PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Pro x64

The_Doctor
09-05-2006, 17:49
What is the advantage in the "x64" version of Windows XP?

tibilicus
09-05-2006, 21:24
If im right a 32 bit windows runs on a 32 bit processor and 64 bit is designed for a 64 bit processor. Acoriding to my ubuntu Linux cd's sitting enxt to me a 64 bit windows would work better on an AMD opteron for example. Aint an expert though so dont take my word. ;)

Tib

Geezer57
09-05-2006, 23:58
Well, tibilicus is basically right, but there are other factors you'll need to consider. Most of the 64-bit processors out there (except the Intel Itanuim series) are backwards-compatible with 32-bit operating systems and applications, so they work fine in 32-bit. In order to run 64-bit O/S's, you also need 64-bit drivers - which are seldom widely available, and are ususally not as well tested & developed. So there are theoretical benefits to running a 64-bit O/S, but there can also be practical drawbacks at the current time that make those benefits doubtful. Someday, when the driver situation is resolved, that won't be a drawback. Right now, 64-bit operating systems are mostly best left to O/S geeks, who like to tinker with them.

DukeofSerbia
09-06-2006, 17:56
What is the advantage in the "x64" version of Windows XP?

Useless. Don't buy it. Microsoft only published that to show how is that possible. Wait for Vista.