tribune when operating in the field. If a boy of 5 years steals a coin from a passerby, do we put him on trial for his crime? No, of course not. We punish the father for failing in his duties to his son. When positions of responsibility over others are taken, the failings of the subordinates are the crimes of their masters. So it has always been and so it was in Legio III at the Massilia Ford.

This brings us at last to the inevitable conclusion. The events that day are clouded with uncertainty. Manius Aemilius has given us an account of things, but Galerius Vatinius has rightly pointed out that his illness makes his statements inconsistent and unreliable. Undoubtedly we will hear a different version of things from Publius Laevinus himself, should he choose to testify and further versions from any other witnesses that are produced. Yet, I assert to you that what occurred there that day, who did what and when, matters not to these proceedings.

As we have discovered by reviewing the pure facts, that evidence known to us to be an absolute truth, there was only unusual aspect in that day’s battle. The Legion itself was in fine condition, the battlefield was well-known and advantageous to the Republic, the Gallic force that opposed them was numerous but below even their meager quality standards, and Drustan of Decetia was no different than any other Gallic general. Citizens, jurors, the only thing that was unusual about that day was the leadership of Legio III Sicilia Aemilia.

It matters not whether Publius Laevinus or Manius Aemilius was in command during the battle. If Publius Laevinus was in command, then he was responsible for his own failures, and thus he is guilty of the charges brought against him. If Manius Aemilius was in command, then Publius Laevinus was responsible for putting a man not fit for leadership of a Legion in charge of the most strategically important spot in the entire Republic. Thus, he is again guilty of the charges brought against him.

That day those sons of Rome found themselves commanded by a bitter, insular man. A man who believed he had missed his opportunity for greatness. His defeats in the Senate, the fading of his brilliance from the public eye and the success of others ate at him. While wars raged elsewhere, he fought a battle within his soul, and lost. That day Legio III Sicilia Aemilia was commanded by a man who had become ignorant of the ways of society and the world. His personal issues clouded his judgment and prevented him from fulfilling his duties to the Republic. Perhaps he retired to Massilia to spend the day brooding on the past or perhaps he commanded the Legion himself. Regardless, he was negligent in his command. His negligence resulted in the near destruction of his Legion. His negligence resulted in the loss of an Eagle of Rome. His negligence opened all of Cisalpine Gaul and even Italy itself to barbarian invasion.

It matters not what form this negligence took. That day at the Massilia Ford, the leadership of Legio III failed in its duties. Publius Laevinus was responsible for all decisions made by all the leaders of Legio III. Therefore it was Publius Laevinus who failed in his duties.

Braden
08-09-2006, 00:07
{Decius} - We are clearly seeking to what "Level" of Guilt resides and with whom Senator.

Manius, you may now be seated, we have finished asking you questions at this time. Please refrain from interrupting.

Whilst we await the account of Publius Laevinus, I will submit the testimony of one Marcus Arettius, a Centurion in the....(refers to notes)....Third Cohort of the Legion, who was also the Legions Encampment Centurion on duty.
Baliff, be so good as to usher the officer in please.

A man leaves by a side door and shortly returns with a clearly wounded man. Dour of expression, clearly in physical pain, he still tries to walk at a steady pace. He takes the centre of the room as directed and faces Decius.

{Decius} - You are Marcus Arettius, formally, Centurion of the Third Cohort...Legio III, are you not? I will remind you that you have taken an oath to uphold the laws of the Republic when you took the coin of the Legion...

{Marcus} - Aye, I am him.

{Decius} - Centurion Arettius, please, in your own words, tell the Senators present of the events immediately leading up to and during the fateful day?

{Marcus} - *cough* Sir, yes sir, I will. Twas about half past the hour of three in the afternoon Sir. I was about a quart way into my shift as Encampment Centurion, our perimeter scouts reported in through the gate house....Gatehouse West Sir as I recall. They reported to me as is proceedure but, as dictated any reports or news had to be reported directly to the Tribune so I sent them on their way.

