PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the power button

tibilicus
08-12-2006, 16:17
Well my problem is as follows a rather annoying one. Some tiems, not often but sometimes when my pc shuts down it hnags on windows is shutting down. Holding down the power button wont work neiter will the reboot button so only choice is to turn the power button on and of. I have tried various thgis and I am still looking for a fix to this problem. The onyl thing that bothers me is corution of my HD but I think the ebst part of windows has shut down so this is minimal. I was jsut wodnerign though using the power button can it in anyway damage your hardware? Spending a few more second shutting down by having to reboot and shutdown properly is one thing but damaged hardware is another. Mainly worried about the mother bored among anythign esle. Any help to make me less paranoid much aprechiated.

Tib

Papewaio
08-15-2006, 03:22
Is it installing an update?

Does it normally happen after it has been on for a long time?

tibilicus
08-15-2006, 20:28
It's normaly after it's been on for a while. The only thign that soem tiems doesn't work right is the modem takes 2 atpempts to dial instead of one. I also found out that some one who I was playing BI with last night has this problem and he found before shutting down the pc disconnect then unplug the Modem worked. I may try that as im thinking maby the modem is stll staying active to the pc which is stopping it from shutting down.

Tib

Geezer57
08-16-2006, 01:28
Your problem isn't really all that uncommon - I've encountered lots of machines that became cantankerous after running for a lengthly period. Often you just have to use the power switch in the rear of the case (or pull the power cord if it's an inexpensive unit w/out the switch) to power it down completely, then do a cold-boot after a while. Even with WinXP + SP2 and all the updates, I like to cold-boot my machine twice a week, just to keep it fresh.

Other (more extreme) cases need a Windows refresh (reinstall) to clean up some random garbage that's infested the machine, so your milage may vary. But I wouldn't worry too much about damaging your hardware - that's very unlikely.

Xiahou
08-16-2006, 04:39
More than likely, it's already shutdown for all intents and purposes- so turning the power off at that point probably isnt really doing much harm. Personally, I doubt it's a hardware problem. :shrug:

caravel
08-16-2006, 10:50
There are many possible reasons for this. Try checking your logs from administrative tools. There could be a hardware device that has trouble stopping, which is usually a driver problem.

tibilicus
08-16-2006, 13:03
I have tried alot of thigns including checking my BIOS settings and seeing if everythigns good there. As long as it's doing no harm im happy. Also im still suspicious of my modem so will continue to un plug it before shut down.

Thanks for the info anyway good to hear im not damaging any of my hardware. I take it seeming my pc is at the point where it's already shut down switching it of at the back would jsut be the same as it actually shutting down?

Tib