PDA

View Full Version : Age of Warlords 2: Total War

The Blind King of Bohemia
09-03-2006, 00:15
I am currently in the latter stages of developing a mod for the original Medieval Total War called Age of Warlords, which encompasses the period from 1154-1550. For a look at the premise of the original mod please see the 'Age of Warlords' thread in the Engineers Guild.

I'm happy with what I have done with the Medieval version in terms of factions, units and other things so really everything research wise is already in place, and with Medieval 2's (hopefully) expanded capabilities I'm really looking for a big upgraded version, which builds on my concepts rather than radically overhaul them.

I am very happy with CA's work on the game so far so like with my Medieval mods I plan to leave a good deal of what they've already done in the game (units, graphics, etc) and basically add to that rather than subtract.

The map will be the same as the one I have designed for Medieval but given the ability to add more provinces it will stretch further West to the Pacific and much further South to the entire West coast of Africa and Peru and Brazil in South America. This is dependent however on the game allowing more factions that 21 (I am hoping for 30), otherwise I will stick with the original map I did for the Age of Warlords 1.

For those of you unfamiliar with the original mod it begins with the accession of the Angevin king Henry II in 1154 and when Barbarossa ruled over the Holy Roman Empire. This campaign is called 'Angevin Ascendancy' and will feature the following factions:

English
French
Holy Roman Empire
Danish
Brittany
Norwegians
Aragonese
County of Hainaut
County of Toulouse
Pisans
Genoese
Papal States
Castilian-Leonese
Scots
Gwynedd
Deheubarth
Connaught
Ui Neills of Ulster
Kingdom of the Isles
Dorset Eskimo
Algonquin Tribes

Now IF I can add more factions (lets say 30, so 9 more) and thus have the bigger map the following will be added:

Portuguese
Almohads
Aztecs
Incas
Mayans
West African faction (TBD)
Norse Atlantic Colonies
Florida-based Indian faction (TBD)
West Coast-based Indian faction (TBD)

The second period is called 'Trial by Fire and Battle' and begins in 1337 at the advent of the Hundred Years War. The factions will include:

English
French
Holy Roman Empire
Danish
Norwegians
Navarresse
Aragonese
Castilian-Leonese
Papal States
Genoese
Milanese
Swiss
Burgundians
Flemish
Brittany
Scots
Lord of the Isles
Ui Neills of Ulster
Earls of Desmond
Inuit Eskimo
Algonquin Tribes

And the possibilities:

Portuguese
Almohads
Western African faction (TBD)
Aztecs
Mayans
Incas
Florida-based Indian faction (TBD)
West Coast-based Indian faction (TBD)
Placeholder, possibly the Tlaxacans.

There will also be a final period starting during the Wars of the Roses, maybe 1460, and will be called 'The Dawn of a New World'. The faction list is yet undecided but I'll post it soon.

I took a break during Rome but Medieval is my period and rather than doing another Super Mod I think this is infinitely more interesting and more unique. Its a lot of work however so I'm hoping to create a team to work on it. What I really need are:

Campaign map maker (I know how to add provinces but unless making maps is radically different to Rome I'm gonna need someone kind enough to get the groundwork done)

Modellers/Skinners (Like goldust I know, but desperately needed. I plan to use a lot of CA's ones but I'd like to add a good few more and the Celtic, Norse, Indian and African factions will need a lot of work, nearly all new rosters)

Animator (Maybe, depends on how many CA do and if that is sufficient enough)

Faction Symbols/Heraldry (There appears to be a lot more work here, what with many heraldric devices now used in battle so a skilled symbol maker is essential)

Battle Map Maker (I'm not sure if any work will need to be done on the maps yet, though its likely places like Iceland, Greenland, the Western Isles, Western Africa and the Americas may need some, but new factions like the North American Indians will definitely need some entirely new architecture for example)

Unit Cards/Info Cards maker

Scriptor

I think that's it for the time being. I don't want a huge team otherwise we'll all be stepping on each other's toes - I really just need about 5-7 people I think. Research wise I'm pretty sound on especially in terms of the British Isles but if anyone wants to chime in on the Northern American and African factions, and maybe also the Welsh especially I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

Duke Dick
09-03-2006, 18:10
I can't believe no-one has replied to this yet.