{Decius} - At this time, did anything appear abnormal? I mean, were they aggitated at all?

{Marcus} - Oh, greatly Sir. Hence I sent them off to the Tribune with a guide as fast as possible Sir.

{Decius} - Very good...(makes a note).....do continue.

{Marcus} - (nervously} Ah, yes, well I guess it was but an hour later that I saw the Tribune himself, on horse, leave the camp. Face of fury he had sir, red as Mars himself and just as wrathfull.

{Decius} - did you see the scouts again?

{Marcus} - Sorry, nay sir, they would have had no need or requirement to report to me again after seeing the Tribune.

{Decius} - and you are sure they reported to the Tribune then?

{Marcus} - Aye Sir, the guide reported back to me for re-assignment not 10 minutes after I sent him off with them. He took them direct to the Tribunes tent Sir and saw them enter.

{Decius} - and where is this guide now?

{Marcus} - Sorry to say sir, dead sir.

{Decius} - (almost absently) Pity........erm, do go on.

{Marcus} - so, twas 'bout another 2 hour sir when we heard the Gallic beasts. I was nearing the end of my stag but went to rouse the Tribune but he was not to be found. I set up pickets though and awaited orders...it was then that we managed to alert, as would be for the battle, acting Tribune Aemilius. He told us to....erm....he told, well, I'm afraid he told us that we were not to worry as the wings we had would save us if anything went wrong......beg ya' pard'n Sir but those where the words he used. We was alone Sir, not something we're used to, but tribute to the Legion we got busy and soon got into the automatic routine of fighting.

Pickets were recalled and we broke camp, sorry to report though that the Gauls had reached the river and we were sorely pressed. Still we remembered what we'd done to those scum years back so we just marched in our recognised formations into battle. (laughs to himself) Old Aemilius rode up and down the lines on 'is horse, spouting insults at the Gauls....some that even us vets 'addn't heard of.....did give us some cheer that did....

{Decius} - yesss....so, what column were you in Centurion?

{Marcus} - forth column, left flank. We're 2nd wave in Sir. Anyway, the Gauls had started to cross the river Sir so we did battle. Terrible it was sir, the centre was hit hard and outnumbered and then we went in......(drifts off slightly)....terrible bloody it was....the water was as red as a roof tile with blood sir, we fought on but we was outnumbered and wondered where the third line was.....seems they hadn't moved up yet, being without a Tribune to direct them an 'all, still I did see the acting Tribune charge into combat 'imself with the Gaul heavy cavalry sir, they were flanking us sorely is for sure sir an' he stopped them. Shame was he was outnumbered.

Still we fought on but I could see we was collapsing, I then saw the old guys move in...Eagle raised high....the Triari it was....they waded in with such vigour and courage I was sure they'd turn the fight....but it seems they was too late.

Sorry to say that's all I recall in much detail seeing as I was wounded then and fell in the water.

{Decius} - and, for the Senators benefit, how did you survive?

{Marcus} - seems Jupiter loves me sir, I fell into deep water and was somehow carried downstream a'ways sir. Then a farmer found me and took me to the town where you're man tracked me down, he.......

{Decius} - That is sufficient! Centurion, the Senate need not know futher details of your trip here. Please, you may now return to the infirmary, I see your wounds trouble you greatly.

*the centurion leaves, visibly limping and blood seeping from his new wounds*

{Decius} - Senators, there you have a first hand account, granted a far from complete account but some of what was said is clear and I am greatly interested to hear Publius Laevinus' own account now.

Lucjan
08-09-2006, 00:33
Manius seems pleased with himself, a somewhat cocky grin spread from ear to ear. He whispers to the centurion as he passes. "If the pigman was there, we'd have slaughtered those buzzards!"

econ21
08-09-2006, 00:53
The testimony of Publius Laevinus

I will not identify myself. This court is full of Romans. They know their Princeps Senatus.

