PDA

View Full Version : Avernii Guide (should be pretty much the same as audei too!

Darkarbiter
08-20-2006, 12:35
Will add more as i go along.

Contents:
Part 1 General EB tips
Part 2 Starting position and culturally specific things
Part 3 Overveiw of buildings and units
Part 4 Tips for campaign
Part 5 battle tips
Part 6 a little about my avernii campaign

**********Part 1*********
In order to make your civilisation succesfull in EB you need to make sure you understand the economy. EB is not like RTW were the actual price of units didnt matter its just how big your barracks is and how many barracks you have. Most of your income in EB will be from either taxes or trade so control of these is vital. Build buildings that first off get your law up to 80% second off get your military running and third off get enough money flowing in. If you fight your battles make sure you get a feel for your units strengths and weaknesses. If you feel like you cant fight cavlry well then just autocalc cavlry battles.

***************Part 2***************
The avernii are a barbarian faction and are one of the 2 tribes of gaul that are represented in EB. You initially start off with 3 towns right next to each other sandwiched between the audei towns and sorounded by rebels. The audei forces are more spread out then yours so you can use this to your advantage and take them out early if you wish you also start out at war with them. The audei are allied to the romans although this holds no significance apart from they will not attack each other. Your culture produces good generals and you will usually get stars quickly although your cultures governing skills are not quite so good. Control of the gallic tribes will require good generalship and good decision making. The avernii i would rate as 6/10 because facing the sweboz and rome is pretty hard sometimes if you dont know how to use your units just right
******************Part 3*******************
Being a barbariran faction you get all the buildings up to the third teir so in order to be as well off financially you will need more cities then some civilised factions however your temples make up for this in giving bonuses to military units. The type one and 2 governments are pretty much only able to be built in the area of modern day france and stretching out a bit more to the east. This is plenty of room (and settlements) to forge an empire though. Type one governments yeild a bonus to trade goods and +1 to morale. Type 2 gives +1 to morale and +10% happiness. Type 3 gives +10% happiness and trade goods increase and +1 to morale whilst type 4 gives a 2% tax increase and -5% law and +1xp to morale. This makes for pretty stable settlements after the governement is built and high morale troops produced.

Your units are usually armoured with cloth only and a sheild with around 4/5 defence and have high defense skill while some also wear helmets. You will also make good use of javelins and occasionly archers depending on what you build/hire. Fighting barbarians will be relitivly easy and also the romans before their reforms. The main thing to keep in mind is scare the crap outta the enemy and you win. A shower of javelins as well as gaesate nearby will rout most units while a shower of javelins and gaesate and flaming arrows and a cavlry charge should rout all but the most robust.

***********************part 4***********************
If you take a look at the faction selection screen it appears that you have a province below the alps and so do the audei. You both have 3 provinces and the audei have one below the alps while you are more concentrated. Use this to your advantage and take them out early or at least take out all but their province in the alps.

Fondor_Yards
08-20-2006, 19:07
Just a few things. You can't build type 1's in france *at least I couldn't*. Type 4 governments give a +1 exp bonus, not +1 morale. And as long as you build the celtic academy buildings, most governors will have max magnement. The Galla ethic type is very good at mangement, as are most others.

Darkarbiter
08-21-2006, 04:00
Theres more to management then management though

Mujalumbo
08-21-2006, 09:19
Looks good so far, man.

Remind 'em that gov't buildings can be demolished and re-built. So slapping in a quick type 4 or type 3 temporarily is actually a valid move.

Averni start out in a slugfest with the Aedui and the Romanii, if I'm not mistaken. Some tactical hints for dealing with the Romanii aside from "piles of Gesatae" might be helpful, for the Averni, Casse, and Aedui.

You're right, economy in EB is far different; might be helpful to explain how, exactly. Unit recruitment and upkeep is sky-high, compared to vanilla and most other mods. However, many happiness buildings means less of a reliance on garrison when managing settlements. Means one can focus on keeping units in the field instead of babysitting at home.

BTW, Aedui have a problem, maybe Averni do - eventually, piles of elite Carthaginian troops come pouring up from the South. Might need tips on how to deal with them, as well.

Fondor_Yards
08-21-2006, 23:16
Theres more to management then management though

Erm what do you mean then? I find my celtic governors to be just as skilled as my greek ones.

Avicenna
08-22-2006, 02:20
I think he means that management scrolls aren't everything. Effective management of a settlement usually means having traits and ancillaries that reduce squalor and unrest, and increase law and happiness. Management scrolls just give extra money. Keeping the settlement happy allows it to stay as yours and not rebel, and also allows you to bump up the tax, which is the main moneymaker in EB (unless you're a faction with lots of mines).

Darkarbiter
08-22-2006, 07:36
Koinon hellenon make a lot of money from trade as well as kart hadast dont forget. Avernii are not a trading faction though.

Trithemius
08-23-2006, 01:09
I think he means that management scrolls aren't everything. Effective management of a settlement usually means having traits and ancillaries that reduce squalor and unrest, and increase law and happiness. Management scrolls just give extra money. Keeping the settlement happy allows it to stay as yours and not rebel, and also allows you to bump up the tax, which is the main moneymaker in EB (unless you're a faction with lots of mines).

