PDA

View Full Version : Widescreen TVs and inputs

Azi Tohak
08-28-2006, 14:41
I bought a 1080i TV from a friend of mine and I have been playing with it (I'm not at home much so I'm still new to it) but I have a question. I have my GC hooked up to it and when I play RE4, it looks squished. Leon (and Ashley and all the ganados) all look kind of odd. But when I put Wind Waker in, it looks fantastic, but I can't tell if is squished or the top and bottom were just cut off.

Could someone please explain to me how widescreens interpret standard inputs?

Azi

Xiahou
08-29-2006, 02:47
Perhaps some games dont "recognize" the wide-screen and looked stretched? I had a similar experience with a portable DVD player- some would play using the full screen, while others would be smushed in the middle with the letterboxing still at the top and bottom. In that case, the only option I found was to manually change the screen size on the player for those few movies.

Perhaps there is a similar setting on your TV for aspect ratio?

lars573
08-29-2006, 03:52
I bought a 1080i TV from a friend of mine and I have been playing with it (I'm not at home much so I'm still new to it) but I have a question. I have my GC hooked up to it and when I play RE4, it looks squished. Leon (and Ashley and all the ganados) all look kind of odd. But when I put Wind Waker in, it looks fantastic, but I can't tell if is squished or the top and bottom were just cut off.

Could someone please explain to me how widescreens interpret standard inputs?

Azi
If the GC had a 16:9 setting you'd see it in the consoles internal config menu. The reason your RE5 (horrible game BTW) looks "squished". It's not acutally squished it's stretched. Reason is it's a 4:3 stretched onto 16:9 screen. Your TV should have a screen ratio adjustment. Mine has 16:9, zoom1, zoom2, and 4:3. Set the TV to 4:3 and the stretching goes away. But you risk burnin on the sides of the screen.

Azi Tohak
08-29-2006, 04:00
Yup, I know about changing the aspect ratio (why does it have to be grey and not black...?), and I did try it. I just wasn't smart enough to try it with the darned game.

But how would the game know? I always figured that the RCA cables are just a one-way deal. Am I wrong?

Azi

lars573
08-29-2006, 04:13
Your assuming the TV is just a dumb terminal then?

Either way this require investigation. With my GC, my HDTV, and my Windwaker.