I do not recognise the authority of this court. How can the Princeps Senatus be judged by a lowly spy? I know you, Decius Curtius: you are a deceiver, a manipulator, a man of the shadows. I can think of no one less well qualified to bring light on an important matter of state.

As to the prosecutor, Augustus Verginius: you too, my adopted son, turn against me? After promising on the Senate floor to defend me? You cannot imagine how that hurts, Augustus. Almost as much as my being passed over for First Consul in favour of my own son - and an adopted one at that! I see your ambition has once again got the better of you. Do you wish to receive favours from First Consul Aemilius? Perhaps you plan to run for First Consul after him and he has promised his support in return for wielding the knife against his old rival? Or is this a coup d’etat and you are impatient being designated the future Princeps Senatus and wish to usurp my position now?

The court has seen fit to appoint Galerius Vatinus as my lawyer. He is still but a child! How can he possibly defend a man like me? He is a good child and one I feel some affection for given his wish to aid me, but a child nonetheless. He can no more defend me than a mouse can defend a lion.

On the substance of the charges against me, I was reading an old transcript of Senate proceedings and came across the following words that seem pertinent here:

We are no longer fighting to keep our country alive. Even if we lose a major battle then what? We lose a province or two in Africa or Gaul at most. Oh no. Pyrrhus is no longer at our doorstep. A defeat is now only a minor setback instead of a death sentence. We as a whole must learn to accept that military defeats will occure because we have reached a point in our growth where a defeat is not nearly so serious as it once was.

These words, which I spoke to the Senate over a decade ago, now seem prophetic. Listen to the prosecutor: he does not need to know what happened at the ford, I am guilty regardless. Whether traitors led the Gauls across the ford at the night or whether I slept through the battle, it matters not to him. Merely to lose a battle is a crime in itself.

Romans, this is a witch hunt, an outrage! We lose a single battle and suddenly prominent Romans are thrown on trial. Gentlemen - this is war. In war, sometimes you may lose a battle! Have we become so complacent that we have forgotten that truth?! What was the outcome of our defeat at Masilia ford? Nothing. We did not even lose the settlement. Indeed, the Gauls did not cross - they retired. The Iberians then helpfully assumed our duty of guarding the ford and prevented the Gauls from crossing even if they ever intended to.

Gentlemen of the court, you act as if a Roman defeat is unprecedented. Under our present First Consul, Lucius Aemilius, we lost an entire settlement, Aleria, to the Carthaginians. Was he put on trial? Was he censored? Was even an angry voice raised against him in the Senate? No, he was elected for an unprecedented second term! And rightly so, because such things happen in war and the loss of Aleria was not his fault. Even my prosecutor, Augustus Verginius, presided over the debacle at Apollonia, where Quintus was trapped and defeated by Greeks.

Romans, you know me! You know my worth - what I have done for Rome. The prosecutor has laid out my record well enough. At the very Massilia ford in the Autumn of 270, I defeated an army of 1800 Gauls with a mere 500 Romans. We killed nearly every last Gaul for the loss of only 100 of our own. I challenge any man in the Senate to match that achievement! Can I man not make one mistake? Not err once without being thrown in the dock?

Senators, look at yourselves! Have you no shame? Put an end to this absurd trial now!

econ21
08-09-2006, 01:05
[SENATE SPEAKER]: The prosecution may now submit any questions it has for the defendant. The defendant has asked for a brief recess due to fatigure and will return tomorrow to address any matters arising from his testimony.

TinCow
08-09-2006, 01:51
I certainly felt guilt at the notion of becoming Prosecutor, but I did it in the name of the Republic, setting aside my own personal feelings. What I have heard here today makes me glad I chose as I did. Publius Laevinus has shown us who he truly is, a paranoid, self-pitying man who is ignorant of the world. He believes the event which brought us here was nothing more than a simple mistake of no importance to the Republic.

Yes, I have questions.

