PDA

View Full Version : Laptop For University

Ice
08-04-2006, 22:08
Well, the time has finally come for me to say goodbye to my desktop and say hell to a new laptop that I will be using for the next few years at University. I have a limit of around $1500 to spend. This amount is flexible, but nothing to much please. I am not interested in building my own laptop mostly because my parents will never go for the idea (After all, much of that money is there's). So which company/deal/model would you recommend? I'm just trying to price out different combinations before I buy one.

Oh and finally. It would be nice, but not necessary that would be able to run games like ME II, even on low settings.

Kekvit Irae
08-05-2006, 01:53
www.newegg.com has some pretty nice deals. Unless you live in California, Tennessee, or New Jersey, there's no sales tax (unlike Gateway, Dell, and other prebuilt places).
I got a great laptop (using it now) for only 550 plus 12 in shipping.

Reenk Roink
08-07-2006, 14:40
It's cheaper at Michigan... (http://showcase.itcs.umich.edu/)

They only have Dell as a choice (unless you want a Mac), but it is a little cheaper if you buy it through the University. Also, the software is cheaper from the University as well. :2thumbsup:

Ice
08-08-2006, 08:01
It's cheaper at Michigan... (http://showcase.itcs.umich.edu/)

They only have Dell as a choice (unless you want a Mac), but it is a little cheaper if you buy it through the University. Also, the software is cheaper from the University as well. :2thumbsup:

bah, RR, i already bought one from dell.

doc_bean
08-09-2006, 17:41
Does it have to be a laptop ? If it is any option at all, I'd say go for a desktop...

Ice
08-10-2006, 20:51
Does it have to be a laptop ? If it is any option at all, I'd say go for a desktop...

Well, I want to take to class, the library... etc. So a laptop made the most sense. The only pity is it has a 950 intel graphics acc. for a video card. It sucks, I know. Looks like my gaming days are over. :sweatdrop:

doc_bean
08-10-2006, 21:48
Do you need a laptop in class, doesn't the library have its own computers ?

Don't get me wrong, if a laptop is what you want go ahead and get one. It's just that I don't really care for them: they're still to big and heavy to carry around easily, defeating the point of getting one, they're far less powerful than an equally priced desktop and it's harder to replace parts and most importantly, they seem to have a much shorter lifespan than the average desktop (not just getting outdated, but I know a lot of people who've had their laptop fail completely after 2 years or so).

I was tempted to get one a few years ago, but now I'm glad I didn't, the portability is overrated and I still vastly prefer working long hours on a desktop with a decent keyboard, mouse and screen.

Evil_Maniac From Mars
08-11-2006, 03:07
I'd personally spend around 400 of it on a laptop, since it seems you want it mainly for typing, and buy a decent desktop with the rest of it.

But I'm one of those die-hard gaming types, and I despise laptops for all purposes except Solitaire and the occasional bit of typing, if I have no other choice, so don't take my advice. :book:

Ice
08-11-2006, 03:52
Do you need a laptop in class, doesn't the library have its own computers ?

Don't get me wrong, if a laptop is what you want go ahead and get one. It's just that I don't really care for them: they're still to big and heavy to carry around easily, defeating the point of getting one, they're far less powerful than an equally priced desktop and it's harder to replace parts and most importantly, they seem to have a much shorter lifespan than the average desktop (not just getting outdated, but I know a lot of people who've had their laptop fail completely after 2 years or so).

I was tempted to get one a few years ago, but now I'm glad I didn't, the portability is overrated and I still vastly prefer working long hours on a desktop with a decent keyboard, mouse and screen.

I actually got the smallest one they had. 14.1 inch with a weight of 5.3 lbs. The library has computers, but I'd prefer to do work on my own, save it, and maybe continue it in my dorm room. I also would prefer to take class notes on it during class. It just suits my needs better.

It really isn't to bad, minus the piss poor video card.

Dell E1405, Intel Core Processor Duo T2400 (2MB/1.83GHz/667MHz)
14.1 Inch TrueLife Wide-screenWXGA+, for Inspiron 640M/E1405
1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 533MHZ,2 DIMM for Inspiron 640M/E1405
ntel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950 GM, for Inspiron 640M/E1405( I had no other choice)
100GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive for Inspiron 640M/E1405
8X DVD+/-RW Drive for Inspiron640M/E1405
SoundBlaster Advanced Audio, for Inspiron 640M/E1405
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps) for Inspiron 640M/E1405
85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery, for Inspiron 640M/E1405

More, but that is the important stuff.

doc_bean
08-11-2006, 11:00
I usually just write files to my webspace or use a memory stick :2thumbsup:

But like I said it's personal opinion, I know people who wouldn't think about getting a desktop. I hope you're (and will continue to be) happy with your purchase ! :2thumbsup: