PDA

View Full Version : Mercenary Add on pack for Rome Total War

Nebuchadnezzar
08-31-2006, 08:21
I got bored with vanilla's barbarian mercenaries being the only mercenary option available from virtually one end of the map to the other with very little else between so I set out to fix what I thought would take only a weekend but in fact took 3 weeks!

The mod is complete and fully game tested.
Download: Mercenary XPack (http://www.aurumoz.com/totalwar/MXPak.zip)or try our Mercenary XPack Lite (http://www.aurumoz.com/totalwar/MXPL.zip)a Cut down version adding only 4 new mercenary units.

http://www.aurumoz.com/totalwar/thumb2.jpg

Mercenary X pack is a feature packed mercenary add-on for Vanilla Rome Total War that will significantly improve on gameplay and increase difficulty. It does not change the vanilla game in any other way. Add a formation mod to this and you will add further improvement. My personal favourite is Sinuhets latest formations.ai mod but Darths are also good.

WHAT IT DOES

Adds 20 new units to the current mercenary pools.
Redefines existing mercenary pools for high regional dependence. Certain units will only be available in very specific regions.
Limited selection of mercenary types in fringe areas surrounding the Italian peninsula.
Experience level upgrades to units recruited in traditional homelands.
Explore and conquer the far reaches of the map for elite and rare mercenary units but you will need to be patient.
A few bug fixes in the original game files.
A few surprises.

REQUIREMENTS

Rome Total War V1.5 or V1.6 Barbarian Invasion. In most cases it will not work with other mods except formation mods.
This mod is not save game compatable with any previous saves of any version. You must start a new campaign.
Play on hard or very hard for the AI to take advantage of the extra mercenaries.

No special installation instructions are required as it is self installing.

SUPPORT

This mod has been fully tested over several extended campaigns and to my professional knowledge is bug free, however it may still be possible for something to show up.
NOTE: The first requirement is a clean install of RTW patched to V1.5. If you don't have this or you tend to hand modify files on the fly then please re-install RTW, the required patches and then the mod and try again.
No uninstall is provided. Make a back-up copy of your Data folder before installing. If you need to uninstall without a back up copy then you will need to re-install Rome Total war.

SCREEN SHOTS

Britannia players head to Eastern Europe or the Steppes to hire mercenary warband archers.
Archer Warband (http://www.aurumoz.com/totalwar/archer.jpg)

My mainly peasant army
Domus Dulcis Domus (http://www.aurumoz.com/totalwar/Domus.jpg)

But really they didn't have a chance
Victory (http://www.aurumoz.com/totalwar/heroic.jpg)

Head to Germania for some great mercs
Germania Mercs (http://www.aurumoz.com/totalwar/Germania.jpg)

Your comments and suggestions are welcome.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did making it!

Nebuchadnezzar
09-06-2006, 05:49
Minor update to V1.01

# New formation settings for celtic huntsman.
# Redefined replenishment values for several mercenary pools.

No bugs or CTD's encountered.

Nebuchadnezzar
09-18-2006, 04:02
Updated to V 1.10

NEW IN V1.10
# Added new unit Mercenary Nubian Spearmen.
# Further Refined values for several mercenary pools.

Nebuchadnezzar
09-25-2006, 07:27
Big update this time

NEW IN V1.20 (Major)
# New units Mercenary Woad Warriors and Mercenary Skirmisher Warband added.
# Removed units Mercenary Celtic Huntsmen and Mercenary Hypaspists.
# A number of skins redone or improved to provide consistancy with mercenary green colours.
# New unit cards and description images to reflect skin changes.
# Further refined mercenary pools and some replenishment values.

Recommend all users update to the latest version. Its a big improvement.

edyzmedieval
09-25-2006, 18:50
Nice one. ~:)
Gives some more flavour to vanilla. It really became boring with those mercenaries...

Nebuchadnezzar
11-13-2006, 05:33
Minor Update (No version change)

Fixed alpha channel for Woad Warriors image when veiwing detailed description.

Nebuchadnezzar
11-15-2007, 04:40
I've been playing RTW lately but I didn't want the huge gameplay/balance changes from my original Xpack so I put together a cut-down version that adds only 4 new mercenaries.
Woad warriors for Britannia, Axemen for Germania, Archer warband for the Steepes & Eastern Europe and a surprise in the frozen north.

I was pleased with the subtle changes in that it very much remains a vanilla game and so decided to share with anyone that may be interested.

See the first post for download links.

Marcus Furius Camillus
11-21-2007, 17:05
Great job, Nebuchadnezzar, an enrichment to the game.
I saw you used Hypaspist. you got them from the original txt files, I suppose. Would it be possible to MOD these unit's, so I can use them as faction- unit ?

Nebuchadnezzar
11-23-2007, 08:27
Great job, Nebuchadnezzar, an enrichment to the game.
I saw you used Hypaspist. you got them from the original txt files, I suppose. Would it be possible to MOD these unit's, so I can use them as faction- unit ?

Odd! Only the very early versions of Xpack had them. Thought they were a little too powerful th have lying about so I replaced them with pike phalanx.

Either way feel free to use whichever you wish.

Marcus Furius Camillus
11-23-2007, 17:50
Errr... I've got a little problem. When I wanted to download this file, I unzip it, and since I haven't got Winzip, Ijust unzipt it. But I still can't install that pack.

I know this is a noob question, but it's quite unpleasant to try it repeatedly.

MARCVS*FECIT

Nebuchadnezzar
11-25-2007, 00:25
You need an unzip utility to open it. If you havent't got one installed then won't be able to "just unzip it". You will need to install one eg winzip, winrar etc. There are a few free trial versions available.

Unzip it to your desktop and double click MXP.exe. It will install in the right folders provided rome is installed in the default directory. If not use the browse function.

Read the readme Install instructions for more info. If you have never used a zip utility I recommend reading the quick guide for it as well.

Squid
11-26-2007, 17:53
If you have win xp it should have a built in compressin utility that should be able to open a zip file.

Spartan198
02-29-2008, 23:39
Mercenary phalanx pikemen? Cool.
Will this pack work in consort with the Extended Greek Mod?

Makanyane
03-01-2008, 08:28
Top post says "It will not work with any other mods"

I'd recommend believing him :thumbsup:

Spartan198
03-01-2008, 10:00
Top post says "It will not work with any other mods"

I'd recommend believing him :thumbsup:

Uh..yeah. I didn't see that.

Quirinus
03-03-2008, 13:33
Still, if you're playing vanilla, I'd recommend giving this a try. It really enhances vanilla play a lot. I've been using this for ages, almost since it came out.

Definitely a good mod.

Nebuchadnezzar
03-10-2008, 08:07
Ahhh.. thanks so much Quirinus. Always pleased to hear positive feedback.

tomjones99
02-03-2012, 20:36
Is it posssible to copy the texture-files and to edit the 5 txt.files only.
i will translate only the new mercenaries and will copy it into the 5 german txt files.
i hope it works^^

Conquest
04-10-2013, 16:52
will this work with the mundus magnus map?

Ludens
04-11-2013, 14:37
Probably not. Mercenary availability is IIRC determined by the map files. However, Mundus Magnus uses a different map, so it won't work without manual modification of the map files.