1) Considering that Legio III was fully manned, the battlefield entirely in your favor, the Gallic army unremarkable, the Gallic general an unimpressive foe, and the SIX previous Roman victories under those exact same conditions, what excuse do you believe makes your loss as justifiable as those of Aleria and Apollonia?

2) Were you aware that, following your defeat, the Gauls could have easily slaughtered the remanants of your Legion, taken Massilia and crossed the Alps unopposed?

3) Do you always trust that Rome's enemies will not exploit their successes?

4) Are you aware that your defeat has stretched the Republic's armies so thin that a Student is now the only general capable of defending Cisalpine Gaul and all of Italy and that all of Legio II is being transferred from Macedon to ensure the safety of Rome itself?

5) Do you consider the near total destruction of a Legion to be a minor defeat?

6) Do you consider the loss of an Eagle to be an insignificant matter?

7) Do you believe that Manius Aemilius is fit to command a Legion?

Dooz
08-09-2006, 04:42
{Galerius Vatinius}

Senators, I... resign my duties as defense counsil for Publius Laevinus in light of recent statements. My apologies for an inadequate showing... I suppose this Republic still believes that age is the ultimate divider. Or perhaps I just misjudged Publius based of his former glory. I didn't think such change was possible in such a short amount of time, but prosecutor Verginius has compelled me otherwise. I thank you for this opportunity as a young student I was given.

econ21
08-09-2006, 15:42
[Publius Laevinus]: Yes, run along, little Vatinius, I think I hear your tutor calling you in for lessons. Your break time must have ended. And don't forget to blow raspberries in the Senate and shout "I told you so!" as you go. This is a fine set-up: the man who volunteers for my defence becomes the prosecutor and the child assigned to replace him becomes his monkey!

To address the prosecutor's questions:

1) Considering that Legio III was fully manned, the battlefield entirely in your favor, the Gallic army unremarkable, the Gallic general an unimpressive foe, and the SIX previous Roman victories under those exact same conditions, what excuse do you believe makes your loss as justifiable as those of Aleria and Apollonia?

Sorry, was that a question? I thought it was another of your interminable speeches. Is this how you brought down the Gauls, Augustus, by making them listen to you talk?

2) Were you aware that, following your defeat, the Gauls could have easily slaughtered the remanants of your Legion, taken Massilia and crossed the Alps unopposed?

Could have being the operative word. Just as the Carthagainians could return in force to Sicily or any of the outlying islands and seize them virtually unopposed. You cannot convict a man for a "could have"...

3) Do you always trust that Rome's enemies will not exploit their successes?

Rome's enemies sometimes seem predictable by comparison with her so-called servants. But no, in war, one never trusts the enemy to do anything. One makes contingencies and is prepared.

4) Are you aware that your defeat has stretched the Republic's armies so thin that a Student is now the only general capable of defending Cisalpine Gaul and all of Italy and that all of Legio II is being transferred from Macedon to ensure the safety of Rome itself?

No, that is not I, Verginius, that is successive First Consuls who have wished to wage war on the cheap, using light forces and instead accumulate wasteful surpluses. Surpluses that you applaud, Augustus, and indeed legislated for. This tendency was particularly marked under the last First Consul and I fear we are seeing the chickens come home to roost under the present one.

5) Do you consider the near total destruction of a Legion to be a minor defeat?

When the history of the Republic is finished, that episode will register as little more than a blip. I would have said that, if nothing worse happens, the Republic would indeed be blessed. But I have heard the sad news of the destruction of the First Consular Army and do not need to make the point.

6) Do you consider the loss of an Eagle to be an insignificant matter?

It is but a symbol. And one might even say that, since such symbols mean so much to the common folk, they will fight all the more enthusiastically to retrieve it.

7) Do you believe that Manius Aemilius is fit to command a Legion?

Any tribune must be fit to command a Legion in the absence of his Legate. If that man is unfit, the fault lies with the First Consuls who assigned him to darken my tent in the first place.

08-09-2006, 20:07
Senators,

I did not intend to interfere with this trial unless asked, but I feel forced to speak.

I am frankly horrified by the attitude displayed by my old friend Publius Laevinius. His comments about the legionary eagle

It is but a symbol. And one might even say that, since such symbols mean so much to the common folk, they will fight all the more enthusiastically to retrieve it.

fill me with revulsion of this heinous blasphemer ! *Spits on the senate floor in front of Publius Laevinius*

No wonder we were defeated at Massilia ! With his disrespective attitude to the Gods, it is no wonder our nation is now cursed by ill fortune due to loss of the sacred legionary eagle. I lay the defeat of our Consular Army I and the loss of so many men, including my good friend, the co-consul Amulius Coruncanius, at your doorstep !

As one of few men, I had volunteered to speak up in your defense, because of friendship earned in battle long ago. I now declare our friendship void and my support withdrawn. Furthermore, as long as I have the power to do so, you will not have command of a military force ever again.

* points finger at Publius Laevinius *

I can see the way this is going. You will try to pin your guilt on my son, Manius Aemilius, who is not so mentally skilled as to be able to withstand your thin-veiled allegations. Beware, I say, the Aemilii are watching. Acknowledge your guilt or may the Gods send down their furies on you !

* Angryly storms out of the senate to return to his command staff *

TinCow
08-09-2006, 23:57
With the destruction of Consular I Army and the death of the Pro-Consul, it is clear that Publius Laevinus has brought down the wrath of Romulus himself upon us. Let us continue this trial with haste, that justice may be done and at least some measure of appeasement may be given to the Divine Founder. We cannot wipe away the stain which he has inflicted upon us until the Eagle is restored, but perhaps this action will at least grant us the favor of time before yet another demonstration of the Gods displeasure is required!

Lucjan
08-10-2006, 02:13
*Servius stands, a long stare given to senator Laevinius*

I stand firm with my grandfather's opinion in this matter senator...whatever the outcome of this case, you will forever be condemned in my eyes. The Aemilii will always be watching senator. If it is the last honorable deed you ever do, admit your guilt and accept your punishment for such blatant negligence of your legion.

econ21
08-11-2006, 00:47
A finely dressed woman walks purposefully into the court room. Eyebrows are raised and mutters heard - a Senate hearing is no place for a woman! But she looks straight ahead and makes for the centre of the court, in front of the judge. Court ushers move to intercept her, but she ignores their guestures and they are reluctant to lay a hand on a woman of such high breeding.

POPPAEA LAEVINUS: Stop this now! I will tell you everything you wish to know! The fall of Jenuensis to the Gauls is the end. The Laevinus family can take no more shame. I will make a full accounting for its misdeeds, I swear by all the gods. The prosecutor, Augustus Verginius, is away doing battle at Jenuensis. When he is done, I will give my testimony and the court may pass its verdict on my husband. And may Rome have mercy upon my family.

econ21
08-11-2006, 14:33
The testimony of Poppaea Laevinus

Now that the prosecutor, Augustus Verginius, has brought some partial redemption of Roman honour by retaking Jenuensis, I can lift my head up enough to make this testimony.

Manius was not always mad, you know. As a younger man, his extravagant lifestyle appeared rake-ish and carefree. His volubility and loquaciousness added to his charm. Where Publius was stern and unyielding in his discipline and his ambition, Manius took the time to enjoy life and the company of others.

The dishonour the fall of Massilia brought Rome is not primarily Manius's or that of my husband Publius, it is mine. As a young woman, I strayed. Even though I was married to Publius, my heart wandered and for a time I believe I loved Manius. This shameful secret had to be concealed at all costs. Manius was Publius's Tribune - and even his supposed friend. I sometimes wonder if the burden of keeping the secret helped push Manius over the edge.