BKB is a well known and respected modder, I thought there'd be more interest to work with the guy.

Sounds interesting mate, I hope you get the support you need to kickstart things.

william the bastard
09-03-2006, 20:47
We all know that , but wait the first medieval community come back.
BKB is one of our famous modders, so please don't be impatient;time for glory is BACK :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2:
BuT please, let him finish Age of warlords first.:shakehands:

Duke Dick
09-04-2006, 12:06
Hey BKB; did you notice this posted on the official MTW2 site;

The campaign map is divided by a large number of factions including the English and French in Europe, the Egyptians and Moors in Africa, the Aztecs and Mayans in the New World. They'll be 21 factions in total, 17 of which are fully playable in the campaign game.

This could put a quash on your 30 factions plan.

BKB is one of our famous modders, so please don't be impatient;time for glory is BACK :balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2:

Mate, I know that, I know BKB personally.

09-04-2006, 12:12
Well yeah we knew there were 21 factions in the game, hence my back-up plans mentioned in the first post. However, if like VI we can once again add factions, getting up to 30, then the full vision can be realized.

The Spartan (Returns)
09-05-2006, 00:14
good luck Mr. BKB!
sounds very interesting.
always wanted to use Barbarossa in campaign.

JR-
09-17-2006, 10:25
let us hope Soulflames modding questions get answered by CAoz swiftly. :)

Stig
09-17-2006, 11:04
Well yeah we knew there were 21 factions in the game, hence my back-up plans mentioned in the first post. However, if like VI we can once again add factions, getting up to 30, then the full vision can be realized.
I believe that in RTW-Alex they managed to make 1 barbarian faction with loads of little sub factions, don't have the game myself so noway I can check it, but you might be able to do this with MTW2

Afonso I of Portugal
09-27-2006, 22:12
BKB, if you need any help with iberian, African/North African faction feel free to ask. Good luck with your mod!!!

09-27-2006, 22:14
That would be great mate. You have a PM.

Lucas the Great
10-07-2006, 15:10
And the question is: WHY DID YOU FORGET ABOUT POLAND?!?!?!?!

10-07-2006, 15:12
Have you even bothered reading into the mods time frame and focus area before commenting?

Lucas the Great
10-07-2006, 15:15
aah.
it'll be only about conquest of new world and west european history. Sorry, my mistake...

playboytaxi
12-24-2006, 00:42
Hey BKB i love your mod for MTW-my favorite mod. If you can do the same with MT2W will be great. I can help with some Bulgarian units if you can add Bulgaria and Volga Bulgaria.Some of the names and units are wrong.And we need more provinces in Balkans. Is it posible to modify the map so the ships can go into rivers? In last Crusade they go to Nicopolis with ships by Dunave river.
I can do some 3D models.

Darkarbiter
12-24-2006, 04:56
btw rebels take a faction slot

12-24-2006, 11:25
Hey BKB i love your mod for MTW-my favorite mod. If you can do the same with MT2W will be great. I can help with some Bulgarian units if you can add Bulgaria and Volga Bulgaria.Some of the names and units are wrong.And we need more provinces in Balkans. Is it posible to modify the map so the ships can go into rivers? In last Crusade they go to Nicopolis with ships by Dunave river.
I can do some 3D models.

Sorry mate, Bulgaria aren't in this, it only focuses on the Western world.

Fate
12-29-2006, 20:25
Hey there BKB, looks like a great concept for a mod. Id love to give you a hand with research but im busy at the moment, though this mod really has grabbed my interest, and ill be looking forward to it in a few months, if theres any low key stuff you need me to do then, ill do my best to throw my lot in!

BTW, the Boondock Saints owns!! I have the Veritas - Aequitas tattoos!

01-02-2007, 19:05
Thanks for the kind words mate, any help is appreciated. I've been busy myself at the minute but come the end of January I think I'll be ready to start work on the mod.

lord_mongol
10-21-2007, 16:46
BKB, I'm looking to get as much experience as possible working with maps for mods, so count me in, even as a back up guy!