Influence Wreaths are almost more important I think. I find that it's pretty hard for large towns to not make some income, whereas it can get difficult trying to keep the buggers happy. :)

NeoSpartan
08-24-2006, 00:53
Also, make sure u don't loose too many guys when fighiting against the Aedui (in my case i had to fight the Arveni) in the Civil War.

The best thing to do is to move ur army into enemy territory and place them "ON TOP OF A HILL". The AI will then attack and once the battle starts u will be fighting Down Hill :2thumbsup:.

Oh for the Romans and Carthage. 1-Fight in the Bushes (trees, forestes, etc), 2-Fight downhill, 3-Fight in the winter. At least fight them in any of the 3 places. I fought Roman Triarii, Principes, and Samnites, UP HILL, on H/H, with equal numbers, and I WON. HOW??? I was in Da' Bushes'.

Avicenna
08-24-2006, 04:19
Athens has lots of happiness though, I could probably desert it and leave it on very high taxes, and still keep it. Pella's the bigger problem out of my 2 moneymakers, as I need my best miner to govern there. That one's a real pain though, since he has lots of squalor and unrest increasing traits, as well as 0 influence.

Slartibardfast
09-02-2006, 05:44
Averni start out in a slugfest with the Aedui and the Romanii, if I'm not mistaken. Some tactical hints for dealing with the Romanii aside from "piles of Gesatae" might be helpful, for the Averni, Casse, and Aedui.

Have a couple of light cavalry units to send forward and harass the slower Roman infantry and give the Roman nobs on horses something to run around after.Use one to also harass any screening velites that try to advance out of cover.

The default infantry wedge is good on the flat and from a hilltop, but if your advancing using the lay of the land an inclined line weighted with your best troops at its head is also helpful. If you can have a few archers to cover their advance so much the better. Also remember that most of your infantry, with the exception of Solduri and the Helvetian short pikemen, will be faster than the Romans so you can get up hill fast, give the boys a rest and if it wasn't Ben Nevis they should be able recover quick enough.

If you can lure in a few nobs on horses and wack the enemy general with your heavy cavalry before the infantry can get there brilliant. The more agressive adventurous Roman generals will often go out of their way help you accomplish this so its sometimes advantageous to deploy your troops with this in mind.

The real key is the Gallic charge.

Postpone the infantry charge as long as possible. Lob javelins, stop charging forward units and issue war cries repeatedly and bring up trailing infantry units slowly to lob in support.

Once the charge is on, best when no ones got any javelins left, go with it and charge with the head of your line, get the supporting infantry to give a war cry, point them at a target and let them get on with it to lob more javelins and charge in their own time. Run the cavalry up the weighted flank, get rid of any remaining nobs on horses, and charge the flank and rear of engaged enemy infantry. Dont leave them there too long though, against Roman Triarii or even Princeps, the casualties can be horrific if they get stuck. Biting attacks with the light cavalry charging in as the Gallic nobs pull away to regroup for the beginning of successive waves of cavalry charges. When breaking an enemy unit, and if at all possible, issue your victorious infantry units with a war cry before moving them through holes and flanks to create further mayhem.

If the charge is timed right a large unlead Rebel army willl crack, melt and the entire force will flee in quick order. With the Romans they're harder to crack especially the Triarii so make them walk and fill them with as many arrows as possible before charging.

If your general is the energetic type get him to lead the first enemy unit rout and follow up into the nearest enemy flank to trigger the next. Chargings very Gallic so he'll tend to gain command stars, influence wreaths and pick up better martial traits and ancillaries.

Finally merge experienced units, and keep them elite so the infantry head and cavalry have as many cheverons as possible. Use these as the core attacking troops for your various armies. Even with a newly recruited trailing line of inexperienced locals or mercenaries, these guys will be capable of triggering routs in larger enemy forces.

If your on the offensive strategically destroy all enemy government building emmediately and use the funds to build your own, recruit a small garrison and moove on.

Oh! And don't trust anyone especially the Romans.

NeoSpartan
09-02-2006, 11:16
Nice and detailed. Good one man. But there is one pt I disagree with you

.....especially the Triarii so make them walk and fill them with as many arrows as possible before charging. ....

If ur playing H or VH battle difficulty. Arrows, Rocks, and Javs, ain't goint to do jack to Triarii. In my 2nd battle with the romans I had a unit of Triarii coming to my line in phalnax formation, the rest of the roman army was close enough. So what happened, I had 1 unit of Archers and Sligers raining hell on them, PLUS 1 Gagaestrae (sp) and 2 Malas Gaoras (sp) throw all thier javerlings. Once the Triarii made concatact out of 80 men, they lost 2!!!! (also, Samnites have a LOT of armor too)

I would suggest spend ur missisles (archers & slingers) on Hestati, Principes (maybe), and other units. They will kill more than 2 guys for sure. Making it easier of ur troops to rout those particular units and open holes in the Roman line.

Slartibardfast
09-02-2006, 18:52
Nice and detailed. Good one man. But there is one pt I disagree with you

If ur playing H or VH battle difficulty. Arrows, Rocks, and Javs, ain't goint to do jack to Triarii.

Cheers!