But when Manius did descend into the strange darkness of his current state of mind, the secret was not safe. For all his ravings, Manius could sometimes let slip truths that were plain for all to see, if only they could look past his hootings and his deranged demeanour. Indeed, much of the testimony he has given you in this court is the truth. He fought bravely at Massilia Ford. He slew many Gauls in hand to hand combat and fell, badly wounded, being left for dead on the field. He led the Legion to the best of his, limited, abilities and cannot be faulted for what he did that day.

Yes, Manius can tell the truth. And it was only a matter of time before the truth about our past liaison came to light in front of my austere husband. But it was in the timing of that revelation that the gods were most cruel. Just as the Gauls were stealthily approaching the Massilia ford, Manius and Publius got into a bitter argument. Manius now despised his old friend. Although insanity had robbed him both of his feelings for me and even his memory of them, they still left him with a lurking distaste for and resentment towards my husband. For his part, Publius could not cope with Manius's insanity. Publius he is not a man to bear fools lightly at the best of times. Being assigned such a Tribune was something he took as yet another slight against him by the men who had repeatedly defeated him in elections for First Consul. On that fateful day, in the heat of their argument, my past relationship with Manius was revealed. Manius fled our villa and rode to the camp, while Publius sought me out and confronted me.

So it came to be that when messengers arrived at the camp, bringing news of the arrival of the Gauls at Massilia ford, it was Manius who was there to respond to them. He did not send word to Publius and under his desultory command, the men were only slowly organised for battle. By the time, they arrived at the ford, the Gauls were already across. Instead of a simple river defence, the battle became a confused meeting engagement, with the balance of advantage swinging this way and that, until the superior numbers of the Gauls finally told and my disgrace became Rome's.

And so I come to my husband's guilt. Publius is a proud man, but an honest one. In his testimony, he sought to distract and frustrate the court so that our private shame would not come to light. But things have gone too far and I speak now with his blessing. He heard the call of battle. He knew Manius was in command of the legion and probably in far over his head. But in his anger and in his fury, he refused to ride to the ford. Perhaps in his rage, he even hoped Manius would fall to the Gauls. The shame of this inaction has haunted him ever since. By my confessing it fully, we hope to atone by accepting whatever punishment the Senate deems fit.

08-11-2006, 18:44
It pleases me greatly to see my son Manius Aemilius publicly acquitted of wrongdoing. What he might be lacking in leadership skills, which Publius Laevinius failed to provide to his everlasting shame, he makes up for in bravery on the field. I therefore ask our praetor, Decius Curtius, to release him from prosecution or giving further evidence (to all our relief) so he can resume his military career.

Lucjan
08-11-2006, 20:23
This is what we have been trying to say to the senate all along, clearly, with Publius's own wife testifying that he refused to ride to the ford and take command, my father's innocence is proven.

TinCow
08-11-2006, 23:38
This is a sad set of circumstances which brings a wife to testify against her husband. A woman publicly declares that her husband is a cuckold, of a madman no less, and simultaneously betrays him in a court of law. Were she not my own mother-in-law, I would be sorely tempted to flog her and banish her from the Republic. These are the acts of a traitorous dog which cares nothing for family honor nor Roman duty.

Regardless, she is not on trial here, though I would willingly support such an act if someone chose to bring it. The fact that Publius Laevinus was overcome with emotion does not excuse the negligent decisions that have brought us here! There are certain standards of Roman manhood that are expected of all citizens. Higher still are those of patrician families. Foremost amongst the patricians, the Senators are held to an exceptional level of conduct in public affairs. Yet, for all of this, the Princeps Senatus is the man who should be the symbol to us all of proper Roman behavior. Perhaps the circumstances could excuse Publius Laevinus if he were a plebian, but it only makes his crime more serious due to his supreme position.

Let the jury decide the verdict. Let the Praetor determine the punishment. Let this disgrace to the Republic be over so that we may cleanse ourselves of this filth.

Braden
08-11-2006, 23:53
Decius enters the chambers, accompanied by his “shady” retainer. He carries several scrolls.

“Senators of this hearing, it now falls to me to summarise what has occurred here, to shed light on what happed at the fateful battle and to recommend punishments for those involved.

To this end I present to you this thesis on the battle, after which I will summarise my findings against each defendant.

It is clear from our findings that the Legion was effectively leaderless and did not deploy in sufficient time to meet the Gauls.

The Gauls attacked in primary two waves. Whilst the Legion could not hope to reach the first wave in time it appears that Manius plunged forward alone and unsupported.

His infantry far behind him he engaged and broke the first few units of the enemy. However, he was swiftly surrounded and deep within the Gallic warriors, but for the timely intervention of the infantry would have fallen there. With their aid the first wave was sent back across the ford. We must note that this was a rash act though essential in order to prevent a much earlier loss.

During this, a full half of the Gallic forces remains on the opposite side of the bank awaiting the result of this initial clash.

The Legio does not pursue the routing first wave and stoutly remains in place to receive the now advancing second wave. The full mass of Gauls throw themselves against the Legio’s centre whilst the Gallic General attempts to outflank them.

To his credit, Manius again throws his own men into the fray but this time outnumbered against the Gallic General. The battle hangs in the balance at this point and the Legio’s centre is heavily pressed.

A unit of mercenary slingers rush to support Manius in his struggle but shortly afterwards Manius retreats from the Gallic General leaving the slingers to perish. There is no escape for Manius this time however as his remaining few horses are chased down and Manius himself is unseated and left for dead.

The Gallic general now turns his attention to the Legio’s hard pressed centre and charges in. I have noted that at this juncture in the battle there was a full Cohort of Princeps who had not been committed into combat. Perhaps their earlier intervention could have swung the balance significantly.

Soon the remaining forces engaged are the brave and seasoned Triarii but as they also guard the Legio’s Eagle they finally decided to try and save this icon. At this point is when the Princeps join battle in order to buy time for the Triarii to make good their retreat. However, the Princeps are vastly outnumbered and have no chance. Their obvious bravery leads to the remainder of the Legio to re-group and re-enter the battle……in hindsight a quite inept tactical move but understandable given the circumstances.

They are outnumbered and shaken and when finally the Princeps are destroyed they take flight. The remaining Triarii are cut down by the Gallic General himself and the Eagle taken.

Senators, I have surmised that IF there had been effective leadership that day we would have certainly had victory and it is on this basis that I file the following summary to the Senate on the defendants.

Manius. I officially find him utterly insane by any standards and certainly unfit for any positions or tasks that require rational judgement, also due to this I can only fail to apportion blame to him for the loss of the Legio Eagle. From this point I strongly recommend that he is removed of any military command, I would also recommend he spend a sojourn in our best Academies in the hope that the rigour and teaching thereof can calm his confused mind and steady his sensibilities.

On Senator Publius Laevinus; I cannot fail to reach the following judgement….he is Guilty of Gross Misconduct and Dereliction of Duty to the Republic of Roma. I must ignore any personal reasons he might have had to leave a Legion, his Legion, in the hands of a mad-man for any period of time for when someone is a serving member of the Republics armed forces it is their Duty to the Republic that comes first. Beyond anything, including self and family. I will appraise the Senate of my recommended punishments separately and leave it to the Senate to finally decide his fate.

Now, I find it comes to me of the sad duty of passing a judgement against a woman. Poppaea Laevinus. I have no option but to find her conduct implicit in the fate of the Legio Eagle, though she could not have forseen this. Such conduct is utterly unfitting of a woman of nobility! Yet, my options for punishing her heinous transgressions are limited. Ultimately, such punishments are the prerogative of the husband and do not exclude Poppaea’s putting to death by Publius. Suffice to say that any punishment meated out to Publius will also be granted to Poppaea, should Publius choose not to divorce her."

Decius, rises, bows to the Senate and